PDA

View Full Version : "Sources": Bradford to declare for NFL Draft

Partial Qualifier
1/7/2009, 01:16 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/sources-bradford-to-turn-pro/

Sources: Bradford To Enter Draft
FROM MATT BOWEN, Jan. 7th 2009:

Sources close to the National Football Post have told us that Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, barring an injury in Thursday night’s BCS National Championship game against Florida, will declare for the NFL Draft. The 6-foot-4, 218-pound sophomore and Heisman Trophy winner threw for 4,464 yards and 48 touchdowns with only 6 interceptions in leading the Sooners to the Big 12 championship and a 12-1 record.

The question now is where Bradford will end up in April’s draft. According to National Football Post draft expert Wes Bunting:

“Bradford instantly jumps toward the head of the quarterback class in the 2009 draft and will battle Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford for the top quarterback spot. Expect Bradford to draw interest toward the top end of the first round and be in the mix for the first overall pick. The Detroit Lions (who hold the first pick) and the Kansas City Chiefs (who hold the third overall pick) are both expected to be very interested in his services, as well as the 49ers at pick ten.

Also, two teams toward the middle of the draft can also be expected to have serious interest in Bradford but will likely need to trade up to get him. The Minnesota Vikings are still searching for a franchise quarterback, and Bradford would be an ideal fit to run Brad Childress’ west coast offense. In addition, Jon Gruden of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers has never met a quarterback he didn’t like, and Bradford has the accuracy and intelligence to run Gruden’s version of the west coast offense to perfection.”
We will continue to follow this story.

Sooner Among The Pack
1/7/2009, 01:20 PM
If this is true, KC and SF might not be terrible, but please not Detroit. Anywhere but Detroit.

OUinFLA
1/7/2009, 01:22 PM
Good for him, I hope he gets a brazillion dollars in a signing bonus.

Now lets get to the biz of playing the "last" college game.

HiFiGator
1/7/2009, 01:27 PM
I expect his stock to drop dramatically after tomorrow night. He ought to just leave right now to avoid that. Remember what happened to Troy Smith???

Partial Qualifier
1/7/2009, 01:31 PM
Comparing Troy Smith to Sam Bradford... LOL. You really haven't watched OU play much, have you.

fadada1
1/7/2009, 01:33 PM
being a selfish Sooner fan, i hope he stays. i really think one more year will do him good. my point being that 12-13 more games of teams throwing every conceivable defense at him will only help.

on the other hand, his stock may never be higher.

Boomer.....
1/7/2009, 01:33 PM
I think it is the right move. He can't go higher than the 1st pick or at least the 1st qb taken.

Howzit
1/7/2009, 01:36 PM
I expect his stock to drop dramatically after tomorrow night. He ought to just leave right now to avoid that. Remember what happened to Troy Smith???

I expect this will be hifigator tomorrow tonight, expect whining about Oklahoma, instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koaVqoCu-H0

HiFiGator
1/7/2009, 01:44 PM
Here on this computer we are still on archaic dial-up so I don't even bother trying to view any youtube stuff, but I'm sure that it is very flattering.

oupride
1/7/2009, 01:44 PM
I would prefer this story break the day after the bowl game and not the day before.

soonerfan28
1/7/2009, 01:46 PM
Minnesota Vikings would be nice.

SPuL
1/7/2009, 01:48 PM
^exactly wtf. Can't these mofos stfu until then lol

Partial Qualifier
1/7/2009, 01:52 PM
I would prefer this story break the day after the bowl game and not the day before.

well take this with a huge grain of salt because it's not a likely news-breaking entity citing these unnamed "sources".

If I could've put a rolleyes in the title, I would've.

BetterSoonerThanLater
1/7/2009, 01:54 PM

dumbest post of the year. everyone is now stupider for having read your post. no where in your incoherent rambling did you supply anything that resembles an intelligent answer. i award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul....

...or not. God may very well decide to strike down upon you with the wrath of all that is holy.. also known as the curb check our sooner schooner is going to give your gators tomorrow.

it was fun! thanks for playing... NEXT!

