PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Offense - Bowl observations

L-Boy
1/6/2009, 10:12 PM
I'll refrain from an inflammatory "chicken or egg" thread title this time. ;)

As I have said before, trying to see trends in bowl games and extrapolate anything from them is a fairly futile activity, but I am not above exercises in futility, so here we go.

We all know, and Gators fans continually reminded, of OU and Big 12 offense productivity. Then this whole circular argument of is it great O or average D, etc etc.

During quite a few of the bowl games, some of the Big 12 teams have not been as productive, at least in terms of scoring. Statistically they have, but it has not equated to quite as many points.

TX 486 yds, but only 24 pts
TT 469 yds, "only" 34 pts
OSU 469 yds, 31 pts
MO - won the game with 30 pts
NB - won the game with 26 pts
KS - won 42 pts

Don't get me wrong, those are good point totals by any objective measure, but in some cases they weren't quite up to their regular season in conference performances.

My hope is that this is what happens with OU. They WILL move the ball and gain yds, but maybe UF can keep them out of the end zone enough such that they will trade TD's for FG's, and win something along the lines of the Ole Miss or Oregon wins.

Thoughts?

TXBOOMER
1/6/2009, 10:18 PM
How much is a gallon of gas in China?

5thYearSooner
1/6/2009, 10:28 PM

As I have said before, trying to see trends in bowl games and extrapolate anything from them is a fairly futile activity, but I am not above exercises in futility, so here we go.

We all know, and Gators fans continually reminded, of OU and Big 12 offense productivity. Then this whole circular argument of is it great O or average D, etc etc.

During quite a few of the bowl games, some of the Big 12 teams have not been as productive, at least in terms of scoring. Statistically they have, but it has not equated to quite as many points.

OSU 469 yds, 31 pts
KS - won 42 pts

Don't get me wrong, those are good point totals by any objective measure, but in some cases they weren't quite up to their regular season in conference performances.

My hope is that this is what happens with OU. They WILL move the ball and gain yds, but maybe UF can keep them out of the end zone enough such that they will trade TD's for FG's, and win something along the lines of the Ole Miss or Oregon wins.

Thoughts?

What r the yardage stats for MO,NB,KS....?

DominoMaximo
1/6/2009, 10:56 PM

OSU 469 yds, 31 pts
KS - won 42 pts

Thoughts?

I for one do not put too much stock in bowl games. I always hear game to game comparisons never work so why should conference comparisons in bowl games? If it worked the Pac-10 would obviously be the best conference... right? All that being said I couldn't wait till an SEC fan would post something like this, because all we have heard is how the BIG XII cannot play defense. It is amazing how these defenses can play when they don't have to play a top 25 offense. Outside of Texas Tech and OSU the BIG XII played defense when they needed to. I think comparing the SEC and BIG XII conference is like comparing apples and oranges, it is different styles of playing football whether one is better than the other is very subjective.

For example

Missouri won the game with 30 points... this tells me they didn't give up 30 plus... probably because they weren't playing a BIG XII offense?

Texas won with 24 points.... probably because they weren't playing a BIG XII offense? Keep in mind Okie State held Texas to 28 points in Austin.

Nebraska won with 26 points.... probably because they weren't playing a BIG XII offense?

Wow so this tells me when the BIG XII plays a different style of football they can adjust to their opponents. Compare how many points these teams gave up in conference compared to out of conference.

As for Texas Tech, that is the most points Ole Miss has given up all season, and if you watched Tech all year I can tell you they were not the same team after Oklahoma scolded them for trying to be like Oklahoma.

Oregon, was more or less another BIG XII team as their offense ranked in the top 10.

My hope is that the gator fans, coaches, and media do these cute comparisons and say... the BIG XII offenses were not all that... but guess what they sure did know how to play defense to win those games with 30 points or less.

SoonerInFla
1/7/2009, 02:01 AM
Another thing to consider as far is point production is the extra days off these offenses have. It's not unusual for point production to drop off.

I'm not gonna go dig up the OU red-zone stats but the TD - FG ratio in the red zone is incredible.