PDA

View Full Version : Nice Article on Sam Bradford: "Simply Sam"

SoonerBacker
1/6/2009, 09:13 PM
Simply Sam
By Jason King, Yahoo! Sports
4 hours, 40 minutes ago

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – The best quarterback in college football plays the cello. Sam Bradford is also a scratch golfer – and, oh yeah, he’s part Indian.

Unfortunately, that about does it, folks.

All week long, reporters have tried to uncover sexy story angles about Oklahoma’s Heisman-winning quarterback. Unless something changes between now and Thursday’s clash with Florida, the most interesting thing we’ll know about Bradford is that he wears the same pair of socks each game.

“Actually,” said Bradford, in a rare attempt at humor, “these days they’re more like pieces of thread.”

Riveting.

“Sam’s not a real complicated guy,” Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said. “He’s very unassuming. He loves football – but not always all of the attention that comes along with it.”

Bradford might not relish the spotlight – but he’s getting used to it. He has no choice.

As if playing quarterback at tradition-rich Oklahoma wasn’t enough, Bradford is now preparing for one of the most anticipated national championship games in recent memory. Against Florida’s Tim Tebow, the inconspicuous Bradford will be facing one of the most hyped, gushed-about QBs in recent memory.

Bradford is the man, but Tebow is The Man – the media darling who speaks in churches, counsels prisoners and circumcises children on mission trips to the Philippines. Tebow won the Heisman in 2007, although he’s not viewed as the same caliber of pro prospect as Bradford, who could end up as the No. 1 pick in this spring’s NFL draft should he choose to leave Oklahoma after his sophomore season.

“Some people want to turn this game into battle of the quarterbacks,” Sooners receiver Juaquin Iglesias said. “But Sam is not getting caught up in all of that. He’s a leader. His focus is on our team. I think he’ll handle things just fine.”

The Sooners have come to expect nothing less of Bradford, who arrived in Norman in 2006 with hardly any fanfare. He might not have even ended up at Oklahoma had he not first been offered a scholarship by Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, who’s known to have an eye for quarterbacks.

Once Leach made his offer, Bradford’s high school coach phoned the Sooners and told them Bradford – who played just down the road at Putnam City North High School – might be headed for Lubbock. That prompted former offensive coordinator Chuck Long to attend one of Bradford’s workouts during the spring after his junior year.

Even though Bradford was lacking in arm strength, Long loved his accuracy. He went back to Norman and told head coach Bob Stoops that Bradford needed to be a Sooner.

“OK,” Stoops told Long. “I believe you. I trust you.”

Still, at the time, no one could’ve predicted such greatness from a player whose high school didn’t even make the playoffs during his senior year. Long says now that Bradford was signed to “add depth” to a quarterback position that was supposed to be manned by Rhett Bomar.

Bomar, though, was kicked off the team prior to the 2006 season for accepting money for work he never performed at a local car dealership. Paul Thompson started under center in 2006 while Bradford redshirted. The following year Bradford emerged from a three-man race in August-two-a-days to become the Sooners’ starter.

He’s been one of the nation’s top players at his position ever since.

Bradford beat out last year’s Heisman winner Tim Tebow for the award this season.

“It’s amazing to sit back and look at how fast this has all happened,” Bradford said. “To think of where I was two years ago compared to now … it’s almost overwhelming.”

So, too, are Bradford’s numbers.

Bradford led the nation in pass efficiency as a freshman and has been even more spectacular this season. Bradford enters Thursday’s game touting 48 touchdown passes and just six interceptions. His 4,464 passing yards are a school record.

“He takes coaching as well as anyone when he doesn’t do well,” Wilson said. “He’s a guy you can coach and correct. He gets very upset when he misses something. He wants to get it right every single time. You’re never going to do that, of course. But he tries.”

As much as they appreciate his prowess on the field, the Sooners say Bradford’s best attribute is his demeanor off the field and in the huddle.

“Sometimes,” tailback Mossis Madu said, “you’ll look at him when he’s talking and think, ‘Man, he’s the guy. He’s the man.’

“We’re the same age, but I look up to him. He keeps evolving into something bigger and bigger. He takes his leadership role so seriously.”

As much as Bradford’s game has improved, the 6-foot-4, 214-pounder continues to stay the same. The day before he won the Heisman Trophy, Bradford walked through the streets of New York sporting a pair of shades and a baseball cap.

Not one person stopped him for an autograph.

“That was pretty cool,” he said. “Otherwise New York was kind of a whirlwind, but once I got back to Norman I just went back to my normal life. Nothing has really changed.”

It will, though.

Maybe as early as Thursday.

Readyfor8
1/6/2009, 09:51 PM
Not to brag, but he was on my radar. Although it was mostly because he went to P C North a freshman 2 years after I was a senior.

hgarmorer
1/6/2009, 10:22 PM
Good article, thanks for posting

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2009, 10:30 PM
As much as they appreciate his prowess on the field, the Sooners say Bradford’s best attribute is his demeanor off the field and in the huddle.

What is this "huddle" of which you speak ? :confused:

E-Town
1/6/2009, 10:41 PM
What is this "huddle" of which you speak ? :confused:

Funny!!

SoonerBacker
1/6/2009, 11:24 PM
Now, compare that article to this exercise in journalistc hyperbole on Saint Tebow!

Tom Dienhart
Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer

MIAMI - Look at Tim Tebow. Look at him!

He's 6 feet 3, 240 pounds of All-American dream, a larger-than-life icon whose presence makes the 2009 BCS Championship Game, well, a little larger than life.

So far in his career, Tim Tebow has always risen to the occasion on the big stage.
And for that, we thank you, Tim Tebow.

