PDA

View Full Version : Layoff question

badger
1/6/2009, 10:42 AM
A serious topic:

In these trying economic times, anything can happen, as it turns out.

What do you say, and how do you act when you think you're about to lose your job?

What do you say, and how do you act when you're surrounded by people who you think are about to lose their jobs when you aren't going to yourself?

What do you say and how do you act when everyone, including yourself, is going to lose their job?

How do you handle such an awkward environment without being tactless and trying to maintain professionalism at the same time?

1890MilesToNorman
1/6/2009, 10:48 AM
My entire office was closed in 2005, about 120 folks. We had about a years notice which was great. Some banded together and started companies, others teamed up to look for new positions. The bottom line is most everyone helped their fellow worker since everyone was in the same boat.

NormanPride
1/6/2009, 10:51 AM
I've always followed the Golden Rule in this situation. Treat people how you would want to be treated. Of course, there are those that will take it poorly and unprofessionally, but you cannot get caught up in that atmosphere.

OklahomaTuba
1/6/2009, 11:39 AM
Just keep showing up, even after they can your @$$. It worked for Milton.

StoopTroup
1/6/2009, 11:40 AM
Smack em in the hands with a ruler if they come near you and scream "GO AWAY LEPER!". ;)

badger
1/6/2009, 12:13 PM
I wish I had happy pills right about now.

As you can probably guess, I fall into one of the categories listed above. I won't say which one for privacy reasons and such. It was one big, tense, awkward, sad, silent and awful moment rolled into one.

captain_surly
1/6/2009, 12:20 PM
A serious topic:

In these trying economic times, anything can happen, as it turns out.

What do you say, and how do you act when you think you're about to lose your job?

If you think you're about to lose your job you should continue to do it to the best of your ability while actively looking for a new job.

What do you say, and how do you act when you're surrounded by people who you think are about to lose their jobs when you aren't going to yourself?

If I worked with a friend and I knew that person was going to be let go I would tell them in confidence only if I knew I could trust them. Otherwise, mum's the word.

What do you say and how do you act when everyone, including yourself, is going to lose their job?

That depends on the circumstances. If there is a severance package involved I would give a good effort to the very end. If there was a critical reference involved I'd give a decent effort in wrapping things up. If there is nothing on the line it's anarchy.

How do you handle such an awkward environment without being tactless and trying to maintain professionalism at the same time?

NP's quote about the Golden Rule is appropriate here.

soonerboomer93
1/6/2009, 01:09 PM

As you can probably guess, I fall into one of the categories listed above. I won't say which one for privacy reasons and such. It was one big, tense, awkward, sad, silent and awful moment rolled into one.

If you're planning on always having a career in the same industry, the simple advise is to remember that you never know when you will work with one of your current co-workers again and what their position will be.

In other words, just keep on doing the best work possible and don't rock the boat anymore then usual. If you're one of the people staying, be gracious on anothers last day and wish them luck. Just like they were departing under better circumstances.

StoopTroup
1/6/2009, 01:16 PM

Stuff like this sucks.

I've seen the other side too. We've had a few folks retire and some others leave to go do something else and sometimes I felt jealous of them leaving. So...what I'm saying is...these folks may have just been given a gift. Change can be a good thing. Look at it more like they have an opportunity ahead of them. Those that feel it's a curse will probably not do well initially in trying to find a new job. Wish them luck. Those that need help can get help. Those that need a Headhunter will get one.

Let's hope they all move on to something better.

Chin up!

ST

KsSooner
1/6/2009, 01:24 PM
Badger - being in the aircraft industry for over 20 years, I have been in each of the situations that you have described. Extremely stressful going to work each day with the uncertainty that hung over the work place.
Guess my only advice is to acknowlege that everyone else is going through the same thing. Each person is different though, some want to talk about their fears, others would rather not.
I worked closely with 6 other guys and we talked about it daily. Two out of that six were eventually laid off. I felt bad for them because they were good employees, with 20+ years experience, but relieved that it wasn't me.
Think NormanPride has it covered.

Turd_Ferguson
1/6/2009, 02:06 PM
Attempt to fornicate with all the wimmin's before the drop dead date.

SoonerJack
1/6/2009, 02:32 PM
Stay positive, even if you are one of those unfortunate ones who is being downsized. It will help immensely in whatever you are planning to do in the future.

