PDA

View Full Version : UF's Spikes: Big XII Defenses are a Joke

OUMallen
1/5/2009, 05:50 PM
I think there's going to be a pre-game brawl.

"Florida's Spikes calls Big 12 defenses a joke
January 5, 2009 4:28 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Just when you thought most of the smack talk
was over between the teams leading up to the FedEx BCS National
Championship Game, Florida middle linebacker Brandon Spikes unloaded
on Oklahoma during Monday's Media Day at Dolphin Stadium.
Clearly, he's not a big fan of the Sooners' defense, and that's
putting it mildly.

"If they can stop our offense, hey, my hat goes off to them," Spikes
said. "But I really don't think they can. As long as we play well on
defense, give the ball back to Tim (Tebow) and the rest of those guys,
we should roll."

And with that, Spikes took off the gloves -- probably telling you a
couple of things. One, he's pretty confident about Thursday's game.
Two, he's probably headed to the NFL after this game, because he sure
didn't seem very concerned about the ramifications of saying too much
to the media.

"You keep hearing they've done this and scored all these points in the
last five games," Spikes said. "But I really feel like they haven't
faced a defense like ours, and Big 12 defenses are a joke. It's always
like a bunch of basketball scores when I watch SportsCenter. So we'll
see."

Spikes said the Sooners are "living in a fantasy world" with some of
the things they've said about Tebow not even being among the top
quarterbacks if he played in the Big 12.

"Deep down, they know what they're going to get," Spikes said. "I
don't know if they're trying to pump each other up or what. That's
just crazy to say something like that."

Florida running back Jeffery Demps went one better. He said the
Sooners "must be on something" to suggest that Tebow would be no
better than the fourth best quarterback in the Big 12.

Hey, if the game's this good Thursday, we should be in for a treat.

BASSooner
1/5/2009, 06:11 PM
let the florida guys keep their mouths running. they have no idea whats about to hit em. I think playing against an SEC team is an advantage to us

OUMallen
1/5/2009, 06:12 PM
I have never seen this level of trashtalk before a college game.

I really believe this bodes well for us. They actually think they are as good as everyone says they are.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/5/2009, 06:16 PM
Franks should have kept his mouth shut, but bring it.

adoniijahsooner
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

tulsaoilerfan
You know, i never wish for anything bad to happen to an opponent, but i'm almost willing to make an exception for this game

adoniijahsooner
1/5/2009, 06:17 PM

Franks hit a nerve, and Florida is talking crazy.

bri
1/5/2009, 06:19 PM
'Nique punched the bully back, and now the bully is freaking the f*ck out.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/5/2009, 06:24 PM
Franks hit a nerve, and Florida is talking crazy.

yep, i just like to brag about how humble our kids are. i don't think trash talking and motivation wins games. we still gotta play, and i don't think this adds any motivation to florida's will to win.

StoopTroup
1/5/2009, 06:24 PM
I don't care if we can stop them from scoring 20-30 points in this game...

What they better worry about is stopping our Offense.

Nobody has slowed us down in quite awhile.

My hat goes off to them if they can. :D

adoniijahsooner
1/5/2009, 06:29 PM
I don't care if we can stop them from scoring 20-30 points in this game...

What they better worry about is stopping our Offense.

Nobody has slowed us down in quite awhile.

My hat goes off to them if they can. :D

That is what got me excited; a defensive player talking trash, and motivating our o-line. if they dont blitz Sam will have 10 seconds to throw on every pass play. "A fantasy world"?:mad:

SoonerRecon
1/5/2009, 06:33 PM
Thursday cannot get here soon enough...

Buckwheat
1/5/2009, 06:34 PM
Brandon knows jokes.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/153/345410726_0a45cd341b.jpg

SoonerBoognish
1/5/2009, 06:35 PM
Funny thing is, he's talking **** that he can't back up. When will he be on the field at the same time as the other defense? I wish Everage or some other mean sum bitch was on the team. Then his offensive teammates might not appreciate the target he's trying so hard to paint.

