PDA

View Full Version : Florida Defensive Backs

The Maestro
1/8/2009, 02:46 PM
3 sophomores and 1 freshman

The tallest one is 6 feet tall

I just want to be able to reference this after the game...thanks!

Oh, and Brody Eldridge...go introduce yourself on a crack back block on a bootleg to Brandon Spikes.

All_Day_28
1/8/2009, 02:52 PM
so that means none of them have played in a bsc championship game.. I like..

GKeeper316
1/8/2009, 02:55 PM
brody eldridge is gonna make brandon spikes his bitch tonight.

sam's gonna throw for a ton of yards and touchdowns on these guys.

jermaine gresham will be the bcs championship game mvp.

Desert Sapper
1/8/2009, 03:06 PM
so that means none of them have played in a bsc championship game.. I like..
Nobody on our team has, either. As far as I know, the only freshmen that played in the GOWWDNS were AD and Marcus Walker. I may be wrong. We at least have a core of Seniors (Bennett, Bowers, Braxton, Chaney, Davis, and Holmes) that remember the pain of that game (and all the subsequent BCS disasters).

rock
1/8/2009, 03:55 PM
Champ Bailey is 6 foot as well. Height really has nothing to do with it. The leading recievers on the OU team are

Gresham - 6'6''
Iglesias - 6'
Broyles - 5' 11''
Chaney - 6'5''

Unless OU completely forgets about throwing to Iglesias and Broyles then the height advantage is not that great...

Circle City Gator
1/8/2009, 04:09 PM
Interesting that you mention this, because I think Florida's DBs are the key to this game. This is a question, not a flame. Has Oklahoma played against any good defenses that played man, not zone, cover? The little bit I've seen of Oklahoma has had Bradford getting a ton of time, and the receivers and Bradford looking for holes in the zone. Man cover also allows 7 in the box to stop the run and to blitz.

Will man cover buy the defensive ends an extra second, and if it does, can they reach Bradfored in that time? Can Dunlap's foot-speed get him around Loadholt's size? Those are question, IMHO, that start with the corners.

Question, not flame. Has Oklahoma faced decent man coverage before?

JLEW1818
1/8/2009, 04:15 PM
man also allows people to get burnt

Circle City Gator
1/8/2009, 04:22 PM
man also allows people to get burnt

No question about it. That said, can you tell me if Oklahoma has faced any decent defenses that played man coverage this year?

Dizzle Shizzle
1/8/2009, 04:44 PM
I don't know about the percentage of the time, but TCU's corners line up in man coverage a lot. They crowd the line and bring a safety in to the box to help with the run. They are a decent defense.

Toronto Sooner
1/8/2009, 04:59 PM
Dude, you can check out the TCU game if you like. TCU had 8 (maybe sometimes 9) guys in the box all game long. They stopped the run, yes, but Sam smashed them for 411 yards, with OU scoring 5 TDs. OU was up 28-3 at the half, and 35-3 after 3 quarters. The 3 points by TCU was scored due to a punt return/kick off return, otherwise the score would have been 35-0 after 3 quarters. OU was in a vanilla offense for most of the second half in order to prevent injuries, and not run up the score further.

Soonerfan85
1/8/2009, 05:13 PM
A former NFL player once told us kids at camp that it all comes down to protecting the QB. If you give the other team's QB 3 or 4 seconds to throw the ball then he's gonna beat you. No defensive back can maintain man to man coverage on a good receiver long enough to prevent completions if the QB is an accurate thrower. This was related to me by a former KC Chiefs defensive lineman 30 years ago and I think it is more true today than in his playing days.

Given Sam's quick release and accuracy, I can only hope the Gators play a lot of man coverage. We keep someone in the backfield to pick up any extra pass rushers and we should be fine as long as Sam is on his game. My only concern is Florida's speed rushers off the edge and disrupting things, but then we have a pretty good pair of speed rushers as well so it should be a fun game to watch.

Pass the Fritos and Nexium, the game is about to begin!

oubose
1/8/2009, 05:22 PM
Champ Bailey is 6 foot as well. Height really has nothing to do with it. The leading recievers on the OU team are

Gresham - 6'6''
Iglesias - 6'
Broyles - 5' 11''
Chaney - 6'5''

Unless OU completely forgets about throwing to Iglesias and Broyles then the height advantage is not that great...

Hey "little rock" we also have #1 Manny Johnson- 6 ft He'll burn your gator a** to tonight you little troll!

gator hater!!!!!!!!!

Circle City Gator
1/8/2009, 05:23 PM
I don't know about the percentage of the time, but TCU's corners line up in man coverage a lot. They crowd the line and bring a safety in to the box to help with the run. They are a decent defense.

Thank you.

CrimsonJim
1/8/2009, 06:03 PM

Gresham - 6'6''
Iglesias - 6'
Broyles - 5' 11''
Chaney - 6'5''

Holy SHAT! I didn't know Champ Bailey had any eligibility left! *GASP!* :(

RedstickSooner
1/8/2009, 06:17 PM
Interesting that you mention this, because I think Florida's DBs are the key to this game. This is a question, not a flame. Has Oklahoma played against any good defenses that played man, not zone, cover? The little bit I've seen of Oklahoma has had Bradford getting a ton of time, and the receivers and Bradford looking for holes in the zone. Man cover also allows 7 in the box to stop the run and to blitz.

