PDA

View Full Version : Dear Minnesota Vikings,

OU-HSV
1/4/2009, 08:30 PM
To save anymore embarrassment, to get the full capabilities out of your very talented RB's, and talented WR's, to win a playoff game, and most importantly to stop sucking! ....
Please draft (or pick up) a QB this off season that can pass better than 15/35 164 yds 1 int in a playoff game.

And if you're sold that Tarvaris Jackson is your franchise QB....please release AD so he can go to a team that knows how to throw the football.

Thank you,

Annoyed Soonerfans who support AD

Partial Qualifier
1/4/2009, 08:38 PM
I'm not a full-time follower of Vikings football, but from the outside looking in i totally agree. Get a servicable QB -- doesn't have to be a superstar -- and get an OC with more imagination & creativity. You know, a few notches above "AD Left / AD Right / Telegraphed Pass to Berrian or Shiancoe".

Maybe Tarvaris *could* be servicable with the right OC? Who knows, but this is a very frustrating team to root for.

Sooner04
1/4/2009, 08:41 PM
We have a serviceable QB. His name is Gus Frerotte, but Childress decided to sink or swim with Tarvaris after Gus was hurt against Detroit a month ago. It worked out fine for the remainder of the regular season, but it bit us today.

Thank you for your concern. We'll proudly relish our division title and look for bigger, better things next year.

Sincerely,
Sooner04
Minnesota Vikings fanatic since 1988.

East Coast Bias
1/4/2009, 08:44 PM
Doesn't one of the SUC's QB for the Vikes? JD Booty.... Can't one of the Golden Boys lead them out of the wilderness???

bluedogok
1/4/2009, 08:45 PM
If I was Wilf I would tell Chili to get a professional level QB or he can get a new job somewhere else. The TJ experiment has been a failure.

OU-HSV
1/4/2009, 08:47 PM
We have a serviceable QB. His name is Gus Frerotte, but Childress decided to sink or swim with Tarvaris after Gus was hurt against Detroit a month ago. It worked out fine for the remainder of the regular season, but it bit us today.

Thank you for your concern. We'll proudly relish our division title and look for bigger, better things next year.

Sincerely,
Sooner04
Minnesota Vikings fanatic since 1988.

Awesome, glad we got a loyal Vikings fan's perspective on here.
I agree that Gus is the better man for the job (of the two). But I think they need a younger guy who can lead them into the future, who doesn't suck. I don't know who that would be. But maybe like even a Joe Flacco, or someone that's younger and somewhat proven they can play the position of NFL football QB (better than Tarvaris) like maybe a Jay Cutler type. You get the idea.
I'm not dogging Gus, I like him, I like how he stepped in and did okay for them.
And I agree w/ PQ, everything seems so telegraphed when you watch the Vikes play.

P.S. I made this into a poll to keep it a little more interesting.

delhalew
1/4/2009, 08:51 PM
I know it pisses me of to see AD Killing himself to run against teams when they know the QB is no threat. At least he's not at Detroit.

ashley
1/4/2009, 08:52 PM
They already know that, but they need an o-line that can protect more,

Sooner04
1/4/2009, 08:52 PM
I'm not dogging Gus, I like him, I like how he stepped in and did okay for them.
He did a little better than OK. Minnesota was 8-3 in games he started.

Peterson is a tremendous player, but a luxury. In today's NFL, running the football is not a necessity like it once was. The 31st and 32nd ranked rushing teams in the NFL BOTH made the playoffs. Arizona is still alive, and Indianapolis lost in OT.

It's all about the quarterback in the NFL.

Sooner04
1/4/2009, 08:54 PM
They already know that, but they need an o-line that can protect more,
Ashley Simpson?

The Eagles threw the kitchen sink at the Vikings today, and the O-line did a fine job of protecting the pocket. Our QB was lousy, but the O-line was not.

OU-HSV
1/4/2009, 09:03 PM
He did a little better than OK. Minnesota was 8-3 in games he started.

