PDA

View Full Version : Stoops to Clemson Lunacy

PLaw
1/7/2009, 09:43 PM
Had dinner tonight with a Clemson alum who has a friend that is close to Terry Don Phillips. Apparently, Phillips is trying to promote his proweress down here by telling folks that Bob was signed, sealed, and delivered had OU lost to OSU.

He gave three reasons:

1) Stoops has nothing left to accomplish at OU (I buttoned my lips and thought Bob needs two more NC's and about 50-100 more wins to be on the OU MT. Rushmore).

2) There is a rift brewing between Bob and the OU administration. (wtf?? Bob, Joe, and David are the "how to" of college athletics)

3) Bob was tired of the Big 12 and the whole tie-breaker stuff was the straw that broke the camel's back (had OU lost, then the tie-breaker wouldn't have mattered).

Amazing how otherwise intelligent, logical, and practical folks can be persuaded with such propaganda.

Lunacy, I tell you.

BOOMER

ouwasp
1/7/2009, 09:47 PM
:D ......

thanks for the tension breaking humor!

Dan Thompson
1/7/2009, 09:56 PM
Can Clemson afford Bob?

BigGobbler
1/7/2009, 10:02 PM
LOL

sooneredaco
1/7/2009, 10:05 PM
Who's Clemson?

Soonerfan85
1/7/2009, 10:08 PM
I didn't know Clemson still played football. :P

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/7/2009, 10:09 PM
Amazing how otherwise intelligent, logical, and practical folks can be persuaded with such propaganda.

Really? Have you been to Clemson, South Carolina?

Not that I have myself, but it definitely seems like "You-Sure-Gotta-Purdy-Mouth-On-Yew"-country

fadada1
1/7/2009, 10:27 PM
one of the members at our club is a clemson alumni. being up here in big east basketball country, he's the only one i can have an intelligent college football conversation with. in other words, he gets it. syracuse is not D1 football... nor are its fans.

had clemson actually been trying to pull something like this, i'm sure he would've mentioned something.

that being said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

THAT'S RICH!!!!!!!

Salt City Sooner
1/7/2009, 11:01 PM
Maybe he was confusing Stoops running away from OU with his doing of the same. TDP is the dillweed that cancelled the set we had with Clemson.

CLEMSON — The downsizing of Clemson’s nonconference schedule now includes canceling a future home-and-home series against Oklahoma, athletics director Terry Don Phillips said Thursday.

The Tigers were scheduled to play in Norman, Okla., on Sept. 20, 2008, with Oklahoma returning the trip to Clemson on Sept. 17, 2011. But Phillips said Clemson canceled, without paying a buyout fee, because of ACC expansion.

“If we do good in this conference, (a Bowl Championship Series berth) will take care of itself,” Phillips said. “You need to be able to play teams to acquire depth, and if you play well and don’t beat yourself, you should be able to win those games.”

Former athletics director Bobby Robinson added Oklahoma in December 2001 as a potential marquee game. The additions of Miami and Virginia Tech to the ACC this year and Boston College in 2005 changed Clemson’s approach.

Clemson replaced a series canceled by Auburn with three games against Temple, two of which will be at home. The Tigers also examined canceling a home-and-home series with Texas A&M this year and in 2005, but the Aggies were unable to make adjustments.

Pittsburgh remains on the schedule in 2009 and 2010. No replacements have been added for Oklahoma, which played for the national championship last season.

“They’ll slap me around,” said Phillips, predicting some fans would be upset at the cancellation. “There’s a lot of people who want us to play Oklahoma every weekend, or Michigan or Ohio State. When you play in a great conference like we’re in, you don’t need to play marquee teams every weekend.”

August 27, 04
The State.com

Flying Scotsman
1/7/2009, 11:05 PM
Dude's on ludes....;)

oubose
1/7/2009, 11:17 PM
You should have dinner with someone else sounds like you just got feed some bullsh*t!! WTF

BOOMER!!!

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/7/2009, 11:28 PM
I had a couple of guys here in Clemson country make the same comment to me about Stoops and Clemson. I just laughed and mentioned that Donny was OSU ex-AD so Stoops would have nothing to do with him....I have been to Clemson nice little town, but to small for my taste.