PDA

View Full Version : Hits on Bradford in the NCG

RoaminSooner
1/5/2009, 12:14 AM
Obviously our line has done a great job giving Sam time to throw all season, and for the most part he hasn't been banged up or even touched after a play. I'm watching the SEC championship game again and Florida took a hit or bump on the Alabama kid after every single play.

This isn't an issue that I recall much of during the regular season, has Sam taken a beating this year?

If Florida does light him up a few times do you think he will be able to play up to what we've seen?

Widescreen
1/5/2009, 12:20 AM
No. No QB plays as well under pressure as he does when given lots of time.

sooner2b09
1/5/2009, 12:31 AM
Bama's O-line cant pass protect so thats why Florida was getting to them. From what I have heard there DT's aren't all world like they say every position is so I think we have a pretty good advantage in the trenches on offense.

Hotrod3157
1/5/2009, 12:33 AM
Sam was under some pressure during the TCU game and he still made the throws also during the Texas game but he made the throws in that game. Yeah we lost to Texas but not because of Sammy. As Widescreen said no quarterback is as good under pressure as he is with loads of time but I don't think Sam is one to get rattled into dumb throws unlike say Harrell of Texas Tech.

GottaHavePride
1/5/2009, 12:49 AM
Or Booger.

Piware
1/5/2009, 01:29 AM
I think there was a comment about this in another thread but it seems to me, while watching the bowl games, that there have been a lot of late hits on QBs. I don't know if Phlorida is the type team to try to intentionally hurt somebody but it's not like we haven't seen it this season.

Sammy is a pretty tough cookie but I hope our O-line protects him like he was their momma.

tooslow
1/5/2009, 01:37 AM
I'm watching the SEC championship game again and Florida took a hit or bump on the Alabama kid after every single play.

You mean like Utah did to the Alabama kid during the Sugar Bowl? ;)

Then again, I do not recall Florida getting to him that much. :D

insuranceman_22
1/5/2009, 02:11 AM
Utah got to Bama'a QB because of the patchwork line (LT was suspended) and something happened to another of their starting linemen. Florida got to him some to, but not like Utah. Bama is a running team though, they don't pass block as well as OU. As for UF's interior guys, they're good, but not all world. Pressure on Sam will come from the edge or LB blitz I think. UF's outside guys can fly. I honestly think we'll be able to run the ball against them. If not, then play action should do very well. This will be good game.

insuranceman_22
1/5/2009, 02:12 AM
Oh I've also heard that T. Marshall is going out with the Sooners for the coin toss to take care of any late hitting idea's on Bradford!

Scotty
1/5/2009, 02:36 AM
Utah got to Bama'a QB because of the patchwork line (LT was suspended) and something happened to another of their starting linemen. Florida got to him some to, but not like Utah. Bama is a running team though, they don't pass block as well as OU. As for UF's interior guys, they're good, but not all world. Pressure on Sam will come from the edge or LB blitz I think. UF's outside guys can fly. I honestly think we'll be able to run the ball against them. If so, then play action should do very well. This will be good game.

fixed.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2009, 03:49 AM
Our O-line is the core of our team's success. If they can't get the job done, our odds of victory are bleak. I do expect UF to get more pressure than other teams and Sam can handle it. He has a very quick release and recognizes when he has to check down or throw it away. But he'll need time to throw down the field on most planned pass plays to keep the chains moving.

GG84
1/5/2009, 06:20 AM
DT is the weakest position for the Gators. I wouldn't say they aren't productive. They're solid, but they're not at the level where they can continuously make plays in the backfield. I don't expect to get a lot of pressure on Bradford using just our front four.

Spikes, Hicks, Haden, and Janoris Jenkins are all very effective on the blitz, so I would expect Charlie Strong to send at least one of them on almost every play.

badger
1/5/2009, 06:23 AM
it's what teams will resort to if they're overmatched at the QB position (See aTm in 2006 and 2007 against 'varsity'), but I think it's something they're preparing for. Admit it - you gasp every time you see Sam take a hit and wonder if it will turn into Tech 2007 again, but breathe a sigh of relief when he pops up time after time.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2009, 06:28 AM
DT is the weakest position for the Gators. I wouldn't say they aren't productive. They're solid, but they're not at the level where they can continuously make plays in the backfield. I don't expect to get a lot of pressure on Bradford using just our front four.

Spikes, Hicks, Haden, and Janoris Jenkins are all very effective on the blitz, so I would expect Charlie Strong to send at least one of them on almost every play.

Its a damn good thing our RBs can block with the best of them too!

If Florida is blitzing every play, which I hope to go they do (it creates holes in the defense), then OU will pick them apart with the short outside passes and screens.

Florida will be toast if they continue to bring a corner, safety, or LB every play.

IN order for them be effective enough to disrupt Bradford, they would have to bring at least 6 players. that leaves at most five to protect the pass. Not a very good idea if they are doing that all day long...ask TCU!