TJKDone
Not a very surprising revelation. Has any player in the modern era with a top 5/10 projection in the draft not declared?

Oops other than Ricky Williams and we all know where his head was:)

Hook'em

BetterSoonerThanLater

dumbest post of the year. everyone is now stupider for having read your post. no where in your incoherent rambling did you supply anything that resembles an intelligent answer. i award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul....

...or not. God may very well decide to strike down upon you with the wrath of all that is holy.. also known as the curb check our sooner schooner is going to give your gators tomorrow.

it was fun! thanks for playing... NEXT!

soonerfan28
1/7/2009, 02:02 PM

Where did you find the pic of Tebows mom?

cheezyq
1/7/2009, 02:05 PM
If this is true, KC and SF might not be terrible, but please not Detroit. Anywhere but Detroit.

I agree...Detroit's history, plus Detroit's history of selecting Sooners, does not bode well. I would LOVE to see him throw passes to Calvin Johnson, though.

tbl
1/7/2009, 02:11 PM
MN would be great. AD and Sam as the two franchise players? Even I would start pulling for the Vikes.

Detroit? uuugghhhh....

I ado agree with oupride. It'd been nice for this to stay in the closet till Friday... Stinking reporters.

tbl
1/7/2009, 02:14 PM
DP

SoonerLB
1/7/2009, 02:14 PM
"The 6-foot-4, 218-pound sophomore ......"

218 pounds is not enough for an NFL QB. Look at Brody Croyle in KC, his scrawny body gets pummeled to the point he can't finish a game. Not that Sam isn't good or tough enough, he just needs that frame to mature some more before jumping to the NFL and taking that kind of pounding.

StoopTroup
1/7/2009, 02:31 PM
I don't blame him for declaring if indeed he does. I wish he'd stay whether we win or lose but hey...money talks these Days. Anyone like hifigator that thinks a guy that won the Heisman and throws up numbers like Sam did after coming from nowhere to the pinnacle of College Football has their head so far up their *** that they can see what their boyfriend brushed his teeth with.

Nice post idiot. Your true colors are really showing now.

OklahomaTuba
1/7/2009, 02:34 PM
Funny, no one seems to worry much about TeBag coming out early. I think that says A LOT about how over rated he is.

Readyfor8
1/7/2009, 03:04 PM
If you reread the article it says, "Sources close to the National Football Post." Not "Sources close to Sam Bradford," or "Sources close to the University of Oklahoma Athletic Department."

This may be true but lets wait to hear it from Sam Bradford, Bob Stoops, or even a respectable news outlet.

swardboy
1/7/2009, 03:04 PM
"Bradford to Bradley" at KC has a nice ring to it...

continentalpong
1/7/2009, 03:08 PM
A quick reminder: OU’s last three Heisman trophy winners (Billy, Jason, Sam) were all underclassmen. Billy and Jason both came back. Don’t break the streak, Sam.

http://www.windmilltilting.com/ponderos/overheard-on-the-internets-sources-say-bradfords-going-pro

illinisooner
1/7/2009, 03:12 PM
Not a very surprising revelation. Has any player in the modern era with a top 5/10 projection in the draft not declared?

Oops other than Ricky Williams and we all know where his head was:)

Hook'em

Leinart.

Fight on.

SteelClip49
1/7/2009, 03:14 PM
There was a mention of Minnesota perhaps. I really hate the damn Viqueens but can you imagine......Bradford hands off to Peterson....YIKES!!!

starclassic tama
1/7/2009, 03:14 PM
Here on this computer we are still on archaic dial-up so I don't even bother trying to view any youtube stuff, but I'm sure that it is very flattering.

what happened to that gator speed? percy harvin is faster than fiber optics

JLEW1818
1/7/2009, 03:21 PM
Minnesota Vikings would be nice.

I would not be surprised if Minnesota traded up for a quarterback, they just might do it.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2009, 03:29 PM

So Troy Smith's draft stock went down after one game huh?

