PDA

View Full Version : Never to early ..................

soonerfan28
1/9/2009, 06:09 PM
to start a thread about how the lineups will look next year.
OFFENSE
QB-Sam Bradford
RB-DeMarco Murray (2)Chris Brown (3)Jermie Calhoun
FB-Matt Clapp and Brody Eldridge
WR-Ryan Broyles (2)Jameel Owens (3)Dejuan Miller
SL- Mossis Madu
LT-Trent Williams
LG-Stephen Good
C -Ben Habern or Jason Hannan
RG-Brian Simmons
RT-Jarvis Jones

I think that Gresham will head to the NFL, but we get Bradford and McCoy back.

DEFENSE
DE-Auston English and Frank Alexander
DT-Gerald McCoy and JaMarcus McFarland
DT-Adrian Taylor and DeMarcus Granger
DE-Jeremy Beal and R.J. Washington
SLB-Kennan Clayton
MLB-Mike Balogun
WLB-Travis Lewis
CB-Dom Franks
CB-Brian Jackson
FS-Sam Proctor
SS-Quinton Carter

sooner2b09
1/9/2009, 06:37 PM
The depth we have at RB next year is incredible. So you might be right and they might move Madu to the slot but I doubt it. And if they did I think Justin Johnson would get the next position over Calhoun who redshirted this year and Johnson didn't.

josh09
1/9/2009, 06:40 PM
I like us next year. IF Sammy returns. A brand new QB might mess up our system, but who knows. We had no idea about Sam when he first stepped on the field.

Soonerus
1/9/2009, 06:40 PM
Wow, the defense looks awesome....

oubose
1/9/2009, 06:56 PM
What a tease you are, my wounds are fresh, I'm still in isolation from the world. My tears have dried but my heart still is broke. My down loaded games of our 08 season in plan sight in front of me I'm really having a tough time letting our season go.

I can't wait, this is what I live for. BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!

ArkanSooner
1/9/2009, 07:08 PM
Don't forget about Brandon Caleb and Adron Tennell. Those guys have been behind Kelly/Iglesias/Johnson/Chaney their whole career, but I have a feeling they're heading for a big season.

pappy
1/9/2009, 07:09 PM
I think box starts at mlb instead of balogun and I agree with you on the madu move to the slot

txsooner14
1/9/2009, 07:46 PM
this just brightened my day...thank you

soonerfan28
1/9/2009, 08:12 PM
Caleb and Tennell will have a lot of work to do to keep Miller and Owens off the field. Neither of those two guys have panned out whether due to injury or whatever. They are true Sooners for sticking it out behind 2 four year starters, but Miller's size and Owens skill set are just to much for them to overcome in my opinion.

soonermagic14
1/9/2009, 09:16 PM
what's the latest with Ryan Reynolds for next year?

soonerfan28
1/9/2009, 09:31 PM
I don't know what Reynold's situation is, but he is not going to be near as mobile as he was this season after being 2 years removed from either an MCL or ACL tear. I don't think he ever plays another down for OU. He is the new Jason White and you hate to se that for a guy who has given his heart and soul to the Oklahoma Sooners team and fans. Good luck Reynolds.

soonerfan28
1/10/2009, 01:20 PM
I think Ibiloye might be the surprise on defense next year.

Hotrod3157
1/10/2009, 02:20 PM
I think Box will be the starter at MLB next season. It would be awesome if Gresham came back next year, he has talked like he has plans on staying but lots of money can be hard to turn down. I have an easier job of imagining Sam coming back and McCoy is a toss up right now. Im sure how they felt after losing to UF will have an impact on their decisions. Wish we could fast forward to spring football.

soonerfan28
1/10/2009, 05:16 PM
What guys will step up next year and contribute even if it's not as a starter.
S-Joseph Ibiloye
WR-Jameel Owens
WR-Dejuan Miller
RB-Jermie Calhoun
I think Justin Johnson may be a good back in the future, but he was not very impressive last spring when he and Madu were the only two healthy TB's. I can't wait to see Calhoun play.

