PDA

View Full Version : We talkin' 'bout practicing...

catsigater
1/5/2009, 11:09 PM
Leave it to Meyer...

excerpt ...(T)he Gators should be freaked out. And until Monday, they certainly sounded freaked out. So that was my story. Poor Gators. They're scared of the no-huddle.

Turns out, they were lying.

Like UF coach Urban Meyer wasn't going to be ready, right? In a profession of friggin' control freaks and anal geniuses, Meyer is the biggest control freak, the most anal, of them all. (All due respect.) And he and his staff came up with a plan to get ready for Oklahoma's no-huddle attack, a plan sniffed out by yours truly. And it's a hell of a plan.

The Florida defense hasn't been working in practice against an offense as fast as Oklahoma's.

Florida has worked against an offense that's even faster.

How is that possible? I'll tell you how, and it's devious. Meyer wasn't content to make his defense defend a UF scout team simulating the Sooners' offense. He had them defend two offenses:

One scout-team offense to run the play. A second scout-team offense waiting, as soon as the whistle blew, to sprint onto the field and run the next play. Then the first unit runs a play. Then the second. Back and forth the scout team offenses go, one play leading to the next to the next to the next, with no break for the defense.

That's how Meyer has gotten the Gators ready.

"We tried to over-exaggerate things," said Sean Cronin, the UF assistant coach in charge of the scout team. "We try to overdo it, make the defense see something they couldn't possibly see in the game."

That has worked for the Gators in other games this season. To prepare for explosive Vanderbilt quarterback Chris Nickson, Florida's scout team put a variety of running backs and receivers at quarterback, anyone who could match, or better yet top, Nickson's athletic ability. Turned out pretty well. Florida won 42-14...

... Dealing with the Oklahoma no-huddle is more convoluted than dealing with any one player, of course. The Sooners have turned the no-huddle into a 21st-century, high-tech version of their famed wishbone, which they used to bludgeon foes in the 1970s and '80s for the simple reason that opposing teams couldn't prepare for it. Nobody ran it with the precision, or the NFL-caliber athletes, of Oklahoma.

That was the wishbone of 1978, and it's the no-huddle of 2008. Nobody does it like Oklahoma, which this season became the first team in major college history to have a quarterback throw for 4,000 yards and two 1,000-yard running backs. That kind of skill, coming at the tempo Oklahoma operates, wears a defense down.

"Sometimes you can tell," said OU center Jon Cooper. "They're pointing fingers or their sideline is screaming. You can tell when they're breaking down."

The Sooners plan on it. They spend the summer going through hellacious conditioning drills in that heinous Oklahoma heat to get their bodies into shape for the physical, and mental, warfare of fall.

"Some time after halftime, the other team is getting tired and we still have a full tank," said Oklahoma receiver Ryan Broyles. "So many times we're able to run a play before they're even set."

Not this time. Not against this Florida defense. That's what the Gators say. That's how they've been preparing, anyway.
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11226794

The Maestro
1/5/2009, 11:16 PM
Somehow Houston NUTT was able to outcoach this genius in Gainesville.

This sounds like a gimmick tactic not related to reality, so enjoy that Urban.

Sounds like practicing for a gun shot by squirting ketchup on your shirt.

CrimsonJim
1/5/2009, 11:18 PM
Yep, that's what Pokey State did too - unoriginal - didn't work. Lossa luck. :)

adoniijahsooner
1/5/2009, 11:18 PM
As long as they have a all world offensive line, An accurate quarterback, and All-America tight end, they'll be good to go.

StoopTroup
1/5/2009, 11:21 PM
We're so screwed. They will crush us. :rolleyes:

Mark_in_Tulsa
1/5/2009, 11:26 PM
It will still wear down the D, and will force them to have the wrong personnel out there.

cheezyq
1/5/2009, 11:29 PM
Unless Meyer is using a Twister board to teach defensive line moves, I think we'll be ok. ;)

Mudskipper
1/5/2009, 11:32 PM
because everyone knows that Florida has not one, but two scout teams who can match the talent of OU's first team:rolleyes:

AimForCenterMass
1/5/2009, 11:48 PM
I think this would be the most effective way to practice for the no-huddle offense and I can see how the two-team simulation would help prepare a defense for the quick attack of Oklahoma.

If this style of practice indeed helps Florida keep up with the pace of Oklahoma's no-huddle, everything is going to come down to execution. I have no doubt Florida will be tackling well, so Oklahoma needs to be firing on all cylinders.

Even with a month to prepare, Oklahoma (or any offensive team in the no-huddle) will have the edge over the defense, especially one that doesn't have a season's worth of practice in the style. In Oklahoma's case, they've perfected the strategy and from a defensive standpoint, Florida can only react to OU's pace.

