PDA

View Full Version : Next Years Defense should remind us of the...

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 08:29 AM
defenses of yesteryear.

I wont get into analysis; but give a few names. Man we will be deep in all areas.

Defensive Line

Frank Alexander
Austin English
Gerald McCoy
Demarcus Granger
Jeremy Beal
Adrian Taylor
RJ. Washington
Jamarkus McFarland

Linebacker

Austin Box
Keenan Clayton
Mike Balogun
Travis Lewis
JR Bryant

Defensive Backfield

Brian Jackson
Dom Franks
Sam Proctor
Quinton Carter
I am sure stoops has some more guys who are ready to play here.
Joseph Ibiloye

We should be a very very good unit next year. And very :mad:

TripleOption14
1/9/2009, 08:35 AM
They HAVE to find some more LB's PERIOD!!! Especially, a stout, smart, and most importantly FAST Mike backer. Balogun needs to be moved to DE. He's not fast enough to keep up with anyone. When florida got the mismatch they wanted on him it was easy pickings.

auto
1/9/2009, 08:35 AM
I agree, I was thinking that last night.

Cappy
1/9/2009, 08:38 AM
Yeah, it is going to be awesome to read the board as safeties get broken in against BYU in the first game. Other than that, we are gonna be a fun defense. Gonna rock some heads next year. ;)

jmr_77
1/9/2009, 08:49 AM
The D-Line is going to be very good, especially if McCoy returns. There is a lot to look forward to with all of the returning players.

AlbqSooner
1/9/2009, 09:18 AM
This years defense reminded me of the defenses of yesteryear. We came up HUGE last night on defense. I agree that we have the potential to be better next year. IF we fire Venables.;)

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 09:28 AM
They HAVE to find some more LB's PERIOD!!! Especially, a stout, smart, and most importantly FAST Mike backer. Balogun needs to be moved to DE. He's not fast enough to keep up with anyone. When florida got the mismatch they wanted on him it was easy pickings.

They could put Proctor or Quinton Carter as OLB's and move Travis Lewis to the middle. JR Bryant is a 4.3 guy, but it seems he is struggling to grasp the defense. I think we'll be better at linebacker next year.

cheezyq
1/9/2009, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure the problems with Balogun were speed related. He seems plenty fast. He was just indecisive the majority of the time. That comes from only playing football for a few years and not being familiar with defensive schemes, or being able to read the offense.

soonerlaw
1/9/2009, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know the status of Granger and more importantly, Reynolds for next year due to their injuries.

I sure hope Ryan gets an opportunity to play again. He was the heart of the defense.

SPuL
1/9/2009, 05:47 PM
^yea, exactly what I was gonna ask. Was he a senior this yr?

and I'm sure he can get granted an opp to come back for one more yr if he was a senior. Just like shipley.

God I hope Bradford comes back....

Widescreen
1/9/2009, 05:54 PM
Reynolds was a junior so he can come back anyway. I just don't know if he'll be physically capable. It may be like Jason White trying to chase down RB's.

Our defense next year should be stout. If we can convince some of the underclassmen on offense to return, we could make some noise in the conference again next year.

Cappy
1/9/2009, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know the status of Granger and more importantly, Reynolds for next year due to their injuries.

Granger's surgery was supposedly pretty serious, and they are in wait and see mode with him. Sounds like it would be best to assume that he won't make it back, and if he does, it will be a pleasant surprise.

SPuL
1/9/2009, 06:12 PM
Reynolds was a junior so he can come back anyway. I just don't know if he'll be physically capable. It may be like Jason White trying to chase down RB's.

Our defense next year should be stout. If we can convince some of the underclassmen on offense to return, we could make some noise in the conference again next year.

Yea, man. I just hope he has the will to come back. He was a great leader, and sucked to see him go out in one of the biggest games of his life.

