PDA

View Full Version : The Pride

Ardmore_Sooner
1/4/2009, 10:17 PM
I know that this will get moved to the SO but I thought it should at least start here.

Brian Britt was just on the news talking about how the trip to Miami is a "business trip" for The Pride. I have never been in a band or played an instrument, but it just seems like the whole trip is supposed to be serious, like all the fun has been taken out of it.

I just don't see how a trip to Miami for free to see the National Championship game is a "business trip".

Piware
1/5/2009, 01:47 AM
BB has a talent for removing fun from a lot of things The Pride used to do. It IS a business trip for the team. I'm not sure there is a battle of the bands scheduled.

Just play Boomer until the Gators' eyes roll back. They can do it - I've seen it on Animal Planet.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2009, 01:52 AM
Dolemite bait!

LoyalFan
1/5/2009, 03:26 AM
I know that this will get moved to the SO but I thought it should at least start here.

...I have never been in a band or played an instrument,...

Well, neither has Brian Britt, apparently.

LF

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2009, 03:33 AM
I just hope none of our higher rated band members get caught having illegal contact with an agent.

badger
1/5/2009, 05:21 AM
Heres' the written version via NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/band-takes-pride-in-representing-ou/article/3335064).
You could just take the conversation to the online comments on that site - it's already started, by the looks of it.

batonrougesooner
1/5/2009, 07:33 AM
I just don't want to hear about one of the Pride members stealing a coat. I would hate to see us short a tuba player at kickoff. It could really turn the game.

OklahomaTuba
1/5/2009, 09:07 AM
Business trip my @$$. Its the F'king band, get over it.

If there aren't multiple incidences of band members landing in jail, in the hospital, pregnant, lost in little Havanna, and if there isn't AT LEAST $10,000 worth of property damage to the hotel, then it IS NOT the Pride I know.

badger
1/5/2009, 09:17 AM
I just don't want to hear about one of the Pride members stealing a coat. I would hate to see us short a tuba player at kickoff. It could really turn the game.

To be fair, if we were short an entire band like Wisconsin was for a big game earlier this season because of off-field crap, I think everyone would know and it might put our crowd vs. the Florida crowd at a disadvantage.

:D However, that's highly unlikely because they've banned alcohol. I think that was the root of a lot of the badger band's problems... that and upperclass hazing and a lax director.

batonrougesooner
1/5/2009, 09:27 AM
Absolutely. The band is integral to the game and the game experience.

My point is that I think the only people with business to take care of on this trip is the team. For the band, this trip should be a well deserved non-business trip as a reward for the hours and work they put in all season supporting the team and fans.

badger
1/5/2009, 09:29 AM
this trip should be a well deserved non-business trip as a reward for the hours and work they put in all season supporting the team and fans.

I see we have a smartie one here!
http://blog.oregonlive.com/odd/2007/10/medium_smarthomer100.jpg

Pieces Hit
1/5/2009, 09:40 AM
Let's win the game and have fun later.

This goes for the water boy, the little horses, and the horse pig as well.

colinreturn
1/5/2009, 09:42 AM
where is the brian britt troll when you need him in a thread.....

CincySooner
1/5/2009, 09:49 AM
Oh Mr. Britt... you can't be serious...

(facepalms)

soonermi
1/5/2009, 04:18 PM
My son's on the drumline in The Pride. I can tell you that they are in Florida on business and whatever fun they can have along the way, they deserve it. They put in many hours every week to entertain, support and show school spirit and to top it off we pay for them to be in the band. So I say, GO Pride!!!:)

SoonerSnareMom
1/5/2009, 04:36 PM
Amen to that, Soonermi! Many of you likely don't know that Pride members have to audition for their places EVERY YEAR. During football season, they rehearse two hours a day, putting on three different halftime shows a season. Gamedays are a marathon that begin with an early morning rehearsal and, for the drumline at least, conclude long after the postgame concert when they load all the percussion instruments onto the equipment truck and finally head for home.

The Pride is traveling to Miami by bus -- 35 hours one way from Norman. That's a long time on a bus. But let me tell you, their spirits are high! When the buses stopped to pick up the North Texas kids yesterday morning, we spotted toy alligators hanging in the doorways of several of the buses! They are fired up for this trip.

