PDA

View Full Version : If anybody wants to post a negative thread..

tbl
1/9/2009, 02:30 AM
about Stoops or Venables, take your thumb and stick it in your balloon knot. I think we all can see some questionable calls on the O throughout the game (not to mention some execution mistakes by missing blocks, not making catches, etc)... but the Head Coach and the Defensive Coordinator are not at fault in this one, not at all.

Anybody calling for Stoops to leave needs to get their head examined.

Now threads about Wilson and some of those calls... I can't stop you from doing that... ;)

Leroy Lizard
1/9/2009, 02:40 AM
Any time a team loses, the fans apply hindsight on every call that didn't work out.

tbl
1/9/2009, 02:43 AM
I'll tell you this, there were more than a few plays that I had the foresight to realize they were bad plays, not just retrospect. The FG call was a bad one IMO, and that's all Stoops. That's the only thing he did all night that I called into question. Wilson on the other hand...

Still though... I don't think I'd want another OC. For whatever reason he flubbed a bit tonight, but overall his philosophy is pretty hard for D's to deal with. I don't know... maybe I want him gone. I'm all out of sorts...

tbl
1/9/2009, 02:56 AM
I will say this; this CANNOT be good for Stoops and his psyche. We all saw it with the Bills in the 90's and if you've ever read anything about them, losing those Superbowls hurt mentally so that they couldn't win. As soon as they got down in a game, that was it.

I hope he can steel himself and come back with a huge win next year, but if not, it will be a tough hill for him to climb. Stuff like this gets in your head (think about us as fans), and its hard to turn an entire organizations mindset around.

This was the game to do it, and we had it done multiple times, but the cards just didn't fall our way. I mean this one was CLOSE... but still came up short. That's gotta hurt as a head coach in ways that none of us can understand.

I'm so depressed...

MamaMia
1/9/2009, 03:31 AM
Any time a team loses, the fans apply hindsight on every call that didn't work out.Actually, I applied foresight on a few. ;)

Tear Down This Wall
1/9/2009, 03:48 AM
You know what, though, unlike the other games, there isn't a call Stoops made this time that I wouldn't have made. I'd have run on 4th down, the way we were running the ball. And, I'd have thrown with 10 seconds left in the half.

The only thing I would have changed would have been to have Quentin Chaney in the game for the pass with 10 seconds left in the half, and would have had Sam lob it to him in the corner. He was way taller than UF's corners.

But, overall, it was a good, tough game. Much better than watching us get blown out or gimmicked to death.

Cappy
1/9/2009, 03:52 AM
I'm sorry, but that field goal attempt was not the right call at all, not with this offense. No way, no how. But overall, this game wasn't the coaches fault.

pappy
1/9/2009, 03:55 AM
let me start off by saying that I don't think there is a better coach available for us then stoops. I thought kw choked in the redzone (especially) tonight. but before you get all happy about bv having a good game tonight...stoops and him didn't make the proper adjustments at halftime and we got owned in the 2nd half. florida whooped us on 3rd down whether it was 3rd and long or 3rd and short they got it more times than not. there is a problem when you have teams as talented as stoops has had and still lose 5 straight bcs bowl games...its not the players its the coaching staff.

bmno1
1/9/2009, 04:44 AM
Eat bags of dicks sooners.

rubyspirit
1/9/2009, 05:33 AM
Bob Stoops has been good for us. 10 years is long enough. I'm sure he's ready for a change too after 5 straight BCS bowl losses.

TXBOOMER
1/9/2009, 09:24 AM
I'm sorry, but that field goal attempt was not the right call at all, not with this offense. No way, no how. But overall, this game wasn't the coaches fault.

My thoughts exactly.

BornandBred
1/9/2009, 09:32 AM
Bob Stoops has been good for us. 10 years is long enough. I'm sure he's ready for a change too after 5 straight BCS bowl losses.

You are fired.

David Earl
1/9/2009, 09:37 AM
You are fired.

Yup.

David Earl
1/9/2009, 09:39 AM
You people, I have a big pile of shoes here just waiting to be tossed. If you want to analyze a coach's bad call or something, fine. But if you start bashing or calling for some coach to get fired, so help me I'll throw more shoes than an Iraqi at a press conference!

OUmillenium
1/9/2009, 09:40 AM
let me start off by saying that I don't think there is a better coach available for us then stoops. I thought kw choked in the redzone (especially) tonight. but before you get all happy about bv having a good game tonight...stoops and him didn't make the proper adjustments at halftime and we got owned in the 2nd half. florida whooped us on 3rd down whether it was 3rd and long or 3rd and short they got it more times than not. there is a problem when you have teams as talented as stoops has had and still lose 5 straight bcs bowl games...its not the players its the coaching staff.

I agree with that. Not sure about the source of losing 5 straight BCS bowls though.

OU-HSV
1/9/2009, 11:39 AM

Nice post.
I purposely didn't post last night because I didn't want to post something out of my initial anger/frustration. So I slept on it and decided to post now.
I'm still pretty speechless to this whole situation, but I've done my best in this post to piece together my thoughts on what's happened.

KW screwed up more than once in this game, especially in the redzone (unless Sam audibled out of the original call, and called that 4th down run at the goal line himself). We shot ourselves in the foot more than once when we had some nice opportunities in front of us.
Does KW need fired for this?...NO, and for anyone to say otherwise IMO is ignoring what he did the rest of the season leading up to this game.

