PDA

View Full Version : Things we will or won't miss about gayter fans

The Maestro
1/7/2009, 05:29 PM
Well, on the eve of the game, you know the disappearing act will begin, as should be the case. If Florida wins, they won't really be allowed back. If they lose, they wouldn't dare come back.

Having said that, for about a month or so we have endured their musings...very few I found enjoyable. So, let's list some of their highlights, lowlights and basic comedy that will no longer be around on soonerfans.com.

1. Yards per carry hype - sorry, 8 yards per carry loses some luster when you have four carries in a game.

2. SEC Speed - 4.23, 4.25, 4.32...whatever. Booster club stop watches or the fact football is not a track meet amuse me. As well, we know the history and reputation of that turtlesque program in Norman.

3. SEC Defense - I sure wonder how OU's defense would have fared against the likes of Vandy, Tennessee, LSU, The Citadel, Miami, FSU and others.

4. SEC Chants - so long, conference loyalty! Tomorrow night, OU is playing, NOT the Big 12! The Big 12 can suck it, Trebek!

5. Tim Tebowner's - good Lord, I swear their fans and a lot of folks think this guy craps Tiffany cuff links.

Other ideas?

starclassic tama
1/7/2009, 06:09 PM
you pretty much summed it up. i won't miss them because all they did was regurgitate the same crap ESPN says every day. and i'm not one that's big into the ESPN conspiracy against OU, but these gator fans just basically copy and pasted mark may's thoughts on our board over and over every day. it was pretty painfully obvious none of them even watched any OU games. it seems like the OU fans here watched several florida games and were way more knowledgable about UF than vice versa.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2009, 06:12 PM
Won't miss: gayter fans
Will miss: have to get back with you on that one

There were a few thoughful/thought provoking posts by just a couple of them. But
in general it was repetitive noise that I had to filter or just ignore entire
threads. I've been on this board a couple of years and don't remember
this being such an issue - including bowl games. But this is the first BCS
title game interaction for me. I've never seen a bunch of folks so compelled
to spew stats in order to convince us (or more likely themselves) that
their team would win. I was thinking is would be so easy to write a program
that would monitor this message board looking for keywords and then
generate a post that would mimic a gator poster and no one could tell
the difference. Maybe these folks are not folks at all, but just a dumb
program spewing gators stats/SEC chants/Tebow love etc. The goal
is to just jam our board with noise.

olevetonahill
1/7/2009, 06:12 PM
I think you pretty Much Covered it except what granny has to say .
http://thestranded.org/public/gators_suck.jpg

JGATOR
1/7/2009, 06:24 PM
I'll be back, win or lose. I'll say "Great game and congratulations" no matter the outcome because only two teams made it this far and will be able to win the crystal ball.

I've said on this board that I think the team with the ball last will probably win. I have also said on this board that I believe both offenses are very good and will exploit good defenses.

If both teams bring thier "A" games the score could be something like 45-42. Of course, I think it will be that way in favor of UF. Unforunately, rarely do both teams play thier "A" game in a game like this. It happened to UF against Nebraska and it happened to OU against USC. It both of those cases the loser was not as bad as the score indicated. If one team blows out the other on the 8th, that loser won't be as bad as the score indicated. I hope both teams bring thier "A" game and prove that they are the two best teams in the country,

JGATOR
1/7/2009, 06:30 PM
I've never seen a bunch of folks so compelled to spew stats in order to convince us (or more likely themselves) that their team would win.

Stat spewing went both ways. When you write that program you mentioned also have it look for things like "1st team to score over 700 points" and "1st team to score 60 or more points in 5 straight games". When stats are spewed to bolster an argument one way, you can expect stats to be spewed back the other way to refute. Just the nature of the beast.

cheezyq
1/7/2009, 06:50 PM
Stat spewing went both ways. When you write that program you mentioned also have it look for things like "1st team to score over 700 points" and "1st team to score 60 or more points in 5 straight games". When stats are spewed to bolster an argument one way, you can expect stats to be spewed back the other way to refute. Just the nature of the beast.

The difference was that gater fans posted irrelevant and wholly stupid stats, like track speed numbers. Even worse, they started lying and inflating their numbers saying things like, "Demps ran a 4.02" or some crap like that.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2009, 06:51 PM

Yes, stat spewing went both ways and it didn't matter after a while who dunnit - it got tedious. It seemed to be started more from gators, but I could be biased. Whatever, it was a different breed of opponent visitor for this game and not nearly as entertaining.