I m sure it had all to do with that game and nothing to do with his **** poor workouts

RedstickSooner
1/7/2009, 03:32 PM

In honor of Hif, I vote we turn this into a fark thread. Like the old days, in the long-long ago, when *any* thread, in *any* forum, could turn into a fark thread.

JLEW1818
1/7/2009, 03:34 PM
ONLY 1 MORE DAY OF GATORS!!!!!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2009, 03:34 PM
My "sources" have told me that Bradford will leave school early..not to go to the NFL but to play basketball for the Tulsa 66ers..And I can confirm they said it

JLEW1818
1/7/2009, 03:46 PM
hehehe ^^^

GKeeper316
1/7/2009, 03:51 PM
i hope he stays, but if he does leave, it would be awesome if he went to the vikings...

peterson and bradford... wow.

ouwasp
1/7/2009, 03:54 PM
"barring injury" ......hmmm...

Maybe we can hope for a very slight knee sprain as Sam does duty in the Victory formation at the end of the game. ;)

Bccajun
1/7/2009, 04:02 PM

Sorry but this is not Troy Smith vs the gators. I would put my house up against something of equal value that Sam more than doubles the yardage Smith had against the gators. 35 yds passing plus -29 rushing. Now if you think Bradford is going to have a night like that. You had better come out of the dark and open your eyes. This is the best QB FL have faced.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11230006

Florida's defense is the best Bradford has seen -- but he's the best quarterback Florida has seen, too. Don't forget that.

starclassic tama
1/7/2009, 04:44 PM
what? you mean matthew stafford's 25 TD's and 10 picks don't make him the best QB UF has faced?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2009, 05:18 PM
That award would go to John Parker Peter Tom Willis and his 9 TDs on the season..make that 10 with the bowl game..

continentalpong
1/7/2009, 06:05 PM
Sorry but this is not Troy Smith vs the gators. I would put my house up against something of equal value that Sam more than doubles the yardage Smith had against the gators. 35 yds passing plus -29 rushing. Now if you think Bradford is going to have a night like that. You had better come out of the dark and open your eyes. This is the best QB FL have faced.

For Bradford, really anything under 300 yards will be a "bad" game.

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2009, 06:10 PM

http://myfwc.com/gators/research/new_griffin.JPG

Well, bye!

delhalew
1/7/2009, 06:15 PM
Bradford+ AD +Vikings D + Decent OLINE= complete domination.

sendbaht
1/7/2009, 06:15 PM
This is just hype.
I believe he stays one more year. I really do.

budbarrybob
1/7/2009, 06:38 PM
This is nothing but a typical National Enquirer knock off. "sources say" that Bradford is really an alien that transforms himself into a mere mortal for football games. This source also claims that he takes on superhuman capabilities as a result of his "otherworldly birth"

Hmmm... some of this could actually be right....

Boomer38Sooner
1/7/2009, 06:43 PM
That the thread about Sam heading to the NFL barring injury tomorrow is true.
:(

sooner2b09
1/7/2009, 06:47 PM
its not true?

does that help?

But seriously, there are sources saying this so take from that what you want.
In an article about a week ago Rebeun Randle was saying that Sam was saying he was going to be throwing to him next year.

Boomer38Sooner
1/7/2009, 07:00 PM
Well thanks... Gosh. I know this sounds really greedy but I really really really want him to stay. I hope Randle was right

budbarrybob
1/7/2009, 07:01 PM
It is NOT TRUE...

There.

Least, until its true.

Boomer38Sooner
1/7/2009, 07:05 PM
This is just hype.
I believe he stays one more year. I really do.

I hope you are right. Please stay!!!

Boomer38Sooner
1/7/2009, 07:05 PM
haha

yukonsooner
1/7/2009, 07:08 PM
Don't do that! That thread title scared me. I thought suspension/injury. We'll worry about Sam after tomorrow.

Monster Zero
1/7/2009, 07:12 PM
Don't worry about it just yet. There's a game to be played tomorrow evening.

