PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Observations - Why I Believe Strongly OU Will Win

cheezyq
1/6/2009, 01:46 PM
Ok, so I'm just friggin' ready for this damn game already. To pass some of the time, I was just going over some statistics that I was curious about, and found some interesting talking points.

We all know that OU runs the hurry-up offense. The Sooner offense has executed 1036 offensive plays this season, for an average of 79.7 plays per game. OU has, therefore, faced 922 defensive plays this year, for an average of 70.9 plays per game.

By way of contrast, FU has executed 815 offensive plays for an average of 62.7 plays per game. FU has faced 811 defensive plays for an average of 62.4 plays per game.

What does that tell me about OU? Our defensive numbers are skewed because of the fact that we face so many plays on defense. Additionally, since we are usually far ahead, we face more passing plays than most teams do, and therefore give up more passing yards. This would lead me to believe that our run defense might not be as good as advertised, BUT that our passing defense might not be as bad as everyone seems to think either.

We're ranked 65th on defense, and I imagine that if we ran a more conservative offense, perhaps even just to the level of a Florida, our defense would probably be ranked in the 40s somewhere. Not great, but not terrible, either.

Also, one more thing. Against UT we executed only 67 offensive plays, the lowest of the season, nearly 13 below our average. But the staggering statistic to me was the time of possession - only 22 minutes. UT had the ball for 16 minutes more than our offense, nearly double the time. Yet we only faced 70 plays against UT, just a 3-play difference.

This confirms my belief that the reason we lost is because Colt successfully executed plays all the way down the field to score, rather than relying upon big plays. He methodically executed down the field to keep our offense off the field. Think about that - we scored 35 points in 22 minutes, or a quarter and a half. UT didn't stop us defensively, they just kept us off the field. If we get that 8 minutes back, we probably get 2 more scores, easily.

It was Colt's accuracy AND the ability to run that kept UT on the field all day and allowed them to win. I said that just by looking at the tape, and this virtually confirms it.

What does this say about FU? FU has nearly the same number of plays as their opponent, yet they blew out a majority of the teams they faced. This tells me that they rely upon the big play a lot.

The funny thing is that the closest they came to facing a hurry-up style offense was against Ole Miss, who executed 73 plays, the most that FU faced all season (by a long shot, the next highest was 66 plays). Turnovers had something to do with that count also, but it tells me that the FU defense might be vulnerable if they face a significant amount of plays.

Another thing is that since FU relies upon the big play, it gives our offense more opportunities, meaning that FU has to work that much harder on defense. The big thing that needs to happen for FU is that they HAVE to establish the run. Conversely, OU NEEDS to stop the run. Tebow is a great QB, a great leader. I think he's got a fair amount of accuracy, too. But I don't see FU sustaining drives all day long through a strong mix of running and short/medium, accurate passing. It goes completely against their nature (from what little I've seen of them). And I don't imagine a QB as competitive and as pumped up as Tebow is/will be, being patient and sticking to that kind of a game plan.

Conclusion: I think (I know that we've all had this thought, too) that OU goes into this game with the mindset of stopping the run. I also think that KW goes in with the mindset of shoving plays down their throats all day long as fast as possible. If we're successful with that, then I think this game turns into a blowout in OU's favor. We'll still allow some big plays and points, but I think we should win this game something like 45-31.

IF UF can sustain drives and keep OU off the field, I think FU will win somewhere in the neighborhood of 42-35.

All the pundits and FU fans point to the SEC and Big 12 defenses and use that as their base for thinking FU will win. I just think they're missing the point. You can't use that as a comparison, because both these teams destroyed their conferences - minus a fluke game. Both teams have different styles and philosophies on both sides of the ball. And I think that OU's style matches up well with FU, and I think OU will decidedly win.

All_Day_28
1/6/2009, 02:21 PM
Good read

TheUnnamedSooner
1/6/2009, 05:04 PM
Ok, so we face more plays per game. I'm curious to see how many yards per play we give up vs what florida gives up. Same for the offense...

Mark_in_Tulsa
1/6/2009, 05:17 PM
Ok, so we face more plays per game. I'm curious to see how many yards per play we give up vs what florida gives up. Same for the offense...

http://www.cfbstats.com/2008/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort02.html

cheezyq
1/6/2009, 05:43 PM

Because the team philosophies and their schedules were/are so different, I didn't bother comparing the two teams against each other in categories like that. Because of so many disparities, I personally believe that it's hard to use that data reliably.

What I did was look at each team individually and try to find out reasons why they lost the games that they lost, or find reasons that they struggled in some games. For OU it was time of possession and UT's success in sustaining scoring drives. For Florida, it appeared to be turnovers and facing a lot of plays defensively.

I then used that to compare how each team might perform, given their styles of play. Florida doesn't run the hurry up, which will benefit them, I think. They do, however, generate a lot of big plays. If UF can sustain SCORING drives with the run (or with accurate short passing), I think they will win. In contrast, if OU runs a lot of plays (like usual) and can stop the run/get the defense off the field quickly (even occasionally giving up big plays), OU wins.

I think it will be harder for UF to sustain drives all day long than it will be for OU to stop the run. OU can load up the box and contain the run, and even if they give up the big play, they still get their offense back on the field. It also gives UF more opportunity to make mistakes through the air, and with OU's offense on the field, the pace of the offense will wear down UF's defense.

MiamiGator79
1/6/2009, 06:41 PM
I think the difference between the two teams in terms of the number of offensive plays might be because we take the foot off the pedal when we have a lead a little more than you do. For what it's worth, I hate when we do it, I would prefer to drop 60 on every team, but we tend to get really conservative when we have a big lead.

Mark_in_Tulsa
1/6/2009, 06:51 PM
I think the difference between the two teams in terms of the number of offensive plays might be because we take the foot off the pedal when we have a lead a little more than you do. For what it's worth, I hate when we do it, I would prefer to drop 60 on every team, but we tend to get really conservative when we have a big lead.

I could agree with that if the facts didn't prove otherwise.

The Maestro
1/6/2009, 06:53 PM
I think the difference between the two teams in terms of the number of offensive plays might be because we take the foot off the pedal when we have a lead a little more than you do.

Wow. Candidate for "person who knows the least about 2008 Oklahoma football".

Pal, you do know we had 55 points at halftime at Kansas State and finished with 58. Also, 66 after 3 quarters at Texas A&M...and finished the game with the same amount. The list goes on and on. OU could have easily scored another 100 points this season and I am not even remotely kidding...maybe 200 if Billy Tubbs were our football Mercy Coordinator.

primetime43
1/6/2009, 07:08 PM
Wow. Candidate for "person who knows the least about 2008 Oklahoma football".

