PDA

View Full Version : Anger gives Sooners an edge...

OklahomaTuba
1/7/2009, 09:47 AM
From a Florida sports writer...

I've seen this look before.

Eyes filled with disdain. Words bitten off through gritted teeth. Anger exposed in flared nostrils.

I've seen it before.

I saw it two years ago. From the Florida Gators. Just before they beat -- and, yes, it was a beating -- Ohio State for the national championship.

Now I'm seeing it again.

From the Oklahoma Sooners.

I'm not surprised.

All this past month, people asked me who I thought would win the BCS National Championship Game. Mostly it was Gator fans asking, expecting to hear validations for what their orange-and-blue hearts were telling them.

"Oklahoma," I'd say.

Oklahoma? Why?

"Because Oklahoma is going to be angry," I'd say. "Real angry. And at the college level, you can't buy that kind of motivation."

The Sooners heard a lot of things during the break. Mostly negative. They heard they have a junior college defense, playing in a conference full of inferior defenses. They heard that while their quarterback, Sam Bradford, won the Heisman Trophy, it is really Florida's Tim Tebow who is college football's most valuable and most outstanding player. They heard that their head coach, Bob Stoops, is no longer "Big Game Bob." And they heard that while they're ranked number one, oddsmakers say the Gators will win.

Yeah, they heard a lot.

And they're angry.

It makes a difference. Just ask Florida head coach Urban Meyer. I know, because I did.

"It's much easier to coach an angry team," Meyer told me. "I'm sure they're very motivated. I'm sure their coaches are playing that lack-of-respect card. I know I did two years ago."

Oh, did he ever.

In Arizona two years ago, Meyer had a mobile bulletin board built. Some reports have it at 25 feet. He had it strategically placed where his team would see it daily, often several times a day. It was filled with newspaper and magazine headlines, clippings, various and sundry stories extolling the Buckeyes and maligning the Gators.

Some weren't even true.

"Half of it was real and half of it was made up," Meyer says in his authorized biography, Urban's Way. "And the half that was made up I signed 'Kirk Herbstreit of ESPN.' "

Two years ago, Meyer also got a copy of Lindy's magazine previewing the BCS Championship Game. The magazine had page after page after page of nothing but Ohio State photos and text. In the entire magazine, only two pages were devoted to the Gators.

Meyer carried the magazine almost everywhere with him, even during practices, sparing no opportunity to note to his players the abject lack of respect they were getting.

It worked.

All of it worked.

By the time the game arrived, Meyer didn't even need to deliver his team a pregame pep talk. He describes the scene leaving the locker room before playing Ohio State as if he were letting loose caged animals.

"It's easier to coach an angry team," Meyer said again. "It's harder to coach a team that's satisfied. You want to coach a team that feels like it has something to prove."

The fact that Meyer understands this, and understands the edge Oklahoma's coaching staff is no doubt tapping into, bodes well for the Gators. Meyer is no dummy. He knows he has to reach deeper into his bag of motivational tricks to counteract a team he understands has more justification for anger.

A team that has something to prove.

"It helps," Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops said, when I asked him if it's been easy to motivate his team, what with so many people discrediting them. "You see it in their focus, their practice, their preparation."

Is he playing the lack-of-respect card?

Stoops eyes twinkled. He showed a hint of a smile.

"Oh, you know," he said, "maybe."

Riiiight.

You just need to listen to Oklahoma's players to know that not only is the lack-of-respect card being played, it just might prove to be this game's trump card.

You can hear it in the players' voices. Like Nic Harris' voice. Oklahoma's defensive back was asked all the same questions.about the Sooners' suspect defense, about their quarterback who won a prestigious award many people feel UF's quarterback was more deserving to get, about Oklahoma's recent spate of bowl losses, about oddsmakers not buying into their number one ranking.

Harris gritted his teeth, flared his nostrils, bit off his words in short, choppy replies. His message? Watch. Just watch.

"We can settle everything we need to settle Thursday, Jan. 8 at 8 p.m.," Harris said. "People can talk all they want. We'll see."

