PDA

View Full Version : Tebow gets the praise, but Harvin is the real

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 01:23 AM
hero. Without that dude Florida is on their way home feeling sick. Harvin is no faster than any other back we have faced (getting run down twice), but he is a damn fine football player, and Florida needs to give him the credit for this game; not Tebow.:mad:

Piware
1/9/2009, 01:34 AM
This truly is NOT sore loser stuff and I absolutely respect folks that live their faith. (Wish I was better at it myself.) Maybe it's the media hanging on his noodle but I have come to truly dislike Tebow. The phrase "trash talking hypocrit" comes to mind.

Since all the hype started and what shall ever be known as the "Ole Miss Sermon", I have felt like his ego was disrespectful of his teammates. I will do this, I will do that. Dude, you have a good supporting cast or you couldn't do squat.

I absolutely agree about Percy Harvin. Good back but he's no Adrian Peterson. There are some other really talented players on that team but it's all about the BIG TEE and his ego.

Hotrod3157
1/9/2009, 01:37 AM
I said that after the game and my friends I was watching the game with looked at me like I was crazy. Tim did convert a few big 3rd down plays with his feet but Percy Harvin makes the offense go. Without him in the game that offense looks TOTALLY different.

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 01:38 AM
I dont fault Tebow for this. I lay the blame on the sniveling media, and their hero worship.

Harvin works hard, doesnt even go home for the christmas holidays, just so he can play, and Tebow gets all of the credit.

txsooner14
1/9/2009, 01:38 AM
yup Harvin should have been offensive MVP

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 01:40 AM
I said that after the game and my friends I was watching the game with looked at me like I was crazy. Tim did convert a few big 3rd down plays with his feet but Percy Harvin makes the offense go. Without him in the game that offense looks TOTALLY different.

True. Demps is Harvin's replacement, but were on his butt, like stink on a monkey.

Hotrod3157
Tebow used to come across as actually being humble in interviews. Now it looks like a guy who is trying to look humble because he knows everybody thinks he is. I dont think he would have ever done that Gator chomp thing at Nic in either of the past two years no matter what trash Nic was talkin (Im sure Nic was talking cause he's good at it). I think Tebow is starting to buy into his own hype and is having a hard time hiding it.

sooner2b09
Tebow showed his true self when he did the gator chomp to Nic towards the end. He seems so fake and so egotistical. I respect him for being a man of faith but I feel like he takes it too far talking about it all the time and talking about his mission trips. He seems like he is too humble if thats possible, he is so humble he wants people to say how humble he is and how amazing he is. I am sick of it. I would rather have a silent leader like Sam who gets the job done and is respected by his teammates.

Oh and the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard was said tonight about Tebow after the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty;

Maybe thats the first thing he has ever done wrong.

SteelCitySooner
1/9/2009, 01:41 AM
yup Harvin should have been offensive MVP

Completely agree. He hurt us more than Tebow.

jdsooner
1/9/2009, 01:43 AM
Tebow is a self-righteous jerk. He got a big dose of humility in the first half and is lucky his defense and Harvin bailed him out. My prediction is that he will do little in the NFL. He will get his butt kicked if he starts yelling, screaming, and pumping his arm.

Hotrod3157
1/9/2009, 01:44 AM
True. Demps is Harvin's replacement, but were on his butt, like stink on a monkey.

Percy Harvin is a football player who happens to have track speed. Demps looks like a track star trying to play football. Maybe this will change as Demps gets more work in but as for right now its not even a contest between the two.

Crucifax Autumn
1/9/2009, 01:46 AM
Bah...I know we lost and I can say good game and all that little league shiite, but honestly they can both suck on my azz.

Am I unsportsmanlike? Yep
Am I totally unable to respect and honor someone who beat my Sooners? Damn right!

Is Teabag a giant doosh and Harvin a turd sandwich? YUP!

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 01:49 AM
Bah...I know we lost and I can say good game and all that little league shiite, but honestly they can both suck on my azz.

