PDA

View Full Version : Pete Fiutak from CFN

Skysooner
1/9/2009, 05:09 PM
I totally agree with this. It states it very well. I'm tired of the haters thinking that something was done wrong, etc. We did deserve to be in that game, and I'm proud of the effort the team put in. We just didn't execute on a few plays. This wasn't the LSU game (offense was pathetic) and not a USC game (offense and defense was pathetic). These were essentially equally matched teams. Florida might win 6 out of 10 (giving them the edge because of the lack of DeMarco). Here is to a great season.

"Watch how quickly the media turns on Oklahoma, just like it turned on Ohio State ... and unfairly so. The same argument why Ohio State didn't deserve to be destroyed by the college football world after each of the last two years can be used now ... Oklahoma lost a national championship. That's all. Don't let the pot stirrers fool you; Florida would beat USC. It would beat Utah, Texas, UL Monroe, and anyone else you want to throw out there. This was the best team in college football, and there's no shame for Oklahoma to lose this game. The Sooners showed up, got the offense moving (far better than it's being given credit for by the post-game talking heads), and that's it. 117 other teams would've lost, too, and maybe two or three, if everything broke right, would've been where the Sooners were in the fourth quarter. Oklahoma is now 2-5 in the BCS under Bob Stoops, and while you can dog his team of a few years ago for quitting in the national title game loss to USC, and you can blame the team for not taking Boise State or West Virginia seriously enough, to be the star of the Big 12 year after year after year is impressive no matter what happens in the bowl games. Overall, this is one of the three best programs in America (Florida and USC being the other two), it'll be in the hunt for the national title next year, and the year after that, and the year after that. Not everyone can win the national title every year, but only a few can be in the picture for a decade. So Oklahoma isn't the best team in the country. It still might be No. 2."

http://cfn.scout.com/2/828643.html

soonermix
1/9/2009, 05:11 PM
second place is the first loser

BigGobbler
1/9/2009, 05:17 PM
Good read, but 5 straight BCS losses isn't acceptable and it's not good enough for Oklahoma.

SoonerSon
1/9/2009, 05:30 PM
Good post, Skysooner. After a tough loss like that, I'll take anything that is somewhat positive and goes against what the asshats on ESPeNis spew. No need to hang our head, as we have much to be proud of...but we've got to get out of this BCS bowl purgatory.

Rebel Gator
1/9/2009, 05:38 PM
The Sooners played about as well as they can and even scored 4 more points than I predicted.

You had a fine season but had to play the SEC Champions.....not a good way to end the season:D .

MichiganSooner
1/9/2009, 05:38 PM
Tired of losing but he has got it in proper perspective. Quite frankly, when two teams play, one is always going to lose.

SoonerBBall
1/9/2009, 05:50 PM
Good read, but 5 straight BCS losses isn't acceptable and it's not good enough for Oklahoma.

Very insightful. Who should we, or even could we, get to replace Stoops?

P.S. I was lying, the quote was insightful.

OUAlumni1990
1/9/2009, 05:55 PM
I'm still proud of them.

Boomer38Sooner
1/9/2009, 06:09 PM
I'm still proud of them.

I completely agree. Thank you Pete Fuitak. I think that the fact that he said that we are one of the three best programs in the country and left Texas out made my day!!

Collier11
1/9/2009, 07:44 PM
Its just like Stoops said, if this is the biggest burden he has to live with then life isnt too bad. We will get back after it next yr and try to play in another one

lwg8tr01
1/9/2009, 08:31 PM
I think Oklahoma’s troubles in bowl games, and I know Ill get hammered for this, is the conference you play in. The Big-12 this year was shown to be better than the Big East and the ACC but not up to par from top to bottom with the PAC-10 and the SEC. Let’s go down the list, your cellar dwellers Baylor and Iowa State are pretty horrid. The teams at the next echelon, Kansas State, A&M and Colorado are not even up to the cellar dweller level of a let’s say Vanderbilt or South Carolina. Next up is your flash in the pans like Missouri and Kansas which every 15 years when the stars align and they have enough senior talent make a run. Next is your solid Pre News Day Bowl bunch like Nebraska and OSU. Nebraska was solid during the Osbourne years like 10 years ago, but so was UCLA. Those teams would go 5-3 in either the SEC West or East. Next we have your elites, Texas, Tex Tech and you guys. Texas is a legit BCS team with talent like you guys and could be competitive in any league. Tech is a system team which over time and with a new coach will drift back to 7-4 mediocrity and play every few years in some .com bowl. So it boils down that you guys besides the occasional dust up with an out of conference heavy play one real tough game a year. It showed last night and its why you have issues in bowls. Besides 2000, OU bowl record in games that counted has been dismal and that includes the Switzer years. Beating everyone up on your playground doesn’t make you heavyweight champ of the world.