GG84
1/5/2009, 06:47 AM
We'll see. Our corners are very aggressive coming off the line of scrimmage, it's not going to be as easy as just blocking the blitz and then finding an open man.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2009, 07:25 AM
We'll see. Our corners are very aggressive coming off the line of scrimmage, it's not going to be as easy as just blocking the blitz and then finding an open man.

And seeing as Florida is below Texas, TCU, Cincy, Nebraska, & Texas Tech in sacks...
Seeing as Florida is below TCU, Missouri, Texas, Cincy, Kansas, Nebraska, Kansas St, & Okie State in Tackles for Loss....

I think OU will be just fine.

Will Florida be able to get some pressure on Bradford? Yes. But barring anything extraordinary happening between now and game time I doubt Florida will be all that successful in putting a lot of pressure on Bradford without giving up other aspects in the game.

boomermagic
1/5/2009, 09:40 AM

Yes it will.. You gator fans are in for a shock.. You haven't seen anything like Bradford and the OU offense.. I would hate to be florida's defense..

sooner518
1/5/2009, 09:49 AM
I just remember TCU thinking that by sending in a blitzer every play, they would throw Sam and our offense out of rhythm. By the time they realized this was a bad strategy, they were behind by 28.

SoonersEnFuego
1/5/2009, 10:00 AM
This game cannot come fast enough!

Okie35
1/5/2009, 10:03 AM
You mean like Utah did to the Alabama kid during the Sugar Bowl? ;)

Then again, I do not recall Florida getting to him that much. :D

they didn't because julio jones had like 165 yards receiving lol... jpw is a mediocre qb yet still had a good passing game besides that int when he tried to throw the ball away...

Okie35
1/5/2009, 10:06 AM

go for it we'll burn you for a screen, its just that simple :D

adoniijahsooner
1/5/2009, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by GG84

how big are your corners? You honestly think your corners aggressive pass rush is going to bull rush matt clapp, brody eldrige, or our lineman? Okay.

GG84
1/5/2009, 10:46 AM
And seeing as Florida is below Texas, TCU, Cincy, Nebraska, & Texas Tech in sacks...
Seeing as Florida is below TCU, Missouri, Texas, Cincy, Kansas, Nebraska, Kansas St, & Okie State in Tackles for Loss....

I think OU will be just fine.

Will Florida be able to get some pressure on Bradford? Yes. But barring anything extraordinary happening between now and game time I doubt Florida will be all that successful in putting a lot of pressure on Bradford without giving up other aspects in the game.

We have the second ranked pass efficiency defense in all of college football. I think that stat is a little more telling about our pass defense than sacks or tackles for loss.

Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNautHt3gHk

There seems to be a common theme... the corners are all playing 5 yards off and almost all start back pedaling immediately. I don't think I saw a single play where a DB attacked a WR at the line of scrimmage. This is probably why your screens are so effective. Our DBs played this same kind of soft coverage last season when our coaches didn't trust the secondary and we got burned a lot.

I know you guys like to toss around "SEC defense" like it's a joke around here, but real attacking SEC defenses are for sure a different breed than anything you guys have encountered. We're going to be physical, we're going to shed blocks, and we're going to hit.

Is it going to work the whole game? No. For all I know our DBs will whiff every time and you guys will score at will. I am just trying to give you guys an idea of what our game plan is going to be. So far it's worked pretty well all season.

GG84
1/5/2009, 10:50 AM
how big are your corners? You honestly think your corners aggressive pass rush is going to bull rush matt clapp, brody eldrige, or our lineman? Okay.

I think you misunderstood. I am not saying our blitzing DBs are going to run through a lineman. The best way to beat the blitz is to hit quick passes. What our corners are going to try to do is make it difficult for your WRs to come off the line and disrupt the timing of their routes.

GG84
1/5/2009, 11:15 AM
go for it we'll burn you for a screen, its just that simple :D

I hope you have nimble lineman or WRs who are good at blocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TPcBCvPUmA

You'll notice a lot of our big hits have come against teams who try to screen around our blitz.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2009, 11:25 AM
Utah got to Bama'a QB because of the patchwork line (LT was suspended) and something happened to another of their starting linemen. Florida got to him some to, but not like Utah. Bama is a running team though, they don't pass block as well as OU.

you know, i've seen this before but even when bama picked up everyone they were getting physically beaten at the point of attack. and no, i'm not talking about the new players it was TE, OL and RB as well. there was one play where glen coffee got accordioned by a utah guy who ended up with a sack (which was why he was laying on the sidelines).

utah, tcu and boise state have made a living off of tweeners that can play some football that the big boys don't want.

A-M
1/5/2009, 11:28 AM
Hey GG84, will you be back here to discuse this issue after the fact on Friday? We will be here, win or lose.