PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Fans, I beg of you: RESPECT THE JINX!

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 02:15 AM
People, we're getting close to game time. Now is the time that we start building up or losing good mojo for the game. It's important that we all

RESPECT THE JINX!!!

Be careful what you say and write. You don't have to go so far as to try to force the jinx on Florida by fake-praising the Gators about how good they are (it won't work anyway) but there's certainly no need to invite the jinx on OU by dismissing all the praise being heaped on the Gators. Every time someone says something great about the Gators, just smile as you imagine our friend Jinx making a transfer from the Florida good mojo account to the Florida bad mojo account. And every time someone says something bad about OU, it's a deposit in our good mojo account. And if it's a Gator fan that says it, Jinx will withdraw good mojo from Florida and deposit it into our good mojo account...a double whammy for the Gators!

The last thing you need to do is anything that would put mojo into our bad mojo account or into the Florida good mojo account. Look what happened to Mack Brown when he spoke during the OU/OSU game. A whole steaming pile of bad mojo in UT's account (yes, Jinx is what put Gresham behind Manny on that tipped pass). What happens when Tebow acts smug about his Heisman vote? You guessed it...Jinx dropped a load of bad mojo on Tim. Take heed, Sooner fans! It's better to suffer through two days of biting your tongue than a lifetime of wondering "What if..."

So remember, RESPECT THE JINX!!!

Start now and don't quit until the game is over. This goes double for all of you posting in the game thread. No lead is safe! The moment we get ahead of the Gators and begin mocking them is the moment they hit us with a hook-and-lateral and a Statue of Liberty play to win it.

Yeah. It sucks to even think about, huh? Just imagine how bad it'll suck if you're the reason it happens.

RESPECT THE JINX!!!

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2009, 02:26 AM
Yeah...I see what you're saying...

But man...it's hard with all these gatorbaiters on here and on tv and wandering into my job...

I'll let the Schooner pic be my only Jinxer then...

But man...I SOOOOO wanna eat me some fried gator...

And rape their women...

And smack tebow in the head with my tebone...

heh...

Jesus Wept!

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 02:28 AM
Sure it's hard. But so is practice. Our players are sacrificing for you, sacrifice a little for the players and all the other Sooner fans.

Good things come to those who don't jinx it.

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 02:45 AM
Here are just a few examples of the jinx in action from this season...

Troy v. LSU (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124542)

"Missouri is going to kill OSU!!! (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122045)

Guess who lost their #1 ranking less than two weeks later, thanks in part to uncharacteristic offsides penalties against our defense, a season-ending injury to one of our players and a bad call in the endzone. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121379)

The jinx is not something to be messed around with. RESPECT IT!

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2009, 02:45 AM
Sure it's hard. But so is practice. Our players are sacrificing for you, sacrifice a little for the players and all the other Sooner fans.

Good things come to those who don't jinx it.

The entire post was meant as satire...

I pretty much think the real worry is the fans, but I DO know the pain of talking out my azz and having it bite back.

That said...We're gonna whoop 'em! lol

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2009, 02:46 AM
Here are just a few examples of the jinx in action from this season...

Click here for Troy v. LSU

"Missouri is going to kill OSU!!!

Guess who lost their #1 ranking less than two weeks later.

Yeah, but we're invincible and all that shat!

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 02:49 AM
The entire post was meant as satire...

As powerful as Jinx is, he doesn't have a very good satire/sarcasm detector. No sense in accidentally sending some good mojo Florida's way just for a few laughs.

StoopTroup
1/7/2009, 03:45 AM
Tebow pissed Jinx off.

Just thought you outta know.

YWIA

ST

GG84
1/7/2009, 04:01 AM
True story, what fans say on internet message boards can directly effect what happens in football games.

StoopTroup
1/7/2009, 04:05 AM
True story, what fans say on internet message boards can directly effect what happens in football games.

Then phlorida must be really ****ed.

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2009, 04:19 AM
As powerful as Jinx is, he doesn't have a very good satire/sarcasm detector. No sense in accidentally sending some good mojo Florida's way just for a few laughs.

Yeah, Maybe, but Phuck Phlorida anyway...I can say that win or lose and not feel bad!

It's in the Book of Mormon:

But behold, there shall be phucktards -- at that day when I shall proceed to do a marvelous jinx among them, that I may remember my Soonerhood, which I have made unto the children of gaytors, that I may set my hand again the second time to recover my trophy, which are of the house of Norman

OU4LIFE
1/7/2009, 08:38 AM
I'm telling you, we are DOOMED.

you'll see.

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 10:18 AM
It's 9:18 a.m. Are you respecting the jinx?

texas bandman
1/7/2009, 11:03 AM
My stomach has been tied up in knots for a month dreading another loss in a BCS game. I'm certainly going to respect "jinx" and his little brother "hex", and his big sister "kiss of death".

