PDA

View Full Version : Help Relocating to Houston!!!

OUbones
1/9/2009, 01:24 AM
My new job will be located in Deer Park, basically right where the beltway meets 225. Looking for any advice on where to live. I want to keep my commute time as short as possible, without being stuck in a ghetto, but not regulated to suburbia (single 29). I’m really interested in knowing some “solid” :) commute times inside the south loop or Crystal Lake. Any help would be much appreciated.

Turd_Ferguson
1/9/2009, 01:27 AM
My new job will be located in Deer Park, basically right where the beltway meets 225. Looking for any advice on where to live. I want to keep my commute time as short as possible, without being stuck in a ghetto, but not regulated to suburbia (single 29). I’m really interested in knowing some “solid” :) commute times inside the south loop or Crystal Lake. Any help would be much appreciated.I wouldn't worry about a ghetto. If you mover anywhere within 30 miles of downtown, your gonna be in the barrio.:D

Flagstaffsooner
1/9/2009, 01:55 AM
Nice place:O . You are moving to the most suck area on earth. That's east Houston. Find another job.

OOOOh what's that smell?

Turd_Ferguson
1/9/2009, 02:00 AM
OOOOh what's that smell?Refried beens:confused:

Flagstaffsooner
1/9/2009, 02:07 AM
Refried beens:confused:Nope.

http://houstonist.com/attachments/houston_jim/020907_refinery.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
1/9/2009, 02:13 AM
Buy a saddle so you can ride the cockroaches to work. Easy commute thru the ditches.

OUbones
1/9/2009, 02:27 AM
I'm a chemist I love that smell!

Flagstaffsooner
1/9/2009, 02:30 AM
I'm a chemist I love that smell!Then you would really like the back side of my underwear.:D

Hell, I'll FEDEX you some Christmas treats from the cats.

soonerboomer93
1/9/2009, 12:38 PM
I'm a chemist I love that smell!

I do tracability

we call that smell $$$$$$$

but the, I stay in the Woodlands. There's nothing nice in that area to my knowledge. If you want to stay somewhere decent, you're going to have a commute.

OKLA21FAN
1/9/2009, 12:40 PM
hope you like humidity! :gary:

and before you move in somewhere, make sure you ask about flood problems in the area.

Boomer Mooner
1/9/2009, 01:16 PM
Buy a saddle so you can ride the cockroaches to work. Easy commute thru the ditches.

They fly!

1890MilesToNorman
1/9/2009, 01:51 PM
Spent a summer in H Town and it was hell on earth, go from the A/C apt to the A/C car to the A/C job, then reverse. 100 degrees and 100% humidity. Go outside and melt in 5 minutes. NO THANKS.

boomerinhou
1/9/2009, 02:18 PM
I'm with the OU Club of Houston and I'll be happy to help you out. I tried to send you a PM and email from this site but couldn't.

Just go to the OU Club of Houston Website (www.ouclubofhouston.org) and send your name and contact info from the "Contact Us" block and I'll give you a shout. Type "Deer Park Info" in the "Comments" block. All of that info goes directly to me.

Boomer!!!

OUbones
1/9/2009, 03:59 PM
Spent a summer in H Town and it was hell on earth, go from the A/C apt to the A/C car to the A/C job, then reverse. 100 degrees and 100% humidity. Go outside and melt in 5 minutes. NO THANKS.

Yeah, my balls are already starting to sweat. I'm a four season kinda guy, but there are actually worst places I could have ended up. Hell with all the layoff across the US and specificly in the chemistry sector I'm just glad to have a job. 5-6 months out of the year'll be great and 5-6 months out of the year i'll feel like Icarus flying to close to the sun.

AlbqSooner
1/10/2009, 07:20 AM
Houston is much like Florida as far as heat and humidity. Lots of 90/90 days. When I lived in Florida I would tell people moving there that the first summer you think you are going to die. The second summer you are pretty miserable but it is not as bad as last year. By the third summer you accept that if you live in that area, (a) you either stay in the A/C or the water or you sweat and (b) it is socially acceptable to have sweat stains on the armpits of your suit coat even if you are not overweight.

Oh yeah, if you wear glasses, you will begin to remove them automatically as you step outside.

Veritas
1/10/2009, 12:29 PM
Help! Relocating to Houston!!!
Fixed. :D

Beef
1/10/2009, 01:04 PM
I think that the obvious answer is to live in Oklahoma and commute via Southwest Airlines.

Red October
1/10/2009, 05:09 PM
I think that the obvious answer is to live in Oklahoma and commute via Southwest Airlines.

Nope, Go Continental!!!!!

Red October
1/10/2009, 05:13 PM
If you want to live North, there is a great community called Fall Creek. It is on the beltway, not too far from hwy 59. The community is no less than 5 years old. Brand new houses, Wal Mart Supercenter, restaurants, chilis, starbucks, etc... Not sure about school districts though..

I lived in Kingwood for 5 years, and if I had to choose, I would live in fall creek if I had to move back to the Houston area.

1/10/2009, 05:20 PM
I'm in College Station and can attest to the horrible summer weather. However, grilling outside wearing shorts and a t-shirt in December isn't too bad.

North and Northwest are your best bets, which means you'll be driving. There are nice areas in Pearland, but that's also a drive. I haven't been through all of that since the hurricane... some of it might be wiped out.