PDA

View Full Version : The Next 7 Days . . .

KingDavid
1/9/2009, 11:22 AM
. . . are monumentally important for the future of the OU football program for the next decade, in my opinion.

And it all depends on Sam Bradford.

It's not just a question of if he decides to leave or stay. The real question is what type of leader will he choose to become if he does stay.

It is no longer enough to be a leader in the classroom, the weight room, on the stat sheet, or at the Heisman trophy ceremony. What we need is for Sam to become the type of leader that takes control of a game and LIGHTS A FIRE in the hearts of his team-mates. It's the next and final step in his Jedi training before launching towards the Star Wars at the next level.

In the next seven days - or more than likely, in the next two or three days - Sam will be making this decision in his heart. If he chooses to take this pivotal next step in his own journey, then his first order of business will be to do everything in his power to hold the nucleus of this team together and inspire them to start working RIGHT NOW towards the goal of winning the title next year.

I'm confident that Sam is up to the task if he chooses to accept that challenge. But if he doesn't, it's hard for me to see a way that the OU program doesn't suffer from some serious morale problems over the next 3-10 years. Losing 5 straight BCS Bowls is not a trivial matter.

Now is the time for Sam Bradford to step forward, take hold of the leadership mantle, and become the next great legend of not just OU football, but college football.

Cam
1/9/2009, 11:39 AM
WTF?

Everybody leads in different ways. Everybody gets motivated in different ways.

If you're trying to lay last night's loss at Sam's feet, you're going to fail miserably.

Sam did one hell of a job leading the team all freaking year long.

KingDavid
1/9/2009, 11:49 AM
WTF?

Everybody leads in different ways. Everybody gets motivated in different ways.

If you're trying to lay last night's loss at Sam's feet, you're going to fail miserably.

Sam did one hell of a job leading the team all freaking year long.

Not trying to lay last night's loss at Sam's feet at all. Not in the slightest.

I agree completely with your praise of him.

This is about going forward and getting better . . . for Sam . . . and for our program.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/9/2009, 11:54 AM
Sam didn't lose this game, but he definitely didn't win it either.

Cam
1/9/2009, 11:59 AM
Unless you're one of the guys in the huddle, you're not going to know what type of leader he is. Some people can lead with just a look, they don't need to flail about like their hair's on fire.

The guy was a Captain as a RS Soph for a reason. Maybe, just maybe, there needs to be others who are willing to step up and lead as well.

Cam
1/9/2009, 12:00 PM
Sam didn't lose this game, but he definitely didn't win it either.

So he's supposed to catch the passes that he throws now as well?

swardboy
1/9/2009, 12:25 PM
I've got no problems with Sam. But if he stays, the ex-QB in me would sure like to see him with audible powers. Nothing would elevate his "leadership" status more. I'm sick and tired of seeing the waste of time getting plays called in. With Sam making that call, defenses will be even more off-balance. As it is D's have plenty of time to shift, negating the value of the play called in. Not to mention how it will ready him for the pro game.

KingDavid
1/9/2009, 12:38 PM
Unless you're one of the guys in the huddle, you're not going to know what type of leader he is. Some people can lead with just a look, they don't need to flail about like their hair's on fire.

The guy was a Captain as a RS Soph for a reason. Maybe, just maybe, there needs to be others who are willing to step up and lead as well.

Of course everyone leads in their own way. I certainly don't expect (or want) Sam to try to lead with any other style than his own.

But here's the deal, Uber Dad: you are completely missing the point of my post.

In my opinion, the fact that we have had such a long run of poor showings in the BCS championships leads me to believe that the near-term prospects for the Sooner program are in doubt. The Schooner is in danger of rolling down the hill into a valley for what could be a lengthy period of time. Something special needs to happen, in my opinion, to stop that momentum and swing it back in the right direction. Something special.