If Sam goes, he will have succeeded at raising the standard once again, and it will be someone else's turn. Plus Sam will be a bazillionaire. What's so bad about that?

Boomer38Sooner
1/7/2009, 07:16 PM
Sorry yukon!!! Haha i didn't mean to do that. It's just that i have heard from everybody that he's coming back and except for all of the money, everything seemed to be pointing to come back to OU (in the eyes of fans like me) and I just was completely shocked.

Yeah I guess we can worry about this after we get #8

olevetonahill
1/7/2009, 07:20 PM
Sorry yukon!!! Haha i didn't mean to do that. It's just that i have heard from everybody that he's coming back and except for all of the money, everything seemed to be pointing to come back to OU (in the eyes of fans like me) and I just was completely shocked.

Yeah I guess we can worry about this after we get #8

I think its a Bull**** Story , And Until Sam announces it I aint gonna believe it .

JLEW1818
1/7/2009, 07:24 PM
who is sam?

Okie35
1/7/2009, 07:32 PM

yea what happened to troy smith was his size(but he still is in the league unlike chris leak) then what happened after mcnair retired he got a disease that made him lose weight for a period of time... you're an inconsiderate @sshole for that one... either way i still think bradford stays

goingoneight
1/7/2009, 07:35 PM
Sam Proctor is going to the Dallas Cowboys...

Leroy Lizard
1/7/2009, 07:38 PM
Why would unnamed NFL sources know Bradford's decision any more than any of us? If he really wants to wait to announce his decision, I doubt he is going to tell anyone in the NFL.

JLEW1818
1/7/2009, 07:40 PM
I've made a promise to myself, that everytime i see you post, i have to neg you ........ hehe

continentalpong
1/7/2009, 07:41 PM
Could be it's not.

Bradford's purchased an insurance policy, according to Jimbo Elrod.

http://www.windmilltilting.com/coachbo/bradford-insured/

Bccajun
1/7/2009, 07:42 PM
Think about the coming degree from OU. With a grade point average at close to 4.0. As a parent we would be telling him to get your degree and go from there. You can always fall back on it if the next level is not what you wanted.

and maybe the Lions can win 4 or 5 games next year. :D

oumartin
1/7/2009, 07:45 PM
They would have tried to find another qb had they thought he was gonna go pro

Boomer Mooner
1/7/2009, 07:46 PM
With eleventybillion in the bank you can get a degree anytime. And I'm a parent too.

Curly Bill
1/7/2009, 07:50 PM
With eleventybillion in the bank you can get a degree anytime. And I'm a parent too.

This is the right answer. Any parent that would want their kid to go back to school when there are multi-millions sitting out there is delusional.

JGATOR
1/7/2009, 07:53 PM
I hope he stays. Guys like him are good for college football.

Ban One Sooner
1/7/2009, 08:16 PM
Anyone have any idea about approximately how many more hours/semesters he needs to graduate? Sam seems to me like he would be one of the kid's that would finish up their degree before leaving, but if he becomes a top ten pick with that kind of money he could always finish up later I guess... I will be happy for him no matter what he does, he has represented the University so well. I just hope if he decides to go he leaves us with a nice piece of crystal as a souvenir to remember him by tomorrow night!:D

soonerfanlv
1/7/2009, 08:26 PM
They would have tried to find another qb had they thought he was gonna go pro

Who would have tried to find another QB? :confused:

olevetonahill
1/7/2009, 08:30 PM
Who would have tried to find another QB? :confused:

The OU Coaching Staff would Be My Guess :rolleyes:
I hope Landry is all that hes Cracked up to Be .But when Its Not Proven you want all you can get to Challenge for the Job .

Boomer Mooner
1/7/2009, 08:33 PM
If he stays it should be to enjoy another year of college ball, not for a degree. Hell, I even left school for several years and came back to get an engineering degree. And my reason was too much partying and whoring to be serious enough for a degree.

Sam has a chance to do so many things the vast majority will never ever get a sniff of and I sure wouldn't fault him if he goes for it.