HA HA that is awesome. I couldn't agree more with you. I think Sam sat out a total of 2 games if you count all the 4th quarters he was a spectator!

CrimsonJim
1/6/2009, 07:29 PM

Ummm, ya might wanna do a little more readin' and investigatin' before you put your tail in your mouth again. :rolleyes:

Hot Rod
1/6/2009, 07:42 PM
HA HA that is awesome. I couldn't agree more with you. I think Sam sat out a total of 2 games if you count all the 4th quarters he was a spectator!

Agree. I can only think of 2 games where he didn't play the entire game. Texass and OSU. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe Halzle did play in the Big 12 championship game a little.

P3 Gator
1/6/2009, 07:46 PM
What does this say about FU? FU has nearly the same number of plays as their opponent, yet they blew out a majority of the teams they faced. This tells me that they rely upon the big play a lot.

What about special teams and defensive scores??? And, big plays are just fine.

And, about the speed of your offense. It seems Meyer, Gonzales, and Mullen were on the same staff at Bowling Green when they played Northwestern with your Offensive Coordinator. He ran a very similar offense there and he lost to Bowling Green.

It seems that Meyer, Gonzales, and Mullen learned a little something from the experience.

link (http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11226794)

cheezyq
1/6/2009, 08:08 PM

So those aren't big plays? I'm not sure this has anything to do with anything.

And, about the speed of your offense. It seems Meyer, Gonzales, and Mullen were on the same staff at Bowling Green when they played Northwestern with your Offensive Coordinator. He ran a very similar offense there and he lost to Bowling Green.

It seems that Meyer, Gonzales, and Mullen learned a little something from the experience.

And Princeton and Harvard once played for a national title before passing was invented. Your point?

P3 Gator
1/6/2009, 08:19 PM
So those aren't big plays? I'm not sure this has anything to do with anything.

And Princeton and Harvard once played for a national title before passing was invented. Your point?

The point is that three of UF's coaching staff have seen this offense (although being run by significantly inferior players to what they'll see Thursday) and hav learned from the experience. hey have drilled the defense hard on this and have had a month to prepare. Not saying the UF (or anybody) can completely offset the effects of how quickly OU runs plays, but they can be VERY prepared and it probably won't be as effective as it has been against teams unprepared or with only one week to adjust.

Another thing that makes Thursday's match-up so interesting.

Okie35
1/6/2009, 08:19 PM

i recall more gator turnovers given to them by mediocre qbs while ou has to earn their turnovers... ill give you special teams but i know for a fact anyway you cut it maclin is a great returner(one of the best in the nation) and didn't have any returned on us...

P3 Gator
1/6/2009, 08:22 PM
i recall more gator turnovers given to them by mediocre qbs while ou has to earn their turnovers... ill give you special teams but i know for a fact anyway you cut it maclin is a great returner(one of the best in the nation) and didn't have any returned on us...

Maclin is very good. Though I've heard a number of posters here say that the OU special teams have struggled some this season.

And it might just be because it's bowl season and teams tend to lose their edge, but Harrell, Daniels, and the guy from OSU didn't look so hot.

Okie35
1/6/2009, 08:26 PM
Maclin is very good. Though I've heard a number of posters here say that the OU special teams have struggled some this season though.

oh and i agree the special teams is probably the biggest problem issue... kickoff coverage mostly but im not saying they can't cover at all...

DominoMaximo
1/6/2009, 10:20 PM
Maclin is very good. Though I've heard a number of posters here say that the OU special teams have struggled some this season.

And it might just be because it's bowl season and teams tend to lose their edge, but Harrell, Daniels, and the guy from OSU didn't look so hot.

I will say the Mizzou defense stepped up. Texas Tech put more points against Ole Miss than any SEC team did, including Florida, and the guy (Zach Robinson) from OSU was not the same after he got smashed in the Oregon game.

All that being said Alabama was exactly the type of team I thought they were when they played Utah. Unable to pass and unable to come from behind.

I agree with one point, if the game is played in December with Florida only having 1 week to prepare for OU, OU beats Florida easily. Since the game is in January it will be a good game.

L-Boy
1/6/2009, 10:45 PM
I thought I would weigh in, since I know you value my opinion so much ;)

Ok, so I'm just friggin' ready for this damn game already. To pass some of the time, I was just going over some statistics that I was curious about, and found some interesting talking points.

We all know that OU runs the hurry-up offense. The Sooner offense has executed 1036 offensive plays this season, for an average of 79.7 plays per game. OU has, therefore, faced 922 defensive plays this year, for an average of 70.9 plays per game.

By way of contrast, FU has executed 815 offensive plays for an average of 62.7 plays per game. FU has faced 811 defensive plays for an average of 62.4 plays per game.

What does that tell me about OU? Our defensive numbers are skewed because of the fact that we face so many plays on defense. Additionally, since we are usually far ahead, we face more passing plays than most teams do, and therefore give up more passing yards. This would lead me to believe that our run defense might not be as good as advertised, BUT that our passing defense might not be as bad as everyone seems to think either.

We're ranked 65th on defense, and I imagine that if we ran a more conservative offense, perhaps even just to the level of a Florida, our defense would probably be ranked in the 40s somewhere. Not great, but not terrible, either.

I don't disagree with the premise that running a faster tempo offense will lead to more defensive plays and yds. I still think UF defense is better than OU defense though (which I understand you are not addressing and is arguably off topic)

Also, one more thing. Against UT we executed only 67 offensive plays, the lowest of the season, nearly 13 below our average. But the staggering statistic to me was the time of possession - only 22 minutes. UT had the ball for 16 minutes more than our offense, nearly double the time. Yet we only faced 70 plays against UT, just a 3-play difference.

This confirms my belief that the reason we lost is because Colt successfully executed plays all the way down the field to score, rather than relying upon big plays. He methodically executed down the field to keep our offense off the field. Think about that - we scored 35 points in 22 minutes, or a quarter and a half. UT didn't stop us defensively, they just kept us off the field. If we get that 8 minutes back, we probably get 2 more scores, easily.

It was Colt's accuracy AND the ability to run that kept UT on the field all day and allowed them to win. I said that just by looking at the tape, and this virtually confirms it.

Interesting stats, but you I think you are making a leap there. Is the fact that TX held on to the ball so long a function of their offense, or OU defense? Also, TX runs the short pass and short plays, because that is what they can do, McCoy is not really a long ball thrower. I imagine if they had a deeper threat, they would use it. I don't think they run what they do for ball control, I think they run what they do because that is what they do best.

