PDA

View Full Version : CB Franks: Sooners will corral Tebow

OUTrumpet
1/4/2009, 12:14 PM
before one of our players opened their mouth.

Dominique Franks, talking trash on Tebow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3809361

Edit: I just wish he had said something about Tebow's jhorts.

stoopified
1/4/2009, 12:19 PM
Yeah but he is RIGHT.Actually I'm not sure Tebow would even be the FOURTH best qb in the Big 12.Robinson,Freeman,Reisling might be better.

PDXsooner
1/4/2009, 12:20 PM
This is great -- this stuff just adds more hype to the game. Let's face it, this stuff has no effect on the outcome. If you need other people's trash talk to get you hyped, you're not a real competitor.

Red October
1/4/2009, 12:24 PM
Great..

I wish Stoops would put a gag order on all players, with the exception of a chosen few who can conduct an interview without giving the competition cause for motivation.

This is the same kind of stuff Larry Birdine spewed in '04, and..well, I wont remind everyone happend.

I would rather they keep this kind of stuff in the locker room instead of blabbing to the media.

oupride
1/4/2009, 12:26 PM
i did not read anything that i would call trash. Please enlighten me?

SPuL
1/4/2009, 12:30 PM
Ok wtf? Florida's had COUNTLESS trash talking comments worse than that. Yet ESPN decides to put the first Sooner who talks smack?

Pshh... figures they'd do that.

tulsaoilerfan
1/4/2009, 12:35 PM
Too bad Boz isn't on this team; one can only imagine what he would have to say about Tebow. :)

spatton713
1/4/2009, 01:01 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Oklahoma's defenders have had enough of all the questions about the Big 12's shaky defensive numbers this season.

They've also apparently had enough of the Tim Tebow talk.

Oklahoma sophomore cornerback Dominique Franks said during interviews with the media Sunday morning at the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & Spa that Tebow would have been no better than the fourth-best quarterback in the Big 12 this season.

Oklahoma's Dominique Franks said stepping up to the task this season of defending Big 12 quarterbacks was no easy chore.
"If you look at the three best quarterbacks in the country, they came from the Big 12," said Franks, referring to Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, Texas' Colt McCoy and Texas Tech's Graham Harrell.

"The three best receivers in the country came from the Big 12. The three best tight ends came from the Big 12. So we've faced some great offenses, and a lot of people don't understand that other conferences don't have what we face."

Franks didn't stop there, either. He said the Heisman voters got it right this year in selecting Bradford for the coveted award, no doubt spicing up the prelude to Thursday's FedEx BCS National Championship Game.

"With us being in Florida and playing against Florida, everybody's going to think Tebow should have won the Heisman," Franks said. "But the right person won the Heisman, and we're going to go out there and show everybody the reason why he won it."

The Sooners are ranked 63rd nationally in total defense and 98th in pass defense. Franks and his defensive teammates grew increasingly agitated Sunday as the questions persisted about Oklahoma's defense not being able to hold up against Tebow and the Florida offense.

Franks said the best quarterbacks in the Big 12 were more difficult to prepare for than Tebow, who's passed for 22 touchdowns, rushed for 10 touchdowns and thrown just two interceptions during the Gators' nine-game winning streak.

"Going into a game and knowing a quarterback's going to throw the ball 40 times a game versus coming into a game and knowing he's probably only going to throw it about 15 or 20. ... It makes it a lot harder to prepare for those [Big 12] guys," Franks said.

Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy added, "[Tebow] really knows what he's doing, but I think we're prepared enough that we'll know what they're
doing as well as they know it."

Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables said he doesn't agree with all of Franks' comments.

"I don't know, maybe it's just a young guy who doesn't know any better," Venables said. "He doesn't watch enough tape. I really mean that. But I think he's going to bat for a lot of guys who he has a lot of respect for."

Venables said that some of Franks' comments might have been sparked by disparaging comments about Big 12 defenses this season.

"Obviously, any time anybody doubts you if you have any competitive fire or competitive nature, you get fired up and excited for that. It gets you to perk up and sit up a little bit straighter in your chair," Venables said. "But still, being mad doesn't make you play better. It's still a process.