Peterson is a tremendous player, but a luxury. In today's NFL, running the football is not a necessity like it once was. The 31st and 32nd ranked rushing teams in the NFL BOTH made the playoffs. Arizona is still alive, and Indianapolis lost in OT.

It's all about the quarterback in the NFL.
I'm not a loyal follower of the Vikings, I watched them a lot this year and last year due to my interest in AD. I just hate to see them waste their potential, and AD's total potential. I can't even imagine how excellent AD would be with a dominant passing threat.

That's great that Gus got them to 8-3. But his numbers weren't super intimidating or anything 2157 yds 12 tds 15 ints, in my opinion isn't a solid pass threat. But I agree, it's a better option than TJ.

Exactly, it's all about the QB...and the QB options at Minnesota need an overhaul. Maybe keep Gus for safety/depth. But cut Tavaris, I don't see him ever being the 'guy'.

Sooner04
1/4/2009, 09:10 PM
Exactly, it's all about the QB...
Which is why they should've drafted a QB with that pick instead of Peterson. :)

Sorry, as an extremely loyal Vikings follower, it's what we needed. Peterson is an awesome player, and I'm glad we've got him, but I think we do more with a stud QB. Chester Taylor is pretty darned good.

kssoonerfan7
1/4/2009, 09:16 PM
Please find a way to get donovan mcnabb or matt cassel. get one of these qbs and the vikings would be one of the top 3 teams in the NFC consistently.

stoopified
1/4/2009, 09:17 PM
Exactly, it's all about the QB...and the QB options at Minnesota need an overhaul. Maybe keep Gus for safety/depth. But cut Tavaris, I don't see him ever being the 'guy'.I feel the same way about VY BUT some NFL GM's just can't get past that great athlete with a strong(but inaccuratte) arm fetish hat they have.Vinny Testaverde is 63,uses a walker and proably can't throw more than thirty yards downfield anymore but is STILL abetter qb than Tavaris or Fumbles McScramble.

OU-HSV
1/4/2009, 09:18 PM
Which is why they should've drafted a QB with that pick instead of Peterson. :)

Sorry, as an extremely loyal Vikings follower, it's what we needed. Peterson is an awesome player, and I'm glad we've got him, but I think we do more with a stud QB. Chester Taylor is pretty darned good.

Haha. I see what you're saying. And I agree Chester is very good. They have quite the combo in that backfield.
What draft pick (or thereabouts) do the Vikes have in the first round of this year's draft? May be a great time to scoop up a QB who may slide down to there, although at first thought there aren't very many QBs in this draft I don't think.

OU-HSV
1/4/2009, 09:20 PM
I feel the same way about VY BUT some NFL GM's just can't get past that great athlete with a strong(but inaccuratte) arm fetish hat they have.Vinny Testaverde is 63,uses a walker and proably can't throw more than thirty yards downfield anymore but is STILL abetter qb than Tavaris or Fumbles McScramble.

:pop:

Partial Qualifier
1/4/2009, 09:37 PM
'Fumbles McScramble' ... still cracks me up. :D

bluedogok
1/4/2009, 10:13 PM
Please find a way to get donovan mcnabb or matt cassel. get one of these qbs and the vikings would be one of the top 3 teams in the NFC consistently.
Cassell isn't going anywhere, it looks like the Pats are going to franchise tag him for next season. I am thinking they are unsure about how well Brady is coming along in rehab, especially after his infection issues with the knee. That has been some of the talk on Boston sports radio.

Boston.com - Franchise tag talk & quarterback Matt Cassel (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/01/franchise_tag_m.html)
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff January 4, 2009 02:10 PM

The time period for NFL teams to place the franchise tag on players is from Feb. 5 to Feb. 19, although that hasn't stopped speculation from buzzing regarding the Patriots' intentions with quarterback Matt Cassel.

