PDA

View Full Version : Good game Sooners - observations from a gator

Gatorcarson
1/9/2009, 09:46 PM
First, good game Sooners. I have been to every Gator game this year and I can tell you that OU was BY FAR the best team we played all year long. It stinks to lose but remember that every team in college football wanted to be in that game last night so being there is still quite an accomplishment. You guys played well and have nothing to be ashamed of.

Some observations:

1. The layoff affected both teams a little, particularly in the first quarter, and led to a little sloppy play in the first half.

2. I have to admit, OU was much better along both lines than I thought. They beat UF along the lines the entire first half. The second half was about even but OU was very physical.

3. Bradford is unreal. I was nervous each time he dropped back.

4. The decision to go for it on fourth down was the right decision at the time. Hind sight is 20 20 but Tory Davis of UF just made a great play.

5. UF's secondary was the difference in the game. I am shocked we held OU to 14 points. After seeing OU live their I am as impressed with it as I thought I would be.

6. I am sick of the media questioning the participants in this game. It was not just the computers that put OU v. UF. The AP poll also had OU and UF an now they are questioning who the national champ should be?? Give me a break.

7. After watching the bowls, there is no question in my mind these were the two best teams in the country.

8. Both teams played well and were ready and well prepared. This was not a case of one team losing the game but one team just won it. The game was dead even through three periods and the difference was when our safety took the ball on the interception an Tebow led a TD drive. Other than that it was even.

9. Going in the game I thought both offenses were very good and UF had a slight edge in Defense. Thats kind of how it turned out. But either team could have won last night. A few plays made the difference.

In any event, I enjoyed talking with the Sooner fans before and after the game. It was a great game and OU should be proud of its team and Stoops. I have seen some good teams play this year but OU was by far the best. I am glad we don't have to see Bradford again.

Good luck next season and I say we do this again in Pasadena next year??

Collier11
1/9/2009, 09:53 PM
Agreed on most points, see ya there!

olevetonahill
1/9/2009, 10:08 PM
Agreed on most points, see ya there!

Except If we meet em Next yera I believe they will Be seeing Sam again .:D

Collier11
1/9/2009, 11:27 PM
No doubt, lets hope for an early Christmas present from Sam the Man!

sozo
1/9/2009, 11:56 PM
First, good game Sooners. I have been to every Gator game this year and I can tell you that OU was BY FAR the best team we played all year long. It stinks to lose but remember that every team in college football wanted to be in that game last night so being there is still quite an accomplishment. You guys played well and have nothing to be ashamed of.

Some observations:

1. The layoff affected both teams a little, particularly in the first quarter, and led to a little sloppy play in the first half.

2. I have to admit, OU was much better along both lines than I thought. They beat UF along the lines the entire first half. The second half was about even but OU was very physical.

4. The decision to go for it on fourth down was the right decision at the time. Hind sight is 20 20 but Tory Davis of UF just made a great play.

5. UF's secondary was the difference in the game. I am shocked we held OU to 14 points. After seeing OU live their I am as impressed with it as I thought I would be.

6. I am sick of the media questioning the participants in this game. It was not just the computers that put OU v. UF. The AP poll also had OU and UF an now they are questioning who the national champ should be?? Give me a break.

7. After watching the bowls, there is no question in my mind these were the two best teams in the country.

8. Both teams played well and were ready and well prepared. This was not a case of one team losing the game but one team just won it. The game was dead even through three periods and the difference was when our safety took the ball on the interception an Tebow led a TD drive. Other than that it was even.

9. Going in the game I thought both offenses were very good and UF had a slight edge in Defense. Thats kind of how it turned out. But either team could have won last night. A few plays made the difference.

In any event, I enjoyed talking with the Sooner fans before and after the game. It was a great game and OU should be proud of its team and Stoops. I have seen some good teams play this year but OU was by far the best. I am glad we don't have to see Bradford again.

Thank you very much.

jagwelborn
1/10/2009, 12:07 AM

Some observations:

I admire your sportsmanship...it's a lost art anymore.

texas bandman
1/10/2009, 12:14 AM
Very gratious...but if we do meet next year we're gonna pound you to a pulp. :D

budbarrybob
1/10/2009, 12:29 AM
With our luck, if we get there we'll be playing USC in their backyard.

BASSooner
1/10/2009, 04:16 AM

Some observations:

spek to you sir.

I haven't heard such classy words from a gator fan such as yourself. I wish most people had the same sportsmanship as you.

I hope we do meet again in pasadena

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 04:34 AM
Wow...a gator with a bit of class! Hats off to you for being "the one"!

Mr2Cents
1/10/2009, 09:24 AM
I tip my hat to Oklahoma as well. That was a game for the ages and it was a priviledge to see Florida on the field with one of the most storied programs in college football.

Major props to OU in all phases of the game. Defensively, that was the best scheme and effort UF has faced all season, as evidenced by a season-low scoring output and a career high in INTs for Tebow. On special teams, OU did a thoroughly amazing job shutting down Brandon James. Going into the game, I was thinking James could be the difference maker, but OU's return coverage was sublime and rendered James a nonfactor. On offense, I also held my breath every time Bradford set his feet and scanned the field. That dude is money. Same for Gresham, who was an absolute nightmare for the secondary .... and the linebackers ..... and D-line. By far, the scariest offense Florida has faced since the '96 Fiasco Bowl.

Hopefully, Stoops will rebound. He's a first class guy and I'd put his first 10 years as a head coach against anybody (eight 11+ win seasons, six conference titles, and four appearances in national title games is simply unreal in this age of parity). I've had a soft spot for him ever since he came to Florida in 1996.

My family and I had a good time mingling amongst some Sooner fans on South Beach and around home in Tampa Bay over the past couple of weeks. Very civil, gracious, and football savvy.

In the end I'm just glad ESPN let us play on Thursday. I was afraid both teams would be forced to forfeit the title game and ship the trophy to Los Angeles. Let's make their heads explode by hooking up in USC's backyard next January. :D

Sooner70
1/10/2009, 10:19 AM
FLA Gators are a great team with athleticism. For me, it was a lot like the Texas game, except opposite in some ways (I'll explain). My worst fears came true when it came to a tight game late, & Tebow would make a difference. I knew he had the potential to do that, and he did. Same way with Vince Young. Tebow is a true leader and great athlete. Not sure of his NFL draft position, though, but that's a different thread.

It seemed opposite of the Texas game for me in this way--at the RRR, I thought the Sam/offense handled business as 35 points shoulda been enough to win if the defense coulda held their own throughout. Late in the game, OU's defense couldn't hold Texas & they went on a 25-7 run. In this game, I felt OU's defense (Fla's also) did a very credible job against a very,very,very good offensive team. Best OU's faced all year. BUT, the offense failed to cash in when they got to the red zone. For whatever reason, & I'm not blaming it on Bradford-his passes, even the interceptions, were largely on the money, the offense just didn't get it done when they should've. i'm sure Fla's defensive athleticism had something to do with that, but still OU's Offense shoulda been able to get to the end zone.

Desert Sapper
1/10/2009, 10:33 AM
Let's make their heads explode by hooking up in USC's backyard next January. :D

Awesome. Just Awesome. I'm game. :D

AlbqSooner
1/10/2009, 12:22 PM
Class posts from both Gator fans. Very muchly appreciated.

Additionaly, class was shown by waiting 24 hours to post so we could decompress enough to understand and accept what you had to say.

See ya in Pasadena!