Hot Rod
1/5/2009, 06:43 PM
Usually people start talking out of their *** when they're scared. Spikes is just more proof of it.

GG84
1/5/2009, 06:43 PM
DATS MAH BOY.

adoniijahsooner
1/5/2009, 06:50 PM
Whatever happens, this game will not be lost by either team due to a lack of intensity.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/5/2009, 06:52 PM
The vibe I am getting from Florida is that they are openly cocky about this game. I wouldn't say arrogant, but definitely they are not limited to being just confident. They are flat-out cocky.

And I really like it. Because the vibe I am getting from our guys is that they are... ON. EDGE. The more I read, the more I feel like Dom shot off because he is about ready to explode with the non-stop cannonization of Tebow and UF. The collective simmering by OUr team is almost audible and tactile. They're ready.

Don't worry about "bringing it", UF. I think OUr boys are going to bring everything you need, and way more than you want.

And how about we stop calling him "Saint Tebow" until after the game. After all, isn't a hallmark of sainthood martyrdom?

Let's stuff that Gator in a hollowed-out log and saw it in half!

BOOMER SOONER!

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2009, 06:54 PM
DATS MAH BOY.

You're his father and you let him dress like that in public?

The Maestro
1/5/2009, 06:55 PM

don't know if we're trying to pump each other or what. That's
just crazy to wear something like that."

Hot Rod
1/5/2009, 06:55 PM
PTI guy just went off on what Dom said, as if he called their defense or offense a joke or any other name, but failed to even question why he said that. The other guy (black dude) took up for Dom saying Tebow started it when saying he'd "love to take a crack at big12 defense". And SEC teams didn't think Utah could play D. Rude awakening slowly creeping up on Thuirsday!

Dan Thompson
1/5/2009, 06:58 PM
Gator, it's what for dinner.

adoniijahsooner
1/5/2009, 07:11 PM
don't know if we're trying to pump each other or what. That's
just crazy to wear something like that."

The corn rolls make it look much worse, if thats possible.

UTgradOUfan
1/5/2009, 07:17 PM
Does any of this trash talk and attitude remind anyone other than me of the hubris we heard from the last team from Florida we played in a championship game? Sure sounds familiar to me. Tebow=Weinke etc, etc
I really feel as if this game is going to be a lot similar to that game. How many points did Weinke and that "awesome" FSU offense score on our D: NONE!
Let 'em talk.

sooner2b09
1/5/2009, 07:17 PM
****ing bring it florida.

I am now more pumped then ever for this game.

****ing bring it

cheezyq
1/5/2009, 07:20 PM
I'm a little disappointed in Franks. FU players have been trying all month to goad OU players into talking trash. They're LOOKING for motivation. They're using EVERYTHING to feel slighted about so that they can point to it and say "they don't respect us".

Something tells me that these FU guys really don't know what to expect, and they're trying to bait OU players into focusing on unimportant jive talk.

adoniijahsooner
1/5/2009, 07:23 PM
I'm a little disappointed in Franks. FU players have been trying all month to goad OU players into talking trash. They're LOOKING for motivation. They're using EVERYTHING to feel slighted about so that they can point to it and say "they don't respect us".

Something tells me that these FU guys really don't know what to expect, and they're trying to bait OU players into focusing on unimportant jive talk.

franks did okay, because he got Tebow involved in it, while Sam is in film room studying his *** off.

cheezyq
1/5/2009, 07:27 PM
franks did okay, because he got Tebow involved in it, while Sam is in film room studying his *** off.

Yeah, I'm just a bit disappointed because you know that it's EXACTLY what FU has been trying to accomplish with all their garbage spewing.

PDXsooner
1/5/2009, 07:32 PM
Clearly I'm in the minority, but I LOVE THIS STUFF!!! I think this stuff is good for the game, and if that's what it takes to get your competitive juices flowing, then great!