Am I unsportsmanlike? Yep
Am I totally unable to respect and honor someone who beat my Sooners? Damn right!

Is Teabag a giant doosh and Harvin a turd sandwich? YUP!

Tell us how you truly feel.:D

JLEW1818
1/9/2009, 01:51 AM
i just don't like life much right now

Hotrod3157
1/9/2009, 01:52 AM
That comment about that being the first thing Tebow has done wrong in his life made me throw up a little in my mouth. He's not perfect get over it people.

nighttrain12
1/9/2009, 02:04 AM
http://www.newsok.com/article/3336552

Here's a funny article. Tebow apologized at halftime. What is with him and all these apologies!?!

L-Boy
1/9/2009, 02:12 AM
I agree Harvin should have won the MVP, especially given he is recovering from injury and probably was not 100%. As for Tebow, it was not his best passing game, but his 3rd quarter rushing basically kept UF in the game. It also opened up things a bit later, including the pass.

Tebow is probably a guy you will love if he's on your team and you'll hate if he isn't. You can't fault him that the media has a man crush on him. Also, I am not a religious dude at all, and I tend to shy away from overly religious types, but I do have respect for people who use their faith to totally give back, and it seems like he and his family have done that.

I think his leadership is the difference of the Gators being at this point or not. Whatever you think of him, all the players on his team respect him and rally around him.

Cappy
1/9/2009, 02:38 AM
Tebow is probably a guy you will love if he's on your team and you'll hate if he isn't. You can't fault him that the media has a man crush on him. Also, I am not a religious dude at all, and I tend to shy away from overly religious types, but I do have respect for people who use their faith to totally give back, and it seems like he and his family have done that.

I think his leadership is the difference of the Gators being at this point or not. Whatever you think of him, all the players on his team respect him and rally around him.

The problem with Tebow is the way the media coddles him. He is Brett Farve Jr. Nothing is ever his fault. There was one time when he sky-mailed a pass to Harvin, and Brennaman said something like, "It is obvious Harvin's injury is affecting him." I got no problems if people are going to hype him up, but you gotta say when he blows a pass up as well or makes a bad decision (and there were plenty tonight). There were countless other times when they babied him as well, and it was sickening.

MR2-Sooner86
1/9/2009, 02:46 AM
I felt the same way.

Greatest player in college football history? No.
Greatest leader in college football history? No.

This whole time they were pumping him up I thought of Vince Young as he was a run type quarterback and leader of the team. Young was really the '05 Texas team. He won the National Championship and carried the team on his back for that final drive in the Rose Bowl.

Tebow? Did he carry the team on his back? No. If you look at Florida they have so many weapons that Tebow can go out and they are still a potent team. I thought his runs were ok and nothing really special. He's no Tommy Fraiser.

He's good don't get me wrong but what I saw wasn't THAT good.

BaSwitz
1/9/2009, 02:53 AM
Harvin is a hell of player and he's probably gone after tonight. He is a jr. isn't he? He wasn't even 100%. As far as Tebow goes, he's a great player as well and probably won't be much in the NFL, but he made some back breaking runs and was pretty clutch tonight when he needed to be. He got the flag for the chomp he did at Nic but I thought Nic got a way with his little grab on Harvin's ankle. Jocks are cocky and we've had our share. We just didn't make the plays tonight.

raquetclub
1/9/2009, 02:55 AM
Harvin is a bigger game changer than Tebow IMO. He is statistically more productive per touch, and just as dangerous, as Reggie Bush was.

He looked like the best offensive player in the game and wasn't even 100%.

Gresham is the second best offensive player in that game.

Crucifax Autumn
1/9/2009, 03:08 AM
Harvin is a bigger game changer than Tebow IMO. He is statistically more productive per touch, and just as dangerous, as Reggie Bush was.

Still hope he stubs his toe on the way to the can tonight!

