PDA

View Full Version : Is OU still a NATIONAL Power in College Football?

lank77
1/10/2009, 10:40 AM
AFTER this latest performance, I submit that OU has turned in to a REGIONAL Power hence the B12 championships. They are no longer a NATIONAL power hence losses to USC (Pac 10) LSU, FLA (SEC) Boise St (Mount West?) and W. Virginia (Big East). Until OU demonstrates they can beat major college football teams for championships (bowl or national), I submit this to be the case. Past performance (7 NC) aside. Thoughts?

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2009, 10:41 AM
Okay, that's at least 3 out of 21 now. :rolleyes:

lank77
1/10/2009, 10:43 AM
three out of 21 what?

delhalew
1/10/2009, 10:44 AM
Did you seriously just post the same retarded statement in atleast three different threads. Your pushing it buddy.

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2009, 10:44 AM
What happened to the thread starting rule limitations?

lank77
1/10/2009, 10:49 AM
Are either of you going to consider the question or just point to the fact that I raised it at three different locations? I am attempting to initate an intelligent dialogue to this question.

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 10:50 AM
What happened to the thread starting rule limitations?

I wish the rules would be changed so ****tards like this don't start threads ever.

We have a great season and these guys are nowhere to be found. Lose a bowl game and they come crawling out of the woodwork like roaches.

lank77
1/10/2009, 10:52 AM
Maybe the reason retards like me ( an OU graduate, are you) are frustrated that the team I have rooted for ALL MY LIFE has lost five straight games on the national stage. Am I not a SOONER fan because I feel this way?

Harry Beanbag
Are either of you going to consider the question or just point to the fact that I raised it at four different locations?

Fixed.

I am attempting to initate anintelligent dialogue to this question.

You've failed in the attempt so far. Let us know when you get to the intelligent part.

Dio
Are either of you going to take my bait or just point to the fact that I copy-and-pasted it at three different locations? I am attempting to flame bait by continuously posting such a ridiculous question.

Fixed

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2009, 10:54 AM
Maybe the reason retards like me ( an OU graduate, are you) are frustrated that the team I have rooted for ALL MY LIFE has lost five straight games on the national stage. Am I not a SOONER fan because I feel this way?

I don't like the implication that OU graduates retards, but I suppose every college lets some slip through the cracks.

lank77
1/10/2009, 10:54 AM
Whow! it appears freedom of speech cannot be found on this board. What a shame

TUSooner
1/10/2009, 10:56 AM
AFTER this latest performance, I submit that OU has turned in to a REGIONAL Power hence the B12 championships. They are no longer a NATIONAL power hence losses to USC (Pac 10) LSU, FLA (SEC) Boise St (Mount West?) and W. Virginia (Big East). Until OU demonstrates they can beat major college football teams for championships (bowl or national), I submit this to be the case. Past performance (7 NC) aside. Thoughts?

A better question: Is that the stupidest post ever? You pick some isolated losses over the years to good teams from different places and then extrapolate from that to conclude -- what? That OU would not beat dozens of teams from across the nation? The very kindest thing to say about that attempt at logical reasoning is that it is silly. You're a waste of bandwidth.

Sooner70
1/10/2009, 10:58 AM
Lank77: I agree that OU is a regional power (6/7 last Big 12 championships), but disagree that OU is not a national presence, based on NCG apperances.

First of all, it's a truism you have to first GET TO the NCG to be able to have a chance at winning the NC. Since the inception of the BCS, no team has made it to the Big Show more often that OU (4).

BCS NCG Appearances:

OU (4)
Ohio State (3)
Fla State (3)
LSU (2)
Fla (2)
Miami (2)
USC (2)
Neb (1)
Tenn (1)
Texas (1)
Virginia Tech (1)

I guess what I'm asking, is if OU isn't a "National Power", then who is and what are the parameters?

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 10:59 AM
Are either of you going to consider the question or just point to the fact that I raised it at three different locations? I am attempting to initate an intelligent dialogue to this question.

The answer is yes dumbazz. Only two teams got to play for the NC this year and one of them was the Sooners.

Not every play goes as planned and we were two plays away from winning 28 to 24. Some of you whiney azz crybabies act like we weren't even in the game.

Do yourself a favor and pick another team to root for. Utah is undefeated and looking for fans just like you.

JaminT
1/10/2009, 11:00 AM
I'll bite...

Lank, please share with us your definition of National Power and Regional Power.

Also please provide a list of programs who meet this criteria.

I hope you keep with the "intelligent dialogue to this question."

lank77
1/10/2009, 11:00 AM
If any of you know how to contact the board administrator to remove this thread, please do so. I have found for me an unacceptable level of intolerance and ignorance.

Soonerus
1/10/2009, 11:01 AM
dumbest thread evar...OU just finished 5th in the nation....

Ground_Attack
1/10/2009, 11:03 AM

I think the question is retarted. We have played in 4 BCS title games since 2000 as well as 3 other BCS games. We are very much a NATIONAL power. Granted, we haven't won the last 5, but there are about 110 other schools that can't even justify being there.

If any of you know how to contact the board administrator to remove this thread, please do so. I have found for me an unacceptable level of intolerance and ignorance.

The ignorance commenced with the title of this thread.

