PDA

View Full Version : SOONERS GO WIN IT FOR 'DOG LAWSON

PLaw
1/7/2009, 09:19 PM
08 - 8 - 80

This past summer, my dad turned 80. This fall, realizing the end of this earthly road is near, he confided that he really would like to see the Sooners win one more National Championship.

Some may know, but my dad moved to Norman in the mid-30's. Dirt poor and with his dad in the state hospital, his family scratched out a living in Norman. During elementary school and junior high, Dad hung out at the OU athletic department helping out wherever they would let him. One of his first jobs was picking up tackling dummies after practice. Jimmy (Dad can't remember the equipment manager's last name - the dementia has begin taking its toll) and the trainers on staff took a liking to my dad and kept this dirt poor kid stocked in OU sweats, t-shirts, and socks.

Later, dad went on to play at Norman High and in 1948 made 2nd Team All-State D-end / O-guard. At 6 ft and a buck-eighty, he was too small and too slow to play for Bud's boys. His NHS teams included Jim Garner, his best childhood friend, Jimmy Cobb, and Deuce Dufran among others.

Although he never earned an OU degree, dad was Sooner through and through. He sat under the North end zone goal post the day the 47 game winning streak ended. Took me to the '71 Nebraska game - got in with Sherriff's department passes. And even though we were living in West Texas, he found a way to get us tickets to big games during the late 70's and early 80's.

So, Bob, on this National Championship eve, I beg you, GO WIN THIS ONE FOR 'DOG LAWSON!!

08 - 8 - 80

BOOMER!

swardboy
1/7/2009, 10:02 PM
Absolutely!

sooneredaco
1/7/2009, 10:11 PM
Boomer Sooner! Thanks for the read!

Bccajun
1/7/2009, 10:11 PM
Hoping your dad gets to see the next one.

Winning the 8th will leave the team 8 wins away from 800.

OUster
1/7/2009, 10:12 PM
Dude, that one touched me, I guess because I have my own son, now. I wonder what he'll remember about his pop when he's older. Your story does right by your dad, I'm sure. DO IT FOR THE DOG, BOYS!

delhalew
1/7/2009, 10:21 PM
Excellent story. Here's hoping your dad gets his wish. Love and respect to all the Sooners that have come before us and those that follow.

Boomer!

OKC-SLC
1/7/2009, 10:26 PM
There is no better reason to win than what you just posted.

A Sooner in Texas
1/7/2009, 10:30 PM
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it and giving us all another reason to want a win tomorrow night.

fadada1
1/7/2009, 10:30 PM
awesome!!!!

best wishes to your dad.

BOOMER SOONER!!!

Toronto Sooner
1/7/2009, 10:48 PM
PLaw, all the best to your dad. I just said a quick prayer for his health and happiness.

PLaw
1/8/2009, 06:33 PM
Dad, this one's for you:

BOOMER!!!!!

08 - 8 - 80

AlbqSooner
1/8/2009, 06:42 PM
God bless you for posting about your dad.

Win this one for Dog and my dad will be elated as well. He is now 91, self sufficent, and sharp as a tack except when it comes to names. Life long Sooner fan and he will be watching tonight. My guess is he will have a manhattan before the game.

LET'S GET THE GAME STARTED!

BigBoomerInBigD
1/8/2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the post.

BOOMER!

Blues1
1/8/2009, 07:40 PM
Your DAD is My Kind of MAN....!! -- I'm 66 - Been a Fan for 56 Years --- Tell Your POP -- We are in this together --- I was at the last victory of the 47 win streak....!!! OU 39 Mizzou 14 ---- LETs Rock & Roll

GO WIN THIS ONE FOR 'DOG LAWSON!!
Blues1 IS with You All the WAY....!!!!
God Bless ---- GO WIN THIS ONE FOR 'DOG LAWSON!!
Amen ---