PDA

View Full Version : Bob Said It Best

PLaw
1/10/2009, 11:50 AM
Post game comments from SoonerSports.com:

Quote:
Head Coach Bob Stoops

Opening comments:
"First, my congratulations to the University of Florida, Coach Meyer, his team. A well-played game, just again, congratulations. I thought it was a heck of a game.

"I want to also say that I'm very proud of our players, their efforts, the way they fought and played today. We had some opportunities I thought early in the game in the red zone where we've been, as ironic as it is, we've been so efficient the entire year in the red zone, we came up short on two different occasions. Had another occasion where we had the football to Jermaine Gresham down to about the five-yard line and get it called back on a holding play. We had some opportunities to make a difference in the first half, came up short.
And then in the second half, down the stretch, down in the fourth quarter there, we came up a play or two short, they made them. But it was a heck of a game, and again, I'm just proud of our players. They've been a great character group all year. They fought hard tonight, played another really good football team in Florida, and they made a few more plays."

When you look at this game, where do you think you lost it? At what point in the game? Was it that last touchdown drive you gave up?
"No, you lose a game through the whole process of the game. The two drives that were inside the five, one at the one, we've got two downs from the one-yard line, we don't get it in. We've got the ball at the five there at the end of the half. We also have a ball, like I said earlier, we complete a ball to Jermaine Gresham down to the five or so and get it called back on holding. Those are all opportunities for production, for points, that we didn't get. To me that's part of the end. The fourth quarter if we could have had the one drive stopped, would have given ourselves another chance.

"You win and lose as a team, and we played awfully well for a good part of the game. We stalled in the red zone, we gave up a play or two in the second half defensively, and it doesn't take much to lose a tight game like it was."

Tebow had like 172 yards in the final 25 minutes. He seemed to kind of take the game over. What is it about him that just makes him a cut above?
"Well, I think the biggest thing is his ability to run and scramble, and their intention running the football of running him. So he's a big part of their offense because you have designed plays that he runs the football. So as you see, they've got players going left, players going right, and then he keeps it. A lot of it is their design and a lot of it is him, his ability to run or at least stay poised in the offense to take it and pull the ball or take it when it's there. And then a few, couple scramble plays, those were huge plays. The couple of scrambles were to me the biggest part of the game on 3rd downs."

I was just wondering your thoughts on maybe the hostile crowd that you faced?
"I didn't notice that at all. I heard our people when we did something well and heard theirs when they did something well. My feeling overall, I don't think that was a big factor. When we were moving the football all the way down to the one-yard line there wasn't anything bothering us, and you don't hear them a lot when you're doing well. You hear them a lot when they make plays, but you heard ours when we made plays. We didn't have any problem at the line of scrimmage. I never felt that at all.

Could you talk about the defensive performance tonight. You made some adjustments that looked like worked really well, especially with moving Gerald out to defensive end and playing the defensive end inside.
"Yeah, we kicked into a 50 front a good part of the night, and it was good for us, a lot of it was. I thought how we handled the run game in the first half was great, the pressure we got was excellent, really up through three quarters, and then just a play or two in the fourth quarter. They popped a run, and that's how it works when you're defending the triple option. Every now and then you don't close far enough, you don't get where you need to be, and there it is. And then a couple scramble plays were big factors in the game on 3rd down."

Put this season in perspective, what this team has done, and some of the guys you'll be losing from this squad, what they've meant to your program.
"They're great kids, young men. I told the seniors in there I'm just incredibly proud of them. I thought they did a fabulous job this entire year of the attitude of our team, the way we took the field. The attitude throughout the whole season could not have been much better. I was incredibly pleased. I told them I was proud of them, and they're on to other things as seniors. But they did a great job for us and represented Oklahoma great."