Dio

Weakest....Helander....EVAR!

delhalew

You can say what you want as far as i'm concerned. However, I cant take you or your "intelligent dialogue" seriously.

If nobody wants to deal with your dumbazz on one post, you dont paste it all over the board.

If you're a Sooner, that is a poor introduction to this community.

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 11:04 AM

If freedom of speech wasn't allowed on this board you would be gone by now. As one OU graduate to another, you're embarrassing the rest of us.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/10/2009, 11:04 AM
We lost our last game to #1 in a close game, we're still #5. What's not national about that?

Ground_Attack
1/10/2009, 11:05 AM

you're still talking, aren't you? :pop:

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 11:07 AM

With freedom of speech comes the awesome responsibility of reaping the rewards of your dumbazz comments. Quit whining.

SOONER STEAKER
Lank, I recommend you go back to bed, and wake up on the other side of the bed and restart your day. Then, tell us why OU is a Regional power in your mind? Then, we'll shoot the LANK out of the tree!

oubose
lank77 what is your team since OU's not doing it for ya! Pray to god your not a whorn!

Sooner70
1/10/2009, 11:09 AM
Lank77: I agree that OU is a regional power (6/7 last Big 12 championships), but disagree that OU is not a national presence, based on NCG apperances.

First of all, it's a truism you have to first GET TO the NCG to be able to have a chance at winning the NC. Since the inception of the BCS, no team has made it to the Big Show more often that OU (4).

BCS NCG Appearances:

OU (4)
Ohio State (3)
Fla State (3)
LSU (2)
Fla (2)
Miami (2)
USC (2)
Neb (1)
Tenn (1)
Texas (1)
Virginia Tech (1)

I guess what I'm asking, is if OU isn't a "National Power", then who is and what are the parameters?

85Sooner
1/10/2009, 11:09 AM
Lank what you said has validity. There are alot of folks here who do not want to discuss the reality of the issue. Oklahoma IS a regional power but perfomances vs OOC have shown evidence that the National power lable is (for the time being) somewhat of a forgone conclusion. You have to walk the walk if your gonna talk the talk. Still what we have is better than most even if "sooner magic" has taken a 9 year vacation.

Ground_Attack
1/10/2009, 11:13 AM
Lank what you said has validity. There are alot of folks here who do not want to discuss the reality of the issue. Oklahoma IS a regional power but perfomances vs OOC have shown evidence that the National power lable is (for the time being) somewhat of a forgone conclusion. You have to walk the walk if your gonna talk the talk. Still what we have is better than most even if "sooner magic" has taken a 9 year vacation.

back to 85. who are the 'National' powers? since tOSU and OU have struggled, they are obviously out of the running. VaTech and Utah have won several recent BCS games, so I assume they are the national powers. OU would smoke them both. :mad:

budbarrybob
1/10/2009, 11:20 AM
National power, Bowl game flops.
Defense minded Bob
Takes us to the MNC

Sooner70
1/10/2009, 11:20 AM
85 Sooner: I'm struggling here. Are you saying your definition of "National Power" is winning % of BCS NCG appearances? If so, does that say that Tennessee is a "National Power" (since they're 100% based on the '98 game) and OU or Ohio State isn't?

Help me out here. I'm struggling to find out what you/ Lank 77's definition of "National Power" is.

Is is overall winning percentage, times playing in any BCS game, winning percentage in BCS games, AP ranking over the years, or other rankings, post season. I think if you look at the long haul, by just about any reasonable measure one takes, OU will be there somehow, some way.

Having said that, it does seem Sooner Magic has been hiding sometimes, but who doesn't want to win more games? Especially BCS Bowl Games. OU's latest stretch hasn't been too good.....0-5. Maybe that's what you're thinking. Winning % of BCS appearances.......

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 11:49 AM

It seems to me you guys have national power mixed up with national champion. How can you not be a national power when you get to play in the national championship and play a close game? We "walked the walk" just getting to the NC game, including playing some tough NC games at the beginning of the year, which probably put us over Texas in the BCS to give us the shot at the Championship.

The SEC is maybe the toughest conference out there and we gave their best team all they wanted. How can you think we are not a national power? Do you have to actually win the NC to be a national power. If so, FS is the only national power in the NCAA.

PLaw
1/10/2009, 12:02 PM

Yeah, freedom of STUPID speech gets butt slammed with proper vengeance.

Are you kidding me? OU not a National Power?? - playing in 4 National Championship games in 8 years qualifies - especially with 3 of them in the opponents back yard. Only TGOWWDNS is an embarassment.

And the Fiesta Bowls - puhlease. I was at both of them. Because of the BCS, we no longer have MAJOR bowls that have strong implications on the MNC. If you're not in the last one, then it really doesn't matter and should be a party for the kids.

Back in the day, anything could happen on January 1. Simply, it is not that way any more. Heck, they don't even play 'em on New Years Day (or New Years Eve in the case of the Sugar).

I'll take 11 or 12 wins a year with no problem losing in the last one as long as every 2 or 3 years we're in the only game that matters and kicking texass a$$ with some regular frequency.

BOOMER

AlbqSooner
1/10/2009, 12:10 PM
As a Sooner fan who has been following College football for 54 years, I can assure you that OU has been a National power. I can also assure you that OU has been a Regional power. I can also assure you that OU currently is a National and regional power.