Frozen Sooner
1/9/2009, 08:59 PM
Switzer was 8-5 in bowl games. 6-2 in the Orange Bowl.

Go play with a rusty razor.

GG84
1/9/2009, 09:12 PM
There is no shame in losing to LSU, USC, or Florida in the national championship game. All three of those teams were of very high quality. You should have taken care of business against BSU and WVU though. I don't know what the personnel difference is between this year's and last year's OU defense, but from what I saw last night WVU should not have been able to score more than 21 points on you guys last season.

bluedogok
1/9/2009, 09:14 PM
second place is the first loser
....and STILL better than 118 other Division I-A teams.

NOVSooner
1/9/2009, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=lwg8tr01;2558690]I think Oklahoma’s troubles in bowl games, and I know Ill get hammered for this, is the conference you play in.QUOTE]

thinking about this statement, i was thinking about the season and how the big 12 overall was this year and rankings wise, the big 12 was a really good conference this year but when you think about next year gator dude has a valid point. i mean, look who the big 12 teams are losing player wise and next year appears to be a REALLY DOWN year with us and whorns dominating the conference again. huskers should claim the north very respectively also but i think our ooc schedule next year sets us up well for varied competition but i feel we are looking at a weak conference next year which in a sense validates gators point.

PLaw
1/9/2009, 10:09 PM

Yeah, the losses hurt, but the only one that I'm ashamed of is the TGOWWDNS.

OU was driving to tie the game late in the 4th against LSU.

I was at the two Fiesta Bowls and really who gives a shi$$ about bowl games if you aren't playing for the BCS Championship. In the old days, your bowl game was your opportunity for style points and anything was possible if you were playing in a Major (Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, Rose).

The media wants to make way too much about bowl games in the BCS age and in realty these are a reward/party for the players and are generally meaningless if you aren't playing in the last one.

Last night, NO SHAME. The game was very even and OU had the opporunity to be up 10-7, 13-7, 14-7, 17-7, or 21-7 at the half. Like most games, this one was lost on 3rd downs and our inability to get UF off of the field.

PROUD TO BE A SOONER and DARN PROUD OF OUR COACH, PLAYERS, and ADMINISTRATION.

BOB STOOPS IS A GREAT COACH and be my COACH any day. Obviously, alot of the morons calling for his head don't remember to much about LANDRY's first eight years. I think Tom turned out pretty darn good.

BOOMER BABY!!!

BOOMER

PLaw
1/9/2009, 10:13 PM
There is no shame in losing to LSU, USC, or Florida in the national championship game. All three of those teams were of very high quality. You wahave taken care of business against BSU and WVU though. I don't know what the personnel difference is between this year's and last year's OU defense, but from what I saw last night WVU should not have been able to score more than 21 points on you guys last season.

Excuse me?? The TGOWWDNS was a travesty.

The Remnant
1/9/2009, 11:23 PM
The idea that the PAC 10 is a better conference than the Big 12 is an illusion.Yes, I know that Oregon beat Okie State and Oregon State beat Pitt. However, Oregon finished second in their conference. Do you honestly think that Oregon could hang with the number 2 team in the Big 12, Texas? And Oregon State beating Pitt 3-0? Please, spare me. Washington and Washington State are 2 of the worst teams in Division 1. Add Arizona State to the mix and you still have USC and everybody else.

adoniijahsooner
1/10/2009, 12:00 AM
Good read

texas bandman
1/10/2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks for posting!