These 300 kids and their directors work very hard to support the team and the University. We love you, Pride of Oklahoma! Let's rock Dolphin Stadium with "Boomer Sooner" and help the team win #8!

fadada1
1/5/2009, 05:29 PM
Absolutely. The band is integral to the game and the game experience.

My point is that I think the only people with business to take care of on this trip is the team. For the band, this trip should be a well deserved non-business trip as a reward for the hours and work they put in all season supporting the team and fans.

i wish the event coordinators would see it this way. i would love if they didn't have any halftime entertainment other than The Pride and UF's band. THAT, my friends, would be a reward for a year of hard work and plenty of hours of practice.

they can keep their lame *** halftime show of someone that 95% of us haven't even heard of. the payoff for this thing is $17million. keep the money to pay the entertainment and let us see the bands at halftime. i might actually consider staying in my seat for that. didn't see one second of the halftime show in 2001 - never lost a second of sleep over it and couldn't tell you who it was even if you asked.

SoonersEnFuego
1/5/2009, 05:40 PM
Business trip my @$$. Its the F'king band, get over it.

If there aren't multiple incidences of band members landing in jail, in the hospital, pregnant, lost in little Havanna, and if there isn't AT LEAST $10,000 worth of property damage to the hotel, then it IS NOT the Pride I know.
One time....at band camp....

Where is Britt, that ******? Maybe he doesn't have time to check his laptop in Florida. It is "Business Time" like a team building exercise in '99.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
1/5/2009, 05:41 PM
Who is doing the halftime show this year?? I remember only marching pregame because Ashlee Simpson attempted to perform at halftime of the GOWWDNSO

OklahomaTuba
1/5/2009, 05:43 PM
I still don't remember half of what happened in Miami in 2001. The stop in Nawlins about killed me!!!

I drank non-stop on the bus to and fro Norman. Can't pull that level of drinking off these days!

MichiganSooner
1/9/2009, 04:14 PM
On the broadcast of the game, Fox had a graphic that said Dr. William Wakefield, Director of Pride. I wondered why it did not say Brian Britt, Director.

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/9/2009, 05:18 PM
On the broadcast of the game, Fox had a graphic that said Dr. William Wakefield, Director of Pride. I wondered why it did not say Brian Britt, Director.

The Fox people just F'd up. Dr. Wakefield is the Director of Bands which is different than Director of the Pride of Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure Coach was both, but I think when he retired, Dr. Wakefield just didn't want that responsibility, so they hired Mr. Britt. Dr. Wakefield usually goes on most of the trips, is around at practice, and is all-in-all a pretty solid guy.

MichiganSooner
1/9/2009, 05:46 PM
The Fox people just F'd up. Dr. Wakefield is the Director of Bands which is different than Director of the Pride of Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure Coach was both, but I think when he retired, Dr. Wakefield just didn't want that responsibility, so they hired Mr. Britt. Dr. Wakefield usually goes on most of the trips, is around at practice, and is all-in-all a pretty solid guy.

Thanks for the information. I figured it was a mistake but at the same time Mr. Britt may have resigned to move on and get his doctorate or something else may have happened. I know both of them; they are excellent people.

GottaHavePride
1/9/2009, 09:02 PM

Coach Thrailkill WAS both Director of Bands and Director of The Pride. When he retired, Bill Wakefield became Director of Bands, but marching band isn't his thing - he directs the Wind Symphony. The Pride is a whole different animal. Brian Britt was hired to run The Pride.

Into the ground.

OklahomaTuba
1/9/2009, 11:59 PM
Yeah, they pretty much looked stupid out there playing pin ball wizard next to the FU band.

Wasn't even close actually.

BTW, why didn't Britt bust out the Sooner Chomp for this game???

texas bandman
1/10/2009, 12:24 AM
Back in the bad old days, when I was in the Pride and we went to the Orange Bowl we had a job to do for a few hours on New Year's Day...the rest of the time was PARTY! And I can still swear I saw Pink Elephants at the New Years Eve Party...really there were pink elephants on the dock in Miami...I'm sure they were there....PINK ELEPHANTS ON THE DOCK!!!!

