just heard it on WWLS.

discuss.

:pop:

SoonerStormchaser
1/6/2009, 05:44 PM
Not a bad move

Redshirt
1/6/2009, 06:45 PM
That's one down, have they decided on the other 10 starters?

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2009, 06:49 PM
I wonder if we should read that as Box is not healthy.

oupride
1/6/2009, 06:49 PM
hope it works

swardboy
1/6/2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe our different adaptions since Reynolds was lost will all be used and drive the reptiles nuts....

Toronto Sooner
1/6/2009, 07:08 PM
Yeah, it only means we'll be even more dominating on run plays, as if having G. McCoy, A. Taylor, F. Alexander, J. Beal, A. English and T. Lewis weren't enough.

He will do fine on pass plays. He will likely get help from the other back 7 guys, when necessary. Plus, my guess is that Box will likely fill in on many of the pass plays, due to having more game experience. Naturally, my guess is that we will man MLB position by using a combo approach, with Mike being the centre piece (no pun intended).

Physically, from what I can see of the Miami practices (via video), Mike B. looks like a monster.

primetime43
1/6/2009, 07:13 PM
I think when Mike has played he has done well. I think he brings a little extra pop than Box does ala Lofton.

cheezyq
1/6/2009, 07:51 PM
Physically, from what I can see of the Miami practices (via video), Mike B. looks like a monster.

From what I've heard, that's never been his problem. His problem has been his grasp of the defense.

OU-HSV
1/6/2009, 08:04 PM
He's a big, athletic guy. This could quite possibly be an excellent decision since we need to lay some hits on Tebow when he takes off to run.

4everasooner
1/6/2009, 08:57 PM
He will be the "TEBOWNANATOR".

Okie35
1/6/2009, 09:07 PM
He's a big, athletic guy. This could quite possibly be an excellent decision since we need to lay some hits on Tebow when he takes off to run.

exactly why hes there...

Toronto Sooner
1/6/2009, 09:17 PM
From what I've heard, that's never been his problem. His problem has been his grasp of the defense.

Both Stoops and Venables says he has shown improvements, even as recent as from the Missouri game (where he held his on) to now.

GG84
1/6/2009, 09:19 PM
So... your third string MLB will be starting this football game and all of you agree it's a good thing.

I have to hand it to you guys, you can find the silver lining in anything.

OUinFLA
1/6/2009, 09:23 PM
yep, we've been finding silver linings for over half a century.

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2009, 09:23 PM
So... your third string MLB will be starting this football game and all of you agree it's a good thing.

Well if the 1st and 2nd string are hurt, then 3rd string must be better than 4th, no?

FirstandGoal
1/6/2009, 09:32 PM
Well if the 1st and 2nd string are hurt, then 3rd string must be better than 4th, no?

I seem to remember a game back in 1985 when one of our starters went out with a broken leg.

They guy who replaced him did just fine.

CrimsonJim
1/6/2009, 09:38 PM

You'd better hope our third string MLB doesn't get a clean shot at Teabone. The silver lining is we actually know something about this player and what he's capable of, whereas you are just jacking your jaw.

Toronto Sooner
1/6/2009, 09:50 PM

Actually gator, Mike B. would have been our 5th stringer, had Curtis not leave early for the NFL (where he is now a starter) and had Mike Reed not leave (and had remained in shape).

1) Curtis Lofton
2) Ryan Reynolds
3) Mike Reed
4) Austin Box
5) Mike Balogun

Any yes, we believe Mike B. will do a fine job, indeed. We happen to have recruiters with an eye for talent, we recruit players who want to win championships (and are willing to put the team first) and we have a program that allows these players to develop.

OKC-SLC
1/6/2009, 10:43 PM
yeah, i'd say Venables has managed to find/develop some decent players at the LB position.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/6/2009, 11:23 PM

Silver....that reminds me of the great Little Joe Washington :D
He had him some wheels

theresonly1OU
1/6/2009, 11:43 PM

Yeah, we tried to find an LB who had a brother doing life for 1st degree murder, but FU took the last one.

Guess we'll have to settle for one of the hardest hitting members of the sooner team to play right in front of TEBOW!(tm).

fadada1
1/6/2009, 11:57 PM

what's to grasp??

"son, do you see the guy with the ball?"

"yessir"

"well, go try to help the lad forget his own name."

Hotrod3157
1/7/2009, 12:04 AM
The size and athletic ability of Balogun aren't the questions. He is a big and fast guy just has had a hard time getting the mental part of the defense together. He is a big hitter, pretty much the first play in the game for the injured Box against OSU he lit up I believe it was a back catching a pass out of the backfield. As any OU supporter on this site will say, I would rather have Ryan or Austin on the field but I don't think Mike being on the field is cutting one of our legs off at the knee or anything. Maybe all of us should be a little more worried but for some reason I'm just not scared to death of him being in the game.

A Sooner in Texas
1/7/2009, 12:05 AM
I seem to remember a game back in 1985 when one of our starters went out with a broken leg.

Very fine indeed, as in national championship.

Third-string quality at OU is usually first-string quality on most teams.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2009, 12:12 AM

There's a wise, old saying :

"When life hands you gators, make gatorade out of the broken and crushed gators you've strewn across the field."

Or something like that. :P

texas bandman
1/7/2009, 12:14 AM

Yep, we won a national championship and the guy that broke his leg had a pretty decent football career also, although not at OU. We do have a tendency to be well stocked with great talent. Could it be the tradition?

OU-HSV
1/7/2009, 01:19 AM

Actually, let's cut to the chase and call it crystal lining.