There Lank, does that answer your question or do I need to make myself more clear?

Also, the Spicy Cajun Shrimp I made for the game the other night was mmmmm.

aero
1/10/2009, 12:24 PM
I would guess the OP is either a "sports journalist" or certainly a prime candidate to become one. It's ridiculous, pathetic angles like this that makes you just shake your head and wonder the depths of stupidity.

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2009, 12:44 PM
If OU was not a national power this year, then neither is UF. It was a tight game that was tied in the 4th and OU approaching the redzone for either another tie or the lead later in the 4th when the big INT took place. I'd have to say UT was not a national power this year if OU wasn't. OU led UT by 5 in the 4th qtr. As for other years - every one is different so you'll have to judge for yourself. '05 was a major rebuilding year and I don't think that particular team was a national power (but they won their bowl against a 10 win opponent :)).

Who outside of UF, USC, UT would scare you if we played them next week and we brought our A game ? Legit top 5 is a national power in my book.

2k2 c5
1/10/2009, 12:49 PM
back to 85. who are the 'National' powers? since tOSU and OU have struggled, they are obviously out of the running. VaTech and Utah have won several recent BCS games, so I assume they are the national powers. OU would smoke them both. :mad:

Sorry to interrupt but I think VT is about 1-3 in bcs games....unless of course I'm just missing your sarcasm and if so, never mind and carry on...

PDXsooner
1/10/2009, 12:56 PM
This is foolish. Can we lock this thread? OU is one of the top 3 programs of the DECADE and arguably the greatest of ALL TIME. In addition, OU will be in the hunt for a NATIONAL championship again next year.

5 - Wide
1/10/2009, 12:57 PM
why are we so proud of NC appearneces we only play one team on our level of talent, so yeah we get a easy road just like ohio state but when it comes down to it we lose. this year we had a team but the past year aside from 2000 we where trash should not have even been there like OS

Beef
1/10/2009, 01:01 PM
This thread should be a sticky.

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2009, 01:04 PM
why are we so proud of NC appearneces we only play one team on our level of talent, so yeah we get a easy road just like ohio state but when it comes down to it we lose. this year we had a team but the past year aside from 2000 we where trash should not have even been there like OS

And how is that different than other conferences? On paper, UF was going to play a lot of tough teams, but UGA and LSU didn't meet expectations and I still think 'Bama was over-rated.

tommieharris91
1/10/2009, 01:08 PM

Well, you're not a very smart one.

Yes, we still are a national power because, unlike just about every other team, we get there. We get close, and eventually, we're gonna win another one.

85Sooner
1/10/2009, 01:11 PM

Generally the Teams that WILL WIN AT LEAST 50% over top rated OOC teams I would consider National Power houses. USC, FLA, LSU most of the past 5 years (even though FLA and LSU lack a historical reputation as National Powerhouses. Oklahoma will get that status back when they start winning over programs that are as historic as they are. Our claim to fame is beating Texas who for some reason always seems to come through in at least 50% of their tough OOC and bowl games. USC, FLA, LSU, TEXAS ..... those are teams that have proven that they can hang in the tough games. OU is simply not there right now. If you disagree then it is your opinion, but OU does not have any of the major schools shaking in their boots the way they used to.

85Sooner
1/10/2009, 01:14 PM
It seems to me you guys have national power mixed up with national champion. How can you not be a national power when you get to play in the national championship and play a close game? We "walked the walk" just getting to the NC game, including playing some tough NC games at the beginning of the year, which probably put us over Texas in the BCS to give us the shot at the Championship.

The SEC is maybe the toughest conference out there and we gave their best team all they wanted. How can you think we are not a national power? Do you have to actually win the NC to be a national power. If so, FS is the only national power in the NCAA.

We got lucky that one play turned the season for OU and we all damn well know it. That is why we ended up playing in the NCG. Thats reality. The breaks and rules went our way.Tough OOC? TCU?????????? Cinn???????????

setem
1/10/2009, 01:18 PM
Is this a joke? This goes up there with some of the craziest **** I have ever seen on here!

This is the question everyone should be asking themselves. Would you rather win the Toilet Bowl or have opportunity to win championships and risk losing the Big Bowl games?

Losing is unacceptable but it something that happens and to say that OU is not a National Power because we lose in the big games is just retarded! Nobody should ever like to lose but you should also not be afraid of it, that leads to crap like this!

TXBOOMER
1/10/2009, 01:21 PM
Only a bonafied complete di<ktard would think that OU is not a national power.

ouengineer97
1/10/2009, 01:23 PM
Yes, we are. No explanation required.

Bamadad
1/10/2009, 01:33 PM
I was impressed with the way Oklahoma played it just didnt work out for you. Alabama had the same problem but we'll both be back next year. Roll Tide and Boomer Sooner.

CrimsonJim
1/10/2009, 01:42 PM
Nice thread and im a gator fan

Are you a Gator fan, or a Sooner fan? If you're a Gator (troll) fan, then why are you wording the above like you're a Sooner fan? You've got this hillbilly all cornfused. :confused:

swardboy
1/10/2009, 01:44 PM
Heh....kinda funny how lank77 started quite a discussion on whether OU is a regional vs. nation power serendipitously.

Yeah, that's right! I said "serendipitously"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TUSooner
1/10/2009, 01:54 PM

Your assholiness just topped 100%!