I wonder if you'd just would talk about Sam's performance tonight, a couple tough-luck picks that maybe were big plays for you guys.
"Yeah, but Tim Tebow had a couple of turnovers, too. When you're playing good teams, it's going to happen. I don't fault him, the one down on 3rd down. Manny has his hands on that ball. And to Manny's defense, it's contested. It's just one of those things, the ball shoots up in the air. If the ball shoots down, we're good. That's just the way it goes. The same thing with the ball that's intercepted down there. Juaquin has his hands on it, too, and the other guy has it, and they end up coming down and as they fall, he gets a better grip on the ball and there it is. You're in competitive games with other good teams, you're going to have those plays, and they didn't go our way."

You probably felt like you should be leading at half. What were your thoughts? And what did you say to your club?
"Well, just that we were positive at halftime, that offensively we were moving the football. We've been good all year in the red zone. We've been great all year in the red zone. We'll have opportunities, let's take advantage of them in the second half and just be positive. You know, those were big factors in the game, though, being down in the red zone in those two occasions or three occasions and end up with nothing."

I was just wondering your comment on how Chris Brown played tonight?
"Chris always plays great. I thought he did really well tonight. I don't know what he ended up with. Chris is a great player. Great feel, great feet in the hole, great patience, and he was great tonight. I thought he did an excellent job."

And that, friends, is why this man should coach this team for as long as he likes.

BOOMER

BoomerJoeDon
1/10/2009, 11:59 AM
I still think Bob Stoops is a great coach! I don't want him to leave!

budbarrybob
1/10/2009, 12:03 PM
I wish I could spend just 5 minutes with Bob Stoops... I'd be a better person for it :D :D :D

A-M
1/10/2009, 12:11 PM
I really do think that if we fired Bob, we wouldn't be able to find anyone half as good as him to take his place. I have no problem with him as our coach. It'a just a matter of time before he gets us #8!

SoonerLB
1/10/2009, 12:59 PM
Since I'm older than Bob, I'd just like to say that I hope he is the coach for as long as I live! And if I am reincarnated as a potential recruit, I hope he's still there sign me! ;)

batonrougesooner
1/10/2009, 01:00 PM
Are there people really saying otherwise? Are they completely insane?

soonerfan28
1/10/2009, 01:08 PM
Anybody who thinks we are better of without Bob and his staff must not remember Smellaburger and Blake.

goingoneight
1/10/2009, 01:14 PM
We played well. The old sayign is the ball has to bounce your way... I would say that a blocked field goal, and two tip-ball interceptions is catching all the right breaks. Both teams played well, I'm just sad for the team because Ifinally felt like we showed up to play a game and played as good or better than the opposition, and damned if we caught a bunch of bad breaks.

bri
1/10/2009, 02:27 PM
Anybody who thinks we are better of without Bob and his staff must not remember Smellaburger and Blake.

Well, that's the thing about bandwagon fans; they have no idea what happened prior to hopping on.

kruss1971
1/10/2009, 02:45 PM
Term limits should be abolished for Stoops! Oh wait, that's politics...

Stay as long as you want, Coach! We love you!

007sooner
1/10/2009, 02:58 PM
Well, that's the thing about bandwagon fans; they have no idea what happened prior to hopping on.

that's not really fair; you arent a 'bandwagon' fan just because youre relatively young at rooting for the team. the problem is more one of emotion than lack of historical perspective. who can blame fans for being emotional about the big game at this point?

I for one hope bob stays for another 10 years. if we have 4 more appearances in NCG in the next 10 years (and 8,9 more bcs bowl appearances), that's doing fantastic. (yes, even if we lose them all, that's still doing great getting there.)

go stoops!!

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't trade Bob for any coach.

And yeah, there were some asshat on the official thread for the NC that had "fire Bob" as his 2nd or 3rd post. And then he did it again toward the end of the game.

StoopTroup
1/10/2009, 03:09 PM
One of the problems with College Football is that it is beginning to become the NFL. I even heard the talking heads this week say that guys like Bowden and Paterno are a thing of the past. Lou Holtz tried to move around and be successful. Spurrier has too. I think and hope Bob doesn't get caught up in all of that and I hope the "The Monster" lies dormant forever and that the memory of what happened to Barry Switzer and Gary Gibbs lives on as an example to all who want it all...every year. Things like National Championships are built on longtime Tradition. If you think Bob isn't a part of the Tradition...that's fine. It's your opinion. I think he deserves to go when he's ready.

