PDA

View Full Version : OU-BYU in Dallas finalized.....

Salt City Sooner
1/6/2009, 06:23 PM
PROVO, Utah (Jan. 6, 2009) — BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe today announced the 2009 football nonconference schedule has been finalized. The Cougars will face Oklahoma, Florida State, Tulane and Utah State next season in addition to its yet-to-be-announced Mountain West Conference schedule.

“We are excited about our nonconference schedule for next season,” Holmoe said. “There were several teams involved in making things work out and we appreciate all those who worked hard to make it happen. The home schedule should be one of the best in school history. In addition to perennial football power Florida State, fans will enjoy home games with in-state rivals Utah and Utah State as well as TCU, Colorado State and Air Force in conference.”

BYU will start the 2009 season on Sept. 5 against currently No. 1-ranked Oklahoma in a historic game being played at the Dallas Cowboys new stadium in Arlington, Texas. As two of only seven teams to win 10 or more games each of the last three seasons, the Cougars and Sooners will be featured in the first college game played in the new stadium. The Labor Day weekend contest will kick off in primetime and be televised on ABC or ESPN as part of the second annual ESPN Kickoff Week presented by Gillette.

“We appreciate the unique opportunity of being part of the first college game played in the new home of the Dallas Cowboys,” BYU head coach Bronco Mendenhall said. “Given the strong football traditions of Oklahoma, BYU and the Dallas Cowboys, it’s a fitting matchup and a perfect venue for what should be a great football game.”

The game — just the second meeting between BYU and Oklahoma — is the first in a five-year agreement between the Dallas Cowboys and ESPN to bring an outstanding college football game to the club’s new stadium each year during the Labor Day holiday weekend. The Cougars won the first contest against the Sooners, earning a 31-6 victory at the 1994 Copper Bowl in Tucson, Ariz.

After facing Oklahoma, the Cougars will travel to New Orleans to play at Tulane in the Louisiana Superdome on Sept. 12. The game will be broadcast to a national television audience on ESPN or ESPN2. BYU will then return home for its season opener against Florida State on Sept. 19. The final nonconference game is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 2, versus in-state rival Utah State. Television plans for the other nonconference games will be announced at a later date.

BYU and Tulane split the two prior meetings, with the Green Wave winning 41-27 in the 1998 Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tenn., and the Cougars evening the ledger with a 70-35 triumph at Provo in the Black Coaches Association Classic to open the 2001 season.

Florida State will make its first-ever visit to Provo. The Seminoles won the two previous contests against the Cougars with a 44-28 win at the 1991 Pigskin Classic in Anaheim, Calif., and a 29-3 victory in the 2000 Pigskin Classic in Jacksonville, Fla.

BYU and Utah State will meet for the 79th time in 2009. After their 34-14 win in 2008, the Cougars own a 42-33-3 advantage in the longtime series.

"This is a strong nonconference schedule with teams from the Big 12, ACC, Conference USA and the WAC," Mendenhall said. "We look forward to playing these games as we continue to work on improving our program and building on our past achievements.”

Since taking over a BYU program in 2005 that had not enjoyed a winning season since 2001, Mendenhall has guided BYU to four straight bowl invitations, two outright Mountain West Conference championships and consistent national top-25 rankings. In the past three seasons, BYU has posted a 32-7 overall record to become one of just seven teams in the nation to win 32 games during that timeframe, joining Boise State (35-4), Florida (34-6), Oklahoma (34-7), USC (34-5), Ohio State (33-5), and Texas (32-7).

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=11619

Bosley
1/6/2009, 06:33 PM
YAY! Let's find another reason to boost the Dallas economy!! Why dont we just play all our games in Dallas? Let's continue to find new ways to send our money South of the Red River....

JLEW1818
1/6/2009, 06:34 PM
Just seen in at the bottom of ESPN, its true

sept 5th

JLEW1818
1/6/2009, 06:35 PM
they will start out ranked, i like it

batonrougesooner
1/6/2009, 06:51 PM
I think it is a great idea. It will be a good time.

Crimson_Balls
1/6/2009, 06:51 PM
What's our non-con schedule in '09 besides the cougs?

oupride
1/6/2009, 06:53 PM
let's here it for byu!

JLEW1818
1/6/2009, 06:58 PM
What's our non-con schedule in '09 besides the cougs?

home game against tulsa, @ Miami

JLEW1818
1/6/2009, 06:59 PM
Damn we will be in Dallas 3 times...........byu game, RR, big12 Championship game

JLEW1818
1/6/2009, 07:18 PM
10/10 - Baylor
10/17 - Texas (Dallas)
10/24 - at Kansas
10/31 - Kansas State
11/07 - at Nebraska
11/14 - Texas A&M
11/21 - at Texas Tech
11/28 - OSU

2009 Non-Conference:
at Miami, Tulsa, BYU (dallas), (we will add another home game).

So it looks like

6 home games
4 road games
2 neutral games

hgarmorer
1/6/2009, 07:19 PM
At least they like to schedule strong OOC games. Looking forward to the game...already

OUHOMER
1/6/2009, 07:30 PM
YAY! Let's find another reason to boost the Dallas economy!! Why dont we just play all our games in Dallas? Let's continue to find new ways to send our money South of the Red River....

I think it's great. I dont live in Norman, So I don't see a direct impact of dollars spent whether it is in Dallas or Norman.

A fun little vacation

Hot Rod
1/6/2009, 07:31 PM
Damn we will be in Dallas 3 times...........byu game, RR, big12 Championship game

Does this mean we'll start chants of "neutral field", since playing on them more than any team?