I LOVE IT!!!

PDXsooner
1/5/2009, 07:34 PM
Is there a link anywhere? I can't find it.

swardboy
1/5/2009, 07:35 PM
I believe these are competitive juices overflowing. Thursday night can't get here soon enough!

Okie35
1/5/2009, 07:50 PM
DATS MAH BOY.

that can't cover and will get burnt :D

PDXsooner
1/5/2009, 07:51 PM
hello, buehler? Link?

fadada1
1/5/2009, 08:08 PM
Brandon knows jokes.

who paid for that suit???

never mind, there's a huge GOODWILL in gainesville.

fadada1
1/5/2009, 08:11 PM
Clearly I'm in the minority, but I LOVE THIS STUFF!!! I think this stuff is good for the game, and if that's what it takes to get your competitive juices flowing, then great!

I LOVE IT!!!

i love it as well - but only as long as the media recognizes it's coming from both teams. be biased, but be biased to both teams. oh wait, that's not being biased. yeah, do that!!!

RoaminSooner
1/5/2009, 08:42 PM
"Florida's Spikes calls Big 12 defenses a joke

January 5, 2009 4:28 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Just when you thought most of the smack talk was over between the teams leading up to the FedEx BCS National Championship Game, Florida middle linebacker Brandon Spikes unloaded on Oklahoma during Monday's Media Day at Dolphin Stadium.

Clearly, he's not a big fan of the Sooners' defense, and that's putting it mildly.

"If they can stop our offense, hey, my hat goes off to them," Spikes said. "But I really don't think they can. As long as we play well on defense, give the ball back to Tim (Tebow) and the rest of those guys, we should roll."

And with that, Spikes took off the gloves -- probably telling you a couple of things. One, he's pretty confident about Thursday's game. Two, he's probably headed to the NFL after this game, because he sure didn't seem very concerned about the ramifications of saying too much to the media.

"You keep hearing they've done this and scored all these points in the last five games," Spikes said. "But I really feel like they haven't faced a defense like ours, and Big 12 defenses are a joke. It's always like a bunch of basketball scores when I watch SportsCenter. So we'll see."

Spikes said the Sooners are "living in a fantasy world" with some of the things they've said about Tebow not even being among the top quarterbacks if he played in the Big 12.

"Deep down, they know what they're going to get," Spikes said. "I don't know if they're trying to pump each other up or what. That's just crazy to say something like that."

Florida running back Jeffery Demps went one better. He said the Sooners "must be on something" to suggest that Tebow would be no better than the fourth best quarterback in the Big 12.

Hey, if the game's this good Thursday, we should be in for a treat.

FedEx BCS National Championship Game, Florida Gators, Brandon Spikes, Tim Tebow, Jeffery Demps, Oklahoma Sooners"

It looks like the media has set the wheels in motion. I have never heard a game of this level have this much smack talk. Their will be some serious jawing and trash talking on Thursday Night. Throw in some hard hitting and we have us a damn good game headed our way. I can assure you, the Sooners are not intimidated and it appears the yapping by Spikes is an effort to respond to the Dom and to fire up his players.

raquetclub
1/5/2009, 11:12 PM
I have heard that journalists are asking leading questions on both sides and then cutting the quotes in such a way as to make them seem more inflammatory...

Good entertainment though :pop:

PDXsooner
1/5/2009, 11:16 PM
Link?

Boomer Mooner
1/5/2009, 11:25 PM
Brandon knows jokes.

Brandon washes his white suit and his panties in the same load.

withrmanOU
1/5/2009, 11:33 PM
WHOA Texas on the ropes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collier11
1/5/2009, 11:33 PM
I love it, I love it, I love it!!! Makes game week that much more fun to me

OUMonster
1/6/2009, 12:49 AM
Brandon knows jokes.

I'm sure the guy can play football just by being told what direction to run to before each play, but he doesn't exactly look like someone who is going to be working for NASA anytime soon. Granted it's just a picture so who knows.

