PDA

View Full Version : What teams, beside UF, played man for man defense?

Dan Thompson
1/10/2009, 01:12 PM
I can remember anyone playing man for man against OU this year, at least not as close as UF.

I would think that the taller receivers would have a better chance, especially if the ball is thrown higher, than the shorter receivers.

OUMedMan
1/10/2009, 01:33 PM
OU didn't play them, but didn't Oregon play man for man against the Cowboys?

Dan Thompson
1/10/2009, 01:48 PM
I should have said, what teams did OU play, that used a man for man defense?

bluedogok
1/10/2009, 02:36 PM
I can remember anyone playing man for man against OU this year, at least not as close as UF.
Officiating can determine how "tight" man-to-man coverage can be, just like in basketball. If those had been Big 12 refs there would have been pass interference penalties all over the field. They just call it much closer than those ACC refs called the game and I guess how the SEC officials call pass interference during the season. Just like how holding is called, I was afraid they might call holding on the O-Line a bunch since it seemed like the ACC officials called holding on the line more often during the regular season than Big 12 officials.

The OU receivers needed saddles most of the game and the OU defensive backs didn't play the Florida receivers as close until late in the game when they had adjusted to the officiating, the difference was the Florida receivers made the catches in close quarters and the OU receivers didn't. I don't think officiating didn't made the difference because it was called pretty evenly throughout the game, about the only thing they did call was the obvious false starts and such although they did call a bunch of the "extra-curricular" penalties during the game but even they seemed to be justified by an action and not like the Colt falling down late hits.