Hotrod3157
1/10/2009, 02:00 PM
Yes OU is still a national power. Simple answer.

TUSooner
1/10/2009, 02:07 PM
We got lucky that one play turned the season for OU and we all damn well know it. That is why we ended up playing in the NCG. Thats reality. The breaks and rules went our way.Tough OOC? TCU?????????? Cinn???????????

SO you DO think that winning the BCSNCG is the only thing that makes a team a national power.

Think of it this way: OU would be probably be a solid favorite to be champions of any conference in the nation except maybe the SEC and Pac 10 (maybe Big Televen, too). And we would certainly be considered very strong contenders in any conference, bar none. I suggest the whole reason this thread crumbles like a dry dog turd is because lank and 85 have a totally screwy idea of what is a "national power."

TexasLidig8r
1/10/2009, 02:21 PM
From a Texas perspective, unquestionably Oklahoma is a national power and has been under Stoops.

However, legitimate questions exist as to Oklahoma's ability to win bowl games under Stoops... and whether the 2000 NC was a result of some very good assistant coaches.. i.e., Leach, Mangino the Hutt and Mike Stoops.

JBIILonghorns
1/10/2009, 02:28 PM
I still consider them to be a national power.

Give credit to Stoops for that, but something happened when Mike Stoops left. You guys need to get him back if he doesn't make it at AZ. Perhaps OU needs a shake-up in their coaching staff. As soon as Mack started doing that, Texas started getting better.

I may be a Longhorns fan, but if OU starts going downward, that would suck. The rivalry is one of the best because both teams are good.

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 03:01 PM

We made our own luck. If we layed down after our loss to Texas we couldn't have capitalized on the Texas loss. We played in the NCG because we ****in' deserved it more than any other one loss team.

And yes, TCU and Cinn. TCU's only loss other than to us was by 3 points to Utah, the number 2 team in the nation as we speak. TCU is currently ranked #7, one spot behind the 2nd best team in the SEC. And Cincinnati is also a tough team, ranked #17 nationally, between Oklahoma State and Missouri.

The Remnant
1/10/2009, 03:07 PM
Some people on this web site kill me. OU almost beats Florida for all the marbles, and the sky is falling. It is my opinion that losing Murray on offense and Reynolds on defense was a big factor in the loss. And that's suppose to make OU a regional power? Give me a break.

007sooner
1/10/2009, 03:08 PM
Not every play goes as planned and we were two plays away from winning 28 to 24. Some of you whiney azz crybabies act like we weren't even in the game.

Or 2 plays and 1 holding penalty away from winning 35 to 24. (And my prediction going into the game was the Florida would hold us to 35 but we'd still win. Look at how close we came to doing just that. It literally makes me sick to my stomach to think about.)

Someone right after the game ended messaged me accusing us of being "just like Ohio St." I said fine, I'll take that comparison. The Big 10 is continually ridiculed but Ohio St still shows up to the big games and still shows up to play (they were one bad defensive call away from winning the Fiesta Bowl!)

Bottom line: we won't cease to be a national power, ever. Even a bad decade of football (like the 90s) can't stop us from reviving to the national stage each season we get a winning team.

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2009, 03:20 PM
Generally the Teams that WILL WIN AT LEAST 50% over top rated OOC teams I would consider National Power houses.

OU was 5-2 this season against teams in the final AP Top 25. By your own definition the Sooners are indeed a national power. Whew, I was worried until I did the research.

Cam
1/10/2009, 03:22 PM
Each of us need to ask ourselves once simple question:

Are we happier with the state of the program today over where it was was 10-15 years ago?

If your answer is no, there is nothing that anybody here can say for you. You expect zero losses and a NC every year, and it's just not realistic. I'd love for it to happen just as much as you would, but reality is it's not going to happen for anybody.

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2009, 03:23 PM

I don't even know wtf this post means. 5-wide makes lank look like a Rhodes Scholar.

Boomer Mooner
1/10/2009, 03:35 PM
I don't even know wtf this post means. 5-wide makes lank look like a Rhodes Scholar.

If you look at his other threads it's apparent he's a gator troll. From his handle I'm guessing he fancies himself a real estate mogul with two double-wides and one regular trailer.

TXBOOMER
1/10/2009, 03:57 PM
I love seeing di<ktard texass fans weighing in. Go lick Mack's nuts and tell him how great of a job he's doing and how much you like being runner-ups in the south. After you get his nuts out of your mouths go suggest to the brass to name your football stadium after an Okie born Sooner..Oh wait you already did that.

TexasLidig8r
1/10/2009, 07:56 PM
I love seeing di<ktard texass fans weighing in. Go lick Mack's nuts and tell him how great of a job he's doing and how much you like being runner-ups in the south. After you get his nuts out of your mouths go suggest to the brass to name your football stadium after an Okie born Sooner..Oh wait you already did that.

What a tool.

Runner ups in the south? We had the same record as you, defeated you on a neutral field in a decisive 4th quarter and we choose to show up for our bowl games.

There are a number of really good people, OU grads on here who when your team falls in a bowl game, you empathize with. You are not one of them.

Enjoy your pitiful existence. :rolleyes:

TUSooner
1/10/2009, 08:02 PM

Where did that **** come from? I just got through reading 2 good posts by UT fans, so I don't know WTF you mean. Get real, man!