"This week is no different than the Big 12 championship or UT-Chattanooga. I believe that whole-heartedly. There's a process you have to invest in. And if you do, usually good things will happen."

Franks said he likes the fact that nobody respects the defenses of the Big 12.

Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes said on Saturday it seemed they put most of the best athletes in the Big 12 on offense and that the defenses looked a step slow.

"We've heard it all year," Franks said. "Like I said, this is going to be our chance to prove everybody wrong."

The Sooners' second-team All-Big 12 cornerback also said he was unconcerned about giving Tebow any extra motivation. Historically, Tebow has played some of his best games after being called out by opposing players.

"No, he said he wanted to face a Big 12 defense," countered Franks, who had four interceptions this season. "It's been great listening to all the comments they've been making. On January 8, we're going to see. Everybody is saying our defense is suspect in the back end. Hopefully, he'll throw me the ball a couple of times, and I can get my hands on it."

olevetonahill
1/4/2009, 01:21 PM
I believe we gonna see a Stronger D effort than we've seen ALL year .

MojoRisen
1/4/2009, 01:30 PM
I hope Franks is fired up to cover in this game - we are going to need him playing with confidence.

I guess all the talk got too him a little - just a little. :) Here is his chance to show what kind of athletes the big 12 plays on defense. I wouldn't mind him taking back a punt either.

Take care of the ball and get after these mo-fo's

stoopified
1/4/2009, 01:31 PM
Too bad Boz isn't on this team; one can only imagine what he would have to say about Tebow. :)I'm sure he would say something about their blue and orange unis making him puke.

TUSooner
1/4/2009, 01:35 PM
Just back it up, DF.

Iam4OUru
1/4/2009, 01:37 PM
I sure hope he can back up his words......

I'd rather not hear any of this sort of talk. I know, as a defensive player, he is tired of the questions about his ability but I'd rather he let his playing do the talkin'.

just sayin'.....

Collier11
1/4/2009, 01:42 PM
I love when players talk, I just hate it when they talk and dont back it up ala that one game. I hope he goes out and picks of Tebow three times

P3 Gator
1/4/2009, 01:45 PM
Venables did a good job with it.

Iam4OUru
I hope "Nique" performs, as well. I'd just rather leave the jabber to the other side. :D

TXBOOMER
Talk it up, hype it up. That crap has no effect on the outcome of the game unless it is over the top. F Florida!

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 01:46 PM
I don't remember Boz talking much trash BEFORE the game. But that was a long time ago.

Collier11
1/4/2009, 01:47 PM
The one thing I will enjoy is the more talk we hear throughout the week, the more the game will be hyped up. This will have the hype of that one game, two heisman winners, #1 vs #2, two great coaches, etc...

redhawk49
1/4/2009, 01:48 PM
I sure hope he can back up his words......

I'd rather not hear any of this sort of talk. I know, as a defensive player, he is tired of the questions about his ability but I'd rather he let his playing do the talkin'.

just sayin'.....
Agreed. But I do understand that a certain level of frustration sets in after awhile starting with tebow's text messages after the Heisman ceremony and all the crap up to this point. I think we all feel like he does-WE are The OKLAHOMA SOONERS DAMMIT! We were winning championships while they were making Gatorade!

Iam4OUru
1/4/2009, 01:48 PM
I don't remember Boz talking much trash BEFORE the game. But that was a long time ago.

:D

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 01:59 PM
Oklahoma sophomore cornerback Dominique Franks said... that Tebow would have been no better than the fourth-best quarterback in the Big 12 this season.

"If you look at the three best quarterbacks in the country, they came from the Big 12," said Franks, referring to Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, Texas' Colt McCoy and Texas Tech's Graham Harrell.

That is just bad journalism. Franks said nothing about where Tebow would have been ranked if he had played in the Big XII. He was simply complimenting the QBs in his own conference.

Venables is spot on with his comments.

Toronto Sooner
1/4/2009, 02:01 PM
Venables did a good job with it.

No way. I know a coach has to be a fence sitter (in order to not motivate the competition), but in this case I found him to be spineless. This is what's missing from our coaching staff - they no longer seem to have the big game fire in BCS games (they don't seem to be hungry enough).

Sometimes you have to be 40 and a man.