BASSooner
1/10/2009, 05:16 AM
I think Oklahoma’s troubles in bowl games, and I know Ill get hammered for this, is the conference you play in. The Big-12 this year was shown to be better than the Big East and the ACC but not up to par from top to bottom with the PAC-10 and the SEC. Let’s go down the list, your cellar dwellers Baylor and Iowa State are pretty horrid. The teams at the next echelon, Kansas State, A&M and Colorado are not even up to the cellar dweller level of a let’s say Vanderbilt or South Carolina. Next up is your flash in the pans like Missouri and Kansas which every 15 years when the stars align and they have enough senior talent make a run. Next is your solid Pre News Day Bowl bunch like Nebraska and OSU. Nebraska was solid during the Osbourne years like 10 years ago, but so was UCLA. Those teams would go 5-3 in either the SEC West or East. Next we have your elites, Texas, Tex Tech and you guys. Texas is a legit BCS team with talent like you guys and could be competitive in any league. Tech is a system team which over time and with a new coach will drift back to 7-4 mediocrity and play every few years in some .com bowl. So it boils down that you guys besides the occasional dust up with an out of conference heavy play one real tough game a year. It showed last night and its why you have issues in bowls. Besides 2000, OU bowl record in games that counted has been dismal and that includes the Switzer years. Beating everyone up on your playground doesn’t make you heavyweight champ of the world.
no

you fail

:mad:

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2009, 05:46 AM

Then do us a favor and jump off our bandwagon!

There was a time, not too long ago where we were not even making a bowl game.

We have won 6 of the 12 Big 12 championships. All 6 in the last 9 years!

We have played in 4 national championships. We have won 1 of them.

If you do not like that, then leave and go jump on Texass' bandwagon since they have 2 Big 12 championships and 1 National Championship. They are 3-0 in BCS Bowls. I mean , they are the pennicle of the Big 12. So go cheer them on if you do not like the outcomes of the last 5 BCS games.

None of us enjoy it. But at least we were there!

soonervegas
1/10/2009, 05:48 AM
The florida guy was actually making a decent point about top to bottom strength of the big 12, then totally blew himself up in that last paragraph. My gut is that he was in diapers during the "switzer" years.

But to the 1st 80 percent on his post.....we need a team or two to rise to the talent level of oklahoma and texas on a year to year basis. The 2000 team was battled tested because they had to beat a GREAT kansas state team, twice. We need Nebraska to rise up and maybe another south team.

There maybe also something to the southeast playing 3 of those 5 national title games as a virtual home game....but that comes off as whiney even though I do believe there is some merit.

JGATOR
1/10/2009, 11:27 AM
The florida guy was actually making a decent point about top to bottom strength of the big 12, then totally blew himself up in that last paragraph. My gut is that he was in diapers during the "switzer" years.

But to the 1st 80 percent on his post.....we need a team or two to rise to the talent level of oklahoma and texas on a year to year basis. The 2000 team was battled tested because they had to beat a GREAT kansas state team, twice. We need Nebraska to rise up and maybe another south team.

There maybe also something to the southeast playing 3 of those 5 national title games as a virtual home game....but that comes off as whiney even though I do believe there is some merit.

I'll disagree with Pete on Ohio St. They do not deserve consideration for NCs for the time being. They have dominated an inferior conference with inferior athletes and then have been blown out in the championship games they have played in. OU will continue to deserve consideration because they have dominated a much better conference with superior athletes and, with a couple of exceptions, have been competative.

3 tough teams in each division is a good mix. You play your division plus a rotation from the other division (do you have a permanent foe from the other division? UF plays LSU from the SEC West each year). That is potentially 5 very tough conference games plus a championship game.

I would also like to see the Cotton Bowl become relevant on the national scene again. Instead of a BCS championship game just add the Cooton Bowl into the mix and get rid of conference affiliations, Then set up a draft by the remaining BCS bowls that do not have the championship game. The first pick would be by the bowl that is farthest away from hosting the championship game and so on.

A-M
1/10/2009, 11:57 AM
I will bet you that there are 117 other college teams who would trade places with us today. I don't like to lose at anything, but you can't lose the Championship game if you don't play in it. Ask Utah and Texas about trading places with us!