PDA

View Full Version : Dear College Football, it's over between us.

TUSooner
1/9/2009, 09:37 AM
Late each August, you flirt with me.
By Labor Day, we're holding hands.
By October I am intoxicated by your promises of happiness.
Through the Fall we laugh and play.
When I see the signs of your faithlessness,
you kiss my eyes and assure me that all will be well in the end,
if only I will stay with you.
I believe and follow.
In December, you grow cold and distant,
but I stay true.
January comes,
and I crave the promised consummation of our affair.
You lead me to the altar and,
before God and man,
you kick me in the guts with your pointy-toed shoes.
As I lie in pain and sickness,
you dance in front of me with all your other suitors,
even though their devotion can never match mine.
The Gatorade-soaked world laughs with you --
and at me.
Is it not enough that you betray and abandon me?
Must you mock me as well?
But now I am sadder and wiser.
It's over between us.
Forever.
Until August.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2009, 10:01 AM
and at me.

Pretty much sums up how I feel right now.

Although I know it will only last...

Until August.

josh09
1/9/2009, 10:30 AM
This is pretty much whats going on in my head after this season, the '04 season, and '03 season

Pricetag
1/9/2009, 10:34 AM
Heh, awesome.

I was telling myself last night, it's years like this that demonstrate how special years like 2000 were, and that there are many, many fans who never get to sniff the kind of success OU has had since 2000.

That being said, I think we've suffered enough anguish, disappointment, and ridicule to have purchased another NC.

Crimsontothecore
1/9/2009, 10:52 AM
I believe and follow.
but I stay true.
January comes,
before God and man,
and at me.
It's over between us.
Forever.
Until August.

So did the bit** give you your stuff back?

8timechamps
1/9/2009, 10:55 AM
So true TU, however, like every man in love with a beautiful woman, you'll answer the "booty call" sometime mid-August.

TUSooner
1/9/2009, 10:55 AM
So did the bit** give you your stuff back?

She took everything. EVERYTHING, I tell ya!

shameless bump :D

TopDawg
1/9/2009, 11:08 AM
Great work, TU.

A-M
1/9/2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the laugh! I needed that. I did wake up this morning, so I guess the world didn't come to an end after we lost last night. Back to life as I wait until August to arrive!

Oldnslo
1/9/2009, 11:17 AM
yup. jilted again. hurts deep. hurts bad.

feeling low.

feeling sad.

but it could be worse. We failed, but we failed on the biggest stage and against a worthy adversary. We failed, but it was not through lack of effort or lack of heart.

We may not be National Champions, but we are still and undoubtedly Champions.

SeattleOUstudent
1/9/2009, 11:18 AM
Actually, after the game last night, I seriously had to reconsider how much I get into OU football. Im tired of the let down. Maybe if I become more of a casual fan, it wont hurt as much? Hell, my wife to be is an OU alum and she was in the other room yacking with friends the last half of the game. What must it be like to take OU football so lightly?

I literally grew up attending OU games as a kid.

I think I have to take a step back in my devotion.

8timechamps
1/9/2009, 11:22 AM
Actually, after the game last night, I seriously had to reconsider how much I get into OU football. Im tired of the let down. Maybe if I become more of a casual fan, it wont hurt as much? Hell, my wife to be is an OU alum and she was in the other room yacking with friends the last half of the game. What must it be like to take OU football so lightly?

Who you kidding?

Come August, you'll be right back where you were. And, you know it. :)

It's an illness. We all have it. There is no cure once you have it.

Why do we do it? Because we all know how great the feeling is when we win it all. Plus, there is no way we're done winning them. No way.

josh09
1/9/2009, 11:22 AM

That's what ive said our past 3 NC games. But then, my depression ends after about a week, and I get just as crazy about OU football as before. Dont worry, you'll be fine.

Bosley
1/9/2009, 11:28 AM

Yah, I woke up pretty depressed. OU football kept me sane in DC this fall, it was something to concentrate on when time got rough out here. So this especially hurts for me, it's like watching someone take a dump on your best friend. I seriously considered not watching the second half last night.

SeattleOUstudent
1/9/2009, 11:29 AM
Heh.

My comeback for all the UT smack-talkers is "yeah, and how was your championship game?"

8timechamps
1/9/2009, 11:31 AM
it was something to concentrate on when time got rough out here. So this especially hurts for me, it's like watching someone take a dump on your best friend.

I don't know dude. That would crack me up. Seriously.

Pieces Hit
1/9/2009, 11:32 AM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/jlesmf/whambulance.jpg

All aboard and I'm driving. :D

KingDavid
1/9/2009, 11:33 AM
I believe and follow.
but I stay true.
January comes,
before God and man,
and at me.
It's over between us.
Forever.
Until August.