Motivated?

"We'll take care of what we need to take care of between the hashes," Harris added.

From other Oklahoma players, it's been the same reaction.

It is why you're hearing Oklahoma players describe Tim Tebow as nothing more than the fourth best quarterback if he played in their conference, the Big 12. They're fed up with hearing about Tebow. They're fed up with hearing about Florida. They're fed up with hearing that what they accomplished this season was built on inferior football.

They're fed up.

"There's nothing like an angry team," Meyer said.

Nothing.

Contact Kerasotis at [email protected]
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090107/COLUMNISTS0306/901070315/1065/SPORTS

sooner518
1/7/2009, 10:00 AM
OMG LETS KICK SOME GATOR ASSSSSS!!!!!!!!! cool article

OUDoc
1/7/2009, 10:07 AM
http://z.about.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/b/E/big_gator.jpg

bri
1/7/2009, 10:07 AM
Jenni?

Is that?

You?

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/7/2009, 10:08 AM
"Half of it was real and half of it was made up," Meyer says in his authorized biography, Urban's Way. "And the half that was made up I signed 'Kirk Herbstreit of ESPN.' "

:D

pappy
1/7/2009, 10:44 AM
thats awesome! lets go play pissed off football!!

cheezyq
1/7/2009, 10:46 AM
Funny thing is that Stoops won't have to "stoop" to making stuff up. The UF players have been all-too-eager to provide the material.

Knippz
1/7/2009, 10:47 AM
I....CAN'T....WAIT!!!

FirstandGoal
1/7/2009, 11:01 AM
What I don't get is that Meyer admitted to making stuff up.

I kinda hope that he does show them the part about Nic being really pizzed and then follows that up with some film of Nic in the TT game. It scared me just reading about it and I'm a Sooner fan.

Hope Nic doesn't actually go out and kill somebody tomorrow :eek:

OklahomaTuba
1/7/2009, 11:04 AM
Mack makes up big-12 south championships and national championships, so why not????

FirstandGoal
1/7/2009, 11:10 AM
Anybody else getting the impression that our D is like a pack of wild animals just waiting to be released so they can run down the field and stomp a hole in anything wearing a Gator uni?

Redshirt
1/7/2009, 11:18 AM
What I don't get is that Meyer admitted to making stuff up.

The story quotes Meyer's unauthorized biography.

StoopTroup
1/7/2009, 12:03 PM
Hey Gators....this one is what you call a "Trap Game".

Go ahead and bet the house against a Schooner being tattooed on your belly if you want....but don't be sad if your getting laser treatments after Tim is long gone.

YWIA

ST

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/7/2009, 12:05 PM
BOOMER!!!!

OUDoc
1/7/2009, 12:10 PM
When we turn our helmets around, it's like a switch....
and we can't see.

4everagator
1/7/2009, 12:16 PM
Think Gators win by about 2 scores. Have fun being angry, should be a great matchup!

StoopTroup
1/7/2009, 12:19 PM
Think Gators win by about 2 scores. Have fun being angry, should be a great matchup!

If I were you...I'd stay away from to much color but if you want this one is a nice one.

http://students.ou.edu/P/Jade.E.Prather-1/schooner.jpg

TahoeSOONER
1/7/2009, 12:19 PM
I hope they're playing with a chip on their shoulder but ready to have some fun at the same time. Much like 2000.

Sideline to sideline boys!

BOOMER!

sooneredaco
1/7/2009, 12:29 PM
BOOMER!!!!

SOONER!!!!!

OUDoc
1/7/2009, 01:06 PM

Reality Oklahoma by 2 scores.

4everagator
1/7/2009, 01:35 PM
Reality Oklahoma by 2 scores.We have seen the reality of Big 12 Offenses in the Bowl Games played thus far i.e.: TT, Texas and Okie State. My prediction of UF winning by 2 scores is conservative, it could get ugly but I suspect if it does we will see more 2nd and 3rd stringers coming in so it shouldn't be that bad in the end.