Jimminy Crimson
1/10/2009, 06:03 PM

Britt doesn't deserve having his name on the tubes. Fire him. Now. :texan:

froneal
1/13/2009, 04:40 PM
Amen to that, Soonermi! Many of you likely don't know that Pride members have to audition for their places EVERY YEAR. During football season, they rehearse two hours a day, putting on three different halftime shows a season. Gamedays are a marathon that begin with an early morning rehearsal and, for the drumline at least, conclude long after the postgame concert when they load all the percussion instruments onto the equipment truck and finally head for home.

The Pride is traveling to Miami by bus -- 35 hours one way from Norman. That's a long time on a bus. But let me tell you, their spirits are high! When the buses stopped to pick up the North Texas kids yesterday morning, we spotted toy alligators hanging in the doorways of several of the buses! They are fired up for this trip.

These 300 kids and their directors work very hard to support the team and the University. We love you, Pride of Oklahoma! Let's rock Dolphin Stadium with "Boomer Sooner" and help the team win #8!

Not to be a negative Nancy, but most of us do know the Pride members have to audition every year. In fact, many of us are former or current Pride members and know about how much work it takes to be a Pride member.

They work very hard for a director who does not work equally as hard.

Just my $0.02. :texan:

Brian Britt
1/13/2009, 05:28 PM
Happy Tuesday, one of my seven most favorite days of the week!

On a more serious note, several members of this forum have approached me regarding my comments about the Pride's role in Florida. When I said that it is a "business trip" for the Pride, I didn't mean that the Pride couldn't have any fun on the trip. Bandmembers are fully encouraged to finger through their music silently in their rooms, or even have marching sectionals in designated zones in the hotel! The ONLY prohibited activities are drinking, watching movies, talking to members of the opposite sex, destruction of property, leaving the hotel, laughing, singing, surfing the "N.E.T.," and sleeping in. Let's make this an enjoyable trip for all! Remember, it's all of the uniform or none! Let's represent Oklahomans and make them proud!

BOOMER!

Cordially,
Brian Britt
CEO of Bands
[email protected]

starclassic tama
1/13/2009, 05:56 PM
if that really is brian britt and i was in the band i would probably kill myself

SoonerSnareMom
1/13/2009, 09:00 PM
Not to be a negative Nancy, but most of us do know the Pride members have to audition every year. In fact, many of us are former or current Pride members and know about how much work it takes to be a Pride member.

They work very hard for a director who does not work equally as hard.

Just my $0.02. :texan:

Sorry, Froneal, I did not mean to imply anything negative toward you or anyone else on soonerfans.com by my comments. Simply my point of view as a parent of a Pride member.

Scott D
1/13/2009, 09:37 PM
Just notify me when Dr. Wakefield wakes up and fires Miss Britt.

Brian Britt
1/13/2009, 11:54 PM
BTW, why didn't Britt bust out the Sooner Chomp for this game???

This isn't eighth grade football! You will call me MR. Britt. I didn't go to school for 5 years to be called Britt!

BoomerSoonerGoOU
1/14/2009, 12:13 AM
Happy Tuesday, one of my seven most favorite days of the week!

On a more serious note, several members of this forum have approached me regarding my comments about the Pride's role in Florida. When I said that it is a "business trip" for the Pride, I didn't mean that the Pride couldn't have any fun on the trip. Bandmembers are fully encouraged to finger through their music silently in their rooms, or even have marching sectionals in designated zones in the hotel! The ONLY prohibited activities are drinking, watching movies, talking to members of the opposite sex, destruction of property, leaving the hotel, laughing, singing, surfing the "N.E.T.," and sleeping in. Let's make this an enjoyable trip for all! Remember, it's all of the uniform or none! Let's represent Oklahomans and make them proud!

BOOMER!

Cordially,
Brian Britt
CEO of Bands
[email protected]

I just spit out my drink in laughter.

froneal
1/14/2009, 06:09 PM
Sorry, Froneal, I did not mean to imply anything negative toward you or anyone else on soonerfans.com by my comments. Simply my point of view as a parent of a Pride member.

No sweat! :D