PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know a lot about cars?

SPuL
1/4/2009, 07:33 PM
After having my car for a year and a half now. and going through 2 winters with it, I just can't take it. Not only does it hurt me to see the snow kill the paint, but driving in the ice and snow is no fun and almost risking my life lool

So for a while now I've been looking at the Lexus IS-F. I can get around 18-20 g's for trading in my current car. And I should have enough saved in my bank by summer to get the ball rolling.

here's a pic for those who might not know what the car is:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2820/1301/32048150004_large.jpg

Anyone drove one, have one, ridden in one, know about them, etc. ?

olevetonahill
1/4/2009, 07:36 PM
Ur still In skool why Go in Debt to Buy something thats Just gonna rust out in a few years ? Unless you are Gonna Transfer to OU .:D

SteelCitySooner
1/4/2009, 07:53 PM
What's your current car?

I test drove one of those. Nice car, but I just have a thing with Japanese cars not having any 'soul' :D German cars are the way to go for performance.

olevetonahill
1/4/2009, 08:00 PM
What's your current car?

I test drove one of those. Nice car, but I just have a thing with Japanese cars not having any 'soul' :D German cars are the way to go for performance.

Boy You Just like to antagonize the Deanster dont Ya . :D

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2009, 08:02 PM
How is the ice and snow killing your paint?

We've got plenty of ice and snow here and I haven't noticed it doing anything to my paint.

BudSooner
1/4/2009, 08:06 PM
Uh, that looks nothing like Lightning McQueen? I have nothing to add here.

royalfan5
1/4/2009, 08:12 PM
Go here-www.thetruthaboutcars.com

Read and Learn.

SPuL
1/4/2009, 08:20 PM
Ur still In skool why Go in Debt to Buy something thats Just gonna rust out in a few years ? Unless you are Gonna Transfer to OU .:D

Well I'd have enough by summer, with the trade in value, to put up close too 45-50,000. So that'd only give me about 12,000-15,000 more to pay off. I work 2 jobs (internet marketing, macy's corporate division) then I get paid per article for my college newspaper. And it'd be no problem to have the rest paid off by early next yr. Also there is chance I might get a co-op for the fall semester at Boston Globe. So that would only add more money. Since they'd pay $15 an hour.

But still, i agree. It would be a risk, so I'll have to go over it more thoroughly closer to the time. I just want to get opinions on the car itsself.

What's your current car?

Haha japanese cars. Yea, right now I have an 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse. In red. And the thing about red sports cars being a cop magnet? SOO true. A cop caught me early last yr, and charged me with Operating to endanger, unsafe lane changes, and speeding. All I Really was doing was going 85 in a 65. He BSed the police report so much, I was so pissed that I could have a huge negative mark on my record because some cop had a grudge he wanted to take out on me. Luckily my dad has a really good lawyer. And he knocked it down to just speeding, and the minimum $100 fine.

But yea, the sports car thing in the winter. Really not a great idea. lol and I don't have a car to fall back on, so that's not an option.

but yea, about the IS-F. What are some pros and cons you have about it?

How is the ice and snow killing your paint?

We've got plenty of ice and snow here and I haven't noticed it doing anything to my paint.

I don't know, I mean like all that going thru slush, my whole car is all grey, and nasty stuff. And I could get a car wash, but it's almost every day that we have snow storms lately lol

also the salt does mess up the paint. I don't know how badly exactly, but it's not good.

SteelCitySooner
1/4/2009, 08:30 PM
If you're looking at an IS-F, look at a BMW M3 also -- my opinion a better car. I've got no reason behind that other than the feeling I got when driving it...like I said, I have always had a hard time buying in to Japanese performance cars.. I own an 08 M5 and love the car... I live in Pittsburgh, so I'm very familiar with cold weather/snow use, as I do use my M5 as a daily driver.. Get some good snow tires and you're set.

SteelCitySooner
1/4/2009, 08:33 PM
The IS-F is a great car though. Just check out their competitors like BMW, Merc, and even Audi (their RS4's and S5's are awesome car's as well).

olevetonahill
1/4/2009, 08:38 PM
Dude ur Making some serious Cash as a Student , Will you Remember Us when You Grad , and Get richer ?

SteelCitySooner
1/4/2009, 08:43 PM
Boy You Just like to antagonize the Deanster dont Ya . :D

Why? He like dem Korean cars?

