PDA

View Full Version : Life after Sam...

8timechamps
1/7/2009, 12:18 PM
Since I can't think about tomorrow's game anymore (without losing it on anyone within 10 feet of me), I am going to change the subject.

IF we win the title game, I can't honsestly imagine Sam staying for his junior season. After winning the Big XII, the Heisman and then the national title, there really wouldn't me much left for him to accomplish.

I suppose he could pull a Tebow and stick around, but I think that had more to do with what the Gators had coming back this year. With us losing a big chunk of the O-Line and Sam's favorite target (Joaquin), I really wouldn't blame him.

Also, with the whole rookie salary cap/contract issues in the NFL, it makes much more financial sense for him to go out while the gettin' is good.

I kinda feel like next year is going to be a "reloading" (not rebuilding) year for our offense anyway (I think the defense can't go anywhere but up). So, who would take over under center if Sam does leave? I can't say that I've really followed any of our QB's (except Halzle) since Nichol left. I learned yesterday (via ESPN) that we have another sophomore QB named Nimmo (which many of you already know), and that we've landed Drew Allen, but don't know much about him. And there's also Landry Jones. Again, I haven't followed any of our QB development.

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/7/2009, 12:25 PM
As far as I know, if Sam leaves, Landry will probably get the starting nod, all things considered. Nimmo is a walk-on, and probably one of those capable scout-team guys that works hard in practice but won't ever be more than an emergency-type in game situations. Don't know very much about Drew Allen, but Jones has been in the system a year, and our coaching staff seems to be pretty good with preparing RS Freshmen to start.

8timechamps
1/7/2009, 12:28 PM
As far as I know, if Sam leaves, Landry will probably get the starting nod, all things considered. Nimmo is a walk-on, and probably one of those capable scout-team guys that works hard in practice but won't ever be more than an emergency-type in game situations. Don't know very much about Drew Allen, but Jones has been in the system a year, and our coaching staff seems to be pretty good with preparing RS Freshmen to start.

Good info/news.

I remember Landry beeing a "decently" sought after recruit. He can carry the OU QB-Heisman torch.

boomermagic
1/7/2009, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately we will lose Sam this year { I have no doubts about this} Landry will be a good one in time, As good as Sam ? Probably not but a very good one anyway..

IBleedCrimson
1/7/2009, 01:11 PM
im just happy we were privileged enough have such an unselfish talented kid like sam on our team. if anything stoops and co have proven, its that we can recruit and coach quarterbacks. jason white, sammy, heupel, thompson....