StoopTroup
1/7/2009, 11:21 AM
That's what you get for living in Lubbock. That kind of thinking is something they have done down there for a long long time. You may need a vacation.

Miami is nice this time of year. I'd call a travel agent. NOW!

soonerboomer93
1/7/2009, 11:22 AM
It's 10:15

I did a couple things yesterday to disrespect the jinx, but it's only slightly beyond the usual banter I get from the horns here at the jobsite.

Partial Qualifier
1/7/2009, 11:25 AM
Nice post TopDawg.

Though I don't know why it's necessary -- because the Florida Gators are going to kick OU's asses up and down the field tomorrow night.

Booyah. :D

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 11:41 AM
They truly are a world-class team. Their only loss came against an Ole Miss team that we just saw destroy the co-champs of our division. Florida's speed and intensity is going to be hard to adjust to...I just hope our guys are up to it.

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 11:45 AM
I did a couple things yesterday to disrespect the jinx, but it's only slightly beyond the usual banter I get from the horns here at the jobsite.

You mean the usual banter that ended up jinxing them out of a Heisman trophy and Big XII Conference Championship Game berth? Blake Gideon has your co-workers to thank for Jinx making that easy interception fall harmlessly to the turf.

Readyfor8
1/7/2009, 02:05 PM
TTT, The jinx must be respected. Being negative or sarcastic is bad JuJu. You may not believe it, but how often have the teams that are claimed to be one of the best all time fallen the very next game? The media has a darling and that darling is touted and pumped up only to have a longer way to fall. The biggest lopsided pick in the BCS fell when Alabama lost to Utah, too many discounted Utah's abilities. Sure some times favorites win, but few times when they have a month of bad karma riding on one game.

LSU 2003, USC 2004, Texas 2005, Florida 2006, you need only look at the lines prior to the game to see who was the favorite and who was touted as the best team all time before the game, only to have cast the team they played against to sunders.

The Florida Gators are a great team and they will play a great game on Thursday January 8th, 2009. I just hope we play a better game on that day.

texas bandman
1/7/2009, 03:16 PM
That's what you get for living in Lubbock. That kind of thinking is something they have done down there for a long long time. You may need a vacation.

Miami is nice this time of year. I'd call a travel agent. NOW!

I'd certainly like to, but I'd have to take my wife. She only got her Masters from OU so she never went to any OU games. I took her to her first one at the Fiesta Bowl when we played Boise State. Then thinking that that was an aberration, I took her to the OU-Tech game last year and watch our dreams of a MNC go down the drain. I know that she's watched OU wins on TV so I'm not messing with the mojo.
I could go alone, but then I would be divorced and the market for old broken down tuba players is not good. :D

StoopTroup
1/7/2009, 03:33 PM
I hear ya TB. I'll scream extra lOUd for ya!

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 03:38 PM
I took her to her first one at the Fiesta Bowl when we played Boise State. Then thinking that that was an aberration, I took her to the OU-Tech game last year and watch our dreams of a MNC go down the drain. I know that she's watched OU wins on TV so I'm not messing with the mojo.

This brings a tear to my eye. I just hope everybody else can be as selfless as you and your wife are being. I think too many people are spoiled and they just think national championships happen. It takes a lot of hard work by the coaches and players and a lot of careful jinx-avoidance by the fans. Way to keep up your end of the bargain!

Jdog
1/7/2009, 05:20 PM
I have been to two Orange Bowls to see OU win NC's. I've gone to see them win in the Cotton and Rose bowls. I've missed their last 4 BCS games. I've gone to see them win 4 B-12 title games - didn't see them lose to KSU. I won't be in Miami tomorrow. bummer.
So I will Jinx FLA by saying that they will win 47 - 28. Thats all I got - hope it works.
Boomer Sooner

Readyfor8
1/7/2009, 05:43 PM
I have only been to 3 Texas OU games in my life 97, 05, 06. Can anyone guess why I didn't go this year? As a matter of fact any time a member of my immediate family has attended the game we have lost. Needless to say we are banned from attending games in the Cotton Bowl.

My brother is going tomorrow, he doesn't believe in the Jinx, I will work extra hard to hope his plane has difficulty reaching Miami. Preferably on the ground.

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 05:57 PM
It's 4:57 p.m. Are you respecting the jinx?

Just about 30 more hours, people. You can do it!

Readyfor8
1/7/2009, 09:19 PM
Jinx, it ain't just a cartoon cat... Seriously...

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/8/2009, 09:16 AM
Which reminds me...

...are the horsepigs going to be there? Because we ain't been right since the day they sprouted from a turd seed.

4LIFE, can we please put them on your DIAF list before the game? Just to make sure?

OU4LIFE
1/8/2009, 09:26 AM
fo sizzle.

DIE IN A FIRE! (http://bfcfgof.com/ou4ldiafl/)

UberSooner
1/8/2009, 09:26 AM
I always thought Tebow looked like Brendan Frazier in School Ties. Is that Jinx neutral?