I would have rather Venables put himself at risk and better support Franks. Personally, I think his fence sitting comments disrepected Franks. How do you expect your players to go out there and sacrifice themselves for you? The Sooner D has been hearing thus stuff for more than a month now. They have been extremely well behaved. But, a person can only keep it bottled up for so long.

Good on ya D. Franks. I believe our D players are talented enough to back it up. I just wish Venables wasn't so spineless.

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 02:01 PM
The one thing I will enjoy is the more talk we hear throughout the week, the more the game will be hyped up. This will have the hype of that one game, two heisman winners, #1 vs #2, two great coaches, etc...

... and we'll get demolished. And Tebow wil run right over Franks for a big gain.

Haven't we been through this many times before?

tulsaoilerfan
1/4/2009, 02:07 PM

Really? Do you not recall the infamous quotes before the Texas game in either 84 or 85? A reporter asked him innocently why he didn't go to Texas and he told em why. :)

tulsaoilerfan
1/4/2009, 02:07 PM
And don't forget the UCLA game in 86; Boz had a way with words you might say. :)

MojoRisen
1/4/2009, 02:09 PM
Franks was only saying that hey we were rated 98th because dudes throw the ball 40+ times a game against us and especially when they are down 42 points before they realized what hit them.

If you only have to cover 20 times you are going to be ranked at least 50 spots higher in pass D..

I hope they go right at Franks, he and Jackson have been jumping routes early as of late for us!

GG84
1/4/2009, 02:10 PM
Wow do I feel better about this game after reading those comments. It's easier to play a QB who you know is going to throw 40 times rather than a QB who is a threat to run or throw? Was this guy on the field for WVU last year? lol.

OUstud
1/4/2009, 02:12 PM
No way. I know a coach has to be a fence sitter (in order to not motivate the competition), but in this case I found him to be spineless. This is what's missing from our coaching staff - they no longer seem to have the big game fire in BCS games (they don't seem to be hungry enough).

Sometimes you have to be 40 and a man.

I would have rather Venables put himself at risk and better support Franks. Personally, I think his fence sitting comments disrepected Franks. How do you expect your players to go out there and sacrifice themselves for you? The Sooner D has been hearing thus stuff for more than a month now. They have been extremely well behaved. But, a person can only keep it bottled up for so long.

Good on ya D. Franks. I believe our D players are talented enough to back it up. I just wish Venables wasn't so spineless.

:texan: You serious Clark?

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 02:14 PM
I would have rather Venables put himself at risk and better support Franks.

Venables is trying to get his D to take Tebow seriously. If Venables doesn't do it, Tebow will.

Personally, I think his fence sitting comments disrepected Franks. How do you expect your players to go out there and sacrifice themselves for you?

At this point, Franks has to play hard just to keep from making a fool of himself.

The Sooner D has been hearing thus stuff for more than a month now. They have been extremely well behaved. But, a person can only keep it bottled up for so long.

There is no excuse for shooting your mouth off. He could simply have said "Tebow is a great QB and we look forward to the challenge."

Another words, if our D gets lit up it will be Venables' fault.

For the record, if our D lays an egg, it is on the players. They made the claims, now they have to back them up.

P3 Gator
1/4/2009, 02:15 PM
Several SEC defenders I talked to this season said the more smack you talked to Tebow during the game, the better he became.

I'm betting Franks' comments are already posted all over the Florida Atlantic locker room where the Gators are practicing this week in South Florida.

Just call it a hunch.

Link (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec)

GrapevineSooner
1/4/2009, 02:17 PM
I have as much of a problem with Franks saying these things as I did when Torrance Marshall told Chris Weinke he was going to get his boy's trophy back before the Orange Bowl 8 years ago.

We played rather well that night with that chip on our shoulder IIRC.

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 02:18 PM
And don't forget the UCLA game in 86; Boz had a way with words you might say.

But again, I think he said those things after the game.

For example, he said that he respected Nebraska because they came out and hit you in the mouth, but at UCLA they played girl's football. Pretty sure that was said after the game, though.

I admit I could be wrong. That was over 20 years ago.

MojoRisen
1/4/2009, 02:18 PM
Nothing he said disrespected TEBOW, hell 2 QB's and almost 3 finished ahead of TEBOW in the Hiesman Rankings out of the big 12. So Franks said Harrell was better than Tebow - statistically it is not even a comparison.