The funny thing is that the closest they came to facing a hurry-up style offense was against Ole Miss, who executed 73 plays, the most that FU faced all season (by a long shot, the next highest was 66 plays). Turnovers had something to do with that count also, but it tells me that the FU defense might be vulnerable if they face a significant amount of plays.

I will give you that McCoy is probably a better short passer, but I think UF could certainly play more ball control offense if they had to, but what makes UF so effective (kind of like the 90's under Spurrier, but completely different scheme) is that they can score from anywhere on the field. Watching TX last night, they moved the ball all over the place, but didn't get into the end zone a lot.

Plus Florida can run the ball too. I would expect they may intentionally try to run some to slow things down a bit. I am wondering if they may use Moody more, while not quite the explosive runner, he is stronger and can probably grind out yds better than Harvin, Demps and Rainey.

Point is that UF can play ball control, IF it is in their advantage to do so.

Another thing is that since FU relies upon the big play, it gives our offense more opportunities, meaning that FU has to work that much harder on defense. The big thing that needs to happen for FU is that they HAVE to establish the run. Conversely, OU NEEDS to stop the run. Tebow is a great QB, a great leader. I think he's got a fair amount of accuracy, too. But I don't see FU sustaining drives all day long through a strong mix of running and short/medium, accurate passing. It goes completely against their nature (from what little I've seen of them). And I don't imagine a QB as competitive and as pumped up as Tebow is/will be, being patient and sticking to that kind of a game plan.

I see what you are saying, but not sure I completely agree. Yes, they can control the ball if needed, but believe me, if they can score points fast, they will do so. Your premise only really stands if UF tries to score points fast, go for the big play, and fail. I have no reason to think that will happen.

You are correct, UF will definitely have to establish a run game, and if Harvin is gimpy, that does not help. Again, Moody may be a factor.

Conclusion: I think (I know that we've all had this thought, too) that OU goes into this game with the mindset of stopping the run. I also think that KW goes in with the mindset of shoving plays down their throats all day long as fast as possible. If we're successful with that, then I think this game turns into a blowout in OU's favor. We'll still allow some big plays and points, but I think we should win this game something like 45-31.

IF UF can sustain drives and keep OU off the field, I think FU will win somewhere in the neighborhood of 42-35.

All the pundits and FU fans point to the SEC and Big 12 defenses and use that as their base for thinking FU will win. I just think they're missing the point. You can't use that as a comparison, because both these teams destroyed their conferences - minus a fluke game. Both teams have different styles and philosophies on both sides of the ball. And I think that OU's style matches up well with FU, and I think OU will decidedly win.

I read last night that UF is specifically preparing for the no huddle, they are actually having 2 separate scout teams alternate plays against the D - as soon as the play is over, the second team runs on the field and runs another play, so creating an arguably faster pace than even the no huddle. I think UF will be prepared for this. Sure OU is going to make some yds and score some points, but I think the UF defense is too athletic and will be too well prepared to just fold because of the pace and # of plays.

Again, I don't have issues with most of what you are saying, except I think you take a couple of leaps there that I would not take, but otherwise its well thought out.

gatorpower
1/6/2009, 10:56 PM
Good observation. I think another good measure of a defense is how many 3-and-outs they forced during the year, which I always thought was a better indicator on how successful the defense was rather than just relying on raw plays.

If you take out both the Citadel & Chattanooga for both teams, you can go on the NCAA's site and find out how many times the defense stopped the opposition with a 3-and-out. Then you find out how many total drives each defense faced during those games and divide the first number into the second. This percentage gives you a good estimate of how successful the defense was at stopping offenses with the minimal number of plays (sans turnovers, obviously).

Florida - 49 (149 total drives): 32.8859%
Oklahoma - 37 (174 total drives): 21.2643%

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2009, 10:59 PM
As I said before...that's a retarded practice technique. Running an entirely new squad on is decidedly slower than running up to the line in a completely different formation and firing away.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2009, 11:00 PM
And who gives a crap about 3 and out if instead you have 5 and int or 7 and forced fumble?

Soonersince57
1/6/2009, 11:01 PM
This is 99.822334% old.

cheezyq
1/6/2009, 11:05 PM
The point is that three of UF's coaching staff have seen this offense (although being run by significantly inferior players to what they'll see Thursday) and hav learned from the experience. hey have drilled the defense hard on this and have had a month to prepare. Not saying the UF (or anybody) can completely offset the effects of how quickly OU runs plays, but they can be VERY prepared and it probably won't be as effective as it has been against teams unprepared or with only one week to adjust.

Another thing that makes Thursday's match-up so interesting.

So they've seen it before. So has half the US who watches college football. Who's to say that they'll be successful where no one else has been so far? Like you said, different players, different teams, different combination of coaches. So they learned from the experience...perhaps what they learned is that they can't stop it.

I'm sure they'll be prepared. I never said they wouldn't be. You apparently didn't read the thread, as most of you and your unfortunate cohorts have the continuous problem of doing. I was pointing out what I think are keys to the game.

So I'm still left asking the question, how is this relevant to the intent of this thread?

L-Boy
1/6/2009, 11:10 PM
As I said before...that's a retarded practice technique. Running an entirely new squad on is decidedly slower than running up to the line in a completely different formation and firing away.

What you seem to be forgetting is that the offensive squad just executed a play, so they are dispersed all about the field, and have to get back to the line. A squad can come off the sideline already knowing the play in seconds. Plus in practice I doubt they are worried about 12 or more men on the field at the same time - they are probably not even on the sideline - most likely they are well onto the field once the play is over.

What this does it creates a tempo probably even faster than a no huddle. What it does not do is replicate the Ok offense - obviously OU's offense is a hell of a lot better than 2 UF scout teams.

Interesting how you can just dismiss it as "retarded" in an all knowing fashion. Say what you want about Meyer, he is not "retarded".

Thanks for your input though.

cheezyq
1/6/2009, 11:32 PM
Good observation. I think another good measure of a defense is how many 3-and-outs they forced during the year, which I always thought was a better indicator on how successful the defense was rather than just relying on raw plays.

If you take out both the Citadel & Chattanooga for both teams, you can go on the NCAA's site and find out how many times the defense stopped the opposition with a 3-and-out. Then you find out how many total drives each defense faced during those games and divide the first number into the second. This percentage gives you a good estimate of how successful the defense was at stopping offenses with the minimal number of plays (sans turnovers, obviously).

Florida - 49 (149 total drives): 32.8859%
Oklahoma - 37 (174 total drives): 21.2643%

Again, you're completely missing the point of this thread. I'm not shocked, though, as reading comprehension seems to be lost on a majority of the opposition posting here.

