PDA

View Full Version : Has anything been done to fix this board

achiro
1/7/2009, 04:45 PM
before tommorrow night? I really wouldn't mind having the ability to get on here and celebrate an OU victory with some friends but can't seem to get on when East TX plays St. Mary's School for the Blind let alone an OU game. :O

Collier11
1/7/2009, 05:07 PM
good luck

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2009, 05:12 PM
I ll probably find a game thread elsewhere...

This board will be running like a Yugo with 20,000 miles on it without an oil change tomorrow night

MamaMia
1/7/2009, 05:16 PM
before tommorrow night? I really wouldn't mind having the ability to get on here and celebrate an OU victory with some friends but can't seem to get on when East TX plays St. Mary's School for the Blind let alone an OU game. :O
You don't like my football board? Granted this football board is fun and has more people but if its all closed up just remember that we're there and we like you. :)

RacerX
1/7/2009, 05:24 PM

Nope.http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif

achiro
1/7/2009, 05:30 PM
Dang it seems slow now! Can't wait until the game!

OKC-SLC
1/7/2009, 05:39 PM
yes, i have already eliminated sf.com from my post-game plans tomorrow because I know if it can't handle the Tulsa-Ball State game, we ain't got a chance tomorrow.

OUHOMER
1/7/2009, 05:41 PM
Yep, I think I will just log off tomorrow. I dont need any frustration tomorrow before or during the game.

Boomer.....
1/7/2009, 05:44 PM
Turn off the avatars and lock out non-member viewers and new registers for a couple of days.

RedstickSooner
1/7/2009, 05:51 PM
So, why has this board broken, anyhow? Soonerfans used to be rock-solid even after a big game versus the Whorns, or what-have-you. Heck, one of our favorite running jokes was making fun of whornfans for crashing every time their football team sneezed.

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 06:00 PM
So, why has this board broken, anyhow? Soonerfans used to be rock-solid even after a big game versus the Whorns, or what-have-you. Heck, one of our favorite running jokes was making fun of whornfans for crashing every time their football team sneezed.

You answered your own question. We jinxed the board.

See, people, you must

RESPECT THE JINX!!!

olevetonahill
1/7/2009, 06:08 PM

Yup and Now its coming back to Bite us in the Butt .

WA. Sooner
1/7/2009, 07:32 PM
Can not give the whorns any board smack anymore

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2009, 07:39 PM

We tried manipulation of its spine, but it didn't help. :(

There once were two guys who did most of the db maintenance. One of them stopped hanging out here about two years ago because people were being *******s. Then the other one stopped being an admin a couple of months ago, presumably for the same reason. Don't really know though, as he hasn't shared his reasons with me.

Me, I don't have either the knowledge or the toolset to go in and monkey with the server and make it run faster. I just try to shoe-whip trolls.

Scott D
1/7/2009, 07:42 PM
Turn off the avatars and lock out non-member viewers and new registers for a couple of days.

logic dictates that should have been done oh I don't know....today. But, it wasn't, and this place will be barely functional by gametime I'm sure.

Curly Bill
1/7/2009, 07:44 PM
logic dictates that should have been done oh I don't know....today. But, it wasn't, and this place will be barely functional by gametime I'm sure.

...barely funtional? My money's on: not at all.

Scott D
1/7/2009, 07:49 PM
I've got to throw a bone out for the 3 people who will be able to access it.

I've been avoiding the site like the plague on game days for the last two seasons because of the issues that have been cropping up. I'll keep that streak intact tomorrow.

Sooner_Havok
1/7/2009, 07:50 PM
...barely funtional? My money's on: not at all.

Heh, I'll do my part to crash the board, you in CB?

Curly Bill
1/7/2009, 07:52 PM
Heh, I'll do my part to crash the board, you in CB?

Oh hell no! When I get off of here later tonight I prolly won't try to get back on here for a few days. I mean, what's the use?

Sooner_Havok
1/7/2009, 07:56 PM
Oh hell no! When I get off of here later tonight I prolly won't try to get back on here for a few days. I mean, what's the use?

To tell you the truth, I'm normally not near a computer on game days so I have no clue how bad this place really gets. But I will try to post some BS over in the SO tomorrow. And, win or lose, there will be plently of n00b hunting to be had tomorrow night. :D

Curly Bill
1/7/2009, 08:00 PM
I'd like to be able to get on here and send some nOObs to Bolivia, because there will be bunches of them clogging the place up sharing their expert punditry with one and all. That right there is the problem though, there'll be so many trying to get on here that there won't be anyone much able to get on here. It's about to be SF.com vacation time.

Harry Beanbag
1/7/2009, 08:03 PM
There once were two guys who did most of the db maintenance. One of them stopped hanging out here about two years ago because people were being *******s. Then the other one stopped being an admin a couple of months ago, presumably for the same reason. Don't really know though, as he hasn't shared his reasons with me.

So that's it? Once the db gets sufficiently huge/corrupted the place will just be gone forever? Good plan.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/7/2009, 08:11 PM
Plan?

Sooner_Havok
1/7/2009, 08:12 PM
So that's it? Once the db gets sufficiently huge/corrupted the place will just be gone forever? Good plan.

