PDA

View Full Version : The last team I saw this confident before a National Championship game....

Readyfor8
1/6/2009, 10:13 PM
... was OU 2004-5, before that Florida St. Florida doesn't expect a game they expect a cake walk. They could be right but I think they are wrong.

I even saw some dumas on gatorcountry trying to make a 25,000 dollar bet or a tattoo of the other teams mascot on the losers belly. :rolleyes:

Is it just me or is overconfidence combined with being relatively new on the scene of college sports equal some of the most annoying fans you have ever witnessed? KSU, FSU, UF, Miami in the 80's. You would think these guys have 20 championships the way they talk.

IronSoonerMan
1/6/2009, 10:51 PM
Exactly!

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/6/2009, 10:55 PM
They do just ask Bama!!!

StoopTroup
1/6/2009, 10:59 PM
I hope they beat phlorida so bad they cry.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2009, 11:01 PM
I even saw some dumas on gatorcountry trying to make a 25,000 dollar bet or a tattoo of the other teams mascot on the losers belly.

Where was that a-hole when vet was offering up a grand?

StoopTroup
1/6/2009, 11:03 PM
Tattooing a Bucknut on his belly?

DominoMaximo
1/6/2009, 11:05 PM
Only fans I like in SEC country are Arkansas, Alabama, and Auburn and it is not because they all start with A's.

I know this is kind of getting off the topic but a poster lead me into it. I would rank the fans in the SEC from worst to greatest in this order.

1. LSU - Horrible fans
2. Tennessee
3. Florida
4. South Carolina
5. Georgia
6. Ole Miss
7. Kentucky
8. Miss State
9. Vanderbilt
10. Auburn
11. Alabama
12. Arkansas - Great fans

wishbonesooner
1/6/2009, 11:53 PM
All these gaturds on this board and others talk about how OU should be scared of what is coming. Who do these morons think they're playing? Do they not know we've been playing these games for more than 50 years? Do you think they're covering their fear of going against one of the REAL big boys?

sozo
1/7/2009, 12:22 AM
Only fans I like in SEC country are Arkansas, Alabama, and Auburn and it is not because they all start with A's.

I know this is kind of getting off the topic but a poster lead me into it. I would rank the fans in the SEC from worst to greatest in this order.

1. LSU - Horrible fans
2. Tennessee
3. Florida
4. South Carolina
5. Georgia
6. Ole Miss
7. Kentucky
8. Miss State
9. Vanderbilt
10. Auburn
11. Alabama
12. Arkansas - Great fans

With all due respect I bet you don't live close to the AR border.

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 01:58 AM
... was OU 2004-5, before that Florida St.

I'd throw 2001-02 Miami in between those two.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/7/2009, 02:02 AM
I'd throw 2001-02 Miami in between those two.

Don't you mean the 2002-03 CoCanes?

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 02:18 AM
Oops. Yeah. I do.

I forgot they beat Nebraska the year before.

Readyfor8
1/7/2009, 02:16 PM
I don't know if the Hurricanes were this over-confident I remember a lot of chest thumping by ESPN that a Big10 school made their first National Championship game in a long time.

SoonR4Life
1/7/2009, 02:24 PM
Does anyone know the history of the underdog teams winning in the national title game?

Typically does the team that talked the most trash lose?

I know about some of the most recent OU appearances, but I was just curious on the track record of these instances.

RedstickSooner
1/7/2009, 02:31 PM
I even saw some dumas on gatorcountry trying to make a 25,000 dollar bet or a tattoo of the other teams mascot on the losers belly. :rolleyes:

That bet don't seem fair. Me, I'd waaaaaaaaaay rather have some retarded alligator tattooed on the tummy than have a horsepig tattooed there :)

Readyfor8
1/7/2009, 02:35 PM
Oklahoma is the underdog, this year.