Even if Florida is able to neutralize the no-huddle, they'll still have to contend with the diversity of OU's attack. I do have my worries about this game, but I'm hoping for an OU victory: 38-31

Readyfor8
1/6/2009, 01:18 AM
I don't believe any scout team, or second team offense, or first team offense for that matter can simulate what we do. Do they have our play book? Do they have our offensive production on their first team?

Does this help them prepare, probably but no matter how they prepare for the intensity we hold on offense, they still won't be able to reproduce game time decisions or communication and that is where the offense truly disrupts defensive schemes.

Kudos to Meyer though, seems like he is putting his best effort and thinking outside the box.

Jmorales22
1/6/2009, 02:56 AM
I hope they wear themselves down praticing at that pace so they're gassed by gametime.

SoonerShark
1/6/2009, 03:04 AM
I worry though, we played three weeks in a row at 7:00 p.m. in freezing weather and scored 60+ points per game. Too bad we could not have played this game in the cold for a fourth straight week.

FirstandGoal
1/6/2009, 03:36 AM
I'm not worried unless I hear they have been lifting weights.

Then we're screwed

dingyibvs
1/6/2009, 04:04 AM
Yep, that's what Pokey State did too - unoriginal - didn't work. Lossa luck. :)

OSU's problem is that they simply don't have any quality depth. If I remember correctly, they actually did a fairly good job keeping up to start the game, but started getting worn down near the end of the first half and just collapsed in the second half. Florida has much better depth than OSU and running out of gas won't be nearly as much of a problem. However, more liberal substitutions will ensure that UF won't be able to play defense at top level the whole game and consequently you should have some good plays. In the end, don't expect the same results as the OSU game.

Okie35
1/6/2009, 05:07 AM
OSU's problem is that they simply don't have any quality depth. If I remember correctly, they actually did a fairly good job keeping up to start the game, but started getting worn down near the end of the first half and just collapsed in the second half. Florida has much better depth than OSU and running out of gas won't be nearly as much of a problem. However, more liberal substitutions will ensure that UF won't be able to play defense at top level the whole game and consequently you should have some good plays. In the end, don't expect the same results as the OSU game.

ohh i know for sure i dont expect the same results in the osu game... i expect a final score much closer w/ OU on top...

sooneredaco
1/6/2009, 05:23 AM
Actually I don't think it will be as close as most think it will be. Mark my words, Oklahoma by at least two TD's.

SoonersEnFuego
1/6/2009, 07:21 AM
Waiting for the other team to run on the field and get set is a break. Sometimes OU runs plays faster than that. We'll see.

oumartin
1/6/2009, 07:33 AM
Did anyone see how gassed Ohio State was last night and Texas fast break offense isn't anything like Oklahomas, If you don't think yer UF boys will be gassed you are sadly mistaken.

you may have depth but if your depth can't get on the field due to the pace the depth does you no good!

Hot Rod
1/6/2009, 08:25 AM
Uh, why are they practicing to get ready for our fast offense? I thought they were already "fast".

Boomer Mooner
1/6/2009, 08:30 AM

We don't. We expect a crystal trophy after this one.

PLaw
1/6/2009, 08:44 AM
catisgater needs to ask Gumby how that practice strategy worked out.

At the end of the day, the game will be decided by whether or not UF has enough depth in the front seven to keep players fresh and whether or not OU's offense can maintain the same level of efficiency that it played with during the season.

A long layoff generally favors the defense because the timing will be off for the offense. So, can OU get untracked soon enough to wear down UF's D.

BOOMER

mobilesteve
1/6/2009, 09:33 AM
That has worked for the Gators in other games this season. To prepare for explosive Vanderbilt quarterback Chris Nickson, Florida's scout team put a variety of running backs and receivers at quarterback, anyone who could match, or better yet top, Nickson's athletic ability. Turned out pretty well. Florida won 42-14...

I must have been the only one who caught that nugget. First, I'll say who? Next, I'll ask did they call Vandy explosive?!? They must mean a different team.

StoopTroup
1/6/2009, 10:58 AM
I think this would be the most effective way to practice for the no-huddle offense and I can see how the two-team simulation would help prepare a defense for the quick attack of Oklahoma.

If this style of practice indeed helps Florida keep up with the pace of Oklahoma's no-huddle, everything is going to come down to execution. I have no doubt Florida will be tackling well, so Oklahoma needs to be firing on all cylinders.

Even with a month to prepare, Oklahoma (or any offensive team in the no-huddle) will have the edge over the defense, especially one that doesn't have a season's worth of practice in the style. In Oklahoma's case, they've perfected the strategy and from a defensive standpoint, Florida can only react to OU's pace.

Even if Florida is able to neutralize the no-huddle, they'll still have to contend with the diversity of OU's attack. I do have my worries about this game, but I'm hoping for an OU victory: 38-31

It just goes to show you that they are concerned as hell.

All this "They haven't played a decent Team or played us" BS smells of them wetting themselves in the 1st quarter.