I like the way he handled the Media. I know Bob, the Coaches, the Players and everyone Sooner...I'll even include "The Big XII"...didn't deserve the smack talk and disrespect that was leveled at them.

Even though we lost Thursday...I'm prOUd to be a Sooner.

GO SOONERS ! ! !

soonerfan28
1/10/2009, 04:35 PM
He is all class and we will get back. We return a hell of a lot of players next year even if it's not on the offensive side of the ball. We have the potential to be a very good offense next year if the line can gel. Skill positions are set and yes we will miss Gresh if he goes, but we can scheme to the skill set of Brody and Clapp.

8timechamps
1/10/2009, 05:00 PM
that's not really fair; you arent a 'bandwagon' fan just because youre relatively young at rooting for the team. the problem is more one of emotion than lack of historical perspective. who can blame fans for being emotional about the big game at this point?

I don't blame fans (new or old) for being emotional after a loss. Where my problem lies is with the people calling for Stoops head afterward.

If you're a new fan, then do your homework, learn where we have been as a team, and gain some perspective before making assinie statements.

If you're an old fan, you should know better. You've been around during the Balke and Schnelly eras. You know what we came through to get back to where we are now.

Of course, you can choose to ignore that, demand a national title every year..and, when that doesn't happen, you can move on to whatever team is winning at the moment. That is the definition of "Bandwagon fan".

That wasn't aimed at you, just my take on the folks that want Stoops gone.

soonerboomer93
1/10/2009, 06:25 PM
I don't blame fans (new or old) for being emotional after a loss. Where my problem lies is with the people calling for Stoops head afterward.

If you're a new fan, then do your homework, learn where we have been as a team, and gain some perspective before making assinie statements.

If you're an old fan, you should know better. You've been around during the Balke and Schnelly eras. You know what we came through to get back to where we are now.

Of course, you can choose to ignore that, demand a national title every year..and, when that doesn't happen, you can move on to whatever team is winning at the moment. That is the definition of "Bandwagon fan".

That wasn't aimed at you, just my take on the folks that want Stoops gone.

I understand getting emotional, but I do have a problem with getting overly emotional. At the end of the day, it's a game. As much as a win makes me happy, or a loss may bother me for a bit, it's only a game and there's no reason to be a complete ****** bag whichever the result may be. There are things, a great many things far more important in life then the results of a football game. Frankly, every Sooner fan should remind themselves of that, especially considering our coach carries a very visible reminder on his visor.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/10/2009, 09:29 PM
One of the problems with College Football is that it is beginning to become the NFL. I even heard the talking heads this week say that guys like Bowden and Paterno are a thing of the past. Lou Holtz tried to move around and be successful. Spurrier has too. I think and hope Bob doesn't get caught up in all of that and I hope the "The Monster" lies dormant forever and that the memory of what happened to Barry Switzer and Gary Gibbs lives on as an example to all who want it all...every year. Things like National Championships are built on longtime Tradition. If you think Bob isn't a part of the Tradition...that's fine. It's your opinion. I think he deserves to go when he's ready.

I like the way he handled the Media. I know Bob, the Coaches, the Players and everyone Sooner...I'll even include "The Big XII"...didn't deserve the smack talk and disrespect that was leveled at them.

Even though we lost Thursday...I'm prOUd to be a Sooner.

GO SOONERS ! ! !

Well put!!!

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 09:40 PM
Bob rules and I hope he never leaves.

Me...it goes like this: I ignore the bad years, demand a title every year, never move to another team, and have been a Sooner for life. Then when I don't get what I want I praise the tems' efforts and successes and start demanding a title for the next year!

