PDA

View Full Version : Gophers targeting Heupel for OC job

sooner13f
1/10/2009, 03:44 PM
:( Heupel targeted by Minnesota. according to Soonerscoop.

SteelCitySooner
1/10/2009, 03:47 PM
Targeted for what? Link?

sooner13f
1/10/2009, 03:48 PM
OC.
http://oklahoma.rivals.com/

SteelCitySooner
1/10/2009, 03:50 PM
Would hate to see him go, but its certainly the next step for him.. He's going to be a hell of a HC someday..

TXBOOMER
1/10/2009, 04:05 PM
I would be shocked if he took that job. Josh is going to be OUr OC in the next few years.

OUHOMER
1/10/2009, 04:08 PM
I would be shocked if he took that job. Josh is going to be OUr OC in the next few years.

He can go get some experience and come back.

soonersweetie
1/10/2009, 04:16 PM
I'm selfish. He needs to stay right where he is at. OU needs you.

batonrougesooner
1/10/2009, 04:20 PM
More power too him. He's earned it.

soonerfan28
1/10/2009, 04:38 PM
He's gone if they offer.

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 04:40 PM
He has earned it alright, but he can do better than Minnesota.

fadada1
1/10/2009, 04:56 PM
he's definitely earned it and it's the next logical step. the only other scenario would be for wilson to get a HC job somewhere, and josh to step up to OC. then, of course, you might have some issues with gundy not getting promoted.

i hope he stays, but he's definitely earned whatever promotions that might come his way.

olevetonahill
1/10/2009, 04:57 PM
I feel the same about Him leaving as I do SAM .
Whatever they want to Do Is Fine By me .
I would Rather they Both Stay , But Its their Lives .

achiro
1/10/2009, 05:04 PM
It would be good for him to step out of this system and work with some other coaches for a while. We can always call him back when we need an OC.:D

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 05:28 PM
It would be good for him to step out of this system and work with some other coaches for a while. We can always call him back when we need an OC.:D

We needed one when we were on the goal line Thursday night! ;) :D

BigDeezy
1/10/2009, 05:30 PM
if Sam goes we'll need him more than ever.

southern sooner
1/11/2009, 08:14 PM
Just read they are interested in him as their next OC. He said he grew up as a fan, do you guys think he will bolt for the job promotion?

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2009, 08:24 PM
He is not ready for an NFL Coor. job. But if he does go....I wish him luck.

StoopTroup
1/11/2009, 08:25 PM
I think it's hard to say. I think he's got a great Career ahead of him. I know he knows how much he's loved here at OU and how all of us would understand if he took the job if offered. I think it depends on him as he has been elsewhere and then come back...if it's a good fit for him there and he feels ready...I wish him the best.

OU-HSV
1/11/2009, 08:26 PM
Can we get a link for whatever it was you read?

StoopTroup
1/11/2009, 08:26 PM
He is not ready for an NFL Coor. job. But if he does go....I wish him luck.

The Gophers not the Vikes is how I read that.

OUHOMER
1/11/2009, 08:27 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128380

OU-HSV
1/11/2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks. Sorry southernsooner, looks like someone beat ya to it. :D

StoopTroup
1/11/2009, 08:29 PM

Easy fix...merge?

SOONER STEAKER
1/11/2009, 08:34 PM
If Josh wants to eventually become a HC this would be a good move for him as I don't see him becoming the HC at OU any time soon. Look at what leaving OSU did for Mike Gundy, he had stops at Baylor & Maryland before he got his goldmine job at OSU. I think this would be a great move for Josh. Get some experience as being a OC and maybe with some success a great lead into a HC gig.

TXBOOMER
1/11/2009, 08:39 PM
I would hate to lose him. He has done a heck of a job with Sam. He is also a very calming presence. He has to be a great recruiter considering the fact he was the winning QB of a NC game. But he will need to prove himself as a OC before getting a HC job.

Curly Bill
1/11/2009, 08:40 PM
Could we maybe keep Josh and send them Kevin Wilson? ;)

1890MilesToNorman
1/11/2009, 09:26 PM
Has Josh devised a game plan or even called the plays in a game yet? I think he needs more experience before he's offered an NFL OC position.

MamaMia
1/11/2009, 09:34 PM
Josh cant leave because I'll throw myself in front of his moving van.

tulsaoilerfan
1/11/2009, 09:36 PM
Has Josh devised a game plan or even called the plays in a game yet? I think he needs more experience before he's offered an NFL OC position.

It's the Gophers, not the Vikings, although anything would be an improvement over Chilly and Bevell

Boomer Mooner
1/11/2009, 09:39 PM
Hate to see him go but I wish him the best. He's definitely one of the good ones.

1890MilesToNorman
1/11/2009, 09:47 PM
It's the Gophers, not the Vikings, although anything would be an improvement over Chilly and Bevell

OOps, I should pay more attention! :rolleyes:

royalfan5
1/11/2009, 10:09 PM
More importantly, he will get to team up with ex-NU DC Kevin Cosgrove with the Gophers.

BigRedJed
1/11/2009, 10:29 PM
First, I'd hate to see him go, especially if next year involves bringing along a new QB at OU.

Second, he is eminently qualified. He has played and coached under some pretty impressive OCs, and won a MNC as a quarterback that most people called a "coach on the field." He was a Heisman runnerup, should have won, played with/GA coached a guy who did win it, and developed yet another guy who won it, this year. Plus, his dad was a coach. It is well known that he was actively breaking down game film before he was even a teenager.

Third, being hired as OC for Minnesota ain't quite the same as being hired as OC for Oklahoma. Not nearly the pressure, and he'll have a chance to grow. It's not like it's a bad program, though; Bud Wilkinson came from there and was part of teams that claimed 3 national championships, and the school claims 3 more after that. So depending on who you listen to, they have as many as six championships. Also, they move into a brand new stadium, on campus, this fall. Exciting time to be there, I'd guess.