Not only that, I thought he was pretty clear that it is a lot easier for him to prepare for Tebow because mainly he throws the ball 15-20 times a game instead of 40 times a game. Clearly you are not going to put up nearly as many stats if you completed between 12-14 passes a game at 10 yards a clip.

Tebow is not Matt Leinhart folks!

If we stop the run, Tebow will not be throwing to wide open recievers because we were cheating to stop the run.

SoonerStormchaser
1/4/2009, 02:19 PM
Reisling might be better.

If you like fine wines, then yes....Todd REESING, however...

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 02:19 PM
I have as much of a problem with Franks saying these things as I did when Torrance Marshall told Chris Weinke he was going to get his boy's trophy back before the Orange Bowl 8 years ago.

To be honest, Marshall was lucky he didn't get flagged for that one.

josh09
1/4/2009, 02:24 PM
before one of our players opened their mouth.

Dominique Franks, talking trash on Tebow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3809361

Edit: I just wish he had said something about Tebow's jhorts.

We better back this up....

Scotty
1/4/2009, 02:24 PM
Is that you, NickZepp ?

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 02:26 PM
The NickZepp comparisons are passe. Where were you two years ago?

MojoRisen
1/4/2009, 02:29 PM
Mccoy was worse! I loved it, he siad that Tebow really knows what he is doing out there! we also know what he is doing and we may no what he is doing better than him!

Damn

Iam4OUru
1/4/2009, 02:33 PM
Mccoy was worse! I loved it, he siad that Tebow really knows what he is doing out there! we also know what he is doing and we may no what he is doing better than him!

Damn

Knowing what they're doing is one thing.....

Being able to stop it is another.

soonervegas
1/4/2009, 02:35 PM
I remember one time when a d lineman of ours said a bowl opponent was about as good as kansas state.

Said bowl team put up 55 on us.

I wonder at what point will our players and coaching staff learn their lesson?

It doesn't appear we have approximately 4 days before a very important title game.

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 02:37 PM

Damn that English teacher that failed me!

Fixed.

MojoRisen
1/4/2009, 02:41 PM
Hey, I am not for publically talking trash, but let's not act like all the sudden a team got motivated like Sampson and threw a boulder in the river either.

Confidence is important, knowing that you feel you are prepared enough to know what Tebow's tendencies are - is actually half the battle to stoping them.

I like it, sounds like we are preparing..

Neither one of them said Florida is as good as so and so....

adoniijahsooner
1/4/2009, 02:44 PM
Knowing what they're doing is one thing.....

Being able to stop it is another.

i have watched the Bama and Florida game 3 times, and I understand what McCoy means. It is pretty obvious when Tebow is going to run the ball, and his throwing motion allows you to know who he is going to throw the ball to.

I think franks really wanted to say "Tim Tebow can kiss my ***!"

Soonerus
1/4/2009, 02:48 PM
I agree with Franks...the Florida balloon is about to bust...

Curly Bill
1/4/2009, 02:53 PM
I remember one time when a d lineman of ours said a bowl opponent was about as good as kansas state.

Said bowl team put up 55 on us.

I wonder at what point will our players and coaching staff learn their lesson?

It doesn't appear we have approximately 4 days before a very important title game.

Is the sky also falling? :rolleyes:

Iam4OUru
1/4/2009, 02:53 PM
i have watched the Bama and Florida game 3 times, and I understand what McCoy means. It is pretty obvious when Tebow is going to run the ball, and his throwing motion allows you to know who he is going to throw the ball to.

But...but....but........

what about all that speed? ;)

adoniijahsooner
1/4/2009, 02:54 PM
I disagree that trash talk and being prepared cant go hand in hand. Michael Jordon was the best trash talker in sports, and he has six rings.

If our boys are prepared and leave their guts on that field, I for one don't care what they say.

Iam4OUru
1/4/2009, 02:59 PM
If our boys are prepared and leave their guts on that field, I for one don't care what they say.

I somewhat agree with that but, as far as OU in BCS games.......it ain't quite turnt out that way....

