PDA

View Full Version : Will Sam Come Back?

d.stOUgh
1/9/2009, 03:57 AM
Just wondering what Fellow Sooners Fans think now about Sam going Pro.

I believe he'll be back next year.

Your Opinions?

pappy
1/9/2009, 04:01 AM
I'm pretty confident that he will come back. he got insurance on him for incase he gets hurt that started for the mnc game and lasts through next season. the ny times reported that he told rueben randle he would be in norman next year too. a friend of mine said he was at a party during christmas break when the players went home before they had to get back to practice and that jermaine gresham was there saying both he and sam were coming back.

Pigface1
1/9/2009, 04:17 AM
I'm sure he wants to right now. Once that money starts showing its face, though, I'm afraid he's gone. Wish he and Gresham, etc, would come back, but I don't see it. :(

Crucifax Autumn
1/9/2009, 04:19 AM
He'll be back after tonight, He's the kinda guy who wants to make his mark in Sooner history.

CrimsonGuy
1/9/2009, 04:27 AM
I am hoping all underclassmen come back for another year, but that money will be hard to say no to for some of them.

FrostySooner
1/9/2009, 04:35 AM
I dont think Bradford or Gresham are ready for the NFL, but I didn't think Lofton and Smith were ready either last year.

Bradford and Gresham had their breakout years this year and should stay in Norman to refine their skills a little more. They're good but not NFL good yet.

I also think that Bradford will look at the welfare of the team. Leaving this year would mean that Landry Jones would have to step in and I think Bradford knows that he probably isn't quite ready yet. Bradford was born a Sooner and will die a Sooner, so I think it will make a difference in his decision if the QB in waiting is not ready to lead the team yet.

Crucifax Autumn
1/9/2009, 05:38 AM
He'll stay. Period.

rubyspirit
1/9/2009, 05:44 AM
I would leave. There's really nothing more for him to accomplish at OU.

rubyspirit
1/9/2009, 05:46 AM
I dont think Bradford or Gresham are ready for the NFL, but I didn't think Lofton and Smith were ready either last year.

Bradford and Gresham had their breakout years this year and should stay in Norman to refine their skills a little more. They're good but not NFL good yet.

I also think that Bradford will look at the welfare of the team. Leaving this year would mean that Landry Jones would have to step in and I think Bradford knows that he probably isn't quite ready yet. Bradford was born a Sooner and will die a Sooner, so I think it will make a difference in his decision if the QB in waiting is not ready to lead the team yet.

Bradford and Gresham are definitely ready for the NFL and to work with competent coaches. Staying at OU could limit their development.

All Sooners in the NFL are excelling.

SoonerBacker
1/9/2009, 07:15 AM

How about winning a National Championship?

I really think that if we had won last night, he would leave. Now, I'm not so sure.

rubyspirit
1/9/2009, 07:19 AM
Ha! The Sooners don't win BCS bowls. Haven't you been paying attention?

Sam is better off leaving. I hope the best for the kid.

Boomer Mooner
1/9/2009, 07:44 AM

You appear to have a lot of quit in you.

On the other hand, Sam probably feels like there is still some unfinished business in Sooner Land.

85Sooner
1/9/2009, 07:57 AM
He will go and I don't blame him. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Circle City Gator
1/9/2009, 08:09 AM
He should go. His next step in development is to adjust to pro-style offenses, to make the play calls at the line, and the rest of the things a pro QB does and a college QB doesn't do. He has the size, the skills, the arm-strength and accuracy, and those won't get better.

One other thing. Kerwin Bell was a great quarterback his junior year at Florida. Then "the Great Wall of Florida" all graduated and he spent his senior year on his back. He got badly hurt and *POOF* there went his pro career. Bradford's O-line is graduating. He should go.