Hope he stays though.:D

soonerloyal
1/7/2009, 08:34 PM
In other news:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/usmcholmans/Posting%20Joke%20Photos/Dewey.jpg

olevetonahill
1/7/2009, 08:38 PM
In other news:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/usmcholmans/Posting%20Joke%20Photos/Dewey.jpg

Allsome , Hows Our Boys doing ?;)

Partial Qualifier
1/7/2009, 08:48 PM
Why did this need a seperate thread? :confused:

Dan Thompson
1/7/2009, 08:50 PM
Sam has said a couple of times that he will be back next year.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2009, 08:51 PM
If Sam really enjoys the college experience, he should stay another year. Once he leaves, it would never be the same to go back. An insurance policy would make sure he gets a large chunk of change in the case of injury. Not 1st round money, but probably more than any of us.

Curly Bill
1/7/2009, 08:55 PM
I enjoyed college...

...I did not enjoy college enough to turn down multi-millions to enjoy another year of it.

Curly Bill
1/7/2009, 08:57 PM
Sam has said a couple of times that he will be back next year.

What else would you have him say in the middle of a season? He said the same thing everyone that left early before him have said.

Boomer38Sooner
1/7/2009, 08:58 PM
Okay, so this insurrance deal...does that mean he is staying or leaving?

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/7/2009, 09:13 PM
If I was him I would already have bought the insurance also....I mean he's already worth so much even before the NCG.....the insurance could also be for if .........not even gonna think it

OK2LA
1/7/2009, 09:21 PM
Could be it's not.

Bradford's purchased an insurance policy, according to Jimbo Elrod.

http://www.windmilltilting.com/coachbo/bradford-insured/

No offense, but wtf is tilting @ the windmill?

I have a hard time believing some of the "news-worthy" information that comes off of this board -

pappy
1/7/2009, 09:26 PM
I'm from ardmore where Jermaine Gresham is from and I heard lastnight that when they got to leave for christmas break before going back to practice that Jermaine was at a party in Ardmore and was telling people that both he and sam would be back next season...I'm hoping its true.

BudSooner
1/7/2009, 09:37 PM
Bradford+ AD +Vikings D + Decent OLINE= complete domination.

I remember back in the day when Randall Cunningham/John Randle/Randall McDaniel, Chris Carter and Robert Smith had a pretty good defensive line that year, it was 1998....yep...they lost to the PATHETIC ATL Falcons.
Who were smoked by Denver.
And they had the most explosive offense known to man, until the "Greatest Show on Turd..I mean Turf" came around.

Minnesota will never be worth a ****, they have a retard for an owner and a half assed coach. AD is the only thing worth a damn on that team at the moment, **** poor WR's, a tight end who can't hold onto his **** let alone the ball and ****ty blocking. Yeah, ****ty blocking, if they did the job the way it was supposed to be then AD would be the most feared RB in the league.

But he won't be until the asshats in charge get a GM worth his salt to run the operation while the owner counts his money and grins for the camera.

Minnesota=Tampa Bay=Dallas=Houston=Kansas City=Washington.

OklahomaTuba
1/7/2009, 10:05 PM
I think this is BS. Just a way to add a distraction before the game.

goingoneight
1/7/2009, 10:16 PM
Sam loves OU. I know you hear that a lot, but remember who he is. He's not some hot-shot five-star recruit out of Hollywood who planned on winning four MNCs ala Clausen/Bomar/whathaveyou...

This guy grew up a huge Sooner fan, only ever dreaming he'd get just an autograph from Bob Stoops. If not for OU's summer camps, Chuck Long might have scoffed at Bradford's senior year numbers and never offered.

Instead, he worked his butt off and knew just enough people within the program to get a good look from Stoops and Long. They didn't care about numbers, the guy had something they just liked and felt that after four years of Bomar, they might have something.

Anyone who knows Sam, his family and his story knows leaving OU would be a very emotional thing for him, and certainly not something he'd just tell some crooked journalist off the record.