Toronto Sooner
1/10/2009, 06:43 PM
I haven't checked the mock drafts since the game, but I did manage to take a quick glance at 1 of them. On that particular one, Sam was dropped from the 1st pick overall to the 17th pick overall (Jets), due to the Florida game.

IMO, Sam played alright against Florida, but he was obviously no where near his Heisman self. It's obvious that Sam could use another year in college. If the Florida D can made those types of adjustment, just imagine what the pro D co-ordinators will do. Let's hope he makes the right decision and comes back for his junior year - it could help him tremendously once he does to the NFL. Injuries are always a concern (albeit, stats show it seldom happens with similar situations), but hopefully his parents can take out an insurance policy or something like that.

Gresham has stated that he received a first round rating from the NFL. I can understand if he leaves, but staying at OU could do him well also. He could spend the summer working entirely on his pass skills with the OU quarterback, then apply the improvements in game situations at the college level next year. I think he is taking a risk by jumping to the NFL right now. There is no room for mistakes in the NFL. You drop a few passes and you back to sitting on the bench. Then, you get labelled as a pass dropping, similar to a fumbler for running backs. It's difficult, sometimes impossible, to shake those labels.

Trent Williams has been evaluated as a 2nd round pick by the NFL. He said he is considering the move to the NFL, but hasn't leaned either way as yet. Personally, I think he will be a first round pick next year if he stays in school for 1 more year. He has great fundamentals, but he is far from being dominating right now. However, with one more year he could become the total first round package.

G. McCoy has received his NFL grade also, but hasn't said what it is. Obviously, it has to be a first round grade, especially if they redo it after the National Champ. game. There are things GK can work on, but he is probably the closest to being NFL ready of all the players I have just discussed.

By the way, D. Miller is the player I am most looking forward to seeing. He is going to be a monster, based on what I have seen so far, and raw skills he appears to have.

I think they should use J. Mcfarland right away, and forget about this redshirt crap. Anytime you have stud players they should play right away (if they ready or if they show signs that they could be ready after a few games).

soonerfan28
1/10/2009, 06:48 PM
Nice post. Bradford could use adding some more weight. I don't think Gresham will come back because he is so NFL ready. If McCoy goes then I think we are definitely going to be thin at DT if Granger can't come back from back surgery.

JLEW1818
1/10/2009, 07:11 PM
Adron Tennell

I think he finally will get his big chance and be good. Gotta say the Line might be taking a step back. But it could be good for them, having teams underestimate them

Good is future all american

setem
1/10/2009, 07:20 PM
I think Ibiloye will work in on D quite a bit next year. He is too fast to sit on bench!

I still can't help but like how our O-line looks next year. Those guys have had a lot of playing time due to use stomping on folks this year.

Also if Bradford leaves my worries are little to none. I know it will be somewhat of a step back but Landry Jones is being groomed to run the up-tempo so it might be a step back to Sam's first year which was not bad at all!

Reynolds, Balogun, Franklin, Box and Lewis is a ridiculous stable of LB's.

I have said this before and I will say it again! You can ride a great D-line to the championship! LSU has done it twice. We have the coaching and the tools to be contenders again if not next year then the next.

adoniijahsooner
1/10/2009, 08:20 PM
I am looking forward to seeing Jermie Calhoun take care of business.

Toronto Sooner
1/10/2009, 08:23 PM
Stacy McGee (DT) was a Rivals top 100 player. I have no idea how he is coming along with his general development and his physical development, but hopefully all that is coming along well. If all is good then perhaps he will push for some playing time (as a redshirt freshman), especially if Granger's recovery is slow.

James Hanna might get serious time as the pass catching TE if Gresham leaves.

Caleb (WR) looked great this year, with limited opportunities. I would like to see him raise his game to the next level next year, and compete for one of the starting jobs, or the 4th receiver position.

Madu, I liked everything he did in the Missouri, but didn't like anything he did in the Florida game. I would like the coaching staff to go with the best guy for the slot job, instead of just giving it to a player out of dedication, even if it means Madu stays in a back up role in the slot couple with being the 4th RB (and special teams).