OU and UF faced different teams, different circumstances, different scenarios throughout the season. As a result, you really can't just take basic statistics and say one is better than the other.

What I did here was I took the one thing both teams had in common (a loss), and I compared that loss to the rest of the season for each team individually.

For OU, the standout difference was the time of possession. All other games for OU were within a reasonable range. I analyzed that based on a combination of statistics and also what I saw in the game (which you did not watch). I used that to determine what I think it will take for UF to defeat OU.

For UF, the standout difference was the number of plays allowed. I feel a good part of this had to do with turnovers. But, UF allowed more points that game than any other. Additionally, UF got away from the run in the 2nd half, allowing more opportunities for Ole Miss to come back. I imagine that if Ole Miss can move the ball on Florida's defense, then OU should be able to do the same. I used that information to determine what I think it will take for OU to defeat UF.

Pay attention: I'm not saying that will happen. Personally, I think it will be easier for OU to accomplish their keys than it will be for UF to accomplish theirs. I know you all will debate that, and I don't really care. Feel free to disagree with that, but again, that's not the point of the thread.

L-Boy, I have no idea what you said, literally. I've got you on block status. I really don't have enough patience to explain everything to you, as I know that you will only read one or two parts of my thread individually, interpret the statements incorrectly, and then use that to drag the discussion off-topic and call me a flamer. I've read your "insights" before, and well, I pretty much consider them garbage and irrelevant to the topics we've argued in the past. I imagine your opinions regarding this thread are similar, so I have no wish to waste my time arguing with you. Thanks anyway.

sooneredaco
1/6/2009, 11:35 PM
Meyer is retarded. Take that!

illinisooner
1/6/2009, 11:37 PM
It's one thing to prepare for something in practice and it's another thing to actually do it in the game. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

SoonerBacker
1/6/2009, 11:49 PM
It's one thing to prepare for something in practice and it's another thing to actually do it in the game. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Just ask Bama!

adoniijahsooner
1/6/2009, 11:55 PM

You just type without thinking, dont you? Harrell had 360 yards and Robinson had 350 yards with a seperated shoulder. Do you guys just look at few plays and make your assumptions, or do you know anything about football?

adoniijahsooner
1/7/2009, 12:01 AM
we cannot have a bunch of three and outs

adoniijahsooner
1/7/2009, 12:13 AM
Cheezyq you really know your football. Gator posters, not so much.

gatorpower
1/7/2009, 12:17 AM
Again, you're completely missing the point of this thread. I'm not shocked, though, as reading comprehension seems to be lost on a majority of the opposition posting here.

I wasn't directly contradicting anything you said, simply adding what I found to be another interesting statistic. Why does reading comprehension come into play here? It just seems like a poor attempt at an insult.

However, I do disagree with the premise that the number of plays on your offense translates to the number of plays on the oppositions offense. I did not say that in my last post, but it was something I did not find wholly interesting to respond to.

The first problem is that one can not make the assumption that the number of plays Oklahoma runs affects the number of plays that the other team runs or even the time of possession. It's entirely based on how the other offense runs.

You can have a 100-play drive that takes 30 minutes off the clock and the other team can potentially score on 1 play in 7 seconds. Likewise, you can run 3 plays and then punt while the other team runs 15 plays and then punts. Sure it averages out over time, but the point is it's not the plays that matter, it's the drive opportunities.

Oklahoma's defense faces 14.5 drives per game
Florida's defense faces 12.41 drives per game.

The opposition can use whatever offense they want in how ever many plays they want. Ole Miss did not have a hurry-up offense. They had 15 possessions during the game. They had 3 more possessions due to turn overs.

Mississippi had seven 3-and-outs against Florida. (The only team Florida forced more 3-and-outs was South Carolina at 8.) It means that 21 of Mississippi's offensive plays not only resulted in nothing, but they gave the ball back to Florida extremely quickly.

Mississippi scored 14 points on an 86-yard pass and a 40-yard rush. Two plays accounted for over a third of their total yards. And another 40-yard pass in the 1st half means that 3 plays accounted for half Mississippi's yards. Two of Florida's turnovers gave Mississippi an average starting field position of Florida's own 29-yard line and resulted in 10 points.

Florida's margin of victory is higher than Oklahoma's.

Florida: 32.3
Oklahoma: 29.46

So Florida's opponents have just as much incentive to pass the ball to get back in the game. But it's really apples to oranges.

Florida plays more teams that run the ball and Oklahoma plays more teams that pass the ball, thus affecting the number of plays and time-of-possession. :)

cheezyq
1/7/2009, 12:37 AM
Keep comparing Florida vs. Oklahoma statistics gatorpower. They're completely irrelevant. But that point is apparently completely lost on you.

Also, quit attributing words to me when I did not say them. Read...THEN post.

gatorpower
1/7/2009, 12:43 AM
Keep comparing Florida vs. Oklahoma statistics gatorpower. They're completely irrelevant. But that point is apparently completely lost on you.

Also, quit attributing words to me when I did not say them. Read...THEN post.

I was just making 'observations' like you. ;)

jwlynn64
1/7/2009, 12:44 AM
Florida's margin of victory is higher than Oklahoma's.

Florida: 32.3
Oklahoma: 29.46

This might have more to do with OU having the second lowest number of scored points in the 4th quarter in the Big XII as opposed to anything else you might have said that I didn't really read. This poor statistic just jumped out at me.

continentalpong
1/7/2009, 12:48 AM
cheezyq, your opine about running more plays has legs. Here they're talking about the difficulties Florida could have with OU's no-huddle.

http://www.windmilltilting.com/coachbo/why-oklahoma-can-and-should-beat-the-florida-gators

No matter how they try, I find it hard to believe that they'll be able to adequately simulate OU's hurry-up offense.

gatorpower
1/7/2009, 12:48 AM
This might have more to do with OU having the second lowest number of scored points in the 4th quarter in the Big XII as opposed to anything else you might have said that I didn't really read. This poor statistic just jumped out at me.

Why is it a poor statistic, I'm just curious. Apparently being the #1 scoring offense isn't so 'poor'. So why is margin of victory poor? It's just scoring offense minus scoring defense.

Scotty
1/7/2009, 01:05 AM
What you seem to be forgetting is that the offensive squad just executed a play, so they are dispersed all about the field, and have to get back to the line. A squad can come off the sideline already knowing the play in seconds. Plus in practice I doubt they are worried about 12 or more men on the field at the same time - they are probably not even on the sideline - most likely they are well onto the field once the play is over.