Can Sam leave and make big money this year? Absolutely... but he could also have a lackluster workout and go all Reggie Smith, and never really heard of again. Sam's a smart kid whose family isn't hurting for money, but they're not rich. They'll treat it as an investment in Sam's future and believe me... the likes of John Holcomb and Dean Blevins won't know Jack Schitt until after Sam's press conference the day he leaves... no matter how much them and their buddies Traber and Eschback stick their chests out bragging about predicting or "covering the story" first.

OK2LA
1/7/2009, 10:17 PM
Tubas are a distraction

RacerX
1/7/2009, 10:35 PM
Cheerleaders are a distraction.

TXBOOMER
1/7/2009, 10:42 PM
Sam is a Sooner football player with a freaking heisman trophy. He needs a degree about as much as Bill Gates needs one. I hope he stays as much as anyone does but either way, he is in the money.

SoonerMom2
1/8/2009, 01:03 AM
Money isn't the end all for some people. Enjoying their college experience while being able to lead the Sooners one more year may mean more to Sam Bradford then leaving early for the NFL which is a cold place especially if drafted by the Lions.

Little Al
1/8/2009, 03:36 AM
I agree. I'm not so sure ANY college QB wants to be a Lion next year...

IMHO

olevetonahill
1/8/2009, 05:45 AM
Yall are STUPID , Sam will do whats Best fer Sam .;)
IF he comes Back Next year Or Goes Pro .
God Bless and Thank you Sam.:cool:

OU_Sooners75
1/8/2009, 06:19 AM
I know this is not the same position...

But remember Willis McGahee (SP?) of Miami U?

Well, didn't he get hurt and still got on an NFL roster?

My point...Injuries occur. If he took an insurance policy out on himself..then he is insuring that he will get paid cash in case of injury before making millions in the NFL.

And if he does get injured, that is no way saying he still could not go to the NFL and succeed. Look at Aikman for example. He broke his freaking leg before going to UCLA...Last time I looked, he did pretty damn well in the NFL.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/8/2009, 09:40 AM
Not that they won't be back in the early draft mix next year, but even if it meant maybe a couple million dollars (if he were to have a so-so year next year due to the o-line losses) and be drafted later in the first round but by a better organization than the Lions, would that be worth it? He'll still be making millions. I wonder what the advice would be from people like Scott Boras. Maybe he would tell him to come out now and he would advise the Lions (and Raiders) that Sam is simply not going to play for them and force them to work out a draft day trade.

In any event, best wishes to Sam in whatever he chooses.

evergreen1310
1/8/2009, 09:55 AM
I hate it, but I think he's long gone after this game.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but there's a new cap on 1st round draft picks that starts after this next draft. It will cost him millions and millions regardless of whether he comes back to OU and has a killer year.

I hope to God he stays, but with most of that kickass O-line leaving, the 2010 rookie salary cap, and the fact that if we win tonight, there will be absolutely no place he can go but down, I just don't see him staying. -- I hope he loves OU enough to stay

tator
1/8/2009, 09:59 AM
Truthfully, I would be more surprised if he stayed than if he went. Draft placement has as much to do with how "hot" you currently are as how talented you actually are. It would be very difficult for him to repeat another performance like he gave for the Sooners this season. I don't believe his draft "worth" could be any higher than it is right now.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/8/2009, 09:59 AM
I hate it, but I think he's long gone after this game.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but there's a new cap on 1st round draft picks that starts after this next draft. It will cost him millions and millions regardless of whether he comes back to OU and has a killer year.

I hope to God he stays, but with most of that kickass O-line leaving, the 2010 rookie salary cap, and the fact that if we win tonight, there will be absolutely no place he can go but down, I just don't see him staying. -- I hope he loves OU enough to stay

I thought Roger Godell just recently said there was nothing changing until AFTER the 2010 draft, which is the last year of the current collective bargaining agreement... I'll try to dig it up....