BetterSoonerThanLater
1/7/2009, 01:47 PM
i'm ready to kick some a##, i'm all hopped up on mountain dew!

Socrefbek
1/7/2009, 01:48 PM
The story quotes Meyer's unauthorized biography.

No "un" that I see.:confused:

PalmBeachSooner
1/7/2009, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=FirstandGoal;2554571]What I don't get is that Meyer admitted to making stuff up. QUOTE]

What Urban was saying is that half of the stuff that was written or said was made up by the person(s) writing or saying it. He didn't make it up.

OUDoc
1/7/2009, 02:23 PM
We have seen the reality of Big 12 Offenses in the Bowl Games played thus far i.e.: TT, Texas and Okie State. My prediction of UF winning by 2 scores is conservative, it could get ugly but I suspect if it does we will see more 2nd and 3rd stringers coming in so it shouldn't be that bad in the end.
And we saw Bama get bitch-slapped.
What does that have to do with anything?

OklahomaTuba
1/7/2009, 02:31 PM
We have seen the reality of Big 12 Offenses in the Bowl Games played thus far i.e.: TT, Texas and Okie State. My prediction of UF winning by 2 scores is conservative, it could get ugly but I suspect if it does we will see more 2nd and 3rd stringers coming in so it shouldn't be that bad in the end.

We have seen, but FU hasn't played anything near a big 12 offense that will be ready to play.

I mean, only one offense in the top 40 ALL YEAR LONG????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Landthief 1972
1/7/2009, 02:34 PM

Yeah, terrible offenses:

Graham Harrell: 36/58, 364 yards passing, 4 TDs
Colt McCoy: 41/58, 414 yards passing
Zac Robinson: 27/50, 329 passing WITH A SEPARATED SHOULDER

Let's not forget KU's Ressing went 27/35, 313 yards passing, 4 TDs.

TT scored 34 points on the team that beat Florida (which is more points than Florida scored against Ole Miss).

OSU scored 31 points with their best RB, best WR and their QB all injured.

Kansas scored 42 points.

Texas pulled their heads out of their *** and scored 21 points in the second half.

The only Big XII offense not playing up to snuff was Mizzou. Now, if you want to talk about the defenses play, that's a whole 'nother ball game.

GKeeper316
1/7/2009, 03:45 PM
ive been saying it since the BCS match-ups were announced.... this game will be over by halftime.

sooners roll.

BOOMER!

Bccajun
1/7/2009, 04:19 PM
Sounds like the 2000 game.

Recall the comment to Weinke about taking our boys trophy. Forgot who said it, but it was during the coin toss.

BOOMER

GKeeper316
1/7/2009, 04:21 PM
Sounds like the 2000 game.

Recall the comment to Weinke about taking our boys trophy. Forgot who said it, but it was during the coin toss.

BOOMER

that was torrence marshall

Soonersince57
1/7/2009, 04:35 PM
Why does Meyer have a biography? Isn't like like having a greatest hits CD after 1 gold record?

cjames317
1/7/2009, 06:17 PM
Not just anger, but "great vengeance and furious anger."

SteelCitySooner
1/7/2009, 06:24 PM
"Watch...Just watch.."

BASSooner
1/7/2009, 06:32 PM
I think the last time OUr team got angry was against tech. am i right?

Okie35
1/7/2009, 06:35 PM

and south carolina that had the number 1 defense in the sec @ one point in the season...

budbarrybob
1/7/2009, 06:57 PM
Not just anger, but "great vengeance and furious anger."

I love Pulp Fiction references :D

Dan Thompson
1/7/2009, 07:08 PM
We're not doomed? There really is hope? I feel a little better now.

crawfish
1/7/2009, 07:12 PM

You will come back by after you lose, won't you? :)

BigUgly
1/7/2009, 07:30 PM

Pards,

Have you ever confronted a cornered dog? One so pissed off his eyes are nothing more than a window to his fire-breathing soul? He's staring you down, begging you to come at him. He's got 2 gallons of drool hanging from his jowls and is so unconcerned with the present situation he doesn't care what the **** happens to him or his well being.