:D

sooneron
1/4/2009, 08:51 PM
If you live in a wintry place, you can get performance with AWD. The Audi's are better these days and the Lexus GS is AWD, I believe.
I have AWD in my 330xi and I love it.

SCS< That M5 is a bad mamma jamma. I lub that ride.

SPuL
1/4/2009, 09:02 PM
If you're looking at an IS-F, look at a BMW M3 also -- my opinion a better car. I've got no reason behind that other than the feeling I got when driving it...like I said, I have always had a hard time buying in to Japanese performance cars.. I own an 08 M5 and love the car... I live in Pittsburgh, so I'm very familiar with cold weather/snow use, as I do use my M5 as a daily driver.. Get some good snow tires and you're set.

LOL wow I'm an idiot. For some reason I thought they didn't make the M3. Brainfart. I don't know what made me think that. But yea, I love the BMW headlights, hell, I even bought halo projector headlights for my eclipse because I love them so much. Here:

http://photos-d.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v383/119/39/504975244/n504975244_4979947_9044.jpg

But yea, man. And it's relatively same price as the Lexus. So wow, gonna make the decision harder.

What I noticed tho, isn't the m3 a coupe?

That's another thing man. I transport a lot of friends around during the week, and I'll tell you. Taking 5 people in a car that fits 2.5 people is no easy matter. Back of my seats scratched up. Just ehh, I need 5 seats atleast.

Dude ur Making some serious Cash as a Student , Will you Remember Us when You Grad , and Get richer ?

It's networking really man. Guy I know from this rap forum I went too, is huge on internet marketing. He co-runs a site with his boss (realraptalk.com) which brings them in 20,000. Then he also does a lot of myspace spam, which brings in almost 100,000 for them a month. And he has so many stuff. None really legit.

What I do for him, is post up ads around craigslist. Then from those that e-mail me back (on fake e-mail) I have to e-mail back a already written e-mail. i mass e-mail ($2,000 program that sends out like 10,000 e-mails in less than 3 minutes) them. In the e-mail is a link to a site. Sometimes dating site, electronics, sports equipment, etc. All free to join.

For every lead, or when ever somebody signs up, I make $4.50. So I usually send around 1,000 e-mails a night. And convert around 8-10%. I used to hit 18-20% but that was when i manually sent the e-mails (i did it at a 100 e-mail per hour pace. I'd prefer less than 30 mins lol for a 10% drop off). But then in the end, the guy takes 50% of my money I make for hooking me up with the job. But w/e it's still good

Then for Macy's, I got in good with one of the Macy's By Appointment or PErsonal Shoppers at our store. She gave me the position of being her personal assistant. So instead of the usual 8.50. I make 11.50 there.

So the Macy's job is more to build my resume, since it would be working under Macy's Corporate. Then the internet marketing is my main source of profit. HOWEVER, it could go away in an instant. It's not guaranteed I'll have that job tomorrow. It's not illegal, but at the same time it's not allowed by the company that he works for.

and hell yea, man. I'll keep SF in my mind.

Hell if somehow it's in gods plan for me to become a millionaire. I'll give a good amount of money to OU's football department in hopes that they name an athletic facility after me. :D I wouldn't ask for the stadium name because that would ruin the tradition for me. ~_~

SPuL
1/4/2009, 09:04 PM
If you live in a wintry place, you can get performance with AWD. The Audi's are better these days and the Lexus GS is AWD, I believe.
I have AWD in my 330xi and I love it.

SCS< That M5 is a bad mamma jamma. I lub that ride.

Yea, man. I agree. I have a RWD. and it is HORRIBLE. I get stuck so many times when I had outdoor parking. Because snow fills the lot, and the plowers back up all the snow into the back of your car. so when I reverse it is HELL.

That's why I said screw it and paid the extra $100 a month to park my car in the garage parking lol

SteelCitySooner
1/4/2009, 09:15 PM
LOL wow I'm an idiot. For some reason I thought they didn't make the M3. Brainfart. I don't know what made me think that. But yea, I love the BMW headlights, hell, I even bought halo projector headlights for my eclipse because I love them so much. Here:

http://photos-d.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v383/119/39/504975244/n504975244_4979947_9044.jpg

But yea, man. And it's relatively same price as the Lexus. So wow, gonna make the decision harder.

What I noticed tho, isn't the m3 a coupe?

hmm.. yeah it's a coupe but it might come in a four door flavor like they do the other 3's.. The new M3's only been out a little over a year so don't feel too bad you didn't know.