TripleOption14
1/9/2009, 08:15 AM
He has to go for his sake. This team will be NO WHERE NEAR as good next year. There are soooo many players leaving that if he does decide to come back it will basically be Sam against the other team. This will in turn hurt is stock because he will be pressing and his numbers will suffer. He's gotta strike while the iron is red hot. Why go through the rebuilding process and hurt your stock along the way???

Vaevictis
1/9/2009, 08:18 AM
I still maintain that our staff thinks that odds are good he comes back.

I really don't see us having scheduled an opener next year (in the last couple of weeks!) with BYU at a neutral site unless our coaches expect our most important pieces to be back.

NOVSooner
1/9/2009, 08:28 AM
they were asking this question on espn radio before the game last night to mel kiper (take it for what it's worth) and he says sam is a sure fire 1st round pick BUT scouts have no idea how he handles pressure and they want to see how he handles being knocked down and pressured and what he does when he doesn't have all the time in the world and a spotless jersey. i think they got a general sense of that last night....we all have our own opinions about that.

UTsucks
1/9/2009, 08:34 AM
I still maintain that our staff thinks that odds are good he comes back.

I really don't see us having scheduled an opener next year (in the last couple of weeks!) with BYU at a neutral site unless our coaches expect our most important pieces to be back.

LOL what the hell does scheduling BYU have to so with Sam leaving? It's all about $$$$$$$$$$ and Jerry World. That game was going to Dallas regardless.

If I am Sam Buh bye! AD left when he could have stayed.

TXBOOMER
1/9/2009, 08:56 AM
How anyone doesn't think Gresham is ready for the NFL is beyond me. I think he got himself in the top ten in the first round after that performance last night. He was the most dominant player on the field. I hope Sammy comes back. I think there is a about a 45% chance he comes back. I think there is a 100% chance Jermaine goes and productively starts for an NFL team next year.

MichiganSooner
1/9/2009, 09:02 AM
Bradford and Gresham are definitely ready for the NFL and to work with competent coaches. Staying at OU could limit their development.

All Sooners in the NFL are excelling.

Detroit says they will draft him. The Lions do not have a coach or even a general manager. Not to speak of any semblance of an offensive line. Is Teddy Lehman at Detroit? Is he excelling under that system?

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 09:36 AM
Gresham and Sam are coming back. They love their sooners, and I believe Sam wants to see it through to a championship.

Lets say Sam struggles next year or gets hurt. Well, are we forgetting he can come back the year after that. Even AD says it was a difficult situation, and his financial position was worse off than Sam's.

The lineman that are here have gotten a lot of playing time; and some of these guys were in the game last night, so it wont mimic the 2005 season with a bunch of unproven freshman, who we saw play their last game last night.

SoonerMom2
1/9/2009, 09:37 AM
Sam Bradford and Germain Gresham will be back IMO because unlike some of here that all they see are dollar signs, these two don't strike me as it is all about the money. When you have wanted to play for the Sooners your entire life and are having fun, maybe getting your degree is more important than the dollar signs.

gotpoi73
1/9/2009, 09:51 AM
Sam could definitely use another year of seasoning and about 15 lbs. He has said he always wanted to be a Sooner, does he or anyone really want to be a Lion???

soonerlaw
1/9/2009, 10:10 AM
As I hear it right now, SB will be the first QB taken. How can it get better if he stays. While I would love for him to come back, he has his future to think about and to think about excelling at the next level.

Also, at about every time this year, I start to feel real pessimistic about the players we are losing and especially those leaving early.. like, crap, we are going to suck next year because of these exits.

Then I think back.. JW left, and RB (for the most part) stepped up, RB ahem, leaves, and our wide receiver PT comes in and leads us to a great season. PT leaves, and a freshman, who we all heard was signed mostly for depth, leads us to two great seasons and wins a Heisman. Whose to say the coaches can't develop LJ into the same.

Same thing with AD leaving, AP and CB and DM all step up. Malcolm Kelly leaves early, MJ and JI step up. We have a pretty good pipeline of players (ofcourse, so do USC, Florida and Texas) so no doubt we will continue to excel. We just need to catch a break in January and turn things around.

hyoctane23
1/9/2009, 10:12 AM
How is the O-Line looking for next year?

