PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year - I want all the coaches kept

Tear Down This Wall
1/9/2009, 03:36 AM
Candidly, I've often called for the firing of Chris Wilson and moving Bobby Jack Wright back to DE coach, then hiring a secondary coach.

After this game, I feel differently. It's been coming on all season actually.

When you look at how inexperienced our defense was coming into the 2008 season, and then pile up the injuries we endured there...the season we had was pretty amazing on that side of the ball as well.

At defensive end:
-Jeremy Beal was beginning his first season as a full time starter. He was forced into starting at the end of last season. This was just his sophomore season.
-Auston English was injured much of the year, but freshman Frank Alexander stepped in and performed very well.

At defensive tackle:
-Gerald McCoy was only a sophomore this year, but drew constant double teams and will only be better next year.
-The other DT spot was supposed to be filled by Demarcus Granger, but injuries forced Adrian Taylor into a starting role. Taylor performed well all year. Like, McCoy, he was only a sophomore this year.

DEFENSIVE LINE WRAP
We went into 2008 with new two full time starters at DE (Beal) and DT (Granger). Injuries to Granger and English made this a line of three newcomers, plus sophomore McCoy. Folks, they're all back next year. This excellent line will be even better.

At linebacker:
Everyone was new. Yes, Ryan Reynolds had started before, but not every game. And, his injuries ensured that we'd play the majority of the 2008 season with three guys who weren't starters in 2007.

In short, we had a good corp with a freshman in Travis Lewis, a converted safey in Keenan Clayton, and freshman Autin Box. Box's injuries kept him out of many games, and JUCO Mike Balogun filled in.

This, again, is a young corp that will only be better in 2009. Lewis and Box were freshmen. Clayton and Balogun are junior who will both return.

FRONT SEVEN
Hey guys - they return in 2009! All of them!

Secondary
We entered 2008 with two new cornerbacks, sophomore Dominique Franks and junior Brian Jackson, they will both return. At safety, we lose both Lendy Holmes and Nic Harris. Junior Quinton Carter got some good playing time this year and will return.

So, that defense that had us in the national championship game tied 14-14 in the fourth quarter? Nine out of 11 return next year.

There's alot of talk about who is leaving on the offensive side of the ball. It doesn't matter. As we saw yet again tonight, it's defense that wins championships. And, this young, injury-riddled defense just delivered us a Big 12 title...and did enough to have given us a national title.

Whether or not Sam Bradford or Jermaine Gresham leave, this will be a team to contend for the Big 12 and national title again in 2009.

On a night when I should be upset that we lost, I actually see a very bright future with a very 2000-, 2001-type defense in store for 2009

boomgoesthedynamite
1/9/2009, 09:53 AM
What do you expect when the no. 2 team in the big 12 plays? A 10 point loss on a neutral field. We all saw this coming. You can't blame Bob. The No. 1 team in the SEC vs. the No. 2 team in the big 12.

BoulderSooner79
1/9/2009, 09:58 AM
What do you expect when the no. 2 team in the big 12 plays? A 10 point loss on a neutral field. We all saw this coming. You can't blame Bob. The No. 1 team in the SEC vs. the No. 2 team in the big 12.

You got your shiny Fiesta Bowl trophy - so what's your beef ? :D

SoonerMom2
1/9/2009, 10:08 AM

You barely beat a not so good Ohio State team and talk smack. Get a life! People like you remind me of why I am so happy to have moved to Oklahoma from TX and get away from TX arrogance. Most arrogant place we ever lived outside of MA and that is not a compliment.

Dio
1/9/2009, 10:17 AM

Shouldn't you be out stocking up on "Big XII South Co-Co-Champions" gear?

boomgoesthedynamite
1/9/2009, 10:17 AM
My beef is this: I think UT earned the chance to play FL over OU b/c UT beat OU. Instead, we were relegated to the Fiesta bowl. We were not excited to be there, and it sure showed in the score. UT and FL both beat OU by 10 on a neutral field. I think we could/would beat FL. We don’t get to find out, instead we get to watch OU embarrass the big 12 for the fifth year in a row.

BoulderSooner79
1/9/2009, 10:19 AM
My beef is this: I think UT earned the chance to play FL over OU b/c UT beat OU. Instead, we were relegated to the Fiesta bowl. We were not excited to be there, and it sure showed in the score. UT and FL both beat OU by 10 on a neutral field. I think we could/would beat FL. We don’t get to find out, instead we get to watch OU embarrass the big 12 for the fifth year in a row.

Man, I hope this negative emotion doesn't haunt you all year. That would be tragic. :P

kc sooner
1/9/2009, 10:22 AM

How come Texas Tech didn't get to go to the Fiesta Bowl? Didn't they beat texas?

boomgoesthedynamite
1/9/2009, 10:24 AM
When UT lost to OU 5 times in a row, it was embarrassing. OU should be embarrassed about 5 straight bowl losses. If you are not, then you are complacent and expect to lose, and that is the worst place to be as a fan. You just became a Baylor Bear.

Pricetag
1/9/2009, 10:28 AM
When UT lost to OU 5 times in a row, it was embarrassing. OU should be embarrassed about 5 straight bowl losses. If you are not, then you are complacent and expect to lose, and that is the worst place to be as a fan. You just became a Baylor Bear.
That went to the Big 12 Championship and BCS Championship instead of you. Suck it.

Tear Down This Wall
1/9/2009, 12:29 PM
I think it's sad that a Texas fan whose team barely beat a slow Ohio State team thinks it would have dealt with Florida's speed. It's pretty laughable. Even the sportswriters got it - Texas actually dropped a spot in the final poll despite winning their bowl game.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with 'Horn fans on here showing how stupid they are. It just reconfirms, to me, why despite being born and raised in Texas, I have an easy time being a Sooner fan.

redhawk49
1/9/2009, 12:34 PM
****off-dip****:mad:

BoulderSooner79
1/9/2009, 12:39 PM

This post really takes some of the sting out of the tough loss. Not because one horn fan is tormented by not getting a crack at the title. But rather because I know there a *millions* of horn fans out there that feel the same way. The history of the BCS will just show "2008 - Florida Gators". There will be no mention that "horns should have had a shot, but didn't get it". Erased by the sands of time.

:D