Sure, there are lots of people who need to step up and lead. But there are times when ONE leader is in a position to call the OTHER leaders forward in a special, highly effective way. All I am saying is that there is no one as capable and uniquely positioned to do so, to step into a potentially dire situation and turn it around, as Sam Bradford. He's the one, more so than any other, who can stare into the eyeballs of his team-mates (and perhaps even his coaches) and say, "I'm all in. Are you? I'm working harder than ever, starting right now. Are you? We can do this. We WILL do this. I WILL MAKE us do this. Are you with me?"

All I am saying is that the stars are aligned for Sam Bradford to become more than just the phenomenal player, leader, athlete, and over-achiever he already is. He can become a legend.

You sound like a big Bradford fan. So am I. If you would step back from your defensiveness, you would realize that this is not a criticism of Bradford, AT ALL. It is, in fact, a praise. I'm putting him ahead of his own head football coach, in fact, in term of his ability to influence the course of this program for the next several years and beyond.

So, I ask you, if it's not Sam who'll be the match that lights this fire . . . then who will it be?

KingDavid
1/9/2009, 12:44 PM
I've got no problems with Sam. But if he stays, the ex-QB in me would sure like to see him with audible powers. Nothing would elevate his "leadership" status more. I'm sick and tired of seeing the waste of time getting plays called in. With Sam making that call, defenses will be even more off-balance. As it is D's have plenty of time to shift, negating the value of the play called in. Not to mention how it will ready him for the pro game.

Exactly. Spot on!

This is a very practical way that Sam's next steps in leadership will play out, if he accepts the call. Sam's not the kind of guy this going to hold a press conference and tell everyone that he's going to lead the team back for another title (see Tim Tebow after Ole Miss).

Sam IS the kind of leader who will announce those intentions to himself, his family, his team-mates, and his coaches. And he IS ALSO the type of guy who will, if he wants to, step into Coach Wilson's office and say, "I'm going to call the offense from the field next year - and you need to get me ready for it."

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 12:49 PM
. . . are monumentally important for the future of the OU football program for the next decade, in my opinion.

And it all depends on Sam Bradford.

It's not just a question of if he decides to leave or stay. The real question is what type of leader will he choose to become if he does stay.

It is no longer enough to be a leader in the classroom, the weight room, on the stat sheet, or at the Heisman trophy ceremony. What we need is for Sam to become the type of leader that takes control of a game and LIGHTS A FIRE in the hearts of his team-mates. It's the next and final step in his Jedi training before launching towards the Star Wars at the next level.

In the next seven days - or more than likely, in the next two or three days - Sam will be making this decision in his heart. If he chooses to take this pivotal next step in his own journey, then his first order of business will be to do everything in his power to hold the nucleus of this team together and inspire them to start working RIGHT NOW towards the goal of winning the title next year.

I'm confident that Sam is up to the task if he chooses to accept that challenge. But if he doesn't, it's hard for me to see a way that the OU program doesn't suffer from some serious morale problems over the next 3-10 years. Losing 5 straight BCS Bowls is not a trivial matter.

Now is the time for Sam Bradford to step forward, take hold of the leadership mantle, and become the next great legend of not just OU football, but college football.

Are you asking Sam to scream like a maniac?

GreenSooner
1/9/2009, 01:00 PM
Are you asking Sam to scream like a maniac?

Maybe if he hung out with lepers or got a few more unsportsmanlike conduct penalties he'd get the job done! ;)

KingDavid
1/9/2009, 01:07 PM
Of course everyone leads in their own way. I certainly don't expect (or want) Sam to try to lead with any other style than his own.

In my opinion, the fact that we have had such a long run of poor showings in the BCS championships leads me to believe that the near-term prospects for the Sooner program are in doubt. The Schooner is in danger of rolling down the hill into a valley for what could be a lengthy period of time. Something special needs to happen, in my opinion, to stop that momentum and swing it back in the right direction. Something special.