What this does it creates a tempo probably even faster than a no huddle. What it does not do is replicate the Ok offense - obviously OU's offense is a hell of a lot better than 2 UF scout teams.

Interesting how you can just dismiss it as "retarded" in an all knowing fashion. Say what you want about Meyer, he is not "retarded".

Thanks for your input though.

You're missing the point. The biggest problem in defending the OU no-huddle isn't just the tempo of it, its the versatility. I don't think enough people understand this.

Its the fact that OU can spread the field and run a play, then, with the exact same personnel, line up in a power formation and run it up the gut. All this before your D can sub in the right package, thus creating mismatches.

cheezyq
1/7/2009, 01:20 AM
Cheezyq you really know your football. Gator posters, not so much.

Thanks for the props. :) I'd like to agree, but I think in this case it's just more noticing statistical patterns. I hope this translates well to the game and OU does come out on top, but it's hard to tell.

The one thing I DO know is that all the crap from these gator posters is based on irrelevant comparisons that mean nothing. So far I haven't seen a single gator fan here that can think rationally or logically with regard to the whole picture. They can barely keep their own arguments straight. Typical of trolls, though. The rational gator fans are probably hanging out with their own fans.

Flsunman
1/7/2009, 01:35 AM

Maclin had a bum ankle and has for weeks now.

Flsunman
1/7/2009, 01:41 AM
So they've seen it before. So has half the US who watches college football. Who's to say that they'll be successful where no one else has been so far? Like you said, different players, different teams, different combination of coaches. So they learned from the experience...perhaps what they learned is that they can't stop it.

I'm sure they'll be prepared. I never said they wouldn't be. You apparently didn't read the thread, as most of you and your unfortunate cohorts have the continuous problem of doing. I was pointing out what I think are keys to the game.

So I'm still left asking the question, how is this relevant to the intent of this thread?

Maybe because OU has yet to play a real defense in conference. I still think TCU was the best defense you faced, however their secondary is another issue.

From watching the bowls the big 12 offenses are scoring less per game and the defenses still look real suspect no matter who they play.

It has to be considered but you're right, it certainly shouldn't be the end all be all. I think you're dead on about the OU pace offense though but for different reasons. It could tire us out if we are out there too long. The key for Florida is to get off the field.

cheezyq
1/7/2009, 02:08 AM
Maybe because OU has yet to play a real defense in conference. I still think TCU was the best defense you faced, however their secondary is another issue.

From watching the bowls the big 12 offenses are scoring less per game and the defenses still look real suspect no matter who they play.

It has to be considered but you're right, it certainly shouldn't be the end all be all. I think you're dead on about the OU pace offense though but for different reasons. It could tire us out if we are out there too long. The key for Florida is to get off the field.

The one key point that everyone seems to be missing is that OU crushed everyone they faced, sans UT and OSU (on the road). That's why the performances of the rest of the Big 12 doesn't bother me so much. Regarding TCU - TCU held Utah to 13 points, something even an almighty SEC defense couldn't do. Again, conference comparisons like these go NOWHERE. That's why I broke it down the way I did in the first post.

illinisooner
1/7/2009, 12:02 PM
So most of the Big 12 offenses run the spread and routinely put up 40 or 50 points per game, and Florida runs the spread in the SEC and does the same thing...and the Big 12 defenses aren't legit? Hmm...I guess the vaunted SEC defenses get a pass when they face the only good spread team in the SEC. Also, I hope Florida realizes this isn't a track meet.

cheezyq
1/7/2009, 04:42 PM

I HAD to come back to this post because it's TOTALLY hilarious in real life context (just read an article about that game).

That game, the score was 43-42 Bowling Green over Northwestern! Yeah, those guys sure showed us all how they could STOP that offense. Bwahahaha! Even better yet, that game Northwestern got a first down that would have clinched the game, but the running back fumbled the ball before going down. To top it all off, Northwestern NEVER even punted that game.

I'll BET those guys "learned a little something from the experience"!

Come on! Are you gator fans serious about this stuff? Almost everything you say only ENHANCES the OU argument. There's a saying:

"It's better to be silent and regarded a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Just a suggestion. ;)

Win or lose, some of you gator fans are the most retarded people I've ever come across. Worst trash talkers ever. For your own sake, troll your own boards before you get embarrassed any further. Wow.

P3 Gator
1/7/2009, 08:24 PM
I HAD to come back to this post because it's TOTALLY hilarious in real life context (just read an article about that game).

That game, the score was 43-42 Bowling Green over Northwestern! Yeah, those guys sure showed us all how they could STOP that offense. Bwahahaha! Even better yet, that game Northwestern got a first down that would have clinched the game, but the running back fumbled the ball before going down. To top it all off, Northwestern NEVER even punted that game.

Come on! Are you gator fans serious about this stuff? Almost everything you say only ENHANCES the OU argument. There's a saying:

"It's better to be silent and regarded a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Just a suggestion. ;)

Win or lose, some of you gator fans are the most retarded people I've ever come across. Worst trash talkers ever. For your own sake, troll your own boards before you get embarrassed any further. Wow.

Hold it now. What did I say that was wrong. Meyers team BEAT your O coordinators. 1 point constitutes a win. Also, our head coach, our O coordinator, and our receivers coach have seen this defense. The basic philosophy would be "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." So, having seen this offense live, beating it that time, and having a month to prepare for it, they will be more prepared than many of your opponents that haven't seen it and that only had a week to prepare.

Soonersince57
1/7/2009, 09:30 PM
I heard Meyer's uncle drove down I-35 once and passed through Norman. Memorized the layout of the town; therefore, we lose.

L-Boy
1/7/2009, 10:01 PM

Just a suggestion. ;)

I tried to be civil, but its pretty much lost on you. I will be more direct.

You are wholly infatuated with OU's offensive stats. You take this obsession with a particular stat, like # of plays, and then construct this completely hypothetical scenario around it. Then you take the one loss, neatly rationalize it away, and then have nice neat little theory that sprouted from one dumb offensive stat.

Then when people don't 100% agree with you, first its "you can't read" then it evolves into "you're a fool, all Gators are retarded, etc". I assume it stems from a preference to childish namecalling vs constructing a logical counter argument, but I am open to other theories.

UF WILL be prepared for this hurry up offense. The point made by P3 was that Meyer and the coaching staff remember how utterly out of control that 43-42 game was (which they ended up winning anyway). It was that uncomfortable experience that has given him some insight about the importance of preparing for it.

Fla may win, or OU may win. But OU is NOT invincible. To me its simple - the UF offense is probably as good as the OU offense (they are not the same, but they are as good), and the UF defense and special teams are better. If both teams play to their ability, I think UF wins. If either side makes too many mistakes, they lose.