Past favorites:
LSU (WON)
tOSU (LOST)

(Those are technically the only BCS National Championship Games: Before that they rotated)

USC (LOST)
OU (LOST) (If I remember correctly)
OU (LOST)
Miami (LOST)
Miami (WON)
Florida St. (LOST)
Florida St. (WON) (Gets a little Hazy around here)
Tennessee (WON)

StoopTroup
1/7/2009, 02:40 PM
Well....for $25,000 in risk he gets this whole scene depicted across his enitre belly. It's abOUt 14" wide and 8" high. A true Landscape of the Oklahoma Land Run. :D

http://www.pearlok.com/images/prod_ou_wagon_2x4_sm.jpg

SoonR4Life
1/7/2009, 03:09 PM

Past favorites:
LSU (WON)
tOSU (LOST)

(Those are technically the only BCS National Championship Games: Before that they rotated)

USC (LOST)
OU (LOST)
Miami (LOST)
Miami (WON)
Florida St. (LOST)
Tennessee (WON)

Thanks for the reply!

I like OUr chances:)

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/7/2009, 03:09 PM

Past favorites:
LSU (WON)
tOSU (LOST)

USC (LOST)
OU (LOST)
Miami (LOST)
Miami (WON)
Florida St. (LOST)
Tennessee (WON)

Since it's TGWWDNSO, the following conversation never happened:

We were favored in the 2005 Orange Bowl? I don't remember that at all. I remember being cocky and overconfident (mostly because of JW being healthy for this bowl, and because none of our opponents saw AD coming all year long), but I certainly don't remember being favored. That USC team was loaded, and I recall that pretty much everyone knew that.

Readyfor8
1/7/2009, 03:20 PM
If we weren't favored it was a real close line I remember it being a pickem before the game and OU was up by 1 point or something like that.

TopDawg
1/7/2009, 03:24 PM
I don't know if the Hurricanes were this over-confident I remember a lot of chest thumping by ESPN that a Big10 school made their first National Championship game in a long time.

Hmmm...maybe. I just remember that Miami was riding a 34 game winning streak and everyone thought Ohio State was over rated because they kept on barely winning close games. Five of their last six games were all one-possession wins and it was practically a miracle that they escaped Purdue that year.

I don't recall if the Canes were doing much chest-thumping, but I find it hard to believe they weren't. C'mon...they're the Canes. They thump their chests every chance they get.

Readyfor8
1/7/2009, 03:45 PM
Hmmm...maybe. I just remember that Miami was riding a 34 game winning streak and everyone thought Ohio State was over rated because they kept on barely winning close games. Five of their last six games were all one-possession wins and it was practically a miracle that they escaped Purdue that year.

I don't recall if the Canes were doing much chest-thumping, but I find it hard to believe they weren't. C'mon...they're the Canes. They thump their chests every chance they get.

It's true, the Canes do like to thump chests... But it just didn't remind me of being overconfident, now that I think about it I would put it up there with 2005-6 USC, those dudes were confident to the max. They were about to be the greatest team of all time win "3" titles, and beat the win streak record, until Vince Young.

OUAlumni1990
1/7/2009, 04:14 PM
Is it just me or is overconfidence combined with being relatively new on the scene of college sports equal some of the most annoying fans you have ever witnessed? KSU, FSU, UF, Miami in the 80's. You would think these guys have 20 championships the way they talk.

EXACTLY. Kinda reminds me of all these horn fans down here who started watching football in 2005. They have no clue about OU's history and all the NC's we have which trumps their trophy cabinet all day and everyday, 24/7/365. They don't even have a clue...

JLEW1818
1/7/2009, 04:37 PM
only 1 more day of this stuff....

sooner94
1/7/2009, 04:45 PM
If we weren't favored it was a real close line I remember it being a pickem before the game and OU was up by 1 point or something like that.

That's the way I remember it. I think SUC was a 1 or 2 point fave until the day of the game, then it flipped to OU as the fave with all the late $$$ on us.

Seems like more dogs than faves have won the BCS title game.

sooner94
1/7/2009, 04:48 PM

That's the way I remember it. I think SUC was a 1 or 2 point fave until the day of the game, then it flipped to OU as the fave with all the late $$$ on us.

Seems like more dogs than faves have won the BCS title game.

SoonerBoognish
1/7/2009, 05:08 PM
Didn't both Miami and USC lose in the title game while going for their 35th straight win? Not that this really applies to this year, but i remember it being an odd coincidence.