PDA

View Full Version : At least we can't blame this one on Brent Venables.

KingBarry
1/9/2009, 11:49 AM
No-way, no-how. That was a brilliant defensive effort put up against top-notch competition.

What else have we learned?

We've learned that the SEC does have faster, bigger and stronger players than the Big XII.

We've learned that almost always playing our national title games in the opponent's backyard is teh suck.

All of college football has learned, finally, how to stop the spred. And that is to have fast, physical players who can close the gaps in coverage.

Boomer.....
1/9/2009, 11:52 AM
We did struggle on 3rd downs but the defense did play great. BV definitely had those players coached up.

OUMonster
1/9/2009, 11:53 AM
Gotta give the defense credit for stepping up big time. Very proud of how they played overall despite a few breakdowns. Hopefully a year of experience for this relatively young roster on that side of the ball will get us back to having an elite defense next year.

BoulderSooner79
1/9/2009, 11:53 AM
I agree it was a great defensive effort. I never saw another team slow down the gators as much in the 2nd half of the season.

I disagree about the players. I thought we matched up well. Harvin is a great player in any conference, but I think DM could have matched him in big plays.

GreenSooner
1/9/2009, 11:57 AM
I, too, think it's important to acknowledge what a terrific job the defense did in this game...and in fact in just about every game since Texass. Even using some untested replacements for injured players, Venables has done a great job during the second half of this season.

1890MilesToNorman
1/9/2009, 11:57 AM
Sub-par performance by Kevin Wilson last night. I'm still scratching my head over the plan and play calling.

D was great!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/9/2009, 11:58 AM
The Defense played GREAT!!!!!!

UF having Harvin and OU not having Murray was the biggest difference IMO.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/9/2009, 12:39 PM
Then why did he call off the dogs after halftime?

The first half was a highlight reel of zone blitz, speed, flood blitzes, beautiful safety play, and inspired DL performance.

The second half was a watered down version of the first. Apparently in anticipation of adjustments from first half play and the stellar DL work, Venables fell back into trying to generate pressure through hard slants and stunts to free up coverage. The kicker is, everyone knows how to beat a Cover 2 when all you got is a Cover 2. Bring a Cover 2 with pressure, or give that look on the deep third and work your safety up to allow that linebacker to come, and your defense is a force.

Not that they didn't bring help in the 2nd half, but not nearly at the pace they did in the first. It was that pace that kept it a 7-7 ballgame. It was that pace that was generating false starts and some serious pops in Jesus' brother QB Tesus' mouth. It was that pace that generated 2 interceptions, denied the option (regardless of what those homos on TV said about the option beating the blitz, don't know where the hell they got that from), and allowed the defense to dictate what the opposing offense did. THAT'S when you know you're on the mark defensively, and that's why Mike Stoops preached that very thing.

Credit due to the boys. They played balls out. And Venables coached up a whale of a game until he started to steer away from dictating, mandating 3 step drops, crossing routes, high percentage balls to the flat and a steady diet of crimson upside Teblow's jaw. Maybe it was because four quarters of that style of football wasn't an option for the boys, stamina-wise. Maybe he saw something that made him think he could get the same penetration from the front four alone. Maybe he was afraid if he kept up the stank, he wouldn't go to heaven on the blessing of Saint Tim. I dunno.

It's curious to say the least.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2009, 12:43 PM

The first half was a highlight reel of zone blitz, speed, flood blitzes, beautiful safety play, and inspired DL performance.

The second half was a watered down version of the first. Apparently in anticipation of adjustments from first half play and the stellar DL work, Venables fell back into trying to generate pressure through hard slants and stunts to free up coverage. The kicker is, everyone knows how to beat a Cover 2 when all you got is a Cover 2. Bring a Cover 2 with pressure, or give that look on the deep third and work your safety up to allow that linebacker to come, and your defense is a force.

Not that they didn't bring help in the 2nd half, but not nearly at the pace they did in the first. It was that pace that kept it a 7-7 ballgame. It was that pace that was generating false starts and some serious pops in Jesus' brother QB Tesus' mouth. It was that pace that generated 2 interceptions, denied the option (regardless of what those homos on TV said about the option beating the blitz, don't know where the hell they got that from), and allowed the defense to dictate what the opposing offense did. THAT'S when you know you're on the mark defensively, and that's why Mike Stoops preached that very thing.

