PDA

View Full Version : Chris Brown picking up the Sooners.

Bosley
1/7/2009, 10:45 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/sports/ncaafootball/07oklahoma.html?ref=ncaafootball

The NYTs have been writing a lot on Oklahoma as of late.

Oklahoma Back Likes Picking Up the Team

Article Tools Sponsored By
By THAYER EVANS
Published: January 6, 2009

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Chris Brown has been picking up his teammates since high school.

Chris Brown leads the Sooners in rushing, with 1,110 yards, and touchdowns, with 21.

When Alexandria (La.) Senior High School’s top two tailbacks were hurt midway through the 2002 season, Coach Butch Stoker called up Brown from the freshmen team. The move was significant because it was the first and only time in Stoker’s 42-year career that he played a freshman.

Brown, future star, still diligently put away tackling dummies, water jugs and footballs after each practice, and did so even as a senior.

“We always knew that we had someone really special,” Stoker, who retired from coaching in 2007, said recently in a telephone interview.

Oklahoma Coach Bob Stoops knew that, too. He did not hesitate to put the freshman Brown in the starting lineup for two games (both victories) in 2006 when Adrian Peterson and Allen Patrick, future N.F.L. running backs, were injured. In one game, Brown rushed for 169 yards and a touchdown on 24 carries against Baylor.

Brown, 5 feet 11 inches and 210 pounds, has started only one game this season, but the Sooners (12-1) will turn to him again Thursday night against Florida (12-1) in the Bowl Championship Series title game. The Gators’ rush defense is ranked 15th in the Football Bowl Subdivision, surrendering 105.3 yards a game.

He will replace DeMarco Murray, who sustained a hamstring injury in the Big 12 championship game. Although Murray was a first-team All-Big 12 pick, Brown, an honorable-mention selection, leads Oklahoma in rushing (1,110 yards) and touchdowns (21).

Since Oklahoma’s loss to Texas in October, Brown has averaged 109.7 yards a game and 6.34 yards a carry. Yet he is so often overlooked that Stoops makes it a point to trumpet his praises.

“Look at everything that he does,” Stoops said recently in a telephone interview. “He takes care of the football. He gets the tough yards. The guy has always done a great job for us and has been very consistent and productive.”

Some critics say Brown lacks breakaway speed, but he does not seem to care. After all, he once described himself as more Robin than Batman.

Brown’s mother, Bridgett Williams, said that her son did not like to boast his own achievements. “He always likes to give somebody else the credit or the praise,” she said Tuesday in a telephone interview.

Brown began compiling an impressive résumé in high school, when he won back-to-back state track titles in the 300-meter hurdles and one in the 110 hurdles. He also rushed for 1,685 yards and 22 touchdowns as a senior behind an average offensive line.

“He’s always going to break the first tackle,” Stoker said. “You can leave one or two defenders unblocked, and it’s still going to happen.”

Yet in Oklahoma’s 2006 recruiting class, Murray overshadowed Brown.

“I wasn’t very talked about,” Brown said.

Stoker said he had some reservations about Brown’s attending Oklahoma. He was worried that Brown would not get a chance to excel in a backfield loaded with N.F.L. talent.

“He’s obviously not afraid of competition,” Stoker said. “I thought he should go somewhere that didn’t have near as many running backs.”

But Brown did not shy from competition. Last season, he was part of a rotation with Patrick and Murray but still rushed for 611 yards and 9 touchdowns on 158 carries.

“We’ve always been confident in Chris,” the Oklahoma senior offensive left tackle Phil Loadholt said. “He can definitely take care of the job.”

After Murray was injured on the opening kickoff of the Big 12 championship game, Brown made his first start and rushed for 122 yards and 3 touchdowns against Missouri.

“He’s an outstanding player,” Missouri Coach Gary Pinkel said in a telephone interview. “I don’t want to disrespect Murray by saying they won’t miss a beat, but this guy is very good. He’ll do a fine job.”

Off the field, Brown and Murray are virtually inseparable. Like brothers, they crack jokes about each other, play video games and attend parties together.

“They both really pull for each other,” Stoops said. “If one comes out and the other guy gets a touchdown, you truly don’t ever get a sense that it matters to either one of them. That’s how good of friends they are.”

Murray’s injury has weighed on Brown. Murray also missed last year’s Fiesta Bowl loss to West Virginia because of a knee injury.

“He’s always going to be in the back of my mind,” Brown said. “It’s sad.”

Yet even with the biggest game of his life looming, Brown has encouraged Murray and kept him upbeat. He would like nothing more than honoring his friend by winning a national title.

“I picture things in my mind before I try to go accomplish it,” Brown said. “This is one of those things.”

And just another example of Brown picking up his teammates.

pappy
1/7/2009, 10:58 AM
thats a good article.

FlatheadSooner
1/7/2009, 12:50 PM
Just another example of how this year's OU team is full of "good peoples"........... and I think that will make all the difference.

Hello Number 8!
:)

tommieharris91
1/7/2009, 12:58 PM
That same writer is the guy who wrote that article about Jamarkus McFarland's recruiting.

sooneredaco
1/7/2009, 01:11 PM
I strongly feel that I'm right when I say that, unlike the NFL, in college the character of the player really matters. This team is full of guys who obviously have the talent needed to get the job done, however it does not stop there. This week it seems like everytime I read an artcle on one of OUr players it speaks of his humility and how be puts the team above his individual talents. This team is special. They have had a business approach all week, for the most part have kept the words to a minimum. I'm feeling more and more confident as the hours go by hay we are on the cusp of landing number 8! Boomer Sooner!