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2009, 08:04 PM
Runner ups in the south? We had the same record as you, defeated you on a neutral field in a decisive 4th quarter and we choose to show up for our bowl games.

UT finished as the runner-up in the South Division once again. That's the fact Jack.

StoopTroup
1/10/2009, 08:25 PM
texas fans are used to folks pulling their pants down around their ankles.

Some of them have resorted to just doing it to themselves...there's proof right here in this thread.

8timechamps
1/10/2009, 08:41 PM
What a tool.

There are a number of really good people, OU grads on here who when your team falls in a bowl game, you empathize with. You are not one of them.

I'm sure TXBoomer is really broken-up knowing that you don't empathize with him.

I was already having trouble stomaching your posting here...now, it's name calling Sooner fans on the board and telling him that he has a pitifull existence. I don't know TXBoomer, and he may be a total jackass, but he's a Sooner fan on a Sooner board.

Why don't you go the **** away? Really.

Why people here have tolerated you for as long as they have is beyond me. In my 8+ years on Soonerfans, you are the most pitiful poster I can remember. Seriously, over 7,000 post on an OU board? WTF?

Why in the hell a texas fan is on this board 3 days after we lost the title game is beyond me. Actually it's not, you have one reason to be here. You know it, and now we do to. To stir the **** pot.

Nobody here gives a rats *** about texas.

Seriously, what are you, 15 years old?

TUSooner
1/10/2009, 08:52 PM
What's with the lidig8tr bashing all of a sudden? He's been posting - respectably - around here longer than many Sooner fans and rarely goes over the line into rank whorniness.
I have heard that his bow ties are teh fail though.

aero
1/10/2009, 08:59 PM
What a tool.

Runner ups in the south? We had the same record as you, defeated you on a neutral field in a decisive 4th quarter and we choose to show up for our annual Holiday bowl game.

Fixed

aero
1/10/2009, 09:06 PM
What a tool.

Runner ups in the south? We had the same record as you, defeated you on a neutral field in a decisive 4th quarter and we choose to show up for our annual Holiday Bowl game.

Fixed

aero
1/10/2009, 09:07 PM
dub post

8timechamps
1/10/2009, 09:10 PM
What's with the lidig8tr bashing all of a sudden? He's been posting - respectably - around here longer than many Sooner fans and rarely goes over the line into rank whorniness.
I have heard that his bow ties are teh fail though.

I'm sure I'm still on edge since the game. Maybe I'll feel better in a few days.

Right now, the last thing I want to see is what a texas fan thinks of OU.

And I wouldn't say he's always "respectful".

Like I said, I've posted on here for over eight years, and he's just gotten under my skin for some reason.

Did you see Step Brothers with Will Ferrell? When the guy says to him "I see you, and I want to punch you in the face...no reason, I just feel like hitting you when I see your face". Kinda like that. :D

85Sooner
1/10/2009, 10:39 PM
double post

85Sooner
1/10/2009, 10:40 PM
SO you DO think that winning the BCSNCG is the only thing that makes a team a national power.

Think of it this way: OU would be probably be a solid favorite to be champions of any conference in the nation except maybe the SEC and Pac 10 (maybe Big Televen, too). And we would certainly be considered very strong contenders in any conference, bar none. I suggest the whole reason this thread crumbles like a dry dog turd is because lank and 85 have a totally screwy idea of what is a "national power."

NO, I think fielding a competitive team and winning at least 50% of the time helps create the notion of a National Powerhouse. No One is scared to play the Sooners anymore on the world stage. Not even teams like Boise State. Am I wrong? And BTW your the screwed up one if you believe that a record of 0-5 on the World stage makes you a powerhouse. Nough Said

85Sooner
1/10/2009, 10:43 PM
As a Sooner fan who has been following College football for 54 years, I can assure you that OU has been a National power. I can also assure you that OU has been a Regional power. I can also assure you that OU currently is a National and regional power.

There Lank, does that answer your question or do I need to make myself more clear?

Also, the Spicy Cajun Shrimp I made for the game the other night was mmmmm.

Has been , YES is now NO. Getting to play in games because the "rules" put us there does not make one a national powerhouse. It makes Bob Stoops a political genius.

tulsaoilerfan
1/10/2009, 10:48 PM
I'm not saying the original poster is correct, but when was our last big victory over an OOC opponent that was worth a damn AWAY from Norman??? Yes we can dominate the rest of the Big 12, but even Texass has gotten us 3 out of the last 4, and IMO, our last Bowl win over a legit top notch opponent was FSU

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2009, 10:50 PM
NO, I think fielding a competitive team and winning at least 50% of the time helps create the notion of a National Powerhouse. No One is scared to play the Sooners anymore on the world stage. Not even teams like Boise State. Am I wrong?

If OU is not a national powerhouse, then there is only one national powerhouse in the country-- Florida.

Camomaha
As a fan of college football I identify OU as a national power. They have played for 4 national titles in 10 years. Some people still recognize ND as a national power and they have not played for it in 15 or more years. From the outside looking in as I am, OU scares the hell out of me.

85Sooner
OU was 5-2 this season against teams in the final AP Top 25. By your own definition the Sooners are indeed a national power. Whew, I was worried until I did the research.