Sure, there are lots of people who need to step up and lead. But there are times when ONE leader is in a position to call the OTHER leaders forward in a special, highly effective way. All I am saying is that there is no one as capable and uniquely positioned to do so, to step into a potentially dire situation and turn it around, as Sam Bradford. He's the one, more so than any other, who can stare into the eyeballs of his team-mates (and perhaps even his coaches) and say, "I'm all in. Are you? I'm working harder than ever, starting right now. Are you? We can do this. We WILL do this. I WILL MAKE us do this. Are you with me?"

All I am saying is that the stars are aligned for Sam Bradford to become more than just the phenomenal player, leader, athlete, and over-achiever he already is. He can become a legend.

You sound like a big Bradford fan. So am I. If you would step back from your defensiveness, you would realize that this is not a criticism of Bradford, AT ALL. It is, in fact, a praise. I'm putting him ahead of his own head football coach, in fact, in term of his ability to influence the course of this program for the next several years and beyond.

So, I ask you, if it's not Sam who'll be the match that lights this fire . . . then who will it be?

Still waiting . . . Cam?

Jack T.
1/9/2009, 01:17 PM
And he IS ALSO the type of guy who will, if he wants to, step into Coach Wilson's office and say, "I'm going to call the offense from the field next year - and you need to get me ready for it."

From your lips to God's ears.

KingDavid
1/9/2009, 01:40 PM
From your lips to God's ears.

We can only hope.

Cam
1/9/2009, 08:22 PM
Still waiting . . . Cam?

My apologies. I don't spend my every waking moment here.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me.

I don't believe I'm the only one.

Again, it sounds like you're trying to make Sam into something that he is not.

He won the Heisman, he's already a legend at OU. He'll have the statue to prove it.

You think I'm being defensive? That's funny. I think you've got a little into the sky is falling mode.

Why can't it be somebody like Travis Lewis, maybe McCoy, Alexander, or Gresham? Those guys are and have always been much more vocal than Sam has evar been.

AlbqSooner
1/9/2009, 09:21 PM
Bud Wilkinson led his players and assistants very effectively.
Barry Switzer led his players and assistants very effectively.

Their styles could not have been more different.

I like Sam and his style.
I do NOT like Tebow and his style.

007sooner
1/10/2009, 03:34 PM
I like Sam and his style.
I do NOT like Tebow and his style.

I'll take a quiet, smart kid who believes that everything great happening to him is "unreal" over a highly emotional, ostentatiously religious, unsportsman-like kid who lets the media hand him a serious self-aggrandizing complex.

Sam staying and calling his own plays next year really would be amazing to watch. Imagine Sam running the hurry-up offense against Florida without checking with the sideline for a few plays each drive - they would have demolished em. My favorite drive was the first touchdown where the ball was snapped when the defense had just barely lined up. Beautiful.

KingDavid
1/12/2009, 02:43 AM
Cam,

I'm obviously doing a poor job of communicating my meaning here. I simply am saying that Sam has a unique opportunity to do something extraordinary (even for Sam) for the OU program in the next few days. It's just a gut feeling.

If you think what I am talking about is simply a matter of being vocal, or that its something that McCoy, Gresham, Lewis, or Alexander could do, then there's just no way you can be understanding what I'm talking about.

Perhaps mistakenly, I am placing Sam in a wholly different category from those fine young players, or any others that I can think of in the last 20 years, in fact, with perhaps the exception of AD. I'm also assessing (again, perhaps mistakenly) the present situation of our program as being particularly precarious. It is the confluence of these two factors - who Sam is intersecting with where we are - that is providing such a unique opportunity.

Call me crazy, but it's just my gut feel for where we are as a program right now. I realize there's potentially some over-dramatization, here.