Pure genius.

soonermix
1/9/2009, 11:35 AM
yea for 8 months of depression
**** you offseason

and since i couldn't find an official 2009 football schedule i will assume the season starts around sept 4 and in that case

ONLY 238 DAYS UNTIL FOOTBALL SEASON STARTS!

josh09
1/9/2009, 11:39 AM
yea for 8 months of depression
**** you offseason

and since i couldn't find an official 2009 football schedule i will assume the season starts around sept 4 and in that case

ONLY 238 DAYS UNTIL FOOTBALL SEASON STARTS!

September 5, but close enough!

KingDavid
1/9/2009, 11:42 AM
I believe and follow.
but I stay true.
January comes,
before God and man,
and at me.
It's over between us.
Forever.
Until February 4 (national signing day).

Fixed.:D

Bosley
1/9/2009, 11:46 AM
Heh.

My comeback for all the UT smack-talkers is "yeah, and how was your championship game?"

They got a lovely Bedazzled football out of it though, made by a 1st grader.

FlatheadSooner
That is Hi-larious !

Thanks, I really needed that! :D

instigator
That's what ive said our past 3 NC games. But then, my depression ends after about a week, and I get just as crazy about OU football as before. Dont worry, you'll be fine.

Exactly. The pain will pass and the new season will bring hope once again. We'll all take some time off and be back for more.

oubose
1/9/2009, 11:50 AM
I'm lost, and very very sad! The cut is to deep to fix, so why do I just sit here sprinkling salt on my wound by watching all the downloaded games of our "08 SOONER season". I'm addicted, I miss what we had, I don't want it to be over. I WANT YOU BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

SOONER PRIDE doesn't die, seasons just come to a end!

***ATTENTION*** Can someone please tell me what the OU schedule is for our up coming 09 season please help!!!

TUSooner
1/9/2009, 11:51 AM

This is a actually a fairly serious issue.
My grandfather and father were extremely devoted Sooner fans in their days. Bud for Grandpa, Bud & Barry for Dad.
At some point, they each decided it was just not worth the nerve-wracking emotional investment. They never stopped loving OU football, but they had to step back from it in order to regain their persepective.

I don't ever want to give up my Sooner affair, but I have come to realize that college football, even OU football, IS just a game. If I get so nervous that watching a game causes emotional trauma, I will have to take that step back as well. It's probably just my nature -- perhaps inherited :D -- to get emtionally wound up in some things, but I hope the rest of you folks are sane enough to keep up the Sooner love without burning yourselves out.

OKC-SLC
1/9/2009, 01:05 PM
Good jorb, TU.

I woke up this morning and after a few seconds realized it was the day after last night's game. I thought for a moment perhaps it was a nightmare.

But alas.

olevetonahill
1/9/2009, 01:07 PM
She took everything. EVERYTHING, I tell ya!

shameless bump :D

Bitches Man Bitches ;)

swardboy
1/9/2009, 01:13 PM
I woke up this morning with a severe leg cramp in my left calf...had to jump up and down on it saying "Ow, ow, ow, ow"...freaked out my wife.

I got nuthin'.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2009, 01:26 PM
This must be how the Buffalo Bills' fans felt.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2009, 01:36 PM

I had to do that after the bowl game in 2004. I don't remember where we went or who we played, but it was really bad. I was crushed and couldn't look at football for months. Really.

It was then that I had to really back off and remember that it really is a game played by college kids. It's a damned game. It doesn't have to be any more serious that a game of Uno or checkers.

I won't ever hop off the Schooner, but I will not let this stuff bother me like it did then. I am disturbed by the loss, because we really had the ability to win, but I'll be over this in a few hours.

I still wanted to punch the chick in the bar that kept yelling "What's the matter Oklahoma???" I just wanted to ask her if she knew the name of anyone on the gator team besides tt.

Kimberlyz4OU
1/9/2009, 01:43 PM

That is exactly pretty much the speech I got from my husband...."it's just a game", are you kidding me? No, it's not, dammit, it's OU football and now I have like 200+ days before I get to see it again.........it sucks........!! I would like to not care so much, I think, cause it ain't fun getting there and not coming away with #8. But we will be okay -

Little Al
1/9/2009, 01:52 PM
Beginning 9/5/09 we will be on the road to the Rose Bowl. You heard it here...

soonersweetie
1/9/2009, 01:55 PM
To others it is just a game. To OU Fans, it is well, larger than life most of the time. We are privileged (some say spoiled) to get to follow our Sooners every year.

To the likes of New Mexico St., North Carolina St., Indiana, Stanford, etc....it is just a game. Every few years or so, they have a good year.

We have good years all the time. I had to keep reminding myself last night, only 2 teams could play in this game and we were one of them. Not usc, not tx, not bama, but the Univ of Oklahoma filled with tons of tradition and history and fans. Millions of fans worldwide were at watch parties in their homes, bars, etc, cheering on our Sooners. That is special. That is why we watch, why we cheer and why we cry. And if you have to try to explain it to someone, well, you just can't. You either get it or you don't.