I'm interested in seeing what Vinson (OL) can do (current recruiting class) - the JC transfer out of Pa. JC experience can work sometimes, although not every time. Sooners have had both good experiences and bad. Loadholt and B. Walker were both JC transfers, with both starting right away, and both going to the NFL.

adoniijahsooner
1/10/2009, 08:29 PM
Here is a clear video of Calhoun. What I like is his vision and footwork. If this guy has gained strength during this redshirt year, he may take carries away from brown and murray.

http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/1385252998

adoniijahsooner
1/10/2009, 08:30 PM
Stephen Good slamming people into the turf.

http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/1385252998

adoniijahsooner
1/10/2009, 08:31 PM
RJ Washington

http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/1399286374

Toronto Sooner
1/10/2009, 08:56 PM
I knew Calhoun had the power and the size to be a monster with the inside running game, but it seems like he has much more. I didn't fully realize he had such moves and quickness in the open field - that is extremely impressive for a 6-2, 210 lbs running back. He can even catch out of the backfield.

I look forward to seeing him next year. He could be special.

soonerfan28
1/11/2009, 10:21 AM
If Madu moves to the slot I think it will be in an effort to get the best athletes on the field. I can't see us sitting Calhoun another year unless he is just not getting the offense.

soonerfan28
1/14/2009, 06:07 PM
I guess we look pretty good come next season.

soonerfan28
1/14/2009, 06:09 PM
Double post.

soonerfan28
1/28/2009, 12:32 PM
With Kenney coming in then I would say he would have to be in the mix for playing time.

OUmillenium
1/29/2009, 11:12 AM
This thread was started early with talk of Bradford, Gresham going to the NFL. Now we know better, how bout we throw out some updated lineups knowing who will be back next year. Then we can update again after signing day.

Bradford, Murray, Gresham, Broyles, Eldridge, Clapp makes for a solid offense even with average line play.

Our defense should be awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Special teams were surprisingly solid v Florida, that is encouraging.

soonerfan28
1/29/2009, 11:33 AM
QB-Sam Bradford
RB-DeMarco Murray (2)Chris Brown (3)Jermie Calhoun
FB-Matt Clapp and Brody Eldridge
TE- Jermaine Gresham and Brody Eldridge
WR-Ryan Broyles (2)Jameel Owens or Cameron Kenney or Dejuan Miller
SL- Mossis Madu
LT-Trent Williams
LG-Stephen Good
C -Ben Habern or Jason Hannan
RG-Brian Simmons
RT-Jarvis Jones

Now that we have Kenney it could be an interesting spring if he's here. I think or WR's are looking nice with Broyles, Owens, Miller, Tennell, Caleb, Kenney. If they move Madu into the slot then it gets better and if we could find a way to get Reuben Randle then this could be a major strength for us next year.

DEFENSE
DE-Auston English and Frank Alexander
DT-Gerald McCoy and JaMarcus McFarland
DT-Adrian Taylor and DeMarcus Granger
DE-Jeremy Beal and R.J. Washington
SLB-Kennan Clayton
MLB-Mike Balogun
WLB-Travis Lewis
CB-Dom Franks
CB-Brian Jackson
FS-Sam Proctor
SS-Quinton Carter

Chiliman
1/29/2009, 01:05 PM
Box @ MLB. Too fast and athletic to sit.

soonerfan28
1/29/2009, 01:54 PM
Box @ MLB. Too fast and athletic to sit.
Maybe they are trying to prevent themselves from getting in a situation like Texas again this year. I don't think Balogun has done anything to kepp himself from being the starter. He also has the size you need in the middle. Box could have played in the NC and didn't. That says something.

rainiersooner
1/29/2009, 03:56 PM
Box could have played in the NC and didn't. That says something.

Really? I thought it was a game time decision and that they decided he wasn't healthy enough.

goingoneight
1/29/2009, 09:43 PM
He was cleared to play, but coaches decided Balogun was ahead of him in game-planning and was closer to "speed" than Box at the time. That may change after Schmiddy gets ahold of them before long and Box heals up. I believe Box also had an elbow injury that was of concern.