And there you have it, and I didn't call any rival fans childish names either.

L-Boy
1/7/2009, 10:05 PM
I heard Meyer's uncle drove down I-35 once and passed through Norman. Memorized the layout of the town; therefore, we lose.

A week or two ago I drove up I35 - either in Norman or OKC, I forget which, and there was a billboard: "Oklahoma - we invented the parking meter".

FlaBama
1/7/2009, 10:10 PM
I just left my favorite Bama board and I can say without a doubt the Bama Nation will be in your corner tomorrow night. Oklahoma is a class act from the word go, and crimson begets crimson. Send the gayturds back to their reptile pit!

cheezyq
1/7/2009, 11:36 PM
Hold it now. What did I say that was wrong. Meyers team BEAT your O coordinators. 1 point constitutes a win. Also, our head coach, our O coordinator, and our receivers coach have seen this defense. The basic philosophy would be "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." So, having seen this offense live, beating it that time, and having a month to prepare for it, they will be more prepared than many of your opponents that haven't seen it and that only had a week to prepare.

It's not a matter of just being wrong. It's a matter of being stupid. Why would you throw that game out there? That game proved ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from your standpoint....other than the fact that they merely SAW the offense. Big friggin' deal. Northwestern never punted. BG never stopped that offense, not once. Northwestern lost on a fumble AFTER getting a first down that would have sealed the game. What, from THAT GAME, makes you think they would stop the same offense?

Sure, Meyer can GUESS at what MIGHT have worked if they had the chance to play that offense again, but there is nothing in that game that proves that they will. In fact, it proves the exact opposite.

Is this what debating is like in the Bizarro world?

cheezyq
1/8/2009, 12:06 AM
I tried to be civil, but its pretty much lost on you. I will be more direct.

Bull****.

You are wholly infatuated with OU's offensive stats. You take this obsession with a particular stat, like # of plays, and then construct this completely hypothetical scenario around it. Then you take the one loss, neatly rationalize it away, and then have nice neat little theory that sprouted from one dumb offensive stat.

Then when people don't 100% agree with you, first its "you can't read" then it evolves into "you're a fool, all Gators are retarded, etc". I assume it stems from a preference to childish namecalling vs constructing a logical counter argument, but I am open to other theories.

But L-Boy, you've PROVEN you can't read, and you're doing it again. I didn't start with the STAT and build an argument around it. Quite the opposite. Read my next few posts, where I outlined what led to that stat (for OU only)...never mind, that's too much to ask.

Both teams are 12-1. I took the statistical anomaly for both teams, which was the LOSS, and I analyzed each team's loss separately. I continued by measuring statistical anomalies in those losses, when compared to the season for each team individually. THEN, I related what I think it means to the outcome of the upcoming game. The STAT, as it were, was very interesting to me, so I chose to start the thread by highlighting it.

Read before you post, please. And if you can't comprehend, then try not to continually embarrass yourself with this ignorant babble.

UF WILL be prepared for this hurry up offense. The point made by P3 was that Meyer and the coaching staff remember how utterly out of control that 43-42 game was (which they ended up winning anyway). It was that uncomfortable experience that has given him some insight about the importance of preparing for it.

I have a favor to ask of you L-Boy. Where did I say that UF would not be prepared for the OU offense? Go find that quote for me and post it here as a reply. P3 posted about that game implying that because they had SEEN the offense, that they would know how to stop it, or contain it. It was stupid, and proved absolutely nothing. I didn't say that UF would not be prepared. I simply stated that his using that game was ridiculous.

Fla may win, or OU may win. But OU is NOT invincible. To me its simple - the UF offense is probably as good as the OU offense (they are not the same, but they are as good), and the UF defense and special teams are better. If both teams play to their ability, I think UF wins. If either side makes too many mistakes, they lose.

I have another assignment for your L-Boy. Go find the section where I said OU was invincible and would absolutely, 100%, win this game. Copy it and post it in a reply. Thanks!

For the 999th time, this thread was about analyzing the losses of the two teams, figuring out why they lost, and using that to determine keys to the game. I posted both what it would take for OU to win, and ALSO (the part you ignored) what it would take for UF to win.

And there you have it, and I didn't call any rival fans childish names either.

Why are you so obsessed with this name-calling stuff? Your sensitivity on the subject leads me to believe that you've been called an idiot before. Quite frankly, I'm not surprised, as you have shown a CLEAR lack of understanding and ability to stay on topic. Perhaps you should shut the mouth and open the ears, so to speak. You might learn a few things. Running your mouth has only highlighted on several occasions your inability to understand what an opponent has said (in completion) and formulate a valid response.

Look, I call it like I see it. If you make a stupid argument, I'm going to say, "you're argument is stupid". And, I've proceeded to prove WHY it is stupid...on several occasions. If you don't read the post and don't understand what I've said, and choose to respond in kind, then I'm going to call you out on it....and probably call you an idiot.

Don't get offended because you can't keep up. It's not my fault you can't read and comprehend. It might not be your fault either. Some people were born with limitations. The difference is that the reasonable people recognize those limitations and don't enter contests they simply can't compete in.

Now, if you want to read my posts in whole, take time to let the information sink in, and THEN format a reasonable discussion that is relevant to what was said, then I would be glad to oblige you in a gentlemanly discussion. Until you can show that you are capable of that, I'm going to regard you as a fool. I apologize if that offends.

L-Boy
1/8/2009, 01:56 AM
Bull****.

But L-Boy, you've PROVEN you can't read, and you're doing it again. I didn't start with the STAT and build an argument around it. Quite the opposite. Read my next few posts, where I outlined what led to that stat (for OU only)...never mind, that's too much to ask.

Both teams are 12-1. I took the statistical anomaly for both teams, which was the LOSS, and I analyzed each team's loss separately. I continued by measuring statistical anomalies in those losses, when compared to the season for each team individually. THEN, I related what I think it means to the outcome of the upcoming game. The STAT, as it were, was very interesting to me, so I chose to start the thread by highlighting it.

Read before you post, please. And if you can't comprehend, then try not to continually embarrass yourself with this ignorant babble.

I have a favor to ask of you L-Boy. Where did I say that UF would not be prepared for the OU offense? Go find that quote for me and post it here as a reply. P3 posted about that game implying that because they had SEEN the offense, that they would know how to stop it, or contain it. It was stupid, and proved absolutely nothing. I didn't say that UF would not be prepared. I simply stated that his using that game was ridiculous.

