PDA

View Full Version : This really pisses me off!

adoniijahsooner
1/10/2009, 07:06 AM
Only Eleven people show up to greet our Sooners as they return from a hard fought game. I live in Texas, so maybe I don't have much of say; but in my mind our guys deserve much better than that.

http://newsok.com/ou-football-sooners-greeted-on-return/article/3336793?custom_click=headlines_widget

NORMAN — Eleven people, not counting police officers and media members, showed up Friday at Gaylord Family — Oklahoma Memorial Stadium to welcome the Oklahoma football team back from Miami.

This next quote is very sad, when you think of the way these guys bled and fought last night. We as fans sure aren't giving guys like Sam, Jermaine and Gerald any incentive to stay another year. We go from this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beYeHQ1_NWM&feature=related

To This

Lori McClure, a Norman resident who came because her 11-year-old son, Harrison McClure, is a big OU fan, said the gathering was actually larger than it was last year. The Sooners lost to West Virginia in the Fiesta Bowl while Norman was still recovering from a major ice storm.

But in many of our minds we think we reserve the right to bitch and moan about play calling, Bob's bowl record, or players making mistakes.

ouflak
1/10/2009, 08:42 AM
The spoils of victory usually go to the victors. One of those spoils is lots of adoring fans greeting you when you get back home. We weren't the victors. It's tough, but that's part of life; of why you win, not just loose with great effort. Sorry. :(

sooner13f
1/10/2009, 09:20 AM
Wow. 11 people. How sad is that?

OklaPony
1/10/2009, 09:32 AM
Perhaps it should have been advertised a little better, I had no idea when they'd be back... anyone else?

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2009, 09:33 AM
Were you their adoniijah? No...you made that clear...not ever OU fan lives in Norman..and those kids realize it.
Some of us that would be there live out of state. Some of us that would have been there haven't made it back from Miami. Some of us that would have been there had to work. Some of us that would have been there had other things going on.

If they want to hear our praises...they can come on here and they can read plenty of them!

SoonerMom2
1/10/2009, 09:43 AM
Perhaps it should have been advertised a little better, I had no idea when they'd be back... anyone else?

I live in Norman and had no idea when they would be arriving back until I saw the news at 10:00 last night. I didn't see a post on here about their arrival time or we would have gone to greet them. In 2000 they came home at night and were late. My daughter and I stood in the ice and it was cold while we waited for them to return. Certainly would have gone on the very nice day we had yesterday.

Dio
1/10/2009, 09:48 AM
Some of us have these things called "jobs"

lank77
1/10/2009, 10:36 AM
What the heck to people expect. OU has lost FIVE straight BIG games to teams all across the country. Yes we win the B12 but we saw how strong the conference teams played in bowl games. OU has turned in to a REGIONAL Power hence the B12 championships. They are no longer a NATIONAL power hence losses to USC (Pac 10) LSU, FLA (SEC) Boise St (Mount West?) and W. Virginia (Big East)

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2009, 10:40 AM
OU has turned in to a REGIONAL Power hence the B12 championships. They are no longer a NATIONAL power hence losses to USC (Pac 10) LSU, FLA (SEC) Boise St (Mount West?) and W. Virginia (Big East)

How many of your 20 posts have these two sentences in them?

Soonerus
1/10/2009, 10:41 AM
Usually when OU wins it is announced when they will arrive at the airport and back at the stadium...when we lose no announcement is made, I can assure you if announcements had been made you would have seen a good number of people out there.

Dan Thompson
1/10/2009, 01:40 PM
How many where at the airport?

StoopTroup
1/10/2009, 01:45 PM
Were you their adoniijah? No...you made that clear...not ever OU fan lives in Norman..and those kids realize it.
Some of us that would be there live out of state. Some of us that would have been there haven't made it back from Miami. Some of us that would have been there had to work. Some of us that would have been there had other things going on.

If they want to hear our praises...they can come on here and they can read plenty of them!

Adiniijah is just hurting. When your hurting you sometimes don't think of these things.

I was dead when I got Home to Tulsa. I left everything I had in the stands.

Time to fuel up.

I've got a Red and White Game to go to soon.

Hotrod3157
1/10/2009, 02:11 PM
If the school were to announce a little rally one night this week or next Saturday I'm sure there would be a large turnout. Normally when stuff is announced and made publicly known OU fans turn out for it.

SeattleOUstudent
1/10/2009, 02:28 PM
They will have 90k awaiting their arrival in a few short months :)

If I were a football player, Im not sure how many fans/people I would want standing around after I had lost that game.

SoonerShark
1/10/2009, 02:47 PM
How many fans were not back yet? How many actually have jobs that they had to attend on Friday? Was school back in session yet? Was the time of return actually advertised. The team flew on a charter, not a scheduled airline flight.

Soonerus
1/10/2009, 03:10 PM
The team arrived on a private charter and exited on the tarmac to buses or cars or whatever...

tommieharris91
1/10/2009, 03:19 PM
Only eleven people showed up because most of our fans are discussing whether we are a national power or not.

nytehorn
1/10/2009, 03:23 PM
I am sure many of you have played sports, and that was the LAST thing I wanted to do after a season-ending loss, was to shake hands, and hear we had a good year. I imagine the players were gratefull there were only 11.

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 05:44 PM
I am sure many of you have played sports, and that was the LAST thing I wanted to do after a season-ending loss, was to shake hands, and hear we had a good year. I imagine the players were gratefull there were only 11.

Yup, you lose the game, you just want to get back and go the **** home.

adoniijahsooner
1/10/2009, 06:36 PM

I could have lied and said that I was there cheering with a foam finger on my hand. I am shocked, because they said it was more fans there last year after the lost to WV; and that was during a ice storm. Maybe next year we can have a big party with butt naked women and courvoisier.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2009, 06:51 PM
This one is on the Athletic Department, especially the Media Relations department. If you want to have a large fan base greeting your players, you need to plan for it. They could have called the Sports Animal, the Daily Oklahoman, and various other tv outlets and announced when the players were coming back and urging the public to greet them. I am sure hundreds would have made it.

A story like this is bad for recruiting.

Anyone remember the autograph signing event in Spinal Tap?

jdsooner
1/10/2009, 07:29 PM
I am more pissed off that we lost another BCS game.

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2009, 07:48 PM
That goes without saying. But this thread is about the Sooner team's return to Oklahoma.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/10/2009, 09:19 PM
How many of your 20 posts have these two sentences in them?

All of them!!!!

Soonerus
1/10/2009, 09:21 PM
Hey, 15 people showed up for Florida's unannounced return...does that pisss anybody off ???

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 09:33 PM
I'm sure OUr guys know that people have lives and are probably pleased with how many Sooners made the game and how many actively support them all season.

bstuff1979
1/10/2009, 10:08 PM
I think I'd have made it by for that if I wasn't sitting in the airport in Ft. Lauderdale. While I'm not all that big on trashing an college athlete (as he/she is unpaid and doing it more or less because they love the sport or need the scholarship), I could stretch my mind to see why some folks may have been irked by the last Fiesta bowl. But, this one is far different in my mind. The team didn't get their tail's kicked. They didn't pull a massive choke job. As much as I hate to say it, they lost to a better team that made better halftime adjustments. Say two or three plays go differently, OU wins. Reality is that those plays didn't go the way I would have wanted them to. Either way, the team was great and the fans that went were great. For the fans that went to the airport to greet, they should get some sort of lifetime pass to the Santee Lounge.