Dan Thompson
1/10/2009, 09:46 PM
Like my sig says...

westcoast_sooner
1/10/2009, 10:18 PM
Hopefully this is a moment of clarity coming from me and not some random comment. I keep reading about how Bob is no longer Big Game Bob, how he's run his course at OU etc. etc.

You can complain about play calling, intensity, preparation or a few other things, but in my opinion, Bob Stoops is still great for OU football.

The Big 12 conference is still relatively young, but prior to the last 3 seasons, no team had won back-to-back conference championships, never mind pulled off a 3-peat. He's taken a lot of 3 and 4 star guys and coached them into championship team after championship team. Mack Brown can't say that. Les Miles can't say that. Urban Meyers can't say that.

In the 9 seasons Bob has been at OU, he's been to the BCS Championship game 4 times. No other coach or program has been there as often in that stretch.

And like Barry said on Thursday night after the game, when you go play for the championship, sometimes you're going to play teams that are better than you - we just happened to. I'd much rather have 4 opportunities to take home the crystal football than only one, or NONE, like most programs. We'll get number 8. Probably with Bob doing what he does, leading the Sooners out of the tunnel as an underdog and winning.

Yeah, he could tweak something here or there, but overall, there is not one head coach that I would rather have in Norman than Bob Stoops.

sendbaht
1/10/2009, 10:33 PM
and he's 48 and a man, long live Stoops!

rainiersooner
1/10/2009, 11:09 PM
I understand getting emotional, but I do have a problem with getting overly emotional. At the end of the day, it's a game. As much as a win makes me happy, or a loss may bother me for a bit, it's only a game and there's no reason to be a complete ****** bag whichever the result may be. There are things, a great many things far more important in life then the results of a football game. Frankly, every Sooner fan should remind themselves of that, especially considering our coach carries a very visible reminder on his visor.

I could not agree more. I went to the game with my brother and sister who I don't get to see too often. We cheered together when we made plays, we put our heads in our hands when we didn't or Florida did. At the end of the day, I'm glad for the experience we shared, and I'm super proud not just of the young men on our team, but Bob Stoops and his staff. Can they improve? Of course they can - but this was a great effort by a group that is marked by character and integrity....

Boomer!!!

TUSooner
1/11/2009, 12:24 AM
God bless Bob!

pardon the interREDtion
1/11/2009, 12:50 AM
I'll take playing in the BCS Championship game 4 times a decade till the end of time.

No1Better
1/11/2009, 09:43 AM
Great thread

Tailgate
1/11/2009, 11:07 AM
Bob is a great coach. Just about any team in the country would be honored to have him. He says it like it is and has done an incredible job at OU.

bluesmagoo
1/11/2009, 12:56 PM
Stoops is a great coach, the best, probably. It would be nice to tweak Wilson, though.

BoomerJoeDon
1/11/2009, 12:59 PM
As far as the game against the Gators goes, we lost our Sooner Magic. You have to be good and lucky to win these games, I think the players and coaches did good enough to win, luck was not with us this day.

Don't brake for Longhorns
1/11/2009, 02:09 PM
I agree with Boomer Joe. For some reason the mojo was not with us. Thanks Bob!!!

Sooner70
1/12/2009, 12:07 AM
There's nobody that hates losing more than Bob Stoops. Is there anybody out there thinking he's satisfied with this loss? Heck, no. There's not a better coach in the country for OU as far as I'm concerned as Bob Stoops. I've lived thru the good times, the bad times, and the good times again, & I'd rather be in the good times. Stoops is the good times. He's a developer of men and coaches. He looks out for the welfare of his players & his coaches. He's a straight arrow. He put OU back on the football map after some pretty dismal years. Believe me, Texas fans and a lot of other Big 12 schools would love to see Bob Stoops leave OU. They hate facing his teams.

MamaMia
1/12/2009, 12:11 AM
Bob Stoops is the sexiest most gorgeous man in America. God he turns me on, plus hes a really great football coach and I hope he stays at the University of Oklahoma forever.