SoonerBoomer93 brings up an excellent point in regard to the fact that you never know where others will wind up. If you burn bridges now you may eat crow later (Good gravy. Did I just say that?).

soonerboomer93
1/6/2009, 02:43 PM
Attempt to fornicate with all the wimmin's before the drop dead date.

take pictures and share if you do

'cause we all love some hot girl on girl

badger
1/6/2009, 03:21 PM
Survivor's guilt abounds. It's amazing how quickly things can change without warning :(

texas bandman
1/6/2009, 03:37 PM
I have been lucky that I have only been through one Reduction In Force in my 26 years of teaching and that was over 20 years ago. I was one of the lucky ones that got to stay. I just tried to be compassionate to those that were terminated as I could. I tried to lend them an ear when they needed to vent or a shoulder on which they could cry. One of the hardest things was the inequity of it. Some really good teachers were let go because of lack of seniority while terrible ones who needed to go were kept. This episode was one of the main reasons I left that district and moved to Texas.

I'll put you in my prayers.

Breadburner
1/6/2009, 05:03 PM
Start talking about guns and mercenary stuff alot....Show up to work in camo and things of that nature....My bet is you will be the one turning the lights out.......

badger
1/6/2009, 05:25 PM
:( sorry guys... I'm usually up for a lot of good natured humor, but today's been morbidly depressing (think "OU loses to Florida on Thursday" depressing) I've taken all of your advice to heart and such, but it's just a very, very sad situation.

Cam
1/6/2009, 07:03 PM
No matter which situation describes you, there are a couple things that are pretty basic IMO.

1) Do your job. Don't change what you've been doing.
2) Keep your mouth shut if you know somebody else is gone and they don't know yet. Be supportive once they've been told, but do your best to act like you know nothing.
3) Remember that it's business. It's easier said than done, but if you take it personally, you'll never get over it.

The first time I got laid off, I knew about it a month and a half before everybody else did, even my boss. I kept working my tail off the entire time. Two weeks later, I got a recommendation from a Mngr from a different group, got the job and a 20% raise from what I was making when I got laid off. Add in the severance that I got and I made out pretty damn well.

soonerboomer93
1/6/2009, 07:13 PM
sounds like someone has violated the golden rule

only do layoffs and firings on a friday (or end of last shift of the week) whenever possible

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2009, 07:48 PM
sounds like someone has violated the golden rule

only do layoffs and firings on a friday (or end of last shift of the week) whenever possible

Yup. Gives the fired person time to cool down while the office is unoccupied.

Of course, a Friday before a three-day weekend is bad. That just gives them the 72-hour waiting period. ;)

Badger, sorry about what's going on at your office. I've never had to go through a reduction in force, nor have I ever been laid off or fired. Can't imagine how stressed that'd make me (you've heard of not sweating the small stuff? NOTHING is small stuff to me. I can stay up all night stressing out about putting a small scratch on a rental car.)

OUAlumni1990
1/6/2009, 08:31 PM
I've been caught in layoffs a couple of times over the years. If it were me that got laid off, I would simply start looking for another job. If everyone around me was getting laid off and not me, I would still start looking for a job.

These kinds of things don't bother me anymore, its just business, and you should treat it as such. Just like failing to negotiate a car deal, just get up and walk away. Then try again...

A Sooner in Texas
1/6/2009, 10:30 PM
That's a tough situation no matter which end you're on, Badger, and there's no way to put a pretty face on it.
That said, you can be sympathetic to those leaving, but only to a degree...first of all, to retain your professionalism and your employer's confidence in you, and second to protect yourself from those who would either emotionally prey too much on your sympathy or verbally take out their anger on you.
I've been on both sides, and neither feels good. I hope you get through this as easily as possible. My sympathies and lots of good wishes from all of us for you.

OU-HSV
1/7/2009, 09:16 PM
We had a few rounds of layoffs at my office lately. I think they're over now. All I know is that some of the people they let go deserved it....while others didn't and a couple were surprises to most of us. I don't know that there's a way to prepare yourself to get laid off...It's gonna suck whether a person is prepared for it or not I'm assuming.

Today at my office they announced we can't work the 4-10's schedule anymore that most of us jumped all over when the option was given to us last year. It's total bullcrap...and I won't be surprised if some good employees quit soon because of this on top of many other things they've taken away from us. So for now I'll be back to 4-9's and 4 hours on Friday. What a waste of a Friday morning.

badger
1/13/2009, 08:15 AM
One week later, I can tell you that there is nothing more depressing than layoffs for office morale. I haven't seen nor heard from the people let go. It's almost like they've left forever and we're all mourning the loss still.

So anyways, if you have a business or plan to start one, avoid layoffs if at all possible. Do hiring freezes, don't replace lost workers when people move to other jobs or retire, shuffle your existing staff around, but don't do layoffs. It is a killer.

olevetonahill
1/13/2009, 09:46 AM
I can agree that Layoffs are a Bitch , But when It comes down to It the Company is IN buisness to Make Money.Not people Happy .
Just sayin