Then do your research on the Games OU has played for trophies. We all know the losses, we have all seen the teams that were fielded. The fact of the matter is that OU plays in a "NOW" weak conference" (regardless of what idiot poll raters say" and we have lost 5 straight to , well look at the teams we have lost to. I do not accept excuses. 0-5 .......0-5. NOT a record that our previous 2 NCG winning coaches would accept or tolerate.

85Sooner
1/10/2009, 10:53 PM
Each of us need to ask ourselves once simple question:

Are we happier with the state of the program today over where it was was 10-15 years ago?

If your answer is no, there is nothing that anybody here can say for you. You expect zero losses and a NC every year, and it's just not realistic. I'd love for it to happen just as much as you would, but reality is it's not going to happen for anybody.

Happier? Yes! Accepting of the so called fact that we are a national POWERHOUSE? heck the evidence shows itself. I am not one who subscribes to the theory that "we are glad just to be there" FIVE times in a row without results. YOU would be fired, I would be fired. I don't want anyone fired but the coaching staff needs to be chaken up like a wet dog.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2009, 07:02 AM
Getting to play in games because the "rules" put us there does not make one a national powerhouse.

I think it is pretty much impossible to play for the national title and not have the rules put you there. How is it possible otherwise?

This thread is really dumb. How many teams have won as many games as OU since Stoops took over?

I think some of you are confusing the term "powerhouse" with "dynasty." There are no dynasties right now in college football, but quite a few powerhouses. To me, a powerhouse is a team that is regularly a threat to win the national title. USC, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, and even Utah are powerhouses right now.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2009, 07:12 AM
Happier? Yes! Accepting of the so called fact that we are a national POWERHOUSE? heck the evidence shows itself. I am not one who subscribes to the theory that "we are glad just to be there" FIVE times in a row without results. YOU would be fired, I would be fired. I don't want anyone fired but the coaching staff needs to be chaken up like a wet dog.

I have a better solution: Let's just not do well enough throughout the year so that Texas wins the South and so we cannot possibly lose in the national title game. We can instead play a patsy in the Holiday Bowl like Texas does just about every year.

Would that be better?

Happier? Yes! Accepting of the so called fact that we are a national POWERHOUSE? heck the evidence shows itself. I am not one who subscribes to the theory that "we are glad just to be there" FIVE times in a row without results. YOU would be fired, I would be fired.

No, we would not be fired. That is ridiculous.

Sure, if Stoops only coached in the national title games and lost all five, then he would get the axe. But his overall coaching record is pretty outstanding, and his teams have won the conference six times.

Sooner70
1/11/2009, 08:21 AM
I think I'm seeing where 85Sooner is coming from, although I don't necessarily agree. Lank77 apparently fell off this thread after getting it started. What I hear 85 saying (correct me if I'm wrong here '85), is that it's not good enough to GET to the big games, you've got to WIN at least half of them to be a "National Power" within that definition. Also, you have to be "feared" on the field.

Although '85 can craft his own definition of "National Power", as is his right living in the US of A, I don't think the general media, coaches, etc. would agree with it. I've heard the media use several times the term "blue blood" program to describe OU football....along with other perenniel powers. Usually it connotes a winning program over a long period of time. Granted, there may be some lapses within the history of any "blue blood" program, but overall, it's considered a top tier, recognized program in the country. Gets good recruits, has a football machine up & running well, wins conference championships & makes it to bowl games every year. '85 is just putting additional requirements on that.

As far as "feared", I'm not sure that went out long ago with scholarship limits and the levelled playing field. Did (non blue blood program) Utah play as if they "feared" a great (blue blood) Alabama team.Doubt it. I think very seldom these days would "fear" characterize matchups. These teams are high tech, recruited & coached to the limit with very qualified individuals. College football has become a system science. There may be a few instances of "fear", but I'm not sure it's a consistent, prevalent thing anymore. Having said that, Miami in the 1990's were a powerful force. Florida may be emerging in that light. USC looks awfully good for the forseeable future. Texas returns 9/11 on offense & this past year was supposed to be a rebuilding year. I'd better stop here or I'll change my own mind on this.

ratedrsuperstar
1/11/2009, 08:53 AM

BCS NCG Appearances:

OU (4)
Ohio State (3)
Fla State (3)
LSU (2)
Fla (2)
Miami (2)
USC (2)
Neb (1)
Tenn (1)
Texas (1)
Virginia Tech (1)

What is each of the above teams won/loss record in the BCS NC games ?
OU has the most appreances, does that add up to more wins ?

85Sooner
1/11/2009, 08:53 AM
Agreed. No doubt we are a top tier Program. History determines that. Even when Blake was here OU had respect simply by all the talk of how OU wasn't living up to their Historical expectations. I think some are adding our history to the overall results of the past 5 years in the qualification of being a powerhouse.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/11/2009, 09:22 AM

I can barely read this. Pathetic.

LSU had great athletes. Jason White was injured and was not playing to his potential that game. Kejuan Jones, however, was a beast and appeared to be willing OU to a tie. One dropped pass in the end zone and we were trash? Hmm.

Boise State had an inspired Cinderella type year... or did they? They do seem to have an easy road, but they when they DO play BCS teams, they are playing top tier teams well every year. OU came in to that game VERY flat and didn't show up until late in the third, I believe. It appeared that we had the game in hand until some amazing trick plays were run to perfection. We were trash?