SoonerFanatic
1/6/2009, 01:06 AM
Brandon knows jokes.

Who in their right mind would wear such an obscene suit??? Seriously, where would you even go to buy such a POS suit like that? Pimps-R-Us???

SF

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/6/2009, 01:11 AM
The weirdest part is, what's that pilot doing?

SoonerBoognish
1/6/2009, 01:24 AM
who paid for that suit???

never mind, there's a huge GOODWILL in gainesville.

[/URL][URL="http://imageshack.us"]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9871/dd1wk1.jpg (http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dd1wk1.jpg)
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/dd1wk1.jpg/1/w565.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img230/dd1wk1.jpg/1/)

Desert Sapper
1/6/2009, 01:29 AM
It takes a ridiculously bad dude to wear a pink suit. Spikes is the most ridiculously bad dude on the field Thursday. No doubt. I just hope we can get him to bite a few times.

Toronto Sooner
1/6/2009, 02:23 AM
Holy crap, even their midgets are now trying to talk smack. I must admit though, I am impressed about one thing - Mini-Me finally learned how to talk:

"Florida running back Jeffery Demps went one better. He said the Sooners 'must be on something' to suggest that Tebow would be no better than the fourth best quarterback in the Big 12."

I think it's great that the Florida is yapping it up. It's hard to believe some of the stuff they are saying. It's clear that they totally disrepects both OU's O and D. They obviously consider our players as being less than equals. Of course, anyone that has actually watched the Sooner games closely throughout the year clearly understands that this is a very special OU team, with perhaps one of the most ferocious offenses in the history of college football and a defense that is loaded with talent at every single position (the D finally reached its potential near the end of the season).

I hope that Florida increases the intensity of their trash talking as we get closer to kick off.

As Zohan (from the movie: You Don't Mess With The Zohan) says:

"This is good"

By the way, I wonder if Spikes borrowed (and is wearing under his gay pink suit) Rey Maualuga's pink thong that he wore to practice as the beginning of the 2008 season. I posted the link below.

WARNING: You might either go blind or vomit, or both

http://www.bannedinhollywood.com/rey-maualuga-thong-side-linebacker/

budbarrybob
1/6/2009, 03:22 AM
yep, i just like to brag about how humble our kids are. i don't think trash talking and motivation wins games. we still gotta play, and i don't think this adds any motivation to florida's will to win.

I wish we had a little more "motivation" against WV...

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2009, 03:38 AM

LOL....

What, are you scared?

I love what Franks said. He did not say anything that would not be true when looking at production this season.

Tebow would have been #3 in the Big 12 in Passin Eff.
Tebow would have been #5 in total points responsible for.
Tebow would have been #8 in total yards from scrimmage.

I created a thread yesterday...it was about watching this Gator team play.

They do not have a good DLine...the only way they have gotten pressure consistently against opposing QBs has been by blitzing CBs, Safeties, and LBs.

most of the time when they do blitze, they are bringin 6 total people, so we will be able to match them.

When they do blitze, their defense telegraphs it. And they drop into zone. This gives us a big time advantage.

The offensive line....welll, I will say this... LSU, Bama, Ole Miss, Georgia all got pressure on tebow without blitzing. I think our DLine is much better than anything those dumbasses from Gainesville has seen!

Spikes is a thug. IMHO, the only reason he is an AA is because he plays at Florida. He is not a whole helluva lot better than the LBs we have seen from Texas, TCU, OSU, and Cincy!

dingyibvs
1/6/2009, 04:05 AM
Yeah, I'm just a bit disappointed because you know that it's EXACTLY what FU has been trying to accomplish with all their garbage spewing.

And they succeeded. It'll be a preview of the game. You'll know what's coming, but you won't be able to stop it.

sooneredaco
1/6/2009, 05:05 AM
DATS MAH BOY.

Yeah i just saw a picture of your "boy" wearing a pink suit! I can't wait to shut his sissy arse up!