TUSooner
1/9/2009, 10:14 AM

YOU are free to go! ;)

josh09
1/9/2009, 10:26 AM
The look on Sams face last night showed how much he wanted this. In the words of the Governator, he'll be back.

XFollower
1/9/2009, 10:29 AM
Go or stay, I sure am glad Sammy is/was/always will be a Sooner.

texas bandman
1/9/2009, 10:42 AM
I hope he's back, but will be prepared if he goes. Sam's given us a great two years.

Sooner7dust
1/9/2009, 10:47 AM
If he comes back, we got a good shot at another run. Hey, as far as the O Line goes....we are OU, we reload and not rebuild. The defense should be better next year too...We will miss Harris though.

8timechamps
1/9/2009, 10:51 AM
Here is why Sam will go:

#1, and possibly the biggest reason: There is a growing argument in the NFL at structuring rookie salaries so that it more mirrors that of the NBA (who basically controls rookie contracts for the first 3 years). The NFLPA says they will fight against it, Roger Goodell says "it's going to happen, it's just a matter of when and how". The owners want it, and even some of the veteran players are coming out in support of it, calling it "being fair".

Why does this matter to Sam? If he waits a year, he may be in the first rookie class that comes in under the new structure. Bad for Sam.

#2. As much as I can't stand Mel Kiper, I agree with his saying "if you're an underclassman, and you know that you're going to go in the first round, you go". So many things can happen to a returning player. I know all about the "insurance" players take out, but I also know those policies are "capped", and for most players, the cap is nowhere near the potential first round money.

Sam went from being a potential #1 pick to being the first QB taken (not a big deal when you say it, but a major deal when you look at the money). And all of this because he lost by 10 points in the title game?! What happens if he loses 2 or 3 games next year?

#3. If Sam comes back, it's a totally different group of offensive players (at least the line). Should he come back, I doubt it's because he seriously thinks we are going back to the title game.

I love Sam. Arguably the best QB in this era of Sooner football. As a fan, I would do backflips if he stayed. As a realist, I can't imagine that he will.

Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time), and we do have the talent to make another run next year. But, from where I sit, 2009 has "rebuilding" all over it.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2009, 11:01 AM
How is the O-Line looking for next year?

I would say better than most people think.

LT - I think Trent Williams moves here - he will be the best O-Lineman on the team next year, hands down. He may have been the best this year, too.
LG - Simmons - two starts (UTC and TCU), plenty of PT (played in every game, played pretty well last night)
C - Probably Jason Hannan, but Ben Habern looked like he had it locked up prior to injury against Baylor.
RG - Alex Williams - he looks very good and highly competitive
RT - I think Cory Brandon moves here - he has some experience on the line and has performed well at times this year.

Of course, we have a lot of kids that could win these positions in the spring and summer. Donald Stephenson, Kody Cooke, Stephen Good, Jarvis Jones (the kid from LSU that has had to sit out 2008)...and the kids coming in...Jeff Vinson (JUCO), Josh Aledenoye, and Tyler Evans. It should shape up nicely. This is definitely not the same as the 2004 - 2005 changeover. OUr coaches went into this season knowing they needed to build experience in the backups. Both the OL we brought in last year (Good and Habern) saw time this year. All of the Redshirts (Cooke, Stephenson, Hannan, and Alex Williams) saw the field this year.

With Patton back coaching the line, I am excited to see what these kids can do. The line won't be as good as this year, but it will be very good.

OU-HSV
1/9/2009, 12:23 PM
I don't blame Sam one bit if he decides to leave. He's a smart guy, he's done a lot at the college level to say the least. To me there's more reasons to leave than there are to stay. Like I say, he's a bright guy, he's fully capable to make the right decision. Props to Sam for his success at OU. I hope he stays, but I won't be shocked or angry with him for leaving if that's what he does.