I got news for ya. His tail ain't waggin'.

This team, this staff, the HMFIC is one big, bad *** collection of pissed off dogs. You, your fans, your coach and your team are the darlings of the world. Led by Saint Tebow who can do no wrong.

Are you so sure?

I wasn't sure what to think of this game until yesterday afternoon but I'm on it now.

It's not the talent, it's not the speed. You got plenty of that.

We may not jump on ya early, but it's comin'. And by the middle of the second quarter, we'll have you tied to the tallest tree in South Florida. Jermaine Gresham is gonna cut a hole in your stomach and pull out your living guts. Drag 'em out in a nice long line and then go about his bidness.

It won't take long for the fear to set in. It won't take long for G-Mac, Travis and the rest of the much-maligned, Big XII defense to smell you out and feed on you from there. Right up to that painful hole in your gut.

Oh, you'll see it comin'. You'll feel it too. And there's not a thing, not one thing, you can do about it.

Go ahead and diss us some more.

We're all looking for a great game. I hope you enjoy it.

Sooners 38, Fla 20

BOOMER!!!!

47Wins
1/7/2009, 08:18 PM
I want the team to go out and play like they are possessed. No smack, not a word, just knock the snot out of them, smile and go line up to do it again. Show them how the "bluest of bluebloods" play football.

Ban One Sooner
1/7/2009, 09:02 PM

AND we saw them get hammered by a team with way less talent than ours in a stadium where they should have held a decided attendance advantage, basically equating to a home game.

I'm so wound up about this game I can't focus on anything else. I'm about to go outside and tackle a car or head butt a telephone pole.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/7/2009, 09:25 PM
Lets just hope that we can keep our heads together and not commit any stupid extra curricular activities after plays!!

bri
1/7/2009, 10:32 PM
At this point, I'm almost resolved to us taking a handful of 15-yarders. The key is, can we do a better job of overcoming them than we did in October?

ouwasp
1/7/2009, 11:11 PM
hello bri, my ol' hometown friend...

I don't know that anger is all that as fuel; witness the '03 Bedlam game.

Focus, and playing for each other...a Band of Brothers approach.

Tomorrow is D-Day.

Toronto Sooner
1/7/2009, 11:22 PM
At this point, I'm almost resolved to us taking a handful of 15-yarders. The key is, can we do a better job of overcoming them than we did in October?

Wasn't that the game where T. Lewis got 2 separate personal foul (15 yard calls)? That was the worst refereeing job I have ever seen. Travis didn't hit Colt McCoy at all, on either of the plays. Travis eased up and grabbed onto Colt to try to keep him from falling - on both occasions (it was so obvious). Meanwhile, Colt diving to the ground was an award winning acting job - he should try acting after he leaves school. Nevertheless, it was clearly obvious what was happening (on both plays, even to the naked eye). Those were game changing (critical) plays. The NCAA should seriously consider making certain plays (especially like that) reviewing and challengeable.

bri
1/7/2009, 11:42 PM
There's no doubt that most of the personal fouls we get against Texas were BS. And I have no doubt that there's gonna be some BS personal fouls called tomorrow night. Don't forget, the refs have been reading the same stories about all the woofing and smack talking that we have. They know we're p*ssed, and they're gonna be watching our defenders like hawks. That's the handful of 15-yarders I was referring to.

As much as it sucks, we have to know it's coming and be able to rise above it.

bri
1/7/2009, 11:45 PM
hello bri, my ol' hometown friend...

I don't know that anger is all that as fuel; witness the '03 OU-OSU game.

It's tackling fuel!

uGPYYnA6UD8

sooner2b09
1/8/2009, 12:03 AM
I want the team to go out and play like they are possessed. No smack, not a word, just knock the snot out of them, smile and go line up to do it again. Show them how the "bluest of bluebloods" play football.

Like in the '96 Nebraska Florida MNC game, when Tommy Frazier by the end of the game was saying "We are running this off the right tackle so you better move if you don't want to get hurt."