PDA

View Full Version : UMES Review/Overall Non Conference Grade

OUSKINS
1/6/2009, 08:32 AM
Went to the Maryland Eastern Shore game....out of 343 D1 teams, UMES was ranked 338th in the RPI going into this game......after watching them, I think that ranking may be kind.

Actually, they had a few kids shoot the ball pretty well, but they were as
under-talented a basketball team as I've ever seen. Maine is the only other team we've played this year that's quite at THAT level-- Miss Valley St. would school these guys.

So, obviously, you look beyond the score and try to find things to analyze. OU pretty much went through the motions tonight. For those that don't know, Jeff Capel was in the hospital recovering from a virus-- assistant coach Mark Cline led the charges tonight. Now, coach Cline can say that the team averages 100 points a game when he's in charge. Yep, OU scored in triple digits for the first time since the 2004-2005 season.

Once again, the bench played a bunch, and they played pretty well. Orlando Allen was especially good-- showing some nice post moves and getting 5 blocks. He's just a bit too raw to see much action against better competiton right now, but it looks like he's worth developing for the future-- we're going to need all the help we can get once Blake leaves.

Ray Willis again showed a innate ability to score and Kyle Cannon got in on the action as well-- he hit the three that put us over the 100 point mark.

The only "negative" I took from this game was Taylor Griffin-- he continues to struggle out there and seems to be having some real confidence issues. We'll need him to get it together as Big 12 arrives.

My overall grade for the team after the non conference games:

B+

It wasn't quite an A, not because we lost to Arkansas, but because we played so poorly at times in that game and because we've seemed to lack interest at other points during our first 15 games.

However, it's still a WELL above average grade because 14-1 is pretty darn good and we showed plenty of flashes of being a dangerous and potentially explosive team.

What I know.....

--Blake needs to bring the energy every night. When he doesn't, the entire team seems to follow.

--When Crocker scores, our offense looks fluid, when he doesn't, it looks
stagnant.

--Willie Warren is WAY ahead of schedule-- I'm already beginning to worry we could lose him after one year....he has the game for the NBA-- I'm just hoping his "tweener" size keeps him from making the jump quite yet. As long as he's on the floor, OU will be a dangerous team.

--Ryan Wright has been a disappointment. Hasn't really given us the depth we were hoping for...either he needs to play better or Allen needs more minutes.

All in all, we didn't play any elite teams yet, but we played quite a few good
teams that will be in the Tourney come March-- and we beat them all, save for the loss in Arkansas.

Obviously, everyone is looking forward to the UT game next Monday night in
Norman....I know I am. But first, we have to play at K-State. The Wildcats are EXACTLY the type of team that could give us problems this year. KSU is nothing special at all (maybe an NIT team), but they have enough talent to burn us at home if we go through the motions. I think we'll be able to gauge a bit of something about our maturity level after Saturday.

Sooner04
1/6/2009, 01:07 PM
Good, good recap. A few talking points:

---I'm as surprised about Taylor's flailing in the wind as you are. After the first few games, I thought he'd be a supreme garbage man. I thought he'd be waiting on the weakside of the rim every time Blake was doubled and that he'd muck his way to 12 and 7-8 every time out. That obviously hasn't happened. Now he can't even hit his free throws.

---Ryan Wright's minutes need to be dispersed elsewhere for the time being. I liked the little jumper he showed last night, but he's still far too weak with the ball. Turnover central.

---I'd like Crocker to take at least ten shots a game. I don't want him to miss his first three and go into a shell. I'd also like to see him attack the rim a little more.

---WW will be gone if he continues to play anywhere near like this in conference play. He's a phenomenal basketball player.

---I want to see more of Cannon and Willis, but they're not good enough on the defensive end to warrant the playing time. It amazes me how Willis gets points. Somehow, someway.

---I mentioned it in the other thread, but Capel is 0 for 6 on the road in the North. That needs to change post haste.

Boomer.....
1/6/2009, 02:24 PM
Good, good recap. A few talking points:

---I'm as surprised about Taylor's flailing in the wind as you are. After the first few games, I thought he'd be a supreme garbage man. I thought he'd be waiting on the weakside of the rim every time Blake was doubled and that he'd muck his way to 12 and 7-8 every time out. That obviously hasn't happened. Now he can't even hit his free throws.
He was looking so good at the beginning of the season. Don't know what has happened to him. He definitely needs to work on the ft's.
---Ryan Wright's minutes need to be dispersed elsewhere for the time being. I liked the little jumper he showed last night, but he's still far too weak with the ball. Turnover central.
Not showing much at all.
---I'd like Crocker to take at least ten shots a game. I don't want him to miss his first three and go into a shell. I'd also like to see him attack the rim a little more.
Has been shooting with a lot more confidence lately. Hopefully it will remain through conference play. We need him!
---WW will be gone if he continues to play anywhere near like this in conference play. He's a phenomenal basketball player.
I dead set at the beginning of the season that he could not go straight into the NBA. Now with the way he has been playing, I'm not so sure. I would like to see him penetrate a little more.
---I want to see more of Cannon and Willis, but they're not good enough on the defensive end to warrant the playing time. It amazes me how Willis gets points. Somehow, someway.
Cannon has not looked very comfortable yet, although he did some nice things last night. Willis should get some more playing time.
---I mentioned it in the other thread, but Capel is 0 for 6 on the road in the North. That needs to change post haste.
Definitely will.

Agree with both of you.

Boomer.....
1/6/2009, 02:25 PM
duplicate

Boomer.....
1/6/2009, 02:26 PM
duplicate