Will man cover buy the defensive ends an extra second, and if it does, can they reach Bradfored in that time? Can Dunlap's foot-speed get him around Loadholt's size? Those are question, IMHO, that start with the corners.

Question, not flame. Has Oklahoma faced decent man coverage before?

Sure seemed like we were facing zone most of the season -- so, yeah, you bring up an interesting point.

Should be fun seeing how it plays out. Frankly, I think Florida's best chance is to bring a ton of pressure every down. Even if they get burnt, eventually Sam is going to lose accuracy if he keeps getting hit. And, the alternative is to get burnt anyway -- just somewhat slower.

Sure hope I'm wrong. Or that the Florida DC doesn't think the way I do :)

Ban One Sooner
1/8/2009, 07:41 PM
No question about it. That said, can you tell me if Oklahoma has faced any decent defenses that played man coverage this year?

You would be hard pressed to find any team college, high school, pro or otherwise that exclusively plays man or zone. All teams mix it up. Blitzing usually forces a defense into man coverage. Don't confuse pressing wide receivers off the line with man coverage either, as far as the comment about extra time I think you are specifically asking if pressing the receivers off the line will buy extra time to get to the quarterback, which yes is the general idea to redirect the receivers, slow them up and make the qb hold onto the ball a little longer. The thing about pressing receivers is if the receiver is good at seperating from the bump he can be wide *ss open about three steps off the line of scrimmage.

OPSEC
1/8/2009, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately, i think this calls for Bradford to do a lil runnin' on his own. If he runs for 1st downs all is good as that will slow down the rush some and one more person to account for. But man the whole game....i dont know. We going to crack a few to downtown if they do.

onthespot
1/9/2009, 12:31 AM
Any thoughts on Florida's little DB's now.

SEC-SEC-SEC-SEC-SEC

rock
1/9/2009, 12:37 AM
Those DB's played pretty well...

47straight
1/9/2009, 12:40 AM
Any thoughts on Florida's little DB's now.

SEC-SEC-SEC-SEC-SEC

Wow, that's your first post? After the game? You're sooooo brave.

Sorry that the best part of you ran down your momma's leg.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2009, 10:28 AM
Florida's DBs impressed me at the most important moments in the game. They may be young, but they are DAMN GOOD. I can't believe that kid Jenkins is a true freshman.

gatorsownu2
1/9/2009, 10:51 AM
3 sophomores and 1 freshman

The tallest one is 6 feet tall

I just want to be able to reference this after the game...thanks!

Oh, and Brody Eldridge...go introduce yourself on a crack back block on a bootleg to Brandon Spikes.

Curious to see th MAESTRO'S reference to this :pop:

AgriGator
1/9/2009, 10:52 AM
Florida's DBs impressed me at the most important moments in the game. They may be young, but they are DAMN GOOD. I can't believe that kid Jenkins is a true freshman.

Thar little f'er has played like that since day one in practice. He will be a startinf NFL corner one day. I hope it is in four years though.

Circle City Gator
1/9/2009, 11:02 AM
Jenkins is amazing. Did Bradford even throw his way all game? That's what I was talking about earlier, when I asked about man coverage.

The Maestro
1/9/2009, 11:56 AM
Well, size or no size, experience or no, they played pretty good. I still saw Joaquin drop the one great ball in the first half and then the INT was just a great defensive play where he took it away. If JI holds on to that, who knows.

Bottom line - Florida made plays. OU did not.

OklahomaTuba
1/9/2009, 12:02 PM
We lost this game because we didn't take the opportunities given to us. We competed man for man with FU, and should have been up 21-7 or even 28-7 at the half.

FUs D is no better than texass IMO. In fact against the run, they are worse.

Having the threat from Murray hurt us bad as well.

But nothing about FU was impressive to me, except Harvin, and he killed us.

Gator996
1/9/2009, 02:11 PM
Tuba, if you're going to write a "complimentary" post could you at least stop insulting us by referring to the school as "FU"?

Since you have alot of excuses and aren't impressed by UF's defense...

...what if I told you they were all returning next year and the starting who blew out his knee at the start of fall practice is returning also?

Not impressive to you?

Can you say Pre-Season #1????

G8trGr8t
1/9/2009, 04:46 PM
Why do you think the yardage was limited?

Was it the tight coverage?

Heisman jinx?

What do you think?

SPuL
1/9/2009, 04:57 PM
^no it was because of Tebow's position seated at the right hand of the father.

amen.

Partial Qualifier
1/9/2009, 04:57 PM
Hey muhfuggas -- Don't be gettin' all chirpy on us. PM the thread starter if you want to call him out on the ill-advised DB smack.

It was an evenly matched game, the bounces didn't go our way. Good Game. Now, celebrate somewheres else !1!!one!!1!!!

cvsooner
1/9/2009, 05:01 PM
Tight coverage, more physical play by defenders than by receivers, a couple of questionable non-calls on pass interference...Sam made some throws that should have been caught (the first interception was a bad decision, in my estimation). Florida played well...a very good secondary.

The most troubling thing to me is our demeanor in these bigger games. We get shoved around and don't respond with a PLAY. Don't need no stupid penalties (DUKE!), but line up and make the play.

Iglesias had to make that one catch, and didn't. Manny Johnson seemed to be hearing footsteps. Two of our most dependable receivers couldn't come through in the clutch...partly due to Florida's d-backs and the rest is...I dunno...for lack of a better word...an intangible.