Credit due to the boys. They played balls out. And Venables coached up a whale of a game until he started to steer away from dictating, mandating 3 step drops, crossing routes, high percentage balls to the flat and a steady diet of crimson upside Teblow's jaw. Maybe it was because four quarters of that style of football wasn't an option for the boys, stamina-wise. Maybe he saw something that made him think he could get the same penetration from the front four alone. Maybe he was afraid if he kept up the stank, he wouldn't go to heaven on the blessing of Saint Tim. I dunno.

because the defensive line was spent from little to no rotation in the 1st half (thus the impressive play). it was a gambler's gameplan that had we not gotten cute in the red zone would have worked. i do think our new game prep worked incredibly well for the defense, not so much for our OL. they may need to tweak that for next year and have the OL hit people.

BigRedJed
1/9/2009, 01:04 PM
What O-line? They're all leaving.

OUMedMan
1/9/2009, 01:17 PM
Sorry folks, but that was not a "great defensive effort" by the Sooners last night.

Florida came in the game averaging 445 yards a game.

Oklahoma held them to 480 yards of offense!!

Florida had both more yards rushing (249) and yards passing (231) then they averaged during the season rushing (231) and passing (214).

If you want to award the "great defensive effort" award, it would go to the Gator defense who held the Sooners to 363 yards -- nearly 200 yards less than they averaged against the rest of their schedule (561).

Circle City Gator
1/9/2009, 01:26 PM

Percy Harvin said in an interview this morning that the blitz did a great job of taking away the outside run and the option, but that Florida adjusted by moving between the tackles with the RBs, Tebow, and the shovel pass, and that took away most of the blitz package. I'm not sure Venables did a bad job there. In fact, I think he did a great job. This game did not come down to your defense. It did everything necessary to win. It came down to Florida's DBs on your wideouts.

olevetonahill
1/9/2009, 01:26 PM
Sorry folks, but that was not a "great defensive effort" by the Sooners last night.

Florida had both more yards rushing (249) and yards passing (231) then they averaged during the season rushing (231) and passing (214).

If you want to award the "great defensive effort" award, it would go to the Gator defense who held the Sooners to 363 yards -- nearly 200 yards less than they averaged against the rest of their schedule (561).

You Liked Flapin yer Lips with this Crap so Much . You Done went and Started a thread about it :rolleyes:

Nof49 Sooner
1/9/2009, 01:59 PM
Yes the defense played their best game of the season. But I'm still going to fault BV for one thing, which has been a problem with OU for years. We didn't adjust to what they were doing in the 2nd half. This is why Florida won the game. They made an adjustment at halftime and we didn't.

When Florida went to that triple option with Harvin and the TE, we had no answer. It was clear they weren't going to put the ball in the air as much with the lead, yet BV still kept bringing corner blitzes and stunts and they ran right thru the gaps that were left.

OU...the school known for the option once upon a time, got beat by a team that ran the option right down our throat. The irony stings a bit.

BigGobbler
1/9/2009, 02:02 PM

The D held Florida to 24 points.... they average close to 45. How is that bad? Who cares how many yards they gave up. Offense has to produce at some point. If someone would have told me prior to kick off, that Florida would end up with 24 points, I would have been estatic. Props to BV and the D.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2009, 02:23 PM
When Florida went to that triple option with Harvin and the TE, we had no answer. It was clear they weren't going to put the ball in the air as much with the lead, yet BV still kept bringing corner blitzes and stunts and they ran right thru the gaps that were left.

you do remember that 30 yard pass play on their last score right? heck before that drive most of their yards were off of QB scrambles. i said before the game that our weakness on D is that our DL can't be disciplined in their pass rush - they have repeatedly overextended and left tons of real estate on one side of the field. the question was whether tebow had the footspeed to take advantage of it and he did. there were times when alexander and mccoy got out of their lanes when i couldn't see a sooner jersey on the television screen. how is tebow not going to get yards on that?

OUMedMan
1/9/2009, 02:53 PM
The D held Florida to 24 points.... they average close to 45. How is that bad? Who cares how many yards they gave up. Offense has to produce at some point. If someone would have told me prior to kick off, that Florida would end up with 24 points, I would have been estatic. Props to BV and the D.

Here's how it's "bad". . . . . . . .

Oklahoma only scored 14 points.

Why was that?

What was the time of possession last night?

Florida had the ball 35 minutes, Oklahoma had it 25 minutes.

And while OU's D relatively kept Florida out of the end zone, it didn't keep Florida's offense off the field. . . . . . . .which meant that OU's offense didn't get on the field. And while Sam Bradford is a great player, he doesn't do well at all while he's on the sideline watching Tim Teboe keep gaining yards up the middle for the Gators.

480 yards of offense for Florida. . . . .more than what Texas gained against OU (438). But it's almost as much as offense as USC had against OU in the game of infamy, which was about 525 yards.

Oklahoma's D is what lost the game for the Sooners.

Collier11
1/9/2009, 02:58 PM
No-way, no-how. That was a brilliant defensive effort put up against top-notch competition.

I agree completely except that we couldnt get off the field on 3rd and long

We've learned that the SEC does have faster, bigger and stronger players than the Big XII.
BS! We went blow for blow with the supposedly bigger, faster, and stronger SEC and should have won except for offensive execution and playcalling. Maybe as a whole but not OU vs any SEC team

We've learned that almost always playing our national title games in the opponent's backyard is teh suck.
sucks but what can you do, bad luck of the draw

All of college football has learned, finally, how to stop the spred. And that is to have fast, physical players who can close the gaps in coverage.

FWIW, texas would have been mud-stomped without an effective run game. They should thank us for winning the Big 12

toast
1/9/2009, 03:11 PM

Why was that?

And while OU's D relatively kept Florida out of the end zone, it didn't keep Florida's offense off the field. . . . . . . .which meant that OU's offense didn't get on the field. And while Sam Bradford is a great player, he doesn't do well at all while he's on the sideline watching Tim Teboe keep gaining yards up the middle for the Gators.

480 yards of offense for Florida. . . . .more than what Texas gained against OU (438). But it's almost as much as offense as USC had against OU in the game of infamy, which was about 525 yards.

how are you related to kevin wilson?

BoulderSooner79
1/9/2009, 03:18 PM

Why was that?

You watched a different game than I did - the one I saw was on Fox. The game I saw, the defense gave the ball to the offense on critical stops and 2 turnover (1 inside the UF 30). The offense didn't score, but the D did it's jobs. The TOP only got lopsided in the 4th and they don't give the trophy based on TOP, just the scoreboard.

The defense did it's job and so did special teams. It hurt that the most reliable unit came up short. Sure the UF defense was very good, but we had our chances and didn't capitalize. That's what wins the big games.

olevetonahill
1/9/2009, 03:25 PM

Why was that?

480 Yards , 480 Yards dude Yer sounding Like a ****ing :texan:
Neutral Field , Neutral Field . :rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/9/2009, 11:14 PM
Learned something new to day, it the defenses responsibility to keep their offense from going 3 and out

Soonerman08
1/10/2009, 12:43 AM

OU's defense may have given up 480 yards but they gave up 24 legitimate points. Whereas OU may have had 363 yards but had the opportunity to score 28 points thanks to two interceptions BY THE DEFENSE! How did the defense not play well again????

Soonerman08
1/10/2009, 12:47 AM

Why was that?

OU's lack of offensive execution is what cost OU the NC, hardly their defense. Did you even watch the game???? When it is 4th and 1 at the Goal Line and you can't punch the ball in then you're not going to win. Call me crazy, but you know.

Sabanball
1/10/2009, 12:59 AM
Why not? Up until now you all have blamed him for practically everything including the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and the Nazi holocaust.;)

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 01:29 AM
Out of all the assorted bs in this thread the one that stands out is anyone claiming that florida beat us with superior speed. OUr guys were just as fast as those guys on the field.

Collier11
1/10/2009, 03:04 AM
MK sure would have helped, Iglesias and MJ were overmatched...too bad MK was selfish and cost himself so much money

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2009, 11:55 AM
During all those Heisman debates, the media would always talk about Sam being surrounded by more talent than the other guys. But I don't think any of our WRs are locks to play at the next level. Iglesias doesn't look fast enough and MJ hasn't been the same since the injury. The pros will probably take a look at Chaney because of his size, but he couldn't get on the field for us very much. I do agree Sam had some talented help on the line and at TE :)