You got a better one?

Sooner_Havok
1/7/2009, 08:14 PM
I mean, my plan is to find the server, douse it in gas and set it on fire. That should speed things up round here, right?

RedstickSooner
1/7/2009, 09:28 PM
Well, dagnabit, who drove off the two data monkeys? Can't we shoe-whip the offenders, and bring back the database guys?

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2009, 09:51 PM

:shrug:

Don't know if that's the "plan" or not. There's only so much free work people will do when the beneficiaries are dicks to them.

Soonerfan85
1/7/2009, 10:23 PM
Plan?

Let's all go post on whornfans! :D

Josh Eisenteith
1/7/2009, 10:47 PM

I've been waiting for approval to post 'new messages' for two weeks now, but in the meantime, I'm seeing Gator trolls post away. Wow, I'm on the Sooners side too, what gives???

Collier11
1/8/2009, 01:22 AM
your name is josh

jwlynn64
1/8/2009, 01:28 AM
You have obviously posted nine times as of this post but you can't start a thread until you have 100 post.

SteelCitySooner
1/8/2009, 01:47 AM
We need JKM to come to the rescue!!

Frozen Sooner
1/8/2009, 02:12 AM
By the way, I'm not saying anyone was a dick to me or anything. I mean, I'm sure someone was, but I don't tend to keep track of it or anything. Like I said, I don't have either the knowledge or the access to get the board moving faster.

Harry Beanbag
1/8/2009, 07:53 AM
:shrug:

Don't know if that's the "plan" or not. There's only so much free work people will do when the beneficiaries are dicks to them.

I have no idea what happened, but I've seen a total of about 6 posts from Beano and Norm over the last 3 or so years. And being a dick to people is a Soonerfans tradition, no?

I'm sure there is someone who posts here that actually gives a crap about it that has the knowledge to do some maintenance every once in awhile.

OU_Sooners75
1/8/2009, 07:56 AM
The need to turn all the damn advertisements off for today.

I guarantee that is one of the major drags to this site right now.

That or they need to really purge the freaking server!

OU_Sooners75
1/8/2009, 08:00 AM
We tried manipulation of its spine, but it didn't help. :(

Me, I don't have either the knowledge or the toolset to go in and monkey with the server and make it run faster. I just try to shoe-whip trolls.

Tell Phil to put the trust in us. I am pretty sure if they asked people here for help outside of finances, more people would help.

I know how to cure this problem..but I do not have the access to do so. Hell, I run my own site (granted it is a lot smaller than this one) but I know what the hell I am doing.

OU_Sooners75
1/8/2009, 08:04 AM
Damn guys...if they put someone in charge of maintanence that knows what they are doing, then they would be able to cure the problem in a few minutes.

Harry Beanbag
1/8/2009, 08:09 AM
See, it only took 7 minutes to come up with a plan.

Dio
1/8/2009, 08:09 AM
Do what I always do: hit it with a hammer.

XFollower
1/8/2009, 08:41 AM
I've done software development for 15 years, I will definitely help if I can.

Josh Eisenteith
1/8/2009, 08:49 AM
your name is josh

So is some QB I know of:P

Josh Eisenteith
1/8/2009, 08:51 AM
You have obviously posted nine times as of this post but you can't start a thread until you have 100 post.
A HUNDERD?? heh, Oklahoma will be on their 9th championship as slow as this board is, when I get to a half a hundred!:D

Boomer Mooner
1/8/2009, 09:01 AM
Let's all go post on whornfans! :D

BRILLIANT!

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/8/2009, 09:11 AM
This thread has exceeded my expectations.

But so did the bowl of hot cereal I had for breakfast so, you know...

SoonerJack
1/8/2009, 09:25 AM
Try Ctl-Alt-Delete, then reinsert the DOS floppy disk to load the operating system.

YWIA

tator
1/8/2009, 09:49 AM
I've been a code monkey for a good while also. I'd be willing to help if given the opportunity.

Collier11
1/8/2009, 10:41 AM
So is some QB I know of:P

You got me there...jerk ;)

achiro
1/8/2009, 11:38 AM
I don't know anything about the server stuff but give me access and I bet I can go in and screw something up to the point that the lack of speed won't be the big issue any more.

achiro
1/8/2009, 11:41 AM
dp

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/8/2009, 12:16 PM
How bout we start by archiving some of these old threads!!!

Getem
1/8/2009, 01:58 PM
Probably just needs pruning (if it's not automatic), rebuilding indexes, maybe total reorg. Piece of cake.

OUinFLA
1/8/2009, 02:02 PM
or we could just sit down and watch the game without computer distractions?

I'm taking 2 Valium prior to kickoff, so I doubt I'd post anything worthwhile anyway...

oh, wait....

Scott D
1/8/2009, 02:46 PM
notice that 5 hours from the game that avatars are still on, and unregistered viewing is probably still open. Should just run a countdown to server overload, instead of one to gametime.

Boomer.....
1/8/2009, 02:50 PM
I tried to tell em.

Scott D
1/8/2009, 02:55 PM
I gave up on that a couple of years ago.

Boomer.....
1/8/2009, 04:24 PM
Ask and ye shall receive.