SoonerBacker
1/9/2009, 12:33 PM
Ha! The Sooners don't win BCS bowls. Haven't you been paying attention?

Sam is better off leaving. I hope the best for the kid.

I will take the last 9 seasons with Bob Stoops as our coach and our record in bowl games over what we lived through in the '90s ANY day! Remember those days? When we didn't even GO to bowl games?

And you call youself a SOONER fan? Ha!

Tear Down This Wall
1/9/2009, 12:56 PM
I'll go ahead and say what is obvious to people who watch the pro game, but that college-people don't understand:

Sam Bradford isn't ready for the pro game.
Tim Tebow isn't ready for the pro game.
Colt McCoy isn't ready for the pro game.
Graham Harrell isn't ready for the pro grame.

College offenses run by their schools are vastly different than NFL offenses. People don't stand in the shotgun play after play in the pros. None of these guys would have the footwork or timing to be a pro QB in 2009 or even 2010.

They also don't run the spread to the degree you do in college. The NFL defenses are too fast. Plus, you risk your QB at the pro level by taking away tight ends and fullbacks too often. The speed and intensity at the NFL level is too high.

Finally, even the best college programs only face one or two good defenses per year. The rest is bottom feeder. There are no Baylors or Iowa States in the NFL. You can't schedule UTEP or FAU in the NFL. Every week is a grind. There are no "stat" padding game like 80% of games are for elite college programs.

It's not brain surgery either. Just look around the NFL. When you've got guys like Kurt Warner winning, Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan...it's easy to see that the pro QB and college QB are different. Where they went to school and what they did there makes no difference. The NFL is a completely different - and I'd say, radically different - animal than college football.

JLEW1818
1/9/2009, 01:03 PM
Gresham and Sam are NFL Bound, they are going to leave us.

(I've been wrong about everything this bowl season, so maybe I'll jinx myself)

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 01:03 PM
Sam is very accurate, but he could use some time in the weight room developing more muscle and adding to his build. Snaps are important as well, and I believe that Sam want to win a championship for OU.

swardboy
1/9/2009, 01:04 PM
I've tried to prepare myself for Sam leaving by telling myself that for every reason I conjure up for him to stay, he has at least 20,000,000 reasons to leave.....

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 01:18 PM
I remember hearing from Sam and Coach Stoops; that Landry Jones is just as accurate as Sam, and is grasping the offense just fine.

From a star standpoint Landry will have better recievers to work with than Sam. Manny and Jaquin struggled, because they were going up against small dbs who were quicker or just as quick as they were.

Or me we may go back to just mauling people off the line of scrimmage, and beating teams up with Matt Clapp, Eldridge, Brown, and Murray.

Circle City Gator
1/9/2009, 01:44 PM
Let me tell you a little story. In 1984, Florida's quarterback was freshman Kerwin Bell. Running backs were Lorenzo Hampton (first round draft pick) Neal Anderson (first round draft pick, four Pro Bowls) and John L. Williams (first round draft pick, two Pro Bowls). His line included Crawford Ker (third round draft pick, 7 years in the NFL), Jeff Zimmerman (third round pick, four years in the NFL), Phil Bromley (second team All American), Billy Hinson (fifth round draft pick), and Lomas Brown (sixth pick overall, seven Pro Bowls). In 1984 Bell was the SEC Player of the Year.

In 1985 the entire line and one of the running backs were gone, to the NFL. He spent the entire season running for his life and hurt his shoulder, he REALLY hurt his shoulder. It was never the same. He was drafted in the 7th round by the Dolphins in '88 and never played. His first, and only, NFL appearance came for the Colts in '96, when he led only one drive, went five for five with a touchdown.

Your offensive line this year was great, in part because they were experienced seniors. Your running backs and receivers, and particularly your tight end, were terrific. They're not all coming back next year.