TheGodfather889
1/12/2009, 12:19 AM
I really honestly believe even though I am a known pessimist that as long as Bob Stoops stays at Oklahoma and he continues to take OU to the National Championship game that he will at least win one more. I don't know if he'll ever be able to tie Barry Switzer and Bud Wilkinson with the third since it is so much harder to win the title these days but I really do believe if OU continues to have this kind of success and ability to make it to the National Championship, I believe he will eventually get the monkey off his back for a second time.

Crucifax Autumn
1/12/2009, 12:19 AM
Well Mama...I like him and all but I think ya got me beat on the admiration scale!

steebu
1/12/2009, 02:16 AM
Without question, Stoopsie is the best coach for us right now. For those who think otherwise, let me point out a particular record:

1985 9–3, L Fiesta
1986 10–2, W Sugar
1987 10–2, L Fiesta
1988 11–2, L Orange
1989 10–2, L Fiesta
1990 9–3, L Citrus
1991 9–2–1, L Orange
1992 9–3, L Orange
1993 11–1, L Orange

Obviously, this coach sucks because his bowl record during this period is an abysmal 1-8. Astute Sooner fans may pick up right away who this particular coach is. Let's look at how he finished his career:

1994 13–0, W Orange (National Champions)
1995 12–0, W Fiesta (National Champions)
1996 11–2, W Orange
1997 13–0, W Orange (National Champions)

We're knockin' on the door; we're gonna kick it down soon.

boomermagic
1/12/2009, 09:18 AM
Florida had the defense we didn't.. Defense wins Championships.. Sound familiar ? As for Bob Stoops Great coach let's give him another chance or 20...

footballfanatic
1/12/2009, 09:43 AM
Bob Stoops is a good coach but he has to address how he prepares his teams for bowls and other big games. There is something about the layoffs that leave his teams rustier than other teams. Perhaps the team and staff gets overconfident, but lapses like the West Virginia demolition have created an opinion nationwide that the Sooners are overrated.

boomermagic
1/12/2009, 09:56 AM
Bob Stoops is a good coach but he has to address how he prepares his teams for bowls and other big games. There is something about the layoffs that leave his teams rustier than other teams. Perhaps the team and staff gets overconfident, but lapses like the West Virginia demolition have created an opinion nationwide that the Sooners are overrated.

I thought we looked pretty well prepared Florida was 10 points better that night.. END OF STORY..

Choctaw
1/12/2009, 12:18 PM
I thought we looked pretty well prepared Florida was 10 points better that night.. END OF STORY..

Me too. Bob had us at #1 twice this season. That ain't bad at all.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2009, 12:26 PM
I also thought we looked well prepared. If there was anything to question, it was execution or tactics - but not strategy or preparation. If we execute in the redzone like we had all season and take a lead into halftime, who knows how the game plays out.

StoopTroup
1/12/2009, 12:56 PM
Anyone who thinks he didn't have this Team ready is just one of those folks who never thought he'd win this one anyway. Bob had these guys beat in the 1st half. Beat. The 2 non-scoring red zones didn't put the death blow on them. Florida has been good at keeping themselves in a game all year. It's why they won Thursday. Our Defense was outstanding. They gave the Offense the shot at winning. It didn't happen for us. If it was Sooner Magic that was missing...well I guess it might have been. It did seem before the game many OU Fans didn't feel there was enough Magic in the tank to figure out a way to the game. I was disappointed in the turnout of the Sooner Nation. We can do much better than that IMO. We have done much better than that. Kudos to all of the Fans that got to the game and tried to bring the Magic. Those of you that could have met the Team as they entered the Stadium missed out on an opportunity to let your Team know you believe in Sooner Magic and believe in them. We were outnumbered down there. Is was embarrassing. I felt bad for our Guys.

OUMallen
1/12/2009, 01:12 PM
Stoops is the best, but I don't understand the point of your post...he didn't say anything special or noteworthy in those quotes....pretty much standard fare.