PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for your tough loss

DocNice
1/9/2009, 08:17 PM
I thought the game was a lot closer than most analysts called it. Florida was better last night, but not by a lot. And I thought the comments that they "shut you down" was not indicative of the actual offense. Really, I thought OU was much more dominant on offense than UF.

UF was gritty and managed to grind out a lot of first downs, but OU just moved the ball so easily at times. The stats bear that out a bit.

OU averaged 6.6 yards on first down. That's huge. UF averaged 6.3, but that's skewed by the 2 big Harvin runs (versus consistent first downs for OU). Without those 2 runs, they averaged 3.7 on first down.

On the flip side, OU averaged 4.2 on 3rd down while UF averaged 8.8. OU had so many opportunities to get them off the field, but they converted a lot, while the opposite was true for OU keeping drives alive on 3rd and short.

Translation, some better play calling on both sides of the ball and some luck would probably serve OU well in a hypothetical rematch. Other observations/criticisms: bad clock management. Someone needs to tell Gresham how to get out of bounds, and teach Stoops how to call timeout when you don't get first down instead of burning 25 seconds. they could have gotten 3 more plays off at the end of the first half by using one of those timeouts.

SPuL
1/9/2009, 08:29 PM
^I agree with you at the end of the first half. Gresham instead of going out tried to hop over two defenders.

also, i don't know if I agree if they should have called that time out with 10 seconds left. The clock stops when they move the chains. And i think we had a better shot at doing a quick throw and hurrying up their defense, then calling a time out and giving their defense a breather and to get a play in.

oh well. Good game, next yr hopefully.

DocNice
1/9/2009, 09:06 PM
They should have used that timeout earlier when they didn't go out of bounds.