I have another assignment for your L-Boy. Go find the section where I said OU was invincible and would absolutely, 100%, win this game. Copy it and post it in a reply. Thanks!

For the 999th time, this thread was about analyzing the losses of the two teams, figuring out why they lost, and using that to determine keys to the game. I posted both what it would take for OU to win, and ALSO (the part you ignored) what it would take for UF to win.

Why are you so obsessed with this name-calling stuff? Your sensitivity on the subject leads me to believe that you've been called an idiot before. Quite frankly, I'm not surprised, as you have shown a CLEAR lack of understanding and ability to stay on topic. Perhaps you should shut the mouth and open the ears, so to speak. You might learn a few things. Running your mouth has only highlighted on several occasions your inability to understand what an opponent has said (in completion) and formulate a valid response.

Look, I call it like I see it. If you make a stupid argument, I'm going to say, "you're argument is stupid". And, I've proceeded to prove WHY it is stupid...on several occasions. If you don't read the post and don't understand what I've said, and choose to respond in kind, then I'm going to call you out on it....and probably call you an idiot.

Don't get offended because you can't keep up. It's not my fault you can't read and comprehend. It might not be your fault either. Some people were born with limitations. The difference is that the reasonable people recognize those limitations and don't enter contests they simply can't compete in.

Now, if you want to read my posts in whole, take time to let the information sink in, and THEN format a reasonable discussion that is relevant to what was said, then I would be glad to oblige you in a gentlemanly discussion. Until you can show that you are capable of that, I'm going to regard you as a fool. I apologize if that offends.

Generally when one carries on an argument the way you do, its because they are insecure with their abilities on such discourse and try to compensate by using such tactics, thinking that is going to compensate and hide their obvious argumentative deficiencies.

I will try not to hold this against OU fans, UF and all schools for that matter have fans like you too.

Again, your whole argument starts with one offensive stat, then you cherry pick a couple of other stats, and then construct a whole case around that. There may be 200 different stats that are applicable, and you will take 2 or 3, and draw a whole hypothetical yet non sensical scenario around it. Pretty much all your posts have followed the same formula

1. AWESOME OU offensive stat
2. Reason why TX loss was a fluke
3. Random stat to demonstrate UF is inferior
4. Anybody who disagrees can't read and is an IDIOT!!!!

I will give you credit for creativity though - within that construct, you come up with some interesting conclusions based upon nothing in particular.

cheezyq
1/8/2009, 02:07 AM
Generally when one carries on an argument the way you do, its because they are insecure with their abilities on such discourse and try to compensate by using such tactics, thinking that is going to compensate and hide their obvious argumentative deficiencies.

I will try not to hold this against OU fans, UF and all schools for that matter have fans like you too.

Again, your whole argument starts with one offensive stat, then you cherry pick a couple of other stats, and then construct a whole case around that. There may be 200 different stats that are applicable, and you will take 2 or 3, and draw a whole hypothetical yet non sensical scenario around it. Pretty much all your posts have followed the same formula

I will give you credit for creativity though - within that construct, you come up with some interesting conclusions based upon nothing in particular.

L-Boy, I was going to kindly ask you to **** off. I've already obliterated EVERY argument you've ever hurled at me. This post completely disregards all facts. You've ignored completely everything I've ever said and interjected your own words trying to pass them off as mine. You are the supreme troll jack***.

Instead, since this is not the only thread of mine you've tried to hijack, and this is not the first time you have LIED, flaming me with words that YOU put into my mouth, I am now reporting you to the mods to deal with the issue appropriately.

cheezyq
1/8/2009, 04:17 AM

My arguments are based on facts and reality. You, however, choose to insert your own words and pass them off as mine. You do this because you have zero ability to construct a reasonable defense. Blatant lying is your only defense.

I'm sure all the other OU fans here who have proven, as I have, that you are clueless buffoon with no talent other than deception really give a **** what you think of them.

Again, your whole argument starts with one offensive stat,

Please tell me what I was thinking 10 minutes ago. I constructed my argument BEFORE I started the thread. Try it sometime. Thinking about things ahead of time, and THEN posting is generally a good way to develop your argument. Unless you were here at my home, in my head as I was analyzing the statistics over multiple days, then you again have used a direct LIE as your only means of defense.

then you cherry pick a couple of other stats, and then construct a whole case around that. There may be 200 different stats that are applicable, and you will take 2 or 3, and draw a whole hypothetical yet non sensical scenario around it. Pretty much all your posts have followed the same formula

Then why are you so fascinated with my "non sensical" scenario? You sir, are obsessed with me for some odd reason, as is backed up by the fact that you've trolled behind me in multiple threads. I'm sorry, I'm just not that way...NTTAWWT.

Again, unless you were here at my home in my head constructing this argument with me, then you have no basis for using this defense. As I said so clearly before, the stat that I, as a Sooner fan, thought was interesting was the number of plays. That was not my entire argument, even though that is all you chose to read.

Funny how a good offense produces good offensive statistics, wouldn't you say?

Ah, yes. Yet another example of L-Boy's talent for putting his words into my mouth. Never did I say the UT loss was a fluke. Not even close. I merely explained the reasons why they won. Those of us who understand football, and those of us who read posts, and those of us who try to understand posts, realize that there is a significant difference between analyzing a loss and excusing a loss. Clearly you have none of these talents, and therefore resort to, that's right, LYING as your means of defense.

This post is LITTERED with examples of you placing words in my mouth. Do you know no other defense than to simply make stuff up?

I never said UF was inferior. Period.

However, interestingly you seem to have the opinion that I've supplied stats that "demonstrate" that UF is inferior. You didn't say that I "attempted to demonstrate" or "tried to demonstrate". You merely say that my statistics demonstrate (as in cemented fact) that UF is inferior. Well, that was not my intention, but it's nice to know that you're coming around to our side of things.

Again, putting words into my mouth. This is now the 5th time, WITHIN JUST THIS ONE POST, in which you have done so. I never said anyone who disagrees with me can't read and is an idiot. I said that YOU can't read and, thus, are an idiot. Huge distinction there buddy.

It's not the fact that you disagree with me that makes you an idiot (although a case can be made). It's the fact that you cannot read and comprehend the content of a post.

Then you resort to lies, making up things and attributing them to your opponent, thinking that it will win you an argument.

Interesting that you credit me with creativity when it is you who has created an entire argument...with yourself. In reality, I've never even argued with you at all. You have concocted a complete work of fiction by misquoting every single thing that I've posted.