The franchise tag is a vehicle that teams can use to help retain players who are scheduled for unrestricted free agency. In the past, the Patriots have used it on cornerback Asante Samuel, kicker Adam Vinatieri and safety Tebucky Jones.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported today that the Patriots, even at this early date, have already determined that they will use the franchise tag on Cassel. In the report, Mortensen notes that the website National Football Post first reported the Patriots' intentions with Cassel.

The Globe has not been able to confirm either report at this time.

Free agency begins Feb. 27. The salary cap is scheduled to rise from $116 million to $123 million, and the combination of Cassel and Tom Brady would count about $29 million against the Patriots' cap.

ouleaf
1/4/2009, 10:19 PM
It is pretty much ridiculous that AD was able to get 1800+ yards this season while consistently facing 8 and 9 man fronts. It's a true testament to just how great a RB he is and will be for years to come. However, I don't think Peterson is a good fit for Childress' system. Childress is a West Coast offense guy, and with Peterson's skill set, it's like trying to fit a square peg in a round whole. Something has to change, if they are ever really going to be a contender for a Super Bowl title.

If Childress stays, he has to find a way to keep Peterson in on 3rd downs. I think it is ridiculous that your best player isn't on the field. They have to start working him into the passing game if they want to consistently move the ball on offense. True, a better QB would help more than anything, but they can't possibly field this crappy offensive system next year and expect to go anywhere. Can you imagine how awful this team would have been if they didn't have a defense that kept them in pretty much all of their games this year?

TopDawg
1/4/2009, 10:28 PM
Selecting Peterson gets more and more suspect every year as we see how good Taylor and Moore are. Taylor's ability was pretty well known at the time, but Mewelde really showed his potential this year.

Of course, it's still not as bad as Oakland's pick that year and it might be the best they could do at that time. They didn't need another RB, but Ted Ginn was about the only other player out there near #7 pick quality that played a position that was a need for them. If they could've traded Peterson or that pick for a good QB, they should've, but maybe they couldn't.

Whatever the situation, it's cost them. For every game that Peterson has single-handedly won for the Vikes, their poor QB situation has lost them 2. At least. But it's also brought them a lot more exposure than they'd be getting if they had a better team but not the best RB.

At any rate, it's certainly not the OL's fault. They blocked 5 just about every time. But when the defense can keep 8 at the line because they know you can't throw, it's hard to block 'em all.

tulsaoilerfan
1/4/2009, 10:29 PM
They need to get a HC while they are at it; Childress can't manage a game worth a ****:mad:

TopDawg
1/4/2009, 10:31 PM

The game turned on that INT return for a touchdown. Obviously the points Philly got off that play were huge, but the bigger impact on the game was that TJ was able to come back after that body slam. If he'd've been out, Gus may've been able to lead the Vikes into next week.

TopDawg
1/4/2009, 10:32 PM
They need to get a HC while they are at it; Childress can't manage a game worth a ****:mad:

Heh. I wonder if Reggie Bush sent Childress a Christmas card this year.

OU-HSV
1/4/2009, 11:09 PM
Selecting Peterson gets more and more suspect every year as we see how good Taylor and Moore are. Taylor's ability was pretty well known at the time, but Mewelde really showed his potential this year.

Of course, it's still not as bad as Oakland's pick that year and it might be the best they could do at that time. They didn't need another RB, but Ted Ginn was about the only other player out there near #7 pick quality that played a position that was a need for them. If they could've traded Peterson or that pick for a good QB, they should've, but maybe they couldn't.

Whatever the situation, it's cost them. For every game that Peterson has single-handedly won for the Vikes, their poor QB situation has lost them 2. At least. But it's also brought them a lot more exposure than they'd be getting if they had a better team but not the best RB.

At any rate, it's certainly not the OL's fault. They blocked 5 just about every time. But when the defense can keep 8 at the line because they know you can't throw, it's hard to block 'em all.