Finally, Josh could unleash his version of the spread on the Big 10 and really do some damage over the next couple of years, even with less than spectacular talent. That conference and their plodding, non-athletic teams would never know what hit them. In conference, it could resemble the offensive success that OU had in 1999-2000 when he was quarterbacking. Could be a pretty tempting job for him.

Pigface1
1/11/2009, 10:33 PM
I'm sure a lot of teams are interested in getting him. He's a God here, so hopefully he's not seriously considering it if it's true.

delhalew
1/11/2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the extra info on Minn. Jed. It bears repeating, I'd sure miss him. Of course, wish him well whatever his decision.

IBleedCrimson
1/11/2009, 10:45 PM
i would miss him, but he deserves that next opportunity

OUstud
1/11/2009, 11:29 PM
I don't want him to go, but I wouldn't blame him for wanting to work with AD...speaking of, why do they call him that? It's not Adrian Deterson!

delhalew
1/12/2009, 12:14 AM
I don't want him to go, but I wouldn't blame him for wanting to work with AD...speaking of, why do they call him that? It's not Adrian Deterson!

You're screwing around...right. I mean I'll tell you. I just feel like I'm walking into something. I mean theres a lot wrong with that post.

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2009, 03:17 AM
The Gophers not the Vikes is how I read that.
I just read minnesota....didnt read the soonerscoop thing.

my bad.

If so...I hope he stays.

SteelClip49
1/12/2009, 09:34 AM
Minnesota has at times tried to get back what it once was but it will always be hard to overtake PSU, Michigan and tOSU. Technically, Minnesota has the most national titles in the Big Ten (1934-36, 40-41, 60). But they have not been relevant really since. Bud Wilkinson would be proud.

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 10:41 AM
I just read minnesota....didnt read the soonerscoop thing.

my bad.

If so...I hope he stays.

No biggie...you just gave him a huge compliment IMO. :D

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 10:46 AM
First, I'd hate to see him go, especially if next year involves bringing along a new QB at OU.

Second, he is eminently qualified. He has played and coached under some pretty impressive OCs, and won a MNC as a quarterback that most people called a "coach on the field." He was a Heisman runnerup, should have won, played with/GA coached a guy who did win it, and developed yet another guy who won it, this year. Plus, his dad was a coach. It is well known that he was actively breaking down game film before he was even a teenager.

Third, being hired as OC for Minnesota ain't quite the same as being hired as OC for Oklahoma. Not nearly the pressure, and he'll have a chance to grow. It's not like it's a bad program, though; Bud Wilkinson came from there and was part of teams that claimed 3 national championships, and the school claims 3 more after that. So depending on who you listen to, they have as many as six championships. Also, they move into a brand new stadium, on campus, this fall. Exciting time to be there, I'd guess.

Finally, Josh could unleash his version of the spread on the Big 10 and really do some damage over the next couple of years, even with less than spectacular talent. That conference and their plodding, non-athletic teams would never know what hit them. In conference, it could resemble the offensive success that OU had in 1999-2000 when he was quarterbacking. Could be a pretty tempting job for him.

I think all those are valid points...but I'd like to see Josh as OC and then HC at Oklahoma and then bring a few NC's into the Switzer Center...I think Josh should consider Minn his retirement job when he's 50 or 60. :D

Oldnslo
1/12/2009, 10:50 AM
If he were my kid, I'd tell him to go learn everything he could learn, succeed, and then come back.

He'll be a Sooner all his life, no matter where he's getting a paycheck.

BigRedJed
1/12/2009, 11:06 AM
The REAL question is not whether he is qualified to be OC for the Gophers, it is would he be ready to jump to an OC position at Oklahoma? Maybe not right now. As much as OU fans love him, a lot of people would probably question elevating him should KW leave in the next couple of years.

Which is perhaps a good reason for him to go help build another program; so that he is ready to come back here with some coordinator-level success under his belt. Just like coaching for Mike at Arizona legitimized his return to OU a couple of years ago. Also, a young coach can always benefit from being exposed to the style of multiple head coaches. Witness Stoops tutelage under Hayden Frye, Bill Snyder and Steve Spurrier. He took important facets of his style from each.

I'm not suggesting that he should go, and selfishly don't want him to. I'm just guessing at what might be running through his mind. I will say this: if he takes it, I would still suspect we have not seen the last of Josh Heupel on the Oklahoma sidelines.

Rhino
1/12/2009, 02:24 PM
He turned it down.

BigRedJed
1/12/2009, 02:26 PM
Sweet! Good news for OU.

boomermagic
1/12/2009, 02:35 PM
I can't believe it.. WOW, That is great news...

sooner13f
1/12/2009, 02:56 PM
YES! Best news I have heard all day!

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2009, 05:56 PM
Wow.

I am thinking this may bode well for Sam staying.

delhalew
1/12/2009, 06:04 PM
I'm glad he's staying, but I think Jed was spot on with the benefits of experience.

oubose
1/12/2009, 07:48 PM
I'm very happy that he's staying in Norman, I watched him play in South Dakota as a kid and what a player he was WOW!

I bet he called up here and found out it was -10 right now with blizzard conditions and said to hell with that.

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2009, 07:57 PM
If Heupel would have left, even if Sam stayed I be a little nervous. I think if Sam stays Heupel will have that guy calling audibles from the line.

OU-HSV
1/12/2009, 08:35 PM
He turned it down.

Cool, I'll take your word for it. I looked back on soonerscoop.com and didn't see anything new yet. But that's awesome if he's staying