So, FL while you are basking in the glory of your crystal football and 3rd title, just remember something....

The University of Oklahoma Sooners have 7 National titles. We will be back!!!

BOOMER SOONER!!!

Jello Biafra
1/9/2009, 02:17 PM
This is a actually a fairly serious issue.
My grandfather and father were extremely devoted Sooner fans in their days. Bud for Grandpa, Bud & Barry for Dad.
At some point, they each decided it was just not worth the nerve-wracking emotional investment. They never stopped loving OU football, but they had to step back from it in order to regain their persepective.

I don't ever want to give up my Sooner affair, but I have come to realize that college football, even OU football, IS just a game. If I get so nervous that watching a game causes emotional trauma, I will have to take that step back as well. It's probably just my nature -- perhaps inherited :D -- to get emtionally wound up in some things, but I hope the rest of you folks are sane enough to keep up the Sooner love without burning yourselves out.

color me burnt.......

i ALMOST punched a horn fan at work this morning. im done.

A-M
1/10/2009, 11:28 AM
color me burnt.......

You say that now, but come next August when the team starts practice, you will be back! We all will. That's just what we do cause we have the greatest illness in the world...

...SOONER FOOTBALL DISORDER! SFD for short.

007sooner
1/10/2009, 03:21 PM
color me burnt.......

Should've actually done it. :texan:

I haven't yet learned to enjoy the highs and shrug off the lows. But I'm sure I will in time. And I'll never stop loving the Sooners. ;)

BigDeezy
1/10/2009, 05:52 PM
You nailed it TUSooner.

Thanks.

Desert Sapper
1/10/2009, 11:42 PM
This is our cycle. We should expect it, and hopefully be rewarded at some point with something better in January:

Bowl Loss - Despair
Signing Day - Hope
Spring Practice - Anticipation
Red/White Game - Excitement
Summer Practice - Prediction
FALL - Kick some ***!!

Sooner Eclipse
1/11/2009, 02:35 PM
before God and man,
you kick me in the Nuts with your pointy-toed shoes.

Fixed:(

Otherwise, spot on. I've noticed during this year that anxiety during the games is affecting my blood pressure. Not good. Pespective needs to be adjusted.

TheGodfather889
1/11/2009, 03:26 PM
I consider the love and passion for a team like the Oklahoma Sooners to be more of an obsession or a drug rather than a sickness. A sickness is something that is inside you and degenerates you. The passion for the football team is an obsession because it is simply passion and intense desire for them to have success and to watch them play but mostly for success. I would like to see OU win the National Title again and I believe in probability that if we keep appearing in the Title game it is bound to happen for us to get lucky or maybe it will be our year and we will win the National Title. However, I think National Championships are in a way a lot like drugs. Once you win one you just want to experience that feeling again, and again and again, which is also a part of competition but I think it's almost impossible for a fan to be satisfied with winning one National Title because the Championships fade. As time goes on the previous titles don't matter as much, I've already noticed the dust settling in on the 2000 title because it was now eight years ago. I think many OU fans feel that the 2001 Orange Bowl against Florida State is getting old including myself. I just don't think it's possible for a fanbase to be satisfied with however many National Titles they've seen won, however I too would like to see another one because I know the eighth National Title would immediately wipe out all these BCS failures because those losses like the wins will also fade away as time goes on.

StoopTroup
1/11/2009, 08:42 PM
I hope the rest of you folks are sane enough to keep up the Sooner love without burning yourselves out.

Anytime I think that I might be headed into burnout stage....

I go throw a football with my little boy. We put OUr Sooner Shirts on and talk about how good our Team is. Also...if that doesn't work I can go lurk at whornfans or drive through stoolwater. It's a sure fix for when your a little down. Some of you might want to get on board the Jeff Capel Train too. He's got something pretty special going on over at LNC. Bunch a wimps. :D ;)

Good write TU.

http://images.inmagine.com/img/sassystock/unx212/u10050321.jpg

SeattleOUstudent
7/25/2009, 11:20 AM
I guess its almost August. Starting to feel the excitement again.

OKC-SLC
7/25/2009, 12:58 PM
I anticipate a booty call in a matter of weeks.

oudivesherpa
7/25/2009, 01:00 PM
Living in Texas gives me some separation, I don't get as upset as I used to over the outcome of a game. But it's still "living" in Texas. It's like being surrounded by your ex-wife's relatives and they keep bragging about their classy double wide. Hello? I'ts still Texas and it's still a double wide.

jumperstop
7/25/2009, 01:04 PM
I can't believe the summer has gone so fast. It is like a long month until the first game. Is it bad that I'm going to Europe for two weeks in August and I'm more excited about football season getting here than that.

Boomer Mooner
7/25/2009, 03:23 PM
79 years old and still kickin' ***!