SPuL
1/4/2009, 09:18 PM
yea, man. But I've always loved the BMW's. The only thing that turned me off about them was that almost EVERYONE has one man. Not everyone has the good ones, but in allh onestly, from the outside it is pretty hard to tell the 3 series from the 5 series at first glance.

Same with why I chose the eclipse. I always used to be a mustang guy, always planned that to be my first car. But wow, you go outside you're almost guaranteed to see a mustang. Sure most of them are the low model, but unless you get the Cobra (80,000) it's hard to tell.

I just like to go against the grain a bit. Get a car that you don't see too often on the road.

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2009, 09:37 PM
There's winter states that still use salt on the road? Really?

Like I said-I'd be willing to bet I get more ice and snow than you do, and I've never noticed a single weather-related problem with my car's paint.

Also, in my opinion, it's silly to put 45k down on a car when you're trying to go to a top-tier graduate school. Those places cost a bunch of money.

Me, I'm selling my Mercedes in a month or so simply because owning that much car while I'm in school is dumb (at least in my situation it is.)

GottaHavePride
1/4/2009, 09:50 PM

Like I said-I'd be willing to bet I get more ice and snow than you do, and I've never noticed a single weather-related problem with my car's paint.

Also, in my opinion, it's silly to put 45k down on a car when you're trying to go to a top-tier graduate school. Those places cost a bunch of money.

Me, I'm selling my Mercedes in a month or so simply because owning that much car while I'm in school is dumb (at least in my situation it is.)

Kansas still uses a salt/sand mixture on roads. We may not be a "winter state" but we get plenty of ice each year.

sooneron
1/4/2009, 09:51 PM

NYC still has some salt trucks.

royalfan5
1/4/2009, 10:02 PM
Nebraska uses salt as well. Some states aren't made of moose and oil money, you know.

SPuL
1/4/2009, 10:23 PM

lol man i'm surprised some states don't use salt at all. But yea, I know it's nothing serious but it's something. I don't know just seeing my car all messed up from the slush, and snow, and salt. Just leaves me mad. Cuz I paid so much for it, i try to keep it in the best shape, and this winter season just goes against it lol

But yea, I see your point. Hopefully I can get some scholarships to help out. Right now, I got 2 that help with $5,000 of the tuition. Which is really low for me around 10-12,000. My parents help me out with that. Although I plan on paying them back for college, and everything else they've done to provide me a really good life when I graduate and get my first real job.

Right now the expenses I have to pay are my rent ($2,000 a month. Share with my bro so we split it). My car payments, groceries, and etc.

But I am really aiming to get any scholarships I can to help out. One of the main reasons, I've decided to put doing music on the backburner. Education is my main priority right now. I got maybe a good 3-6 more years in college (Depending how far I want to go) and then I have the rest of my life to do the other things. So no rush.

GottaHavePride
1/4/2009, 11:15 PM
$2,000 a month on rent? Bejeezus. You can have a huge apartment in Norman for $600 per month, total.

SPuL
1/4/2009, 11:20 PM
Yea, man. It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom tho. My bedroom is like a master bedroom lol. Bathroom in it and stuff.

a one bedroom goes from about 1,400-1,600 depending on th floor.

http://www.peninsula-apts.com/

^the place I stay at. I think it's worth the money though man. It's nice, and area my university is around is right around the corner from one of the really bad areas of MA. So I'm willing to pay a little more to be in the nicer area you know?

But wow $600 a month? I'd love that lol

the 130 degree weather, scorpions, and tarantulas (WTF if that's true)... not soo much lol

GottaHavePride
1/4/2009, 11:40 PM
If people are telling you 130 they're just making **** up. 100+ definitely. 110+ is pretty rare.

And I've never actually seen a scorpion in town. Tarantulas, no. Wolf spiders? Yes. Bigguns.

Curly Bill
1/4/2009, 11:46 PM
It's very very hot down here and there are all kinds of dangerous animals, insects, reptiles, etc, etc...not to mention tornados, hail storms...

Tell everyone you know they don't want to come here!

SPuL
1/5/2009, 01:24 AM
^LOL

but yea, the spiders tho. Spiders are like fear of mine since I was little lol. But not enough to prevent me from coming down there tho.

But yea, if rent is that cheap around OU that'd be sweet. If I came down to OU, I wouldn't want to stay in a dorm. I've lived in dorms, and it's good when you wanna party and hang out. But when you want to sleep, or study, it's rough.