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/8/2009, 09:27 AM
fo sizzle.

DIE IN A FIRE! (http://bfcfgof.com/ou4ldiafl/)

You're a good man.

A good hairy man.

abOUtwinning
1/8/2009, 09:51 AM
I like this analysis...

So the whorns and tOSU must have had almost the same amount of good mojo, but the whorns bank had a few cents more on the positive side...
I'm just sayin...

TopDawg
1/8/2009, 10:32 AM
Well, let's stay realistic here. The jinx is powerful, but it can only do so much. By most accounts, Texas was a huge favorite in that game. The fact that they had to come from behind on a last-minute TD drive makes me think that they had a whole lot of bad mojo goin on.

I bet what happened is that a bunch of Ohio State fans started talkin trash after they took the lead and forced the jinx back into action, taking some of the Buckeye good mojo and putting it into the Texas account. Result: TD Texas.

soonerboomer93
1/8/2009, 10:34 AM
so i got the trash talk e-mail from my horn co-worker yesterday (who went to A&M).

I told him straight up, that I fell asleep at halftime of their bowl game. (and pointed out they won in the last minute).

rock
1/8/2009, 10:58 AM
What jinx is more powerful?

Being a favorite by 3 points OR being the Heisman winner in the BCS championship game?

TopDawg
1/8/2009, 11:14 AM
Good question. See, it's not the fact that one team is a 3-point favorite or that one team has a Heisman winner that makes it a jinx, it's how people respond to those facts that makes a jinx.

TopDawg
1/8/2009, 11:15 AM
Good question. See, it's not the fact that one team is a 3-point favorite or that one team has a Heisman winner that makes it a jinx, it's how people respond to those facts that makes a jinx.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/8/2009, 11:42 AM
I don't have a DVR, but I did get a dvd recorder for Christmas in 2006.

The first game I fired it up for - Boise State.

I was so scared after that, I didn't fire it up in 2007 until that fateful night - in Lubbock.

This year, to get the jinx off, I fired it up for some chippies like UW and Baylor, and I was so confident I fired it up for - texass.

Do you think there's any way I'm firing that thing up tonight? NOOOOOOOOOOO Way, Bubba!

TopDawg
1/8/2009, 12:03 PM
Good for you! This is what I like to see.

Readyfor8
1/8/2009, 12:15 PM
The Jinx is strong with our opponent, meanwhile our team has people like Juaquin, and Sam who stay out of the fray and just want to play the game. The Jinx is real, and he gets pissy when overconfident reptiles spew crap on other fans boards.

May the Mojo be with you!

delhalew
1/8/2009, 12:39 PM
Jinx respected. I have agreed to go out on a job and watch from a hotel room, because I was watching from work in 2000. So I will be on the clock for my Sooners.

Boomer!

TopDawg
1/8/2009, 02:50 PM
It's 1:50 p.m. Are you respecting the jinx?

We're nearing crunch time. Don't blow it now!

TopDawg
1/8/2009, 04:57 PM
It's 3:57 p.m. Are you respecting the jinx?

I'm about to sign off...I need some of you to help spread the word. Once the game starts, it's like the Lightning Round...jinx points are doubled. Jinx doesn't just stop at kickoff...no, he's just getting started. The things you say during the game can have a huge impact on the good and bad mojo on each side. Be careful!

Sacrifice a few laughs or the thrill of having everyone around you know how incredibly observant you are. Better to have a few non-gratifying moments during the game and a crystal football than to get some laughs or admiration during the game and NO crystal football.

GO SOONERS!

SoonerBacker
1/8/2009, 05:11 PM
I am respecting the Jinx. I came straight home from work, changed in to the clothes I wore to the Tceh game (yes, down to drawers/socks), and then went and got the same meal I ate at Oklahoma Memorial Union before the Tceh game. I ate right after work so that it would be the same number of hours before kickoff as it was in Norman that day.

BTW, I have heard that if the Jinx seems to be working against us, it helps to offer a beer sacrifice (pouring one down the drain) to appease him. Is it true that this sacrificial offering helps? I was also told that it did not need to be a premium beer, just a Busch or something along those lines.

Readyfor8
1/8/2009, 05:47 PM
Remember No Lead is safe, respect goes a long way to appeasing the Jinx. Plus Jinx is a great word in scrabble.

TopDawg
1/9/2009, 11:06 AM
I would like to thank all of you who helped respect the jinx. I heard a very unsettling story yesterday at work about a sister of a co-worker who was attending the game despite the fact that every bowl game and OU/Texas game (more than 10 all together) that she's been to we've lost. Just like the game on the field, respecting the jinx is a team effort. I thank all of you who did your part in an effort to overcome the sadistic selfishness of some of the rest of our fan base. In the end, I guess we just have too many fans who don't get it.

TUSooner
1/9/2009, 11:09 AM
This thread proves beyond all doubt that it is bad luck to be superstitious.