Bradford should go. If he has any questions about it, he should give Kerwin a call.

SoonerLB
1/9/2009, 02:15 PM
Sam is not ready for the NFL. Mostly due to his physical makeup, he's just not filled out enough to take that kind of punishment. It's not that he does not have the talent, we all know he does, but the NFL is entirely a different game and full of extremely hard hits by extremely large men, and right now, Sam is closer to a skinny kid than a mature man. I don't mean that as disrespect, he just needs to get bulked up to handle that job if he is to be successful. And in the long run, I'm sure we all want him to be successful.

ouleaf
1/9/2009, 02:21 PM
Gresham is certainly Pro ready, IMO. Whoever picks him up, it will be the steal of the draft. As far as Sam goes, its really up to him. Is another year of college worth foregoing 20 Million right now and having you and your family set for for the rest of your lives? If a college education is important to him, he can always come back later. I say take the money and run, even if you do wind up in Det.

As far as people worrying about him transitioning to the Pro game, I wouldn't be too worried. If he works out hard this Spring and can add even 10 pounds of muscle, that'll really help when it comes to taking hits from the Pro's. Sam also runs a fair amount of snaps from under center, so I'm not really worried about him adjusting doing more of that. I wonder if they were still being a little cautious during the game about him taking snaps under center with this thumb maybe not 100% still.

olevetonahill
1/9/2009, 02:27 PM

HEH , You said you would Leave , And Poof you were Gone :D

gotpoi73
1/9/2009, 02:30 PM
if sam wants to have long term success in the nfl, he will come back and continue to develop, and learn as much he can before he goes. as the number 1 pick in the draft, he will make a lot of cash but will go to a really bad team with no coach or gm in place

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 02:33 PM
Let me tell you a little story. In 1984, Florida's quarterback was freshman Kerwin Bell. Running backs were Lorenzo Hampton (first round draft pick) Neal Anderson (first round draft pick, four Pro Bowls) and John L. Williams (first round draft pick, two Pro Bowls). His line included Crawford Ker (third round draft pick, 7 years in the NFL), Jeff Zimmerman (third round pick, four years in the NFL), Phil Bromley (second team All American), Billy Hinson (fifth round draft pick), and Lomas Brown (sixth pick overall, seven Pro Bowls). In 1984 Bell was the SEC Player of the Year.

In 1985 the entire line and one of the running backs were gone, to the NFL. He spent the entire season running for his life and hurt his shoulder, he REALLY hurt his shoulder. It was never the same. He was drafted in the 7th round by the Dolphins in '88 and never played. His first, and only, NFL appearance came for the Colts in '96, when he led only one drive, went five for five with a touchdown.

Your offensive line this year was great, in part because they were experienced seniors. Your running backs and receivers, and particularly your tight end, were terrific. They're not all coming back next year.

Bradford should go. If he has any questions about it, he should give Kerwin a call.

Maybe your right, but Leinart came back and although people call him a flop, I think thats more to him partying then anything else. Sam will make a decision based off of what he feels is best. Will it be the right decision? Only way to know that is to let things play out.

olevetonahill
1/9/2009, 02:37 PM
I hope he's back, but will be prepared if he goes. Sam's given us a great two years.

Im More Greedy Than Sam , I want 2 More years :D

ratedrsuperstar
1/9/2009, 02:45 PM
If he comes back, we got a good shot at another run. Hey, as far as the O Line goes....we are OU, we reload and not rebuild. The defense should be better next year too...We will miss Harris though.

You left out on your "we are OU" thingy that we lose BCS games !

Circle City Gator
1/9/2009, 03:14 PM
Maybe your right, but Leinart came back and although people call him a flop, I think thats more to him partying then anything else. Sam will make a decision based off of what he feels is best. Will it be the right decision? Only way to know that is to let things play out.