SoonerBacker
1/6/2009, 07:10 AM
“You get tired of people dogging on our defense like everybody is,” Oklahoma linebacker Travis Lewis said. “We’re going to show up, I guarantee you that. We would like to think that they’re going to score zero. We do have a defense, and we’re going out to prove it.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-bcschampionship&prov=ap&type=lgns

Hot Rod
1/6/2009, 08:12 AM
And they succeeded. It'll be a preview of the game. You'll know what's coming, but you won't be able to stop it.

Cool, so we're gonna finally see that they are all talk? Awesome!

No1Better
1/6/2009, 08:42 AM
Thursday night...it's gonna suck to be a florida gator

SoonersEnFuego
1/6/2009, 09:34 AM
Thursday night...it's gonna suck to be a florida gator
Doesn't it always?;) :D

soonerspudman
1/6/2009, 10:23 AM
I hope Spikes' brain works as fast as his mouth, he'll need it for OU's offense. I'm going to laugh on the game's first series when Gresham burns him for a 25 yard gain.

SOONER STEAKER
1/6/2009, 10:35 AM
Got my deep frier ready, how do you like your gator?

Soonersince57
1/6/2009, 11:31 AM
Holy crap, even their midgets are now trying to talk smack. I must admit though, I am impressed about one thing - Mini-Me finally learned how to talk:

"Florida running back Jeffery Demps went one better. He said the Sooners 'must be on something' to suggest that Tebow would be no better than the fourth best quarterback in the Big 12."

I think it's great that the Florida is yapping it up. It's hard to believe some of the stuff they are saying. It's clear that they totally disrepects both OU's O and D. They obviously consider our players as being less than equals. Of course, anyone that has actually watched the Sooner games closely throughout the year clearly understands that this is a very special OU team, with perhaps one of the most ferocious offenses in the history of college football and a defense that is loaded with talent at every single position (the D finally reached its potential near the end of the season).

I hope that Florida increases the intensity of their trash talking as we get closer to kick off.

As Zohan (from the movie: You Don't Mess With The Zohan) says:

"This is good"

By the way, I wonder if Spikes borrowed (and is wearing under his gay pink suit) Rey Maualuga's pink thong that he wore to practice as the beginning of the 2008 season. I posted the link below.

WARNING: You might either go blind or vomit, or both

http://www.bannedinhollywood.com/rey-maualuga-thong-side-linebacker/

Isn't that part of the "Trojan" uniform?

Toronto Sooner
1/6/2009, 12:53 PM
I think Spikes has the Greg Oden syndrome. You know, the one where he looks 3 times older than his actual age.

odern
1/6/2009, 03:34 PM
Brandon knows jokes.

true pimp(suit)
Assume the fetal position and draw back for the backhand. That's a hole-lottamangina up the middle for OU to block; Bradford should wear his sunday best dress.

Desert Sapper
1/6/2009, 03:35 PM
I like what the Rivals guy wrote about Dom's comments:

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/wire.asp

He gives a full breakdown. It actually sounds like Dom was being honest about why our D has such crappy stats -- going against the most prolific offenses in the nation (including the best QBs, WRs, and TEs) and not 'ripping on Timmy Tebow' or whatever this was made out to be by the media.

Sam Bradford won the Heisman. Colt McCoy finished second for the Heisman. Graham Harrell would have finished higher if not for the Tebowfelatio that is constantly going on in the South and Northeast.

The other major QUARTERBACK AWARDS don't disagree with that premise.

Bradford won the Sammy Baugh trophy this year. Harrell won it last year.

Davey OBrien Award (http://www.daveyobrien.com/adminnm/templates/awards.asp?articleid=31&zoneid=3)

And forget stats. The stats are ridiculous. But, of course, they are against defenses that don't exist, which brings us to Mr. Spikes.

Spikes, on the other hand, completely called out our D. I think that may have been the worst possible thing he could have done for his team.