PDA

View Full Version : I am tired of playing these important games...

Soonerus
1/9/2009, 01:55 PM
...that are essentially home games for our opponent....I was at the game last night in Miami and if anybody says it was anything other than an 80% pro-Florida crowd they weren't there...I thought our guys played well in another very hostile environment.

OUMedMan
1/9/2009, 02:08 PM
Well, let's see. . . . . .

OU vs. Florida State -- in the Orange Bowl. Advantage Florida State.

Oklahoma vs. LSU in the sugar bowl . . . . . yeah, that would essentially be a "home game" for LSU.

Oklahoma vs. USC in the Orange bowl -- 2000 mile trip for the Sooners, but 3000 mile trip for USC. That's about as "neutral" as a site can be.

Oklahoma vs. Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl . . . . .960 miles from OKC to Phoenix, 990 miles from Boise to Phoenix.

OU vs. West Virgina in the Fiesta Bowl --- 1000 miles for OU, 2500 miles for WVU.

OU vs. Florida -- 2000 mile trip for the Sooners, 330 mile trip for the Gators -- advantage Florida.

OU vs. Texas -- about equal distance.

Big 12 Championship Game -- various places.

It appears to me that OU seems to win (Orange Bowl 2000) or lose (about every place else) about the same regardless of the location.

Besides, I'm not sure you're going to get a whole lot of people to trek to Tulsa for the "Boomer Bowl" on January 1.

bri
1/9/2009, 02:35 PM
Boo-hoo! The other team had fans there! SO NOT FAIR!!

Go cry, emo kid.

Leroy Lizard
1/9/2009, 02:39 PM
One of the overlooked statistics is the location of bowls with respect to USC and Texas.

The number of bowl games they have played where they were essentially the home team is staggering.

Leroy Lizard
1/9/2009, 02:41 PM

I agree. But at the same time, Texas fans were complaining that their loss to Tech should be discounted because they were playing in Lubbock, and that OU's win over Tech should be discounted because the game was played in Norman. And how many times did we have to hear the "neutral field" crap?

Collier11
1/9/2009, 02:46 PM
where do you want to play, buckeye stadium, uco, texas motor speedway?

SoonerMom2
1/9/2009, 04:13 PM
The worst part is that the Orange Bowl scattered our fans around the stadium. My daughter and her friends who had our tickets from the University saw as many FL fans as OU fans in their area. They had two friends with tickets from their parents and they were seated right in the middle of the FL contingent. Why weren't the 16,000 OU tickets for the Orange Bowl in the area of the band? Wonder where they would have been if our opponent was say Penn State?

CatfishSooner
1/9/2009, 04:24 PM
**** florida...**** tebow....****

TXBOOMER
1/9/2009, 04:24 PM
When we played LSU, I was in that toilet bowl and it sucked as well. But hey, the way it is set up the SEC gets to host two of them and the PAC 10 gets the other two. F em all, Boomer Sooner!

TXBOOMER
1/9/2009, 04:25 PM

I'd prefer uco.

Soonerus
1/9/2009, 04:25 PM
I am talking about National Championship games and we have been screwed 3 out of 4 times recently, albeit we overcame it against FSU...If you are at the game it makes a big difference on multiple levels.

Soonerus
1/9/2009, 04:28 PM

Go cry, emo kid.

You bump-weeds who never travel to games have no standing to talk on this issue...go try it sometime and see if you have an attitude adsjustment...

BigRedJed
1/9/2009, 04:28 PM
Jerryworld will probably get the Cotton into the BCS rotation. I'm guessing you'll see a BCS championship in Dallas in the next few years, FWIW.

Soonerus
1/9/2009, 04:31 PM
Jerryworld will probably get the Cotton into the BCS rotation. I'm guessing you'll see a BCS championship in Dallas in the next few years, FWIW.

We were speculating about that today..that would be AWESOME !!!!!

TopDawg
1/9/2009, 04:35 PM

TAFT!

Soonerus
1/9/2009, 04:37 PM
A true neutral field..that's all...

OuSX
1/9/2009, 04:43 PM
As frustrating as it is, all things considered their fans didn't lose us this game. Very few (if any) procedure penalties against us... This is just crying (which I will now go back to doing...)