After the missed red zone/past the 50 yd line opportunities...then we had to rely on the Defense and the defensive coaching to stop Florida late in the game. I must say props to the D and D coaching staff for the MAJORITY of the game, but unfortunately there are 4 quarters to a football game. I recall the option/shovel pass being called at least 4 times. 2 or 3 of them went for either big yards or important yards anyways. How does BV not have our D watching for that play and containing the receiver in the middle so we can bust that play up?? Another annoying thing is the Tebow jump pass...I mean seriously as a college football fan, I've seen Tebow's replays on t.v. enough times to know to watch for his classic jump pass at the goal line. Seemed our defender was in somewhat decent position to disrupt that pass, but it wasn't good enough. Maybe another LB or someone should have dropped back between the receiver and the line of scrimmage. I don't know. But that's what BV gets paid the big bucks for, and he wasn't capable of coaching our players well enough to stop several conversions or big yardage plays.

I'm disappointed and p*ssed like most of you are. I'm glad to have such a great coach in Bob. But I'm getting sick and tired of being let down damn near every bowl season. And I'm getting sick and tired of us having to wonder what it would be like had the coaching staff as a whole done a better job adjusting in these bowl games. I don't know what the ultimate answer is, but we have some very well paid, high profile coaches that by gosh ought to be able to fix some of our problems so we can win a damn bowl game.

I hate reading some of the posts on here that say "we always have next year". I mean good gosh, we're starting to sound like we're okay with losing the year end big games every season. And I'm just not okay with that, and I'm assuming most of you aren't either.

Props to Florida for the big win. And props to our Sooners for making it this far and for playing with motivation.
But let's hope that "making it this far" isn't good enough anymore.

CaliBornSoonerBred
1/9/2009, 12:37 PM
I as well did not post last night due to not wanting to post out of anger/frustration. But now sitting down to see it all, I REFUSE to say "fire KW, fire BV, fire etc". They got us to the MNC and got away from our bread and butter on offense. The defense came to play, yes, there were holes in the D at times but I think any other Sooner fan on this board would have been happy to hold Florida to 24 points. Props to Charlie Strong, he called a great game against our offfense. The only knock on the D I can see from the game was getting too conservative on 3rd down and it allowed Tebow to have time to make plays but overal, we've been a "bend but don't break" D for a few years now and it did a fine job as the D was the reason we stayed in the game as long as we did.
The offensive play calling was horrendous in my opinion. Fla blitzed a lot and had great schemes for it but we only tried to stretch the field twice(both drops by Juaquin). Gresham was never utilized in the middle of the field to stretch the d and bait the saifeties. We did not set up the offense to succeed. We ran the ball effectively with quick snaps, why do we change? I wanted to see Broyles more involved as well but that did not happen. This is why we are on this board posting and they are the coaches of the school we love so much. I know something has to change as far as preparations for bowl games but maybe this is where we turn the corner cause the D came to play. They were prepared minus a few breakdowns.
Bottom line ladies and gentlemen.........Mr. Bob Stoops has taken us to 4 MNCs in 10 years on campus in Norman, Oklahoma. He's done it with players leaving early, massive injuries to key players, MANY coaches leaving to become head coaches elsewhere, and a bar that has been set so high due to early success. Bob Stoops has led us back to being a national power and turned the program back in the right direction after that old drunk and blake did all they could to destroy it. We are in a tough place as fans and as mad as it all makes us, Coach Stoops is most likely more angered than we could begin to fathom now.
So I leave my post MNC rant now with a great big BOOMER SOONER and I've supported this University in my young life since the days of the King, through the crappy years, and now with Bob. I wear my crimson and cream proudly when we go 3-8 and when we go 12-0. There's only ONE......Oklahoma.

Taxman71
1/9/2009, 02:31 PM
No sane person would want any coaching changes right now. However, if Stoops can call out the fans for not doing their job (pre-Texas Tech), then the fans can do the same to Stoops. Especially, considering he's the one who made $6 million this year.

The decision to kick the field goal was such a mind-numbing, Gary Gibbs conservative type call, I can't even elaborate. Sheesh, we have held our breath on every PAT this season.

BigGobbler
1/9/2009, 03:34 PM
No sane person would want any coaching changes right now. However, if Stoops can call out the fans for not doing their job (pre-Texas Tech), then the fans can do the same to Stoops. Especially, considering he's the one who made $6 million this year.

The decision to kick the field goal was such a mind-numbing, Gary Gibbs conservative type call, I can't even elaborate. Sheesh, we have held our breath on every PAT this season.

Completely agree! I couldn't believe what I was seeing when the kick team took the field. There's no chance in hell that decision would have been made in any other game this year. I mean.... who in hell thought there was a chance in hell he would make that kick?

Dan Thompson
1/9/2009, 03:40 PM
I think the Refs missed at least 3 pass interference calls.

On slow-mo/stop action I could see the defender hitting the receiver before the ball got there.

I don't think there was ANY pass interference calls last night, am I wrong?

Ton Loc
1/9/2009, 03:45 PM
You're not wrong. Really my only complaint about the refs all night.

Sometimes the other team wins. It sucks.