Did Leinert's line graduate? I'm not looking for an argument, just wondering if you had some informatio and were responding to that part of my discussion. Look, I think Bradford is a good kid and a great talent. I don't want to see the same thing happen to him that happened to Kerwin- get real talent squashed behind a less experienced line. I think you guys lose four out of five starting linemen, GOOD linemen, guys comparable to the Great Wall (execpt maybe Lomas Brown- an all-time All Pro, and probably a Hall of Famer).

sooner13f
1/9/2009, 03:25 PM
Did Leinert's line graduate? I'm not looking for an argument, just wondering if you had some informatio and were responding to that part of my discussion. Look, I think Bradford is a good kid and a great talent. I don't want to see the same thing happen to him that happened to Kerwin- get real talent squashed behind a less experienced line. I think you guys lose four out of five starting linemen, GOOD linemen, guys comparable to the Great Wall (execpt maybe Lomas Brown- an all-time All Pro, and probably a Hall of Famer).

Leinert had his supporting cast coming back for his Sr year. Unlike OU that has to reload in places...ie the O line and WR.

oudivesherpa
1/9/2009, 03:35 PM
Sam has a 3.9 in Finance, and realizes the Net Present Value concept--if he's projected as a top ten pick he will be gone.

Assuming he can't go any higher in the draft by staying for another year, just the interest on his 2009 salary/bonuses will guide him to enter the draft.

soonerlaw
1/9/2009, 04:17 PM
Also, its not like if Sam is drafted, he will be starting day 1. Carson Palmer, Quinn, Russell and even VY got a chance to get there, learn the system, and develop their first season.

Also, for some reason, I don't see Detroit drafting him. Detroit needs to win NOW. I think they are looking for a Dolphins type turn around. I don't think they can do that with a rookie qb (but what do i know, Atlanta did it with ryan).

mjhurani
1/9/2009, 04:33 PM
He'll stay. Period.

Gotta love things said with such confidence.

EVERY mock draft has Sam going in the Top 5.

He is gone. Period.

That said, nothing would make me happier than seeing him say, but that is the selfish Sooner fan in me talking. Luckily, I have a broader perspective and considering that we lose every important guy on the O-line and outside skill people, Sam should leave right now while he's holding a Heisman Trophy in one hand and about to handed millions in the other, he has to leave.

Sam's people know that, and he will be declaring by next Thursday, Jan 15.

Sasakwa
1/9/2009, 06:02 PM
Maybe your (sic) right, but Leinart came back and

and he cost himself alot of $$$ because his stock fell. NOw he's riding the bench behind some old fart. Which is cool, but it would be more fun if he had a fatter paycheck.

illinisooner
1/9/2009, 08:27 PM
At the time, several people applauded Leinart for coming back because if he were to slide in the draft (he did, obviously) then he would most likely be in a better situation anyway. And he was; having Fitzgerald and Boldin to throw to is way better than whoever SF trots out. However, what he did with that opportunity was his fault, and he now rides the pine pony. Bottom line is financially, Bradford would do much better by coming out now, but football wise, he would do much better by staying another year and taking licks in college football instead of the NFL.

Hotrod3157
1/9/2009, 09:50 PM
Sam actually has a pretty easy choice to make in my book cause whatever he decides to do will be the right choice. He can declare for the draft and become an overnight millionaire or he can choose to stay at OU and finish his degree along with playing the game he loves for the school he loves all while being beloved by an entire state. Neither one of those sounds too bad to me. I'm sure he will take a few days and let everybody know whats going on.

bluedogok
1/9/2009, 09:54 PM
As I hear it right now, SB will be the first QB taken. How can it get better if he stays.
...by NOT getting drafted by the Lions.

Here is why Sam will go:

#1, and possibly the biggest reason: There is a growing argument in the NFL at structuring rookie salaries so that it more mirrors that of the NBA (who basically controls rookie contracts for the first 3 years). The NFLPA says they will fight against it, Roger Goodell says "it's going to happen, it's just a matter of when and how". The owners want it, and even some of the veteran players are coming out in support of it, calling it "being fair".