Sasakwa
1/9/2009, 05:38 PM
The big bowls are always going to be in warm weather or in domes. I think thats one of the reasons the Cotton did not make the rotation even though it had better tradition than the Fiesta. Seems like there was some bad weather during a few Cotton Bowls leading into the old Bowl Alliance or whatever it was called. As mentioned above, that will all be taken care of when the JerryCotton Bowl comes on board.

Its not always fair, but what if this year would have been the Rose or Fiesta and UF had to travel that distance?

When Texas beat USC in 05, that was a home game for USC.

Jock Ewing
1/9/2009, 05:46 PM
Know excuses

CrimsonJim
1/9/2009, 05:57 PM
Know excuses

"Know excuses"?? Wow! You're about as bright as that rock you crawled out from under, ain'tcha? Friggin' whorn troll! :mad:

Soonerus
1/9/2009, 06:37 PM
"Know excuses"?? Wow! You're about as bright as that rock you crawled out from under, ain'tcha? Friggin' whorn troll! :mad:

All Texas has to do is review is the T.Tech game for evidence of home field influence...

williamknowsbest
1/9/2009, 06:54 PM
Stoops made a big deal about the BCS rules speaking for themselves when OU got the invite, pretty sure everyone knew the NC game was being played in Miami before the year began. Move on.

Soonerus
1/9/2009, 07:41 PM
Since I was at Miami in '88 (Miami),Miami in '01 (FSU), New Orleans in '03 (LSU) and now Miami in '09 (Florida) I reserve the right to bitch about these home games for our National Championship opponent.

olevetonahill
1/9/2009, 07:42 PM
Stoops made a big deal about the BCS rules speaking for themselves when OU got the invite, pretty sure everyone knew the NC game was being played in Miami before the year began. Move on.

Dude he is talking From a Fans Perspective . Not the Teams Nor the coaches. :rolleyes:

Soonerus
1/9/2009, 07:45 PM
Dude he is talking From a Fans Perspective . Not the Teams Nor the coaches. :rolleyes:

Exactly, go sit in the middle of a Florida section or an LSU section or a Miami section in one of those games and you will have a different perspective...I know, get better tickets, I thought each time I was in the OU section but was wrong...

olevetonahill
1/9/2009, 07:48 PM
Exactly, go sit in the middle of a Florida section or an LSU section or a Miami section in one of those games and you will have a different perspective...I know, get better tickets, I thought each time I was in the OU section but was wrong...

Aint you got a Para legal to Research that **** ? :P

Soonerus
1/9/2009, 07:50 PM
Aint you got a Para legal to Research that **** ? :P

I think a lot of OU fans thought they were in the OU sections last night only to find them overrun with Florida fans in their section... I do not know how it happened...

bri
1/9/2009, 08:22 PM
Since I was at Miami in '88 (Miami),Miami in '01 (FSU), New Orleans in '03 (LSU) and now Miami in '09 (Florida) I reserve the right to bitch about these home games for our National Championship opponent.

And we reserve the right to be sick and tired of your self-absorbed crying.

jkjsooner
1/9/2009, 09:59 PM
This goes back all the way to 1988.

87/88 - Miami on their home field
88 bball - Kansas in Kansas City
00/01 - FSU in Miami
03/04 - LSU in New Orleans
08/09 - Florida in Miami

I didn't get the impression it had any impact on the game.
(The Sugar Bowl definitely impacted that game.) In either case, we just have crummy luck.

I'm sure we'll play USC in the Rose Bowl stadium next year.

OklahomaRed
1/10/2009, 02:04 AM
I do think the crowd noise Thursday night did effect some of the timing and the ability to change the play in the "hurry up" offense. I don't know if that effected Bradford or not, but it did play a part. It WAS a HOME game for the Gators, plain & simple. It would basicaly be the same as having the BCS game in OKC or Tulsa. Just saying. :D

PLaw
1/10/2009, 07:33 AM
...that are essentially home games for our opponent....I was at the game last night in Miami and if anybody says it was anything other than an 80% pro-Florida crowd they weren't there...I thought our guys played well in another very hostile environment.

Yeah, but it is what it is.

Remember the OB's against Miami and FSU in the 80's? It's nothing new.

bri
1/10/2009, 02:29 PM
I'm sure we'll play USC in the Rose Bowl stadium next year.

Dude, I pray we're that lucky.