Well said

Harry Beanbag
1/4/2009, 11:45 PM

The team that really screwed the pooch in that draft was the Cardinals by passing on Peterson. Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, and Adrian Peterson = record setting offense.

kssoonerfan7
1/4/2009, 11:53 PM
Cassell isn't going anywhere, it looks like the Pats are going to franchise tag him for next season. I am thinking they are unsure about how well Brady is coming along in rehab, especially after his infection issues with the knee. That has been some of the talk on Boston sports radio.

Yea i had heard that Cassell is getting franchised, but to get either him or mcnabb it would take a trade bc mcnabb is under contract too. i think for cassell they could give up a solid player (taylor?) and a 2nd (1st maybe) and get cassell. pretty expensive for a former 7th round? pick but definitely worth it. They have a solid defense. the clear weakness is qb and cassell fits the bill. mcnabb definitely would but i think he would be harder to get. (after the benching i thought he was definitely gone but now I think he will still be in philly).

TopDawg
1/5/2009, 12:36 AM
The team that really screwed the pooch in that draft was the Cardinals by passing on Peterson. Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, and Adrian Peterson = record setting offense.

I thought about throwing the Browns and Cards in there, but in all honesty I'm not sure how their draft picks have panned out. They both drafted OL and it's quite possible they've gotten a lot out of them.

No doubt, Peterson would be a dynamic addition to that team...but they had just added Edge (right?) and probably thought they were pretty well set at RB. But Oakland could've gotten a lot more out of Peterson and another QB. They still could've gotten Trent Edwards in the 2nd or 3rd and Tyler Thigpen all the way through the 7th. Both of those guys plus Peterson would be better than JaMarcus and Michael Bush (the first RB they took).

cortezsooner
1/5/2009, 01:05 AM
I have watched the Vikings for the past 2 years due to my undying affection for AD, and any Viking fan that's being honest with themself has to admit 2 things:

1) The Vikings need a Q.B.
2) The Vikings are in DIRE NEED of a Coach.

TJ is not an answer as a starting QB in the NFL.....and probably never will be. And Brad Childress doesn't appear to be a very good NFL coach. Or maybe it's the Offensive Coordinator, which the head coach is in charge of. When I can sit in my living room as a fan, (and in no way an 'expert' of the game) and name just about every play before it happens, the coaching staff needs to be replaced.

The Vikings are WAY TOO PREDICTABLE at almost everything they do on offense, and that is a direct reflection of the Coaching Staff. The Vikings were the pick of a lot of 'Experts' to be in the Super Bowl this year, and the talent is there (With the exception of QB), but the coaching is completely unacceptable.

The sad part is this: Winning 10 games and making the playoffs, Childress will be in Minnesota for another year or two...and it should be another year just like this one. Possibly 10 wins and a playoff game, but the talent level of a much better team.

It's tough to watch a team that would really be good with a less predictable coaching staff, continue to be underacheivers.

And it's tough to see AD take the pounding that he does because everyone in the universe knows he's getting the ball.

badger
1/5/2009, 09:39 AM
Oh Minnesota, what is it with you and extremely mobile but
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/11/2006/03/culpeppermiami.jpg
Not always the most pass-efficient
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02Qz7xPelw6xe/610x.jpg
quarterbacks?

I don't think Minnesota needs a spectacular quarterback... I think they need spectacular receivers again back in the days of these two guys:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1105000/images/_1107028_mosscarter300.jpg
You didn't need a solid quarterback if those guys would catch whatever you threw their way! It drove Packer fans like me crazy for YEARS having to cope with the Vikings receivr corps! The Packers spent their early draft picks all on corners one year just to combat the annoyance that was the Vikings receiver corps!

Receivers would do a lot more for the Vikings than going after a top QB - they would also provide a blocking threat downfield for one of AD's patented take-it-to-the-house runs.

Thus Vikings, just get a serviceable QB (and no, Tavaris is NOT serviceable) and focus on getting your receiving team up like you used to be in the late 90s. It will **** me off, but it's what you need.

Soonersince57
1/5/2009, 01:02 PM
Wasn't there a 70s group named Tavaris? I know there was one named the Jacksons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYbyO7noyqs