Why does this matter to Sam? If he waits a year, he may be in the first rookie class that comes in under the new structure. Bad for Sam.
It doesn't like like Sam has to worry about that since he only has two years of eligibility left. Like I have said in other threads, there may be a work stoppage before they agree to most items, the NFL and the NFLPA are miles apart at this time. There may be no 2010 season like what the NHL went through.

ESPN.com - Commish: '09 draftees won't face wage-scale overhaul (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3795154)
Updated: December 27, 2008, 9:23 PM ET
By Chris Mortensen

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says fears of a looming rookie wage scale are unfounded and collegiate underclassmen should not be misled into thinking such a system will be in place by 2010 as they weigh their decisions to forgo their eligibility to enter the NFL next year.

"There will be no change in our current [rookie pool] system, at least until 2011," Goodell told ESPN on Saturday. "I've explained that to some college head coaches, athletic directors and league commissioners. Any underclassman who is hearing differently is probably hearing it from an agent or from another source who is misinformed."

Goodell met with approximately six commissioners from major conferences during the recent National Football Foundation meetings.

Goodell also has personally delivered his message to college coaches such as Florida's Urban Meyer and USC's Pete Carroll, both of whom have junior quarterbacks in Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez who are contemplating turning pro for the 2009 draft.

Two other highly touted underclassman quarterbacks, Georgia junior Matthew Stafford and Oklahoma redshirt sophomore/Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford, also are considering a move to the NFL.

"We talked about it, cleared the air and it was good to hear it straight from the commissioner," Carroll said Saturday. "That's a huge statement now that he's on the record. Obviously, I'm in total support of it and hopefully now a lot of good college kids getting bad information will be able to read it, see it, and trust it."

Said Meyer, "That's good, but it's something I'm not worrying about right now because we're getting ready to play [for the national championship] in two weeks. I'll deal with it after the game."

Underclassmen have until Jan. 15 to petition the NFL for draft eligibility. A player must be three years removed from high school to qualify and a record number of underclassmen have requested an evaluation from the league's designated advisory committee to acquire a projection on their draft status.

Any junior who decides to stay in school could next enter the draft in 2010, the last year of the current collective bargaining agreement between NFL owners and the NFL Players Association.

"We do expect change at some point after 2010 -- in order to shift more money to proven vets -- but it will not impact this year's eligible underclassmen that are scheduled to enter the 2010 draft after their senior seasons," Goodell said.

"In any case, we believe underclassmen should always stay in school and fulfill their eligibility. History shows that underclassmen that stay in school tend to do better as NFL players, especially quarterbacks -- Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, and Joe Flacco all played four years of college football. And, there is a long list of college players who came out early and did not do well in the NFL."

The commissioner acknowledged that "every case is different. Nobody knows the future but I'd point out that there are very few career-ending injuries in this era. The more exposure these players get from big-time college football, to display and refine their skills, is a significant benefit. And, really just their development as men and more exposure in their own college education is part of that maturity process that gives them a better chance for a longer, more productive career."

Goodell noted: "That's why we fought hard and won a legal battle on our policy in the Maurice Clarett case. A lot of people didn't think we'd win but the courts upheld our three-year eligibility rule and that was for the good of everybody."

Some agents believe that a rookie wage scale could be collectively bargained for 2010 in an extension of the current agreement once the NFLPA elects a new executive director in March. A search committee recently reduced its list of potential successors to Gene Upshaw, who died suddenly before the 2008 season, to seven candidates.

However, league sources who include owners and team executives say that owners have no desire to extend the current CBA by another year or two, even if the NFLPA offered a rookie wage scale to otherwise keep the current system in place with minor modifications.

As one source explained, the top rookie wages are a source of frustration for owners but it is not atop the list of primary issues that they want to solve with a new CBA. Consequently, the consensus is that the complexities and demands of both the owners and players union will not result in a new labor deal at least until 2011. Sources on both sides have speculated there could be an owners' lockout of the players in 2011 unless the CBA is radically altered.