TXBOOMER
1/12/2009, 08:36 AM
I think Sam is a great leader. Everyone on the team looks up to the guy from what they say to the media. I don't think I've ever heard Stoops compliment a player on their competitiveness as much as he has Sam. I just hope he is around here to keep on leading for at least another year.

tbl
1/12/2009, 08:44 AM
Seriously dude... You're asking Sam to be Tebow, period... and he is NOT Tebow. I've seen interviews with the guys and Sam is a great leader on the offense. Sure he's not up in the face of the defense or special teams, but I don't care what ANYBODY says, when Tebow does that, the players hate it. During that Bama game when he ran up in the special teams huddle they all ignored him and the coaches were pulling him out of there, leaving not one single ST player inspired or pumped up at all. If anything, they can't stand it when he does that crap and are running on anger.

KingDavid
1/12/2009, 04:09 PM
Seriously dude... You're asking Sam to be The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah, period.

Messiah, perhaps yes. The Tim Tebow version of The Messiah, hell no.

In order to appreciate what I'm about to say, you'll need to set aside your visceral reaction to Tim Tebow as a public figure or "personality" and focus on his unique impact on the Florida football program. If you are steeped in hatred for Tebow, there's just no way what I am about to say will be discernable to you, so don't even bother reading this. Move along.

For the rest of you, let's consider the player who wears #15 for the Florida Gators.

About this time four years ago Urban Meyer was hot on the recruiting trail seeking to land what he deemed to be "the ultimate football recruiting prize,": one young quarterback in Florida by the name of Tim Tebow. On one particular evening as signing day approached, he turned to one of his assistants and said, "if we don't get this kid, it will set the Florida football program back ten years." Read that again: Urban Meyer said that if Florida didn't secure the services of this one High School recruit, it would set the Florida football program back a whole decade.

When I first read that, my initial reaction was incredulous: WTF? How in the world could a reasonable head coach of a major college football team possibly say something like that? What in the world could he possibly mean by it? Ten years? The whole program? How do you even quantify something like that in terms of time? Or impact on a major college football program? One recruit? You've got to be kidding.

But now the results are in: after his third year, #15 has corralled two SEC titles and tripled the number of national championships for his school. Coach Meyer obviously saw something unique at work - something that had to do with the time, the team, the player himself, and perhaps a confluence of a host of other factors to which only a head coach is privy - that led him to say what he did. And even though I still have a difficult time comprehending what Meyer said about this kid as a recruit; nevertheless, at this point, it seems reasonable to give him the benefit of the doubt. It is difficult to argue against the fact that #15 presence in the Florida program has accelerated the progress of the Florida program by leaps and bounds. It took Texas three decades to go from two to three national championships. It took Florida only two years. And the kid isn't even done yet . . .

It is as if Urban Meyer were a master chemist who understood the Florida Gators program as if it were a particular concoction of elements to which Tim Tebow, if added, would do something radical: it would warp time.

As I look at the landscape of where we are as a program, I personally believe that we could be looking at a considerable road ahead of us to re-establish certain aspects of our credibility in the minds of many doubters - doubters that matter (like future recruits or family and friends/peers). The reputation of our program has taken a hit. For perhaps an inumerable list of reasons, I happen to believe that for OUR program, at THIS time, with THIS team, in THIS state of affairs, Sam Bradford returning is the ingredient that can warp time for the OU program and speed us down a road of recovery that otherwise might take a decade or more.

So, yes, I suppose I am asking Sam to be The Messiah, in a way. But I'm NOT asking him to be Tim Tebow. And that's not because I don't admire Tebow as a player. It's quite simple: it just wouldn't work. Not with this program. This coach. This team. This EVERYTHING. The chemistry wouldn't be right.

It needs to be Sam.

Just one man's opinion.

achiro
1/12/2009, 04:32 PM
I really don't get this thread. It's college football. One of the great parts of college football is this changes that occur when players come and go. If Sam decides to leave it wil be interesting(fun maybe) seeing who has to step up and make plays. Guess what, THIS IS OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL, someone is gonna step in and step up.

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2009, 05:30 PM
As long as Stoops is the HC, we will compete for championships & even win some occasionally.