GG84
1/9/2009, 03:28 AM
Couldn't agree more. Tebow was average (below average in the first half). Most Gators would not argue that Percy is the best player on our football team.

FrostySooner
1/9/2009, 04:52 AM
Harvin is a hell of player and he's probably gone after tonight. He is a jr. isn't he? He wasn't even 100%. As far as Tebow goes, he's a great player as well and probably won't be much in the NFL, but he made some back breaking runs and was pretty clutch tonight when he needed to be. He got the flag for the chomp he did at Nic but I thought Nic got a way with his little grab on Harvin's ankle. Jocks are cocky and we've had our share. We just didn't make the plays tonight.

We have had some cocky players in the past and now, but none of them ever was that cocky. The GatorChomp was totally cocky and unsportsmanlike. Especially from a guy who is so religous and full of faith. I just don't know how Nic kept from knocking him out after the game. I guess he is the better man since he gave him a hug and told him good game. Tebow is just lucky it wasn't me. I would of TKO'd him in the middle of the field or at least tried. I had some respect for the guy, but he blew it with that ridiculous show of cockiness.

Crucifax Autumn
1/9/2009, 05:00 AM
Somebody shoulda tko'd him on his first play,after that lineman of his was butthumping one of OUr linemen in an obvious hold.

lwg8tr01
1/9/2009, 07:21 AM
We have had some cocky players in the past and now, but none of them ever was that cocky. The GatorChomp was totally cocky and unsportsmanlike. Especially from a guy who is so religous and full of faith. I just don't know how Nic kept from knocking him out after the game. I guess he is the better man since he gave him a hug and told him good game. Tebow is just lucky it wasn't me. I would of TKO'd him in the middle of the field or at least tried. I had some respect for the guy, but he blew it with that ridiculous show of cockiness.

Tebow explained in an interview and was backed up by others on the team that OU was let me put it gently,... hitting through the whistle and jawing more than anyone we faced all year. That was the reason for the late game Gator Chomp. The blatant ankle twisting on Harvin should have resulted in an automatic ejection, that was terrible. Good game all around, if OU did'nt have the issues in the redzone, things would have turned out differently. In the end the difference was what everyone poo poo'd, Tebow and Co. had more big game experience than OU did and played week in a week out against stiffer competition and that helped in the 4th Qtr. That Bradford is a player, reminds me of Dan Marino and that quick release. Gresham and Brown are ballers...Harris not so much, he should'nt have run his mouth. You guys have nothing to hang your heads about, you guys played with heart and guts. Us Gators we still love Stoopsie and hopefully you guys won't be too rough in your criticism of him, he's a winner.

adoniijahsooner
1/9/2009, 07:43 AM
Remember last night when the Tom B said that Dom Franks statement was, "The most ridiculous statement ever uttered", or something to that effect? That was insane.

Cappy
1/9/2009, 08:17 AM
Remember last night when the Tom B said that Dom Franks statement was, "The most ridiculous statement ever uttered", or something to that effect? That was insane.

Yeah that almost sent me through the roof.

I just wish we had a Christian on our team. I mean, I had no idea there were so few of them in the world, since Tebow is the only one in college sports apparently.

Gatorzz
1/9/2009, 09:16 AM
Harvin was NOT anywhere close to being full speed tonight. We were all sitting watching the game in a group and the first handoff he got we all said he didnt have that burst he usually has. Luckily, he has tremendous vision.

He got hosed on the MVP award, but I could see an argument for Tebow. Tebow had very good orchestration of the offense, mostly in the 2nd half, and especially in clutch time. Perfect in the 4th quarter, big scrambles, big 3rd down conversions. Harvin had some big runs and the Gators don't win without him, nut they dont win without Tebow either. Tebow was a 3rd down conversion machine and that is where the game was won because if any of those 3rd downs fail, and OU gets it back you are probably looking at a different game.