SoonerShark
1/10/2009, 03:16 PM
UT has 13 or so Cotton Bowl wins, one Alamo Bowl win, three Bluebonnet Bowl wins, and two Sun Bowl wins padding its all-time bowl record. USC has 24 hometown bowl wins padding its 31 game bowl win record. We need to play games in the Taft Stadium Bowl in Oklahoma City. Heck, we can play a major bowl game in Tulsa or Stillwater so we don't have a true home field advantage.

SoonerShark
1/10/2009, 03:22 PM
The Cotton Bowl in 2002 was sort of a home game except that we played Arkansas, a team that was almost as close. People from Arkansas had insulting things written on their vehicles calling us Mobilehoma. Of course, in Arkansas, isn't a mobile home a step up? It may have been a compliment in their eyes now that I think about it.

SoonerShark
1/11/2009, 12:43 AM
Next year USC won't even field a team. It will just be declared the undefeated national championship opponent to UF and the Rose Bowl will just be used as a tribute to Pete Carrol. Tebow will be crucified in the actual Rose Bowl but raise from the dead to play in the championship game seven days later. To know him and be in his presence for only five minutes changes you for life. I can feel something welling up in my stomach and preparing to be projected from my mouth right now. I wonder if Jesus would look at an opposing player whose team was down by 10 points with only a minute or so left on the clock and do something like a gator chomp sign at them? Maybe if I could read and understand the biblical scriptures in the original language something about that would be in the scrolls. "He shall come as a giant reptile with many teeth crawling from the swamps of babylon and the masses shall proclaim him the foundation of our redemption." But here's where it gets weird as it goes on: "And he shall lay with his mother and be known as a spiritual mother_____ cause his seed shall not stray from the nest. And the Tebow proclaims 'that was good gator' " And the people shall exlaim, "Amen!"

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2009, 01:38 AM
Just some facts:

USC has played in 46 bowl games. Of those games, they have played 35 in Pasadena (22 miles from campus) or Anaheim (24 miles from Campus).

That's right: 35!

Here is the entirety of all bowl games that USC has played where they had to travel more than 25 miles to the stadium:

1975--USC 20, Texas A&M 0 (Liberty Bowl)
1977--USC 47, Texas A&M 28 (Bluebonnet Bowl)
1982--Penn State 26, USC 10 (Fiesta Bowl)
1985--Alabama 24, USC 3 (Aloha Bowl)
1987--Auburn 16, USC 7 (Florida Citrus Bowl)
1990--Michigan State 17, USC 16 (John Hancock Bowl)
1995--USC 55, Texas Tech 14 (Cotton Bowl)
1998--TCU 28, USC 19 (Sun Bowl)
2001--Utah 10, USC 6 (Las Vegas Bowl)
2003--USC 38, Iowa 17 (Orange Bowl)
2005--USC 55, Oklahoma 19 (Orange Bowl, BCS Championship)

Overall, USC has a 5-6 record when playing a bowl game "on the road."

How about Texas? They have played 32 of their bowl games in their home state.

In contrast, Oklahoma has only played in one bowl game where they would be considered to have a reasonable home field advantage (the Cotton Bowl against Arkansas). On the other hand, the Sooners have played 13 of their bowl games in their opponent's home state.

That's one out of every three.

badger
1/11/2009, 10:50 AM
It's been an awful week, but at least there's two top-six OU basketball teams to fall back on.

All issues discussed here probably show why there needs to be more than 10 percent (or whatever the mandatory allotment is per-team) of the tickets going to a championship game team's fans. If there's a larger allotment, there's a better chance of fans of the same school sitting together, less chance of crowd incidents happening between opposing school fans and it's a better environment for those in attendance. I'd say 40-45 percent per team would be better. It's a championship game, so there's no issue of if the tickets would sell, like there might be in another BCS game.

1890MilesToNorman
1/11/2009, 11:01 AM
There are no bowl games in OK so we will always have to travel, that's the way it is and always has been. OU has been traveling to bowl games for decades and I never heard any complaints until the Interweb breathed it's first breath.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2009, 02:33 PM
There are no bowl games in OK so we will always have to travel, that's the way it is and always has been. OU has been traveling to bowl games for decades and I never heard any complaints until the Interweb breathed it's first breath.

I think the question is simple: Is there such a thing as a home field advantage in college football?

If no, then Texas has less excuse for losing to Tech and our beatdown of Tech is even more impressive.