If you saw the Stoops on TV that I saw in the last seconds of the BCS championship, then you would know that we will be back.

KingDavid
1/12/2009, 07:06 PM
If Sam decides to leave it wil be interesting(fun maybe) seeing who has to step up and make plays.

It depends on what you call fun. 2005 was kind of fun, I suppose, in terms of watching players develop over the course of the year.

If Sam leaves, we are going to have a hard time putting together much offense, IMO. We might still compete on the strength of our D. But I'd bet we'd end up in the Holiday Bowl before I'd put us back in the NC game. Without Sam, that is.

If Sam stays, and others follow his lead as they likely will, then I think it's a toss-up between us and Texas: whoever wins that game will play for the all the marbles.

delhalew
1/12/2009, 08:21 PM
Messiah, perhaps yes. The The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah version of The Messiah, hell no.

In order to appreciate what I'm about to say, you'll need to set aside your visceral reaction to The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah as a public figure or "personality" and focus on his unique impact on the Florida football program. If you are steeped in hatred for The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah, there's just no way what I am about to say will be discernable to you, so don't even bother reading this. Move along.

For the rest of you, let's consider the player who wears #15 for the Florida Gators.

About this time four years ago Urban Meyer was hot on the recruiting trail seeking to land what he deemed to be "the ultimate football recruiting prize,": one young quarterback in Florida by the name of The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah. On one particular evening as signing day approached, he turned to one of his assistants and said, "if we don't get this kid, it will set the Florida football program back ten years." Read that again: Urban Meyer said that if Florida didn't secure the services of this one High School recruit, it would set the Florida football program back a whole decade.

When I first read that, my initial reaction was incredulous: WTF? How in the world could a reasonable head coach of a major college football team possibly say something like that? What in the world could he possibly mean by it? Ten years? The whole program? How do you even quantify something like that in terms of time? Or impact on a major college football program? One recruit? You've got to be kidding.

But now the results are in: after his third year, #15 has corralled two SEC titles and tripled the number of national championships for his school. Coach Meyer obviously saw something unique at work - something that had to do with the time, the team, the player himself, and perhaps a confluence of a host of other factors to which only a head coach is privy - that led him to say what he did. And even though I still have a difficult time comprehending what Meyer said about this kid as a recruit; nevertheless, at this point, it seems reasonable to give him the benefit of the doubt. It is difficult to argue against the fact that #15 presence in the Florida program has accelerated the progress of the Florida program by leaps and bounds. It took Texas three decades to go from two to three national championships. It took Florida only two years. And the kid isn't even done yet . . .

It is as if Urban Meyer were a master chemist who understood the Florida Gators program as if it were a particular concoction of elements to which The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah, if added, would do something radical: it would warp time.

As I look at the landscape of where we are as a program, I personally believe that we could be looking at a considerable road ahead of us to re-establish certain aspects of our credibility in the minds of many doubters - doubters that matter (like future recruits or family and friends/peers). The reputation of our program has taken a hit. For perhaps an inumerable list of reasons, I happen to believe that for OUR program, at THIS time, with THIS team, in THIS state of affairs, Sam Bradford returning is the ingredient that can warp time for the OU program and speed us down a road of recovery that otherwise might take a decade or more.

So, yes, I suppose I am asking Sam to be The Messiah, in a way. But I'm NOT asking him to be The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah. And that's not because I don't admire The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah as a player. It's quite simple: it just wouldn't work. Not with this program. This coach. This team. This EVERYTHING. The chemistry wouldn't be right.

It needs to be Sam.

Just one man's opinion.

Wow. Well I understood you on your first post. I also agree. As incredible as Sam is I see him as a kid. If he were to come back as a man the possibilities are endless. For me Tebow doesn't belong in this conversation.

achiro
1/12/2009, 10:23 PM
It depends on what you call fun. 2005 was kind of fun, I suppose, in terms of watching players develop over the course of the year.