I will make a comment on the SEC love thing. The gators don't seem to realize it, but they are shaking up the SEC and should be proud of it. The old guard is still shouting "we play defense" while the gators have gone to the spread and are piling the points on everyone else. This is 2 SEC crowns in 3 years, and if UF continues to dominate, you'll see all the other teams being forced to adjust. You'll be best served by teams like Bama staying with the run-first/defense/time-of-possesion/field-position mantra while you guys run it up. But most likely, the conference will change and soon everyone will be saying the SEC doesn't play defense anymore :)

JGATOR
1/7/2009, 08:58 PM
Yes, stat spewing went both ways and it didn't matter after a while who dunnit - it got tedious. It seemed to be started more from gators, but I could be biased. Whatever, it was a different breed of opponent visitor for this game and not nearly as entertaining.

I will make a comment on the SEC love thing. The gators don't seem to realize it, but they are shaking up the SEC and should be proud of it. The old guard is still shouting "we play defense" while the gators have gone to the spread and are piling the points on everyone else. This is 2 SEC crowns in 3 years, and if UF continues to dominate, you'll see all the other teams being forced to adjust. You'll be best served by teams like Bama staying with the run-first/defense/time-of-possesion/field-position mantra while you guys run it up. But most likely, the conference will change and soon everyone will be saying the SEC doesn't play defense anymore :)

It was a blast when Spurrier came in and beat Oklahoma St something like 52-6 in his first game and did it in a fashion that the SEC was not used to. Actually, Meyer's philosophy is ball control, run-first, field position. He just does it a little differently than most run-first guys. He will take more risks than most guys with that philosophy though. It also why he has said repeatedly that he wants the fastest team in Americ. Spurrier's problem was he did not pay enough attention to defense until a guy named Bob Stoops came aboard.

As for the speed thing that people got so annoyed with here, all coaches (Including Stoops) use forty times to help judge players. Quick guys with good vision and speed only need a teeny-tiny hole from thier o-line to make a play. With Demps and Rainey being so physically small as well the hole can be smaller still. The slower you are the bigger the hole needs to be.

In any case, this can be the best 1 vs 2 game in a long time and the most recent UF-Bama game was a very good game. I have never been so excited to watch a game. Just wish I could be in Miami to watch it.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2009, 09:22 PM
Sure, everyone wants to run, control the ball, yada, yada. OU does that extremely well. What I'm saying is the gators are putting up 45 pts on those great SEC defenses and you figure they are going to notice. They either have to slow the gators down or start scoring more points themselves. Since they already play great defense (or think they do), my guess is they will figure out how to score more points by copying other high scoring teams. All those coaches in the SEC that want to keep those multi-million $$ jobs are not going to sit around an passively let UF rule the roost. The gators are definitely the trend setters now and the others must follow.

G8trGr8t
1/7/2009, 09:37 PM
I'll be back, win or lose. I will eat my crow if needed but if UF wins, will we be welcomed back?

As I have said elsewhere, both programs should be proud to have just made the game.

soonerchris
1/7/2009, 09:49 PM
the real question still lingers DOES GATOR TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GG84
1/7/2009, 09:57 PM
Just got back from Fan Fest. Unlike Internet Sooners, real life Sooners are much nicer and more polite. Saw your band/cheerleaders eating at Bubba Gump Shrimp at Bayside. Only complaint I have is... aside from some of the cheerleaders, where are the hot Sooner women at?

G8trGr8t
1/7/2009, 10:09 PM
Damn, red again, keep fluctuating with no obvious reason.

You'll see me. The masses on this blog will be begging for me to be banned. I can't wait, it will be so sweet to see all you overconfident windbags eat your words.

Would a statement like this from one of your brethren on our home board get somebody banned here? This seems to be a real sensitive group here. Hope that isn't too offensive.

Soonerfan85
1/7/2009, 10:17 PM
Just got back from Fan Fest. Unlike Internet Sooners, real life Sooners are much nicer and more polite. Saw your band/cheerleaders eating at Bubba Gump Shrimp at Bayside. Only complaint I have is... aside from some of the cheerleaders, where are the hot Sooner women at?

Busy putting together their My Big Redneck Wedding audition tapes? :pop: