PDA

View Full Version : You'd think the TEXAS LONGHORNS . . .

Jacie
1/4/2009, 02:50 PM
. . . would get tired of this, always having to rely on someone else to do the thing that will lead to their desired result instead of taking care of business themselves to get what they want.

After losing to Tech they were counting on okie state to put them into the Big XII championship game.

After that they were hoping the voters in the coaches poll would put them in the BCS CG.

Now here they are again, trying to influence the AP voters to give them that oh-so-coveted split NC.

After the Musberger-Herbstreit love fest with SUC and the beat down of the Crimson Tide by the undefeated Utah Utes, you'd think the chances of the horns being voted #1 in any poll would have a snowball's chance during August in Austin but now we are being treated to yet another bottle of Texas wine from the 2008 crop of sour grapes.

Keep it up Smack, keep it up Ponyboy, keep up the O-racket-po so the AP voters won't forget ya. And if you are a fan of the burned orange, please, please, please contribute to banner-pulling-airplane fund.

Check out the quote I put in bold at the end. Hell, maybe that saying about blind pigs and acorns applies to Mack Brown and getting a clue, you think?

January 4, 2009

Olin Buchanan
Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer

GLENDALE, Ariz. – The national championship game is three days and three time zones away, but national titles – good and bad – may be at stake when Texas and Ohio State meet in Monday night's Fiesta Bowl.

The Longhorns (11-1) cling to scant hopes that an emphatic victory over Ohio State could result in their receiving The Associated Press' version of the national championship.

"You definitely get to make a statement for the next season [with a win]," Ohio State fullback Brandon Smith said. "With the way the BCS is and college football is, if you start off at the top and take care of business, you won't fall too far. I think that is in the back of our minds."

Positioning for next season is important, but it's nothing compared what might be at stake for the Longhorns. Texas was at the center of the season's most controversial issue when the Longhorns fell behind Oklahoma in the BCS standings even though they defeated the Sooners 45-35 on a neutral field in October. But there is a chance that a decisive victory by Texas could influence AP voters to choose Texas their national champion. USC was voted the AP national champion in 2003, and LSU won the BCS championship that season.

"From what I understand, we can [still be national champions]," Texas running back Chris Ogbonnaya said. "I don't know what needs to happen. Right now, our focus is Ohio State and, really, that is all that matters. We can't talk about being in the national championship picture without having a victory against them."

But that doesn't mean they can't be thinking about one.

"Our goal is still there," Longhorns cornerback Ryan Palmer said. "We still can do it if we play well. Our main goal is to get 12 wins, get another bowl win and go out there and have a great performance."

The performance is what coach Mack Brown is focusing on.

"We talk about playing the best we can and then all of the other stuff takes care of itself," he said. "If you start talking about stuff that is at the end, then you probably won't get the results you want.

"What we will do is try to play the best we can play, and we'll end up where we end up."

Texas fans = crybabies

Dan Thompson
1/4/2009, 03:08 PM
I thought AP already gave the award to USC.

Cappy
1/4/2009, 03:54 PM
and then Utah, and then whoever plays next...its always what have you done for me lately

TXBOOMER
1/4/2009, 04:25 PM
Heck....I figured Mack would be saying they deserved the AP NC flat out. It is not going to happen texassans, Utah cured any faint hope you had of that. BAHAHAHAHAHA

SteelCitySooner
1/4/2009, 04:30 PM
ya think they'll fly another banner?

A-M
1/4/2009, 04:31 PM
Jacie:

What did you mean by this statement:
"After losing to Tech they were counting on okie state to put them into the Big XII championship game."
If okie state beat us, then Tech would have gone to the CCG, not Texas. So, I don't understand what good as okie state win would have done for Texas. Please explain. Thanks.

fadada1
1/4/2009, 04:32 PM
i can't decide if it would be funnier for texas to win and get nothing... or lose and get nothing.

Jacie
1/4/2009, 06:18 PM
Jacie:

What did you mean by this statement:
"After losing to Tech they were counting on okie state to put them into the Big XII championship game."
If okie state beat us, then Tech would have gone to the CCG, not Texas. So, I don't understand what good as okie state win would have done for Texas. Please explain. Thanks.

Don't tell me you already forgot what happened? Texas had to have Oklahoma beat Tech, which OU did, then lose to aggie. Any other combination would have (and ultimately did) leave them out of the Big XII CG.

tulsaoilerfan
1/4/2009, 06:20 PM
Don't tell me you already forgot what happened? Texas had to have Oklahoma beat Tech, which OU did, then lose to aggie. Any other combination would have (and ultimately did) leave them out of the Big XII CG.

