PDA

View Full Version : Kick returner vs. Punt returner

PDXsooner
1/8/2009, 01:01 PM
Two questions:

1- Why are the kickoff returners and punt returners not one and the same? I mean, it seems they both require the same thing -- someone fast, shifty, with explosion and break away speed. Yet, it seems they are always 2 different people.

2- Why is Ryan Broyles not doing both?

Circle City Gator
1/8/2009, 01:45 PM
Two questions:

1- Why are the kickoff returners and punt returners not one and the same? I mean, it seems they both require the same thing -- someone fast, shifty, with explosion and break away speed. Yet, it seems they are always 2 different people.

2- Why is Ryan Broyles not doing both?

They skills needed are similar, but not identical.

Kickoff returners have an open field in front of them, time to set up blockers, and a few yards to pick up speed. Speed is more important that shifty quickness.

Punt returners have to choose between making a fair catch and eluding defenders with their first step, then weave through traffic that is already past the blockers. Shifty quickness is more important than speed.

cvsooner
1/8/2009, 01:50 PM
As a former kicker and special times guy, let me say that punt returns and kickoff returns are totally different. This is partially due to the fact that they're two totally different balls after kicking. A punt is (or should be) a tight spiral (like a pass) that at times turns over and at times doesn’t and can be hard to judge, especially in regards to field position

A kickoff is usually an easier catch because it is going end over end and you can usually tell pretty closely where it is going to land because it isn't as high. A returner can run forward with a head of steam and catch a kickoff, frequently. With a punt, you usually have to wait for it. How often do you see people running forward with a full head of steam to catch a punt? Almost never. But the two balls are drastically different in catching, as a result. The kickoff is usually stopped with a combination of hands and chest...punts are almost all hands. It really is a different skill. And some guys can't handle a punt coming from a left-footed punter because the ball is spinning in reverse to what you're used to.

You have to be set with punt returns also due to the fact that ultimately it is the offense kicking to the defense, as opposed to the kickoff which is the defense kicking to the offense, and you're more likely to see a fake or some trick play on fourth down.

And fielding the kick isn't the only thing that is different. As a rule, receiving punts are more dangerous for the health of the receiver, but kickoffs can be as or more dangerous because the coverage team has built up speed and the returner has a full head of steam running right into them. (That's also why you seem to see more kickoffs returned for touchdowns or at least big gains rather than punts. The returner on a punt almost always is going from a dead stop, but the coverage team is moving.)

On punt coverage, as a rule, the speed of play is just a little bit slower, and many teams are more willing to risk top players on the punt return team. By the same token, most teams aren’t willing to risk good position players on kickoff return or coverage. So you usually get to see straight running guys with a lot of speed, who can secure the ball well.

One final point: punt returners have to make more decisions more quickly. Maybe half of all punts are returned for any yardage. The returner must decide in a split second whether to let the punt go, to fair catch, or try for a return. If he does go for it, he must have have excellent hands, footwork and agility. Speed is good too, but it's why a Joe Washington or a Reggie Bush was such a great punt returner. Once they avoid the initial obstacles, then they can turn on their speed.

Kickoff returners need to secure the ball, follow their blockers, see or find a hole, and hit it fast. They will meet the coverage team, usually.

Punt returners --from a dead stop-- usually have to elude a covering tackler or two immediately, who already is moving. They almost never have the luxury to build up speed before they must cut left and right.

Broyles is too valuable to risk on kickoffs. I'm surprised we ever used Murray back there, frankly.

Dan Thompson
1/8/2009, 01:56 PM
Here is some interesting info I found

We kicked off about 114 times this year, 8 FG, 45 TDs passing, 44 TDs rushing and at least 1 kick off per game at the beginning or second half. The numbers may not be exact, but the point is, OU only had 4 or 5 TD from returns. 5/114 = 0.043 or 4.3% returns for TDs, that's 95.7% of the time they got it right.

Widescreen
1/8/2009, 03:06 PM
I would think that you'd also want to have different people doing those things from a fatigue perspective.

JLEW1818
1/8/2009, 03:15 PM
if we muff a punt, i really might kill somebody

PDXsooner
1/8/2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info fellas

SoonerBoognish
1/8/2009, 04:28 PM

It's a good thing we've never done that... WE'VE NEVER DONE THAT!!!

Jason White's Third Knee
1/8/2009, 04:41 PM

If we muff a punt, I might punt a muff.

PDXsooner
1/8/2009, 04:53 PM
If that happens, I'll drink a Pint and tackle a Muff