I'm amazed by your post...I really thought you were leaning towards a phlorida win.

Glad your at least hoping. :eek:

cheezyq
1/6/2009, 11:01 AM

I must have been the only one who caught that nugget. First, I'll say who? Next, I'll ask did they call Vandy explosive?!? They must mean a different team.

I caught that too. What was funny to me is that they had to "gameplan" for him. That would be like us saying we had to "gameplan" to stop Robert Griffin. Sure, he's a good player and all, but it's freakin' Baylor.

Dan Thompson
1/6/2009, 11:07 AM
It would be a nice surprise if Sam could call some of the plays and speed up the offense a bit more, or call for a snap while FU is still changing players.

Crucifax Autumn
1/6/2009, 11:36 AM
The simple fact that they are "running in another squad" is proof that the tactic is retarded. By the time they get the second squad lined up we'd already be lining up AFTER that play.

CrimsonJim
1/6/2009, 12:38 PM

They did a fairly good job of what? Not getting tired? We had 21 points at halftime, so if that's considered fairly good....ok, I'll give 'em that. And I am not under the illusion that Florida doesn't have better depth - that is a given.

We will just have to see how deep they are at their front seven, and how well their twos and threes perform when & if they are able to get in the game, because there will be very little time for substitutions as we run the same players in many different sets. If we don't substitute, we don't have to give them time to substitute and will snap the ball while they're trying.

If the long lay off hasn't disrupted our timing (which often happens), it will be a very long day for the Gator defense. How soon the Gators get winded depends on how long it takes our offense to get on track. I'm not real high on prognosticating because there's no way in hael any of us know what will happen, but I anticipate a Sooner win by 7ish. I anticipate a very entertaining game.

CaliBornSoonerBred
1/6/2009, 01:10 PM
They did a fairly good job of what? Not getting tired? We had 21 points at halftime, so if that's considered fairly good....ok, I'll give 'em that. And I am not under the illusion that Florida doesn't have better depth - that is a given.

We will just have to see how deep they are at their front seven, and how well their twos and threes perform when & if they are able to get in the game, because there will be very little time for substitutions as we run the same players in many different sets. If we don't substitute, we don't have to give them time to substitute and will snap the ball while they're trying.

If the long lay off hasn't disrupted our timing (which often happens), it will be a very long day for the Gator defense. How soon the Gators get winded depends on how long it takes our offense to get on track. I'm not real high on prognosticating because there's no way in hael any of us know what will happen, but I anticipate a Sooner win by 7ish. I anticipate a very entertaining game.

The main key to the offense's success this year has been the ability to run multiple sets with the same personel. Yes, this will wear a defense down but when we run a power I on 3rd and 2, get the first, then go 4 wide out of the gun......there's the matchup problems. The key is matchups and grinding down the defense as we have done during this great stretch. If we force them to having a heavy defensive front 7 to stop the run, then explode out with a 4/5 wide set in the gun, it will give favorable matchups to slot receivers, tight ends, and backs running routes. If we can do this, I like our chances on the offensvie side of the ball.

CrimsonJim
1/6/2009, 02:26 PM
If? If!? I say WHEN! :)

o0Dan0o
1/6/2009, 03:53 PM

They did a good job of keeping up, but not because of their defense. They stopped us three times in the whole game, all in the first quarter. After that, we scored on every single drive, four of them being 74 yards or longer and another of 65 yards.
Dan

AimForCenterMass
1/6/2009, 04:58 PM
It just goes to show you that they are concerned as hell.

Respectfully, I disagree. I would expect every opposing team to prepare in the most efficient ways they see fit. Coach Meyer is doing his best to simulate what his team is likely to encounter and his strategy does not imply "they are concerned as hell". Instead, these actions indicate he wants to prepare his players the best he can, just like any other coach would in any other game.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Coach Stoops is doing his best to simulate Tebow and the Florida offense; infer what you will.

All this "They haven't played a decent Team or played us" BS smells of them wetting themselves in the 1st quarter.

To me, this kind of talk implies overconfidence stemmed from incomplete comparisons, although I doubt anyone will be wetting himself.

I'm amazed by your post...I really thought you were leaning towards a phlorida win.

Glad your at least hoping. :eek:

I'm trying to be as objective as I possibly can. Just because I want to see Oklahoma win, does not mean they will. If Oklahoma was demonstrably unbeatable, I might offer a different analysis.

toast
1/6/2009, 04:58 PM
The simple fact that they are "running in another squad" is proof that the tactic is retarded. By the time they get the second squad lined up we'd already be lining up AFTER that play.

Obviously you don't know about Florida's team speed, even the players on the scout teams run sub 4.4's. The scout teams were out there so fast that they had to show the practice films in slow motion just so the coaches could see what happened.

Which makes me wonder, since Florida's players are so fast are their practices over in half the time of other team's practices?