One source said that even in the unlikelihood that a new labor agreement was reached in 2010, it is anticipated that any rookie wage scale would be deferred until 2011, at the earliest.

Goodell would not detail any specifics of such a concept, saying, "We have had no negotiations with the union yet on a new rookie wage scale."

"But," the commissioner added, "many veterans tell us the system needs to be modified. The current rookie pool system is designed to limit rookie pay but it does not work very well. Change is coming in this area. We do not know exactly when after 2010 or exactly what it will consist of, but we are committed to a change that will compensate top rookies very well but will make more money available to proven vets, including low-round draft choices and rookie free agents that outperform their contracts."

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.

olevetonahill
1/9/2009, 10:20 PM
IF Sam Declares
He should Pull a Eli and Tell the Lions to NOT draft him , Or Demand to Be traded .
The Boy has a Head On his shoulders and will do the Right thing . Bob, His Family and His advisers will Guide him in the right Direction , thats Best for HIM .

TXBOOMER
1/9/2009, 11:17 PM
Sam has a 3.9 in Finance, and realizes the Net Present Value concept--if he's projected as a top ten pick he will be gone.

Assuming he can't go any higher in the draft by staying for another year, just the interest on his 2009 salary/bonuses will guide him to enter the draft.

Good. I'm sure he also has some understanding of risk management and he will protect his future earnings due to a career threatening injury with an insurance policy.

tnraider1
1/10/2009, 01:17 AM
Leinart came back to make history, the 3 straight that didn't happen.

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 02:16 AM

I guess this is why both of them are likely 1st round picks? :rolleyes:

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 02:33 AM
Shhhhhh...

I want 'em to stay and you're filling their heads with that kinda thinking?

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 02:34 AM
Dude, their *** is outta here. You and everyone else might as well accept it! :D

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 02:48 AM
If ya keep talking sense like that I'm gonna have to neg ya!

sendbaht
1/10/2009, 02:53 AM
I believe he will play as a Sooner one more year. Why? I don't know just wishing and hoping I guess.

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 02:54 AM
If ya keep talking sense like that I'm gonna have to neg ya!

I been feeling a little froggy myself, dropping some red bombs, turned a few from the good side to the red side, and I ain't done yet. :P

tommieharris91
1/10/2009, 02:59 AM
McShay just a had a projection that had Gerald McCoy going 9th.

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 03:02 AM
McShay just a had a projection that had Gerald McCoy going 9th.

McCoy is a stud, doesn't surprise me. Besides Gresham perhaps, I thought he was our best player last night.

...but isn't McCoy a true Soph, meaning not eligible to go?

tommieharris91
1/10/2009, 03:07 AM
McCoy is a stud, doesn't surprise me. Besides Gresham perhaps, I thought he was our best player last night.

...but isn't McCoy a true Soph, meaning not eligible to go?

Nope, he's a redshirt Soph.

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 03:10 AM
Nope, he's a redshirt Soph.

Yup, I just looked it up. He had a heck of a game, be interesting to see if he goes. I can see him, Sam, Gresham, and Trent Williams going.

olevetonahill
1/10/2009, 03:15 AM
I been feeling a little froggy myself, dropping some red bombs, turned a few from the good side to the red side, and I ain't done yet. :P

Ur such a bastage :eek: I have nevar turned an Idjit nOOb red yet .:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Curly Bill
1/10/2009, 03:16 AM
Ur such a bastage :eek: I have nevar turned an Idjit nOOb red yet .:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Horse hockey! Who do you think I learned it from? :P

olevetonahill
1/10/2009, 03:22 AM
Horse hockey! Who do you think I learned it from? :P

Flag ???????:confused:

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 03:35 AM
Hell, I'll turn nOObs, Swamptards, Sheephumpers, and srybaby whorns red all damn year!