In regards to the hate on Tebow, the media definitely covers the guy a bunch. But it's not his fault. Sure he came out in Gainesville during a home game, small market game that wasnt on national TV and made a post game promise to the fans after a crushing loss, but the media ran with that and made it a national thing and blew it up. I seriously doubt he thought that post game speech was going to turn into the phenomena that it did. The guy is a quality role model, he does things the right way - it is not a reason to hate on somebody. Don't sit here and complain that ESPN only talks about the negative and now that they have a chance to show a positive role model you don't like it.

If the worst thing we can sit here and criticize the guy for is having a little fun and enjoying victories on the field with the fans, than we are in good shape. The guy isnt killing dogs, or shooting people, or getting caught with a van full of pot.

jdsooner
1/9/2009, 09:45 AM
Tebow is a jerk, plain and simple.

I would like to ask him one question: "Do you think it is possible that God loves you more than you love yourself?"

jkjsooner
1/9/2009, 10:47 AM
A couple of comments about Tebow.

1. There is no doubt in my mind that he will never play QB in the NFL. He is not a great passer, has an extremely slow delivery, and that fullback run crap will not work in the NFL.

2. His "leadership" skills are overrated. If he tries to pull the yelling stuff with NFL veterans he'll get run out of town. You can just as easily lose a team by pulling that stuff.

Cappy
1/9/2009, 01:59 PM
In regards to the hate on Tebow, the media definitely covers the guy a bunch. But it's not his fault. Sure he came out in Gainesville during a home game, small market game that wasnt on national TV and made a post game promise to the fans after a crushing loss, but the media ran with that and made it a national thing and blew it up. I seriously doubt he thought that post game speech was going to turn into the phenomena that it did. The guy is a quality role model, he does things the right way - it is not a reason to hate on somebody. Don't sit here and complain that ESPN only talks about the negative and now that they have a chance to show a positive role model you don't like it.

Gotta disagree with saying it isn't his fault and he can't help it. If he doesn't do a million press interviews, he won't be getting crap from people as well. To me, its like its self-promotion. Not trying to hate the kid, cause I think he is a good guy, just saying if you are going to let people put you up on a pedestal...

TopDawg
1/9/2009, 02:09 PM
You can't separate the two.

Both Harvin and Tebow are great. Without Tebow, we focus on Harvin and slow him down. Without Harvin, we focus on Tebow and slow him down. The reason Florida is so good is because they have (among many other weapons), both of those guys. And, since Tebow is the quarterback and also makes some great throws, he gets most of the credit. Like any other quarterback.

Tebow is an outstanding college quarterback. So is Bradford. Last night they both had their good and bad moments. Tebow had more of both, and he also had more help from his supporting cast. Harvin was the strongest of the supporting cast and maybe they lose the game without him, but they definitely lose the game without Tebow. To me, that makes him more valuable.

TopDawg
1/9/2009, 02:14 PM
2. His "leadership" skills are overrated. If he tries to pull the yelling stuff with NFL veterans he'll get run out of town. You can just as easily lose a team by pulling that stuff.

A good leader knows what works and who it works with. Right now his leadership style seems to work very well with his teammates. It could be that he's just in the right place at the right time or it could be that he's adapted his leadership skills to fit the situation. All I know is that he's a big part of something good at Florida and it kept us from getting our 8th. Whether or not he makes it (as a quarterback or as a leader) in the NFL doesn't make me feel any better about that.

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 01:07 AM
The guy isnt killing dogs, or shooting people, or getting caught with a van full of pot.

One of these things is not like the others...

Just sayin'

Crucifax Autumn
1/10/2009, 01:13 AM
Gotta disagree with saying it isn't his fault and he can't help it. If he doesn't do a million press interviews, he won't be getting crap from people as well. To me, its like its self-promotion. Not trying to hate the kid, cause I think he is a good guy, just saying if you are going to let people put you up on a pedestal...

Yeah...having a camera crew along a third world country to watch him lance boils and circumsize kids is in NO wasy self promoting!