College football's biggest star gets to play on the game's biggest stage Thursday night at Dolphin Stadium. Whatever you do, don't miss it. Cherish this moment. Program your DVR. If you're stuck in the 1990s, dust off your VCR and videotape it.

This is Michael Jordan in the NBA Finals in 1993. This is Reggie Jackson in the 1977 World Series. This is Wayne Gretzky in the 1985 Stanley Cup Finals. This is Joe Montana in Super Bowl XXIV.

"I haven't been paying too much attention to any of the hype, watching too much TV at all," Tebow says. "I don't really care what it's about. All I know is that we're going to go out there and we're going to play our football and hopefully win. That's our goal, and I don't really care too much what the hype is about."

But you should. This will be one of those games featuring one of those players that your grandfather used to tell you about before he tucked you in bed. Only now, you will be able to tell your grandchildren about the day you watched Tebow in what could be the defining game of his career.

"I think he's a great player, a great player," Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables says. "All the accolades, the attention, the Heisman – it's all well-deserved. We don't sit and compare, but he's a much different animal than the other guys we've seen. He brings a physical presence, brings an emotional presence, brings the ability to execute in all the key situations.

"He doesn't flinch. That's what you love about him. He's a competitor."

And special, too. His "Superman" nickname doesn't do justice to Tebow, whose off-field actions dwarf his extraordinary on-field feats. This is a guy who goes on mission trips to the Philippines on spring break while peers are on a mission to get loaded in Daytona Beach.

Pinch yourself because it's all so wondrously true. Tebow seemingly has been transported from the black-and-white, "Leave It To Beaver" era. He's a gee-whiz kid with a body any Big Man On Campus would envy, and his skills have transformed the way the quarterback position is played. And he circumcises impoverished children when he gets a spare moment.
"He's one of those guys that's primo," Florida free safety Major Wright says. "He does everything right. He's one of those guys that's just a leader on and off the field. He helps you on and off the field. … He kind of leads the Bible study, study groups, anything. Tebow is that guy."

That's just who Tebow is. A living, breathing, real-life role model who really cares for something bigger than himself. What a novel idea. Charles Barkley has to hate this guy.

Tebow knows the visible platform that his athletic skills have given him. Now, it's up to us to be like Tebow and grasp at least some of the selfless attitudes that dominate his life. Stuff like we aren't on this planet to see how many fancy cars we can drive, how big of a house we can buy or how much money we can make. In the end, it's Tebow's good deeds off the field that will be his legacy. But it's his funky jump touchdown passes and bulldozing runs that will have us mesmerized Thursday night.

"You look at the physical presence of him and all of that," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops says. "He's a great player."

No doubt, Stoops' defense has cooked up some special schemes not to stop Tebow – that can't be done – but to try to neutralize him. There will be confounding blitzes from unexpected places, pass coverages dressed in disguise that aim to confuse.

Can Tebow feel the pressure?

"Pressure is not having to win a football game; pressure is having to find your next meal," Tebow says. "From being in a lot of places that I've been with my dad and on mission trips, you kind of find out what true pressure is and what just is a game. Even though we love it so much, football is still just a game.

"A lot of people bleed over it and love it, and I'm one of those people. But at the end of the day, I know what's more important, and football is not more important than life and pressure is definitely not football. So I think when you can put that in perspective, I think it really gives you a much better outlook."

And it gives us a whole lot to watch – and remember. For that, we thank you, Tim Tebow.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Novamanxl
1/7/2009, 03:37 AM
No doubt, Stoops' defense has cooked up some special schemes not to stop Tebow – that can't be done – but to try to neutralize him.

Are you serious!!??

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2009, 04:39 AM
About the Tebow article....So he has always preformed great on the Big Stage?

LMFAO AT THIS BS!

Tebow failed to "will" his team to victory 5 times as a starter. He failed to carry his team to victory in the capitol one bowl last year.

Tebow is good option QB with an above average arm. The game film and games I have watched of him, he is nothing out of the ordinary. He better than his lucky stars that he has players like Harvin and Demps and Rainey surrounding him.

IMHO....Tebow relishes the spotlight...he wants it. That is all he cares about. Reminds me a lot of Chrissy Simms and Weinke.

Crucifax Autumn
1/7/2009, 05:05 AM
Big Stage...So he's an actor! Poonanny!

SoonerAtKU
1/7/2009, 08:09 AM
Tebow was a change-up option on a national championship team. Not a starter. If you want to play that game, then Jason White technically won a Heisman and a championship. Tebow was involved, but so were the towel boys.

tbl
1/7/2009, 08:19 AM
Long says now that Bradford was signed to “add depth” to a quarterback position that was supposed to be manned by Rhett Bomar. Bomar, though, was kicked off the team prior to the 2006 season for accepting money for work he never performed at a local car dealership.

If there were ever anything I might be willing to thank the Lord for when it comes to sports, that could be it.

tbl
1/7/2009, 08:24 AM
Tebow was a change-up option on a national championship team. Not a starter. If you want to play that game, then Jason White technically won a Heisman and a championship. Tebow was involved, but so were the towel boys.

Actually, he was a factor in that game. He scored 1 passing TD and 1 rushing TD and had some rushing yards as well. Not quite a towel boy. Let's not try to play down his ability just b/c everybody else is going so over the top. He's a formidable opponent.

SoonerAtKU
1/7/2009, 08:49 AM
Tebow was the equivalent of the 3rd down back in the NFL. A change of pace guy in a situational capacity. Of course he had an impact, and I was being facetious suggesting that he was a glorified towel boy.

adoniijahsooner
1/7/2009, 09:14 AM
If there were ever anything I might be willing to thank the Lord for when it comes to sports, that could be it.

+1