Regardless, just having him out there would be a big boost for the team. Even if he might have to take fewer snaps. He showed a lot of intelligence, and his leadership really helped our defensive unit stick together those first 4 or 5 weeks.

pappy
1/9/2009, 06:13 PM
yeah they said granger's surgery was potentially career ending. so we'll see. I don't think reynolds is gonna play again and thats a shame. good kid, good player. I think his knees won't let him.

hobbes2702
1/9/2009, 06:19 PM
Too bad yalls offense is gonna suck.

soonerfan28
1/9/2009, 06:23 PM

How do you figure we're gonna suck. We'll return Bradford Murray Brown Madu Broyles and we'll have better skill at the WR's this year in Owens and Miller. We'll also return Trent Williams and Brian Simmons and Jarvis Jones has playing time from his time at LSU. Stephen Good Ben Habern and Jason Hannan were all HS All-Americans so I think we'll be fine next year.

Widescreen
1/9/2009, 06:26 PM

They'll suck so bad that they'll still score 50 on your pathetic defense.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2009, 06:28 PM
I hope our D can play every game with the intensity we saw last night. That was refreshing. G-Mac was a beast last night.

josh09
1/9/2009, 06:31 PM
Im glad our defense is....or SHOULD BE.....good again. I guess since a bunch of offense didnt work this year, weve gotta go back to the defense, which i love.

hobbes2702
1/9/2009, 06:34 PM
They'll suck so bad that they'll still score 50 on your pathetic defense.

Well they couldn't even do that with the "greatest offense of all time" so I doubt they can do it with an OLine that will struggle and your best 2 WRs, your best offensive player in Gresham, and maybe your QB.

soonerfan28
1/9/2009, 08:16 PM
No offense to Manny or Iglesias, but Miller and Owens are set for All-American status. We won't have the experience at WR, but we'll have better size and athletisism.

hobbes2702
1/9/2009, 10:37 PM
So guys that have a combined 6 career catches are gonna be AA next year. Yea I bet.

GottaHavePride
1/9/2009, 10:50 PM
Jealousy is a stinky cologne.

itsok
1/9/2009, 11:26 PM
This post made my day!!!!!!!!! We are sooner fans, we look forward to reloading and playing for championships again!!!! Last night hurt, but we've been tru this before...in the 80's, we lost the NC in 84, won in 85 and lost in 87...in the 2000's is just one more loss than back then, so its not as bad as
it looks today...we will win again...
BOOMER SOONER!!!

OklahomaTuba
1/9/2009, 11:48 PM
If Granger just went through the same kind of back surgery I did, I wouldn't expect him to be doing much hitting anymore.

soonerfan28
1/10/2009, 01:04 PM
So guys that have a combined 6 career catches are gonna be AA next year. Yea I bet.

I don't recall saying that they would be All Americans next year but they will be in there careers at OU. I am not worried about losing Manny and Iglesias. We have recruited very well at WR and I would have to put Randle in the mix if he comes, but I don't see him signing with OU.

StormySooner-IN
1/10/2009, 01:13 PM
defenses of yesteryear.

I wont get into analysis; but give a few names. Man we will be deep in all areas.

Defensive Line

Frank Alexander
Austin English
Gerald McCoy
Demarcus Granger
Jeremy Beal
Adrian Taylor
RJ. Washington
Jamarkus McFarland

Linebacker

Austin Box
Keenan Clayton
Mike Balogun
Travis Lewis
JR Bryant

Defensive Backfield

Brian Jackson
Dom Franks
Sam Proctor
Quinton Carter
I am sure stoops has some more guys who are ready to play here.
Joseph Ibiloye

We should be a very very good unit next year. And very :mad:
Dominique Franks?

soonerfan28
1/10/2009, 01:15 PM
He's on there as Dom Franks.

sooner13f
1/10/2009, 03:23 PM
Well they couldn't even do that with the "greatest offense of all time" so I doubt they can do it with an OLine that will struggle and your best 2 WRs, your best offensive player in Gresham, and maybe your QB.

Must suck to be you. We dream of winning Championships and you dream of beating one team. I feel for ya man.