Texas also needed Tech to lose to Baylor, which damn near happened; i think we need to send the Flying Leach's some luggage or something to thank them. :)

TXBOOMER
1/4/2009, 06:24 PM

Incorrect. If OSU would have beat us it would have been a 2 way tie and Tech would have went to the Big 12 Championship game based on head to head victory over texass. Those whiners wanted us to win both games to keep them alive. They just didn't want us to beat the shat out of them which we did.

Widescreen
1/4/2009, 06:32 PM
That's right. They needed us to keep winning (but not do it impressively) to get a 3-way tie or for Tech to lose 1.

NCAAISAJOKE
1/4/2009, 06:34 PM
All their whining will make no difference because they are going to lose to The Ohio St. I think that Ohio St's defense matches up great with Texass offense. Texas having absolutely no running game is what will kill them. I will say that it will be 17-14 Ohio St. Even if I am wrong, no way Texass is blowing them out. Texas Tech didnt help their cause by losing to Ole miss either. Utah was a dagger though. No way does any sane person rank Texass #1 over Utah.

OUTrumpet
1/4/2009, 06:38 PM

Uh, without the 3-way tie, they didn't have a shot. TTU would have had the precious head-to-head argument over Texas if we had lost to Okie State.

bob
1/4/2009, 07:00 PM
Classic Mac. Got the team so preoccupied with longshot NC possibilities that they are going to lose the Ohio State game and embarrass themselves again.

stoopified
1/4/2009, 09:03 PM
Incorrect. If OSU would have beat us it would have been a 2 way tie and Tech would have went to the Big 12 Championship game based on head to head victory over texass. Those whiners wanted us to win both games to keep them alive. They just didn't want us to beat the shat out of them which we did.That to me was the funniest part about their WE GOT ROBBED arguement.They had to have us win OUr last two games vs.TT and oSu for them to have any shot at the CCG.I NEVER heard any of the media experts explain why the SUPERIOR Horns needed us to beat the Tortilla Tossers and Cowpukes in order for the Puke Orange Cows to get in the CCG.It was just too funny,Horns praying for TWO Sooner wins so they would have ANY chance at the CCG.

A-M
1/5/2009, 10:56 AM

Don't think I forgot anything. I remember that had we lost to Okie state, a 2 way tie with Tech & Texas would exist. Then, Tech would have gone to the CCG because Tech beat Texas , head to head. Okie state could not help Texas if they won or lost. They really needed to have Tech lose to us and Baylor and then okie state beat us for them to go to the CCG. However, since Tech beat Baylor shortly before we played okie state, okie state could do nothing to help them. How does that sound to your memory?

Widescreen
1/5/2009, 11:16 AM
Okie state could not help Texas if they won or lost.

Actually an OSU loss could potentially have helped Texas because it maintained the 3-way-tie which Texas needed to maintain any hope of going to the B12CG. As it happened, the OSU loss didn't help them but it could've if the poll voters had moved enough.

TexasLidig8r
1/5/2009, 12:28 PM
Classic Mac. Got the team so preoccupied with longshot NC possibilities that they are going to lose the Ohio State game and embarrass themselves again.

Yeah.. like losing 55 - 19 and quitting before halftime...

or losing to a non-BCS conference school in a bowl game...

or losing to a champ from arguably the weakest BCS conference. :rolleyes:

fwsooner22
1/5/2009, 12:36 PM

Yeah.....it's more impressive to go to bowls named after unknown companies and beat Iowa (6-6) by 2 (see Alamo Bowl)...........Go Horns..........We are National Champs cause we say so.........Yea Us............just shut up Tech......its us......its us.....can I say it louder......somebody hurry call daddy/get his plane and make a sign........yea us.......louder.......;) ;) ;)

theresonly1OU
1/5/2009, 12:37 PM

...or sitting on your @$$ on January 8th watching the team you beat bring home the trophy you couldn't.

But hey, I know: maybe if you fly a banner plane over the NC game, that might help!

I mean, it worked so well before, right?

Just don't worry yourself too much though; you can come visit the trophy anytime you want; we'll put it next to the other 7 we have in the switzer center.

fwsooner22
1/5/2009, 02:17 PM

Its so easy to criticize the losers of BCS bowls when you so rarely play in them. Rarely being relative to the University of Oklahoma that is.

Did you know that OU has won back to back to back Big 12 titles.

We will never win the coveted "banner flying championship". That's all yours.

Catman
1/5/2009, 05:54 PM
This whole thread is full of dumb. I have seen it stated many times that Texas needed Tech to lose to you ( this is true) Tech to lose to Baylor (also true) and you to lose to Oklahoma State (not true and full of dumb). You see the issue was they needed noone to beat you because they already beat you themselves.

A-M
1/6/2009, 11:02 AM
Actually an OSU loss could potentially have helped Texas because it maintained the 3-way-tie which Texas needed to maintain any hope of going to the B12CG. As it happened, the OSU loss didn't help them but it could've if the poll voters had moved enough.

I stand corrected as you are correct. Thanks.