SoonerMom2
1/8/2009, 10:00 AM
There is no 2010 rookie salary cap according to the NFL Commissioner which has been posted on this board.

tator
1/8/2009, 10:02 AM
There is no 2010 rookie salary cap according to the NFL Commissioner which has been posted on this board.
I was under the impression that this was just under discussion. And has been for several years.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/8/2009, 10:05 AM
I am sure he will go and I hope he gets rich doing it. His line will graduate this year. This is his best chance for success. Next year our QB will be running for his life.

GO OU!!! TODAY IS THE DAY!!!

evergreen1310
1/8/2009, 10:05 AM

my bad if I'm wrong on that. I live up in Dallas and heard Norm Hitzkis on the ticket (Sports radio station) talking about it last week. He's a draft nerd, and he was still talking about it, so I assumed he was right. -- I blame it on the MEDIA!

soonerboy_odanorth
1/8/2009, 12:05 PM
Next year our QB will be running for his life.

Disagree in part. If Trent Williams is back, (and I think he will be in that if he enters the draft this year he will have to fight for draft position with his very own current teammates), when you consider Brian Simmons has both starting experience and rotates in regularly and Cory Brandon has some starting experience and a lot of PT and even Habern has had some good PT this year, that's not a bad core to start with. Add into the mix that from what I've heard they are still very high on Stephenson, and the word I've heard on Alex Williams and Good is that they could be a couple of monsters. And then we've also added JUCO Jeff Vinson at 6-6 348. And don't underestimate either Brodie's or Jermain's contributions in blocking.

That is to say, we have depth and talent returning. Will it be quite as good as this years line? Probably not, because a line this good is a great rarity for any program at any time. Do we need to hope next year's line gels fairly quickly? Yes. And as always we'll need for those guys to be healthy. But if (and it's always an if) those two things happen we'll be in good shape.

And maybe it's the talent he has had on hand, but at this point I trust James Patton. I get the impression he knows what he is doing.

(P.S. Some of whether the QB has to run for his life of course will depend on how quickly he gets rid of the ball and if our receivers are running precise routes to create quick separation. If it's Sam, I'm not too concerned. If Landry, then yes, there will be a learning curve that might have him scrambling early in the season.)

Jason White's Third Knee
1/8/2009, 12:17 PM
Disagree in part. If Trent Williams is back, (and I think he will be in that if he enters the draft this year he will have to fight for draft position with his very own current teammates), when you consider Brian Simmons has both starting experience and rotates in regularly and Cory Brandon has some starting experience and a lot of PT and even Habern has had some good PT this year, that's not a bad core to start with. Add into the mix that from what I've heard they are still very high on Stephenson, and the word I've heard on Alex Williams and Good is that they could be a couple of monsters. And then we've also added JUCO Jeff Vinson at 6-6 348. And don't underestimate either Brodie's or Jermain's contributions in blocking.

That is to say, we have depth and talent returning. Will it be quite as good as this years line? Probably not, because a line this good is a great rarity for any program at any time. Do we need to hope next year's line gels fairly quickly? Yes. And as always we'll need for those guys to be healthy. But if (and it's always an if) those two things happen we'll be in good shape.

And maybe it's the talent he has had on hand, but at this point I trust James Patton. I get the impression he knows what he is doing.

(P.S. Some of whether the QB has to run for his life of course will depend on how quickly he gets rid of the ball and if our receivers are running precise routes to create quick separation. If it's Sam, I'm not too concerned. If Landry, then yes, there will be a learning curve that might have him scrambling early in the season.)

We'll be ok. I don't doubt that. But even great jucos aren't a cure (see last year). Those guys will need seasoning. The difference between an 18 yo lineman and a 21 yo lineman is night and day. Playing against maniac D-1 lineman is not something you can replicate ouside of doing it.

Look at what happened to Colt McCoy last year. His All World line graduated. Quick release or not, he was in a sophomore slump according to many. A lot of people predicted that for Sammy. Not with the line we have now.

If he stays, his production will drop. I just don't see any justification for his staying. He's a beast. I love him. I want him to succeed. And that's why he should leave now.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/8/2009, 12:26 PM
After this season anything is gonna be a drop in production.....It's been historic afterall!!!