WV. Another game that we came in to flat. I have little to argue with about our performance, but White and Slaton were a hell of a tandom. OU played poorly, but I wouldn't call them trash.

Besides, I'll bet any one of our players has a better handle on grammar, spelling and punctuation than you do. I mean, from the looks of this post anyway.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/11/2009, 09:26 AM
What is each of the above teams won/loss record in the BCS NC games ?
OU has the most appreances, does that add up to more wins ?

Let me help you here. The higher level bowl you play in, the higher level competition you play. If we weren't all that good, as you imply, we would play sorrier teams. Losing to the best team in the country 3 times isn't a big deal. It sucks that we can't claim to be the best, but we are in THE game.

THE game. Not the other decent games. THE GAME.

Harry Beanbag
1/11/2009, 10:03 AM
Wow, this thread is even more stupid today.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/11/2009, 10:07 AM
Wow, this thread is even more stupid today.

I believe you meant to say, "more stupider", sir.

85Sooner
1/11/2009, 10:33 AM
OU (4) 1-3 25%
Ohio State (3) 1-2 33%
Fla State (3) 1-2 33%
LSU (2) 2-0 100%
Fla (2) 2-0 100%
Miami (2) 1-1 50%
USC (2) 1-1 50%
Neb (1) 0-1 0%
Tenn (1) 0-1 0%
Texas (1) 1-0 100%
Virginia Tech (1) 0-1 50%

8th out of 11 and lowest of any team that has played more than once.
Now for the entire history not counting this year

All-Time Winning Percentages

Record
Percentage

LSU 4-0 1.000

Texas 2-0 1.000

Wisconsin 2-0 1.000

West Virginia 2-0 1.000

Auburn 1-0 1.000

Boise State 1-0 1.000

Kansas 1-0 1.000

Louisville 1-0 1.000

Oregon 1-0 1.000

Oregon St. 1-0 1.000

Penn State 1-0 1.000

Utah 1-0 1.000

Washington 1-0 1.000

USC 5-1 .833

Miami (Fla.) 3-1 .750

Florida 3-1 .750

Georgia 2-1 .667

Ohio State 4-2 .667

Tennessee 1-1 .500

Nebraska 1-1 .500

Oklahoma 2-4 .333

Michigan 1-3 .250

Florida State 1-5 .170

Alabama 0-1 .000

Colorado 0-1 .000

Hawaii 0-1 .000

Iowa 0-1 .000

Kansas St. 0-1 .000

Maryland 0-1 .000

Pittsburgh 0-1 .000

Purdue 0-1 .000

Stanford 0-1 .000

Syracuse 0-1 .000

Texas A&M 0-1 .000

UCLA 0-1 .000

Washington St. 0-1 .000

Illinois 0-2 .000

Notre Dame 0-3 .000

Virginia Tech 0-3 .000

OU 28% winning record on the big stages. 21st on a list of 39

ie: not in the top twenty

ranked 12 out of 17 counting only the teams that have played in more than one BCS Game.

ie: not in the Top ten.

The Question is: Is this a satisfactory result/standing for the Fans of OU?

OU= Regional Power and < a National power. OU! Respected not feared.

Harry Beanbag
1/11/2009, 10:51 AM
I am so jealous of the Louisville football program. I can only hope and pray that one day OU will be mentioned in same breath as the 'Ville. :rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
1/11/2009, 10:53 AM
uh 85...

and to get under 8times skin a little bit more...

for accuracy's sake...

Texas is 3 - 0 in BCS games.

TUSooner
1/11/2009, 11:02 AM
OU (4) 1-3 25%
Ohio State (3) 1-2 33%
Fla State (3) 1-2 33%
LSU (2) 2-0 100%
Fla (2) 2-0 100%
Miami (2) 1-1 50%
USC (2) 1-1 50%
Neb (1) 0-1 0%
Tenn (1) 0-1 0%
Texas (1) 1-0 100%
Virginia Tech (1) 0-1 50% [etc. ad nauseam]

Square peg, meet round hole.

yur-out
1/11/2009, 11:14 AM
uh 85...

and to get under 8times skin a little bit more...

for accuracy's sake...

Texas is 3 - 0 in BCS games.

And texass is 0 - 3 for the last three years as conference champions. So the question is.....would you rather win the conference and lose a bowl game or not win the conference and win your bowl game (I know you'd rather do both). Not to be all Ricky Bobby, but if you're not playing in the title game does it matter? Which is better....To say we are the Whatever Bowl Champs for 5 staright years OR that we tried and failed in the big show.
Back before the BCS, each and every Bowl mattered because if you were #4 and 1,2, & 3 lost, you could be champions. Now it doesn't matter. who wins the BCS title game wins (OK exception: the one year with the condoms).
It's like saying in the NFL, we won the wildcard week, but lost the next week. If you're not in the Super Bowl....who cares.