Nah, let's not be like :texan:

Readyfor8
1/6/2009, 07:35 PM
My problem with this is the loss of another home game next year, will OU season ticket holders get tickets to Arlington for Labor Day? Will the season tickets be minus 85 dollars per ticket for the season with an option to buy the ticket through the University?

StoopTroup
1/6/2009, 07:36 PM
Quite the cream puff schedule. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
1/6/2009, 07:39 PM
My problem with this is the loss of another home game next year, will OU season ticket holders get tickets to Arlington for Labor Day? Will the season tickets be minus 85 dollars per ticket for the season with an option to buy the ticket through the University?

I would expect to know any of that until either announced, another Home Game is decided upon or you get your renewal in the mail in April.

Hope that clears thing up for you. :D

Dio
1/6/2009, 07:42 PM
Hell yes

yukonsooner
1/6/2009, 07:51 PM
Just made my hotel reservations. Holiday Inn Express about a mile from the stadium

OUHOMER
1/6/2009, 07:55 PM
Just made my hotel reservations. Holiday Inn Express about a mile from the stadium

I live in Mustang, pick me up on the way out of town:D

Bccajun
1/6/2009, 07:58 PM

I would bet Jones made this very interesting for OU and byu. I for one might make the 8 hour drive to the metroplex to enjoy this game.

Save me a parking spot

UteSooner
1/6/2009, 08:19 PM
I've been dreaming of this game happening. It will be fun to watch BYU open the season with a loss to OU, and then close the season with a loss to Utah (my 2 favorite teams).

4everasooner
1/6/2009, 08:36 PM
This is a good game, @Miami, byu in dallas, and then 2 should be wins. Will look better at the end of the season when it comes down to the almighty BCS.

JLEW1818
1/6/2009, 09:37 PM

might be.

we played 6 home games this year, and we will play 6 next year.

UTsucks
1/6/2009, 11:17 PM
Good........... club seats at Jerry world! Nice lounge to hang out in SWEET! I'm so there! :pop:

josh09
1/6/2009, 11:22 PM
I like this idea. Im gonna try to go, i cant wait to see that stadium.

bri
1/6/2009, 11:55 PM

You're right. It's silly to play a couple of games in the middle of our biggest, most hotly contested recruiting area. Also, the fact that Dallas has the biggest percentage of OU alums living there than anyplace else that doesn't end in ", OK" means nothing.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/7/2009, 12:14 AM
At least its not another Chatt.

goss8572
1/7/2009, 01:46 AM
The funniest thing about this to me is that Texas' new greatest stadium in the world is being christened by OU and not a Texas team! I love it!

bri
1/7/2009, 09:30 AM
Well, north Texas is south Oklahoma. :D

ouwapiti
1/7/2009, 10:12 AM
since the cowboys exhibit extreme suckage.....jerry needed OU to bail him out with about 50k seats sold !!!!!

Knippz
1/7/2009, 10:39 AM
I'll be there.

HateTheWhorns
1/7/2009, 11:18 AM

I only looked back to 1995, but for these 14 seasons we have averaged 6 homes games per year in Norman. Next year we will have six home games even with our "home game" away from home against BYU. Personally, I think it's great (as long as we don't make it an annual event).

flopshotjoe99
1/7/2009, 11:54 AM
can't wait. I don't mind the 2 1/2 hour drive to Norman on gameday, but I can't complain about the 15 minute drive to Arlington.:cool:

G8trGr8t
1/7/2009, 12:19 PM
What will your OL and QB situation look like next year?

BYU generally has older players due to their missions and this may end up being a tough game for a team that will be losing as much as OU does this year. Respect to OU for doing this though. Wish UF would add a good OOC game besides FSU (which is a blood rivalry so records, etc do not matter in that one)

8timechamps
1/7/2009, 12:26 PM
So, over the next 5 or 6 years, we have home and home series with:

Florida State
LSU (pending)
Tennessee
BYU
Notre Dame

I love it. Bring 'em on!

MI Sooner
1/7/2009, 12:41 PM
We don't have a home and home with BYU, right?

texas bandman
1/7/2009, 12:58 PM
can't wait. I don't mind the 2 1/2 hour drive to Norman on gameday, but I can't complain about the 15 minute drive to Arlington.:cool:

2 and 1/2 hours to Norman:rolleyes: Wat you driving so I can tell my state trooper brother-in-law. :D

Salt City Sooner
1/7/2009, 02:00 PM
So, over the next 5 or 6 years, we have home and home series with:

Florida State
LSU (pending)
Tennessee
BYU
Notre Dame

I love it. Bring 'em on!
Ohio St. as well.

JLEW1818
1/7/2009, 03:44 PM
Tickets should be reasonable, any predictions on prices

flopshotjoe99
1/7/2009, 04:13 PM
2 and 1/2 hours to Norman:rolleyes: Wat you driving so I can tell my state trooper brother-in-law. :D

how about less than 3 hours then.:P

cjames317
1/7/2009, 06:25 PM
Don't forget the 2009 Big 12 championship game will be down here too. Thanks Jerry!

bent rider
1/7/2009, 09:58 PM
Did Jerry build a parking lot big enough for a couple hunnerd Brigham Broughams?
http://www.greaterthings.com/Humor/Mormon_SUV.htm

TUSooner
1/7/2009, 10:19 PM
This is a strong nonconference schedule EXCEPT FOR TULANE, I MEAN, bwhahahahahahah
fixed :( :rolleyes:

PeoriaSooner
1/8/2009, 01:59 AM
I just hope the BYU girls throw leg half as easily as the Tx Tech girls do.

StoopTroup
9/5/2009, 08:14 PM
Note to Joe Castiglione: Never ever schedule an opener or any other game at jerry World.

StoopTroup
9/5/2009, 08:27 PM