If Sam leaves, we are going to have a hard time putting together much offense, IMO. We might still compete on the strength of our D. But I'd bet we'd end up in the Holiday Bowl before I'd put us back in the NC game. Without Sam, that is.

If Sam stays, and others follow his lead as they likely will, then I think it's a toss-up between us and Texas: whoever wins that game will play for the all the marbles.

Ok, I agree with what you'say here but to say that Sam leaving will put the program in a hole for years to come is just assinine IMHO.

rainiersooner
1/12/2009, 10:41 PM
Our defense is peaking a year after our offense peaked. There is every reason to believe that even with Sam leaving we could be as good OVERALL next year as we were this year. If Sam stays, I think we will be BETTER OVERALL; but I don't think we will be worse without him...certainly not ten years down the hole, repeat the 90s bad.

KingDavid
1/14/2009, 04:36 AM
Ok, I agree with what you'say here but to say that Sam leaving will put the program in a hole for years to come is just assinine IMHO.

I'm not saying that Sam leaving will put the OU program in a hole for years to come. That would be unfair to Sam. I AM saying that by staying he is capable, more than any other player, of keeping us out of one. It's a subtle distinction that hinges on a person's belief about where our program could be headed over the next few years.

The question of whether we are headed into any sort of "down-period" is certainly worthy of debate. I'm willing to concede that I am overstating the impact of these losses on our program. Truth be told, I'd actually PREFER to concede that. I live most of my life with crimson-colored glasses glued firmly to my nose. Check my post history and you'll see it loud and clear. Every year I find a way to convince myself how and why we're going to win it all. And even if Sam leaves, trust me when I say this: I'll find a way to do it again. It's part of my DNA.

But here I find myself in a rare and decidedly uncomfortable moment of what I believe others have referred to as . . . objectivity. Maybe it's just temporary insanity? Anyway, I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt for at least this one final post on this subject, and then I'm done and it's back to a crimson colored universe.

It seems to me that many of us would prefer to discount the impact of our consecutive poor showings in BCS games, BCS championships in particular.

Our victory in 2000 made a phenomenal impact on our program - it brought us back into the national spotlight immediately. Perhaps more so than in any other category, it impacted recruiting. Bottom line: it mattered. No one would argue against this point.

But the knife cuts both ways, doesn't it? The losses must matter, too. Especially when you pile three on top of each other. For some (not all) important folks, these losses will seep into their consciences and influence program-shaping decisions: decisions like . . . which scholarship offer to accept . . . which team to vote for . . . should I stay or should I go, now . . . and so forth.

Most of us remember that Adrian Peterson made his decision to attend OU on the basis of winning championships. At the time, our record in title games in the Stoops era was 1-1. What decision would he have made if we were 1-3, with three losses straight? Our victory over Texas in that recruiting battle was razor-thin. Can you imagine the impact on our program if he'd chosen the Horns? Good gawd: picture two or maybe three years having to deal with AD and VY in the same backfield.

Pause.

Ponder.

Now consider: there are other recruiting battles being waged whose outcomes will be determined by razor-thin margins, as well.

Sam Bradford staying will mitigate the majority of most decision-influencing doubts over the coming year, beginning with his announcement. Case in point: if he leaves, you can bet that Rueben Randle scratches OU off his final three. Sure, it's a long shot anyway. But it's absolutely NO shot if Sam goes. And what's true of Rueben Randle's decision is probably equally true of Jermaine Gresham's. Sam stays: we have a shot to keep Gresham. Sam goes: Gresham goes.

Sam Bradford both staying AND guiding us to a championship (which I believe would happen - ahh, the crimson colored world is coming back into focus) will erase any and all decision-making doubts entirely. And just as it did in 2000, that championship will matter. It would matter immensely.

This decision is of monumental importance to our program.

OK. Enough of this. Objectivity, or whatever this perspective is, really sucks. I've gotten negged enough to know when it's time to get back in line . . .