You've created in your mind an alternate-universe version of cheezyq by attributing things that I never said to this person in your mind, based on "nothing in particular". You carry on conversations with this fictional character and hold both sides of the argument. I keep trying to bring you BACK to reality by emphasizing what I REALLY said, but you continue to bring these works of fiction back into your strange and pointless arguments. It's as if in your view I am an aberration of some sort, and this alternate-universe creation is all you see.

Therefore I conclude that I was completely incorrect about you. You're not stupid, and I sincerely apologize for calling you that.

No, the evidence suggest that you are, in fact, insane. I highly suggest a nice vacation at Betty Ford.

Unless you really are just a rampant liar, in which case I suggest you just STFU and leave.

FaninAma
1/8/2009, 10:12 AM
It's this simple guys. If the Sooners get the defensive effort we saw in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2005 OU wins. If we see the same defensive effort we saw in 2004, 2006 and 2007 we lose and we lose big.

The common denominator in all of the poor efforts was that OU was a 7 point or larger favorite except for the USC game. OU came into the games with a poor attitude.

Defense is all about effort and attitutde....especially when stopping the run. If Florida can't run the ball this game will get ugly.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/8/2009, 10:54 AM
Never did I say the UT loss was a fluke...

I did and I will continue to do so. One bad quarter mixed with 3 BS calls gave texas that game.

Fah-luke.

L-Boy
1/8/2009, 10:54 AM
My arguments are based on facts and reality. You, however, choose to insert your own words and pass them off as mine. You do this because you have zero ability to construct a reasonable defense. Blatant lying is your only defense.

I'm sure all the other OU fans here who have proven, as I have, that you are clueless buffoon with no talent other than deception really give a **** what you think of them.

Please tell me what I was thinking 10 minutes ago. I constructed my argument BEFORE I started the thread. Try it sometime. Thinking about things ahead of time, and THEN posting is generally a good way to develop your argument. Unless you were here at my home, in my head as I was analyzing the statistics over multiple days, then you again have used a direct LIE as your only means of defense.

Then why are you so fascinated with my "non sensical" scenario? You sir, are obsessed with me for some odd reason, as is backed up by the fact that you've trolled behind me in multiple threads. I'm sorry, I'm just not that way...NTTAWWT.

Again, unless you were here at my home in my head constructing this argument with me, then you have no basis for using this defense. As I said so clearly before, the stat that I, as a Sooner fan, thought was interesting was the number of plays. That was not my entire argument, even though that is all you chose to read.

Funny how a good offense produces good offensive statistics, wouldn't you say?

Ah, yes. Yet another example of L-Boy's talent for putting his words into my mouth. Never did I say the UT loss was a fluke. Not even close. I merely explained the reasons why they won. Those of us who understand football, and those of us who read posts, and those of us who try to understand posts, realize that there is a significant difference between analyzing a loss and excusing a loss. Clearly you have none of these talents, and therefore resort to, that's right, LYING as your means of defense.

This post is LITTERED with examples of you placing words in my mouth. Do you know no other defense than to simply make stuff up?

I never said UF was inferior. Period.

However, interestingly you seem to have the opinion that I've supplied stats that "demonstrate" that UF is inferior. You didn't say that I "attempted to demonstrate" or "tried to demonstrate". You merely say that my statistics demonstrate (as in cemented fact) that UF is inferior. Well, that was not my intention, but it's nice to know that you're coming around to our side of things.

Again, putting words into my mouth. This is now the 5th time, WITHIN JUST THIS ONE POST, in which you have done so. I never said anyone who disagrees with me can't read and is an idiot. I said that YOU can't read and, thus, are an idiot. Huge distinction there buddy.

It's not the fact that you disagree with me that makes you an idiot (although a case can be made). It's the fact that you cannot read and comprehend the content of a post.

Then you resort to lies, making up things and attributing them to your opponent, thinking that it will win you an argument.

Interesting that you credit me with creativity when it is you who has created an entire argument...with yourself. In reality, I've never even argued with you at all. You have concocted a complete work of fiction by misquoting every single thing that I've posted.

You've created in your mind an alternate-universe version of cheezyq by attributing things that I never said to this person in your mind, based on "nothing in particular". You carry on conversations with this fictional character and hold both sides of the argument. I keep trying to bring you BACK to reality by emphasizing what I REALLY said, but you continue to bring these works of fiction back into your strange and pointless arguments. It's as if in your view I am an aberration of some sort, and this alternate-universe creation is all you see.

Therefore I conclude that I was completely incorrect about you. You're not stupid, and I sincerely apologize for calling you that.

No, the evidence suggest that you are, in fact, insane. I highly suggest a nice vacation at Betty Ford.

Unless you really are just a rampant liar, in which case I suggest you just STFU and leave.

:D

No1Better
1/8/2009, 01:23 PM
I was at the game against tu - we dominated them in the first and second quarters. Shipley runs back the punt before halftime, momentum shifts. tu rides the wave to a win.

We rise above the momentum shifts, we will win this game.

L-Boy
1/8/2009, 02:17 PM
I guess in a few hours this stuff all sort itself out.

One of the cruxes of this thread and others about potential OU success revolves around the OU no-huddle. As I see it, the success of this offensive scheme comes down to these simple factors:

1. Opponents generally not prepared for it, because they don't see it that much, and not enough time to prepare for it in regular season.

2. Opponents in some cases not physically conditioned to play this up temp style of play

3. Favors teams with athleticism. All else equal, the more plays you run, and the faster you run them, this favors the better team, which in most instances is the OU offense. You have less time to defensively scheme, substitute, react adjust, etc, and you just get off more plays.

In the case of a bowl game vs UF, I would argue that Meyer and the Gators can at least partially mitigate/offset all of those advantages:

1. While they have not played against it yet per se, they do have 4-5 weeks to study and prepare for it, and practice using various methods like multiple scout teams (notwithstanding the "that is retarded" assertion by an illustrious poster earlier) So relatively, I think UF will be better off than most of OU's opponents during the regular season

2. Conditioning - Within a few weeks it is possible, IMO, to build up some conditioning for this, and I have read that Meyer has been doing this. Also, I would argue that UF players are just plain more athletic than most of OU's opponents on defense.

3. Unlike most of OU's opponents, I would argue that the defense of UF is the only team that matches up to OU offense in terms of athleticism. TX was the other example (look what happened, but I understand the hurry up was not used or not as much then). Maybe TCU - but perhaps their D success could be on scheme as much as athleticism, I don't know, don't care. I have seen numerous offensive schemes over the years result in offenses running over lesser quality opponents, but when run against teams of equal quality of athletes, the advantage greatly dissipates. Historically we have seen that at both OU and UF.

So that is why I don't think the no huddle will be as much of an advantage as some here believe, but again we will find out soon enough.