Boomer Mooner
1/11/2009, 11:16 AM
OU (4) 1-3 25%
Ohio State (3) 1-2 33%
Fla State (3) 1-2 33%
LSU (2) 2-0 100%
Fla (2) 2-0 100%
Miami (2) 1-1 50%
USC (2) 1-1 50%
Neb (1) 0-1 0%
Tenn (1) 0-1 0%
Texas (1) 1-0 100%
Virginia Tech (1) 0-1 50%

8th out of 11 and lowest of any team that has played more than once.
Now for the entire history not counting this year

All-Time Winning Percentages

Record
Percentage

LSU 4-0 1.000

Texas 2-0 1.000

Wisconsin 2-0 1.000

West Virginia 2-0 1.000

Auburn 1-0 1.000

Boise State 1-0 1.000

Kansas 1-0 1.000

Louisville 1-0 1.000

Oregon 1-0 1.000

Oregon St. 1-0 1.000

Penn State 1-0 1.000

Utah 1-0 1.000

Washington 1-0 1.000

USC 5-1 .833

Miami (Fla.) 3-1 .750

Florida 3-1 .750

Georgia 2-1 .667

Ohio State 4-2 .667

Tennessee 1-1 .500

Nebraska 1-1 .500

Oklahoma 2-4 .333

Michigan 1-3 .250

Florida State 1-5 .170

Alabama 0-1 .000

Colorado 0-1 .000

Hawaii 0-1 .000

Iowa 0-1 .000

Kansas St. 0-1 .000

Maryland 0-1 .000

Pittsburgh 0-1 .000

Purdue 0-1 .000

Stanford 0-1 .000

Syracuse 0-1 .000

Texas A&M 0-1 .000

UCLA 0-1 .000

Washington St. 0-1 .000

Illinois 0-2 .000

Notre Dame 0-3 .000

Virginia Tech 0-3 .000

OU 28% winning record on the big stages. 21st on a list of 39

ie: not in the top twenty

ranked 12 out of 17 counting only the teams that have played in more than one BCS Game.

ie: not in the Top ten.

The Question is: Is this a satisfactory result/standing for the Fans of OU?

OU= Regional Power and < a National power. OU! Respected not feared.

What a worthless waste of time to prove nothing. I defy anyone to find a more lame use of statistics to prove absolutely nothing.

Maybe if you put 3 or 4 more spaces between lines you could have made it more useless.

aero
1/11/2009, 11:35 AM
25% of half of the top 1/3 of the best 4 out of 7 of .88 x Pi r2 of Soonerfans say they would rather not see posts like this. You play better competition, chances of losing go up. You play for titles and play for titles often, chances of losing title games go up. If this was all so, so easy, why is it in 100 plus years and well over 1000 games, we have more titles than almost everybody else yet we still only have 7. Once again, we don't always have the best team, sometimes the breaks just go against us, and sometimes we just don't perform to our abilities. But Bob is keeping us right there in the mix and that's where you have to be if you want to win it all. My, how time heals. I still remember the 90's and some beat downs. Any body here want sympathy from the whorns? That's where we were. So you can take all the stats you want....well, I think I'll just stop now.

85Sooner
1/11/2009, 11:59 AM
25% of half of the top 1/3 of the best 4 out of 7 of .88 x Pi r2 of Soonerfans say they would rather not see posts like this. You play better competition, chances of losing go up. You play for titles and play for titles often, chances of losing title games go up. If this was all so, so easy, why is it in 100 plus years and well over 1000 games, we have more titles than almost everybody else yet we still only have 7. Once again, we don't always have the best team, sometimes the breaks just go against us, and sometimes we just don't perform to our abilities. But Bob is keeping us right there in the mix and that's where you have to be if you want to win it all. My, how time heals. I still remember the 90's and some beat downs. Any body here want sympathy from the whorns? That's where we were. So you can take all the stats you want....well, I think I'll just stop now.

Again I think most of you are missing the point. The Question was "is OU a power house in the NATION. We all agree we would rather be where we are than most. and notice Texas lid that I mentioned that the history did not count this years records and yeah the competition is better. Boise State , whooo glad we don't have to play those boys every year right?

TXBOOMER
1/11/2009, 12:48 PM
What a tool.

:rolleyes:

You guys didn't play in the Big 12 Championship game we did. We won the the Big 12 South on a tiebraker therefore we were the Big 12 South Champs. You guys were the runner-ups based on the tiebraker rules. If you for one second think we didn't show up for our bowl game you didn't watch it. Ohio State could not hold Florida's jocks. You guys beat a mediocre Big 10 Ohio State Team on the last play of the game, way to show up. Shove your fake empathy, you wanted us to get beat just like I and the majority of Sooner fans always want texass to get beat. I look for us to double texass'es number of Big 12 South Championships (8 - 4) next year. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :pop:

CrimsonJim
1/11/2009, 12:58 PM
Again I think most of you are missing the point. The Question was "is OU a power house in the NATION. We all agree we would rather be where we are than most. and notice Texas lid that I mentioned that the history did not count this years records and yeah the competition is better. Boise State , whooo glad we don't have to play those boys every year right?

I have read this thread from top to bottom, and with all due respect, I don't think "most of you" are missing the point, it's just that most of us don't agree with you. I'm not going to get into a page long diatribe of why I disagree, but I do. OU is a national power house, period. Ask fans of other schools and I'm sure they'd agree. Like 'em or not, we've had a few posts from such peeps in this thread stating just what I've said. Ok, I'm out......before this gets long winded. ;)

GottaHavePride
1/11/2009, 01:02 PM
Why is this thread still going?

Re.

Tard.

Ded.