Sooner70
1/14/2009, 07:31 AM
King David.....I understand your concerns, but if Sam et al leaves, I don't think the sky will fall in Norman. Why? Because Bob Stoops stays. Here's the deal....we went thru this same drill when Bomar, Quinn et al got booted. Remember, Bomar was touted as "The Future" of OU Football. Quinn was a All Big 12 key anchor on the line. Thompson stepped up as did others. Stoops & his staff did a great piece of coaching that year. If Sam leaves, he leaves.

What I'm getting at, Stoops has rebuilt the Sooner Football machine. It's up & running. There may be some burps along the way, but there ain't gonna be a prolonged slide into oblivion as in the dark days of the 90's. Ain't gonna happen. Sure, I'm like everybody else....0-5 in BCS games sucks. Does anybody think Stoops is OK with that? Heck, no. He hates it. Only a coupla of those games were real blowouts (USC, WVU)--don't know what happened there, but the other 3 were winnable. If the Offense had done their job in the Red Zone this year, OU'd be NC's for the 8th time. Not blaming that on Sam, either....his passes were on the money. I just wonder about the play calling in the red zone.

Nope, there is a Santa Virginia, and it's Bob & Co. Players will always come & go, and there may be even some tough times in the Sooner Nation occasionally, but the Machine is up & running. After the Texas loss this year, answer this honestly....would you have thought OU woulda been in the NC game? How did that happen? Think about it.

KingDavid
1/14/2009, 04:49 PM
King David.....I understand your concerns, but if Sam et al leaves, I don't think the sky will fall in Norman. Why? Because Bob Stoops stays. Here's the deal....we went thru this same drill when Bomar, Quinn et al got booted. Remember, Bomar was touted as "The Future" of OU Football. Quinn was a All Big 12 key anchor on the line. Thompson stepped up as did others. Stoops & his staff did a great piece of coaching that year. If Sam leaves, he leaves.

What I'm getting at, Stoops has rebuilt the Sooner Football machine. It's up & running. There may be some burps along the way, but there ain't gonna be a prolonged slide into oblivion as in the dark days of the 90's. Ain't gonna happen. Sure, I'm like everybody else....0-5 in BCS games sucks. Does anybody think Stoops is OK with that? Heck, no. He hates it. Only a coupla of those games were real blowouts (USC, WVU)--don't know what happened there, but the other 3 were winnable. If the Offense had done their job in the Red Zone this year, OU'd be NC's for the 8th time. Not blaming that on Sam, either....his passes were on the money. I just wonder about the play calling in the red zone.

Nope, there is a Santa Virginia, and it's Bob & Co. Players will always come & go, and there may be even some tough times in the Sooner Nation occasionally, but the Machine is up & running. After the Texas loss this year, answer this honestly....would you have thought OU woulda been in the NC game? How did that happen? Think about it.

You are right and there is a real irony to this:

One of the reasons Bob Stoops makes our program virtually impervious to protracted decline is that he genuinely believes that the program is NOT impervious to a protracted decline.

He believes that the reputation has to be earned/proved again and again, every year. It is the solemn duty of every member of the program. There is no room for a spirit of entitlement in that man's blessed soul. And his mindset pervades through the program to every player worthy of donning the crimson and cream. That right there is true leadership.

And now we await a wonderful press conference in just a few minutes.

All the pieces of the puzzle are in place. Next year's RRSO will be of epic proportions.

(Side note: How I desperately wish the Big XII would modify its championship format to allow the second place finisher from one division (read: Texas or, God forbid, OU) to replace the first place finisher from the opposite division (read: whatever piece of crap team wins the North) based on significant disparity in BCS rankings (that will likely be even greater next year than in any previous year). If Mack Brown weren't such a meally-mouthed putz, he'd focus his energies (and the considerable leverage of the Texas program) on something far more important than changing the blasted tie-breaker formula. What a complete maroon.)