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 03:02 PM
Confidence is important, knowing that you feel you are prepared enough to know what Tebow's tendencies are - is actually half the battle to stoping them.

But this isn't confidence we are talking about; this is taking an opponent lightly.

I disagree that trash talk and being prepared cant go hand in hand. Michael Jordon was the best trash talker in sports, and he has six rings.

First, Franks is not Michael Jordan. Second, Michael Jordan, being one of only five on the court and the leader of the team, had far more control over how well the Bulls played.

soonervegas
1/4/2009, 03:03 PM
We should do our talking on the field......

Something we haven't done in the BCS since the 2003 Rose Bowl.

olevetonahill
1/4/2009, 03:11 PM
Fixed.

Are you a doosh all the Time or Just when yer awake ?

MojoRisen
1/4/2009, 03:14 PM
Leroy, believe me no-one but Florida is taking anyone lightly.

Plus I am telling McCoy you were bashing on his grammer! I think you have never competed at a high level to take words and turn it into taking someone lightly.

AlbqSooner
1/4/2009, 03:15 PM

He has doosh dreams?

MR2-Sooner86
1/4/2009, 03:24 PM
This reminds me of something...
It's as if I've heard this before...

I feel like they're, I'd say, a one-and-a-half-man team,' I want to respect them just because I have to play them, but then I watch them on tape and everything, and I realize that they're an average team. I don't think Matt Leinart should have won the Heisman. He's definitely overrated. Like I said, he's a good quarterback, but he's not a Heisman-winning quarterback.

tulsaoilerfan
1/4/2009, 03:29 PM
Birdine was evidently right cause Leinfart can't beat out a 50 year old man in the NFL; as wide open as the receivers were in that game, i could have thrown them the ****ing ball

ETGator1
1/4/2009, 03:29 PM
I'll make this simple so my meaning can't be misunderstood. UF has heard this bravado out of defenses better than Oklahoma. Franks and McCoy have let their mouths write checks they cannot cash. UF will run the ball up the gut on OU and Tebow will pass and run over the OU secondary. If Franks finds himself in a one on one situation with Tebow, he'd better tackle low and pray Tebow doesn't hurt him.

In a similar reverse situation, Ryan Stamper and Brandon Spikes have overloaded their mouths by saying it's possible to hold OU to 16 points. That's dumb, dumb, dumb too.

Insofar as who is the best QB, Tim Tebow is the best in the nation. Your bunch of yahoo sports writers in the southwest who left Tebow out of the top 3 when Tebow had the most #1 votes can't change that. Sam Bradford has Tim Tebow's trophy. Come Thursday night after the pounding Sam's going to take from the UF defense in OU's loss, he'll still have Tim Tebow's trophy, but there will be no doubt that Tebow is the best QB who was robbed by the southwest sports writers.

Curly Bill
1/4/2009, 03:32 PM
I'll make this simple so my meaning can't be misunderstood. UF has heard this bravado out of defenses better than Oklahoma. Franks and McCoy have let their mouths write checks they cannot cash. UF will run the ball up the gut on OU and Tebow will pass and run over the OU secondary. If Franks finds himself in a one on one situation with Tebow, he'd better tackle low and pray Tebow doesn't hurt him.

In a similar reverse situation, Ryan Stamper and Brandon Spikes have overloaded their mouths by saying it's possible to hold OU to 16 points. That's dumb, dumb, dumb too.

Insofar as who is the best QB, Tim Tebow is the best in the nation. Your bunch of yahoo sports writers in the southwest who left Tebow out of the top 3 when Tebow had the most #1 votes can't change that. Sam Bradford has Tim Tebow's trophy. Come Thursday night after the pounding Sam's going to take from the UF defense in OU's loss, he'll still have Tim Tebow's trophy, but there will be no doubt that Tebow is the best QB who was robbed by the southwest sports writers.

Mom! Make Sam give Timmy his trophy back! :D

What a whiney little troll.

Toronto Sooner
1/4/2009, 03:34 PM
"I don't think Matt Leinart should have won the Heisman. He's definitely overrated. Like I said, he's a good quarterback, but he's not a Heisman-winning quarterback."

Hey Birdine was partly right. Leinart turned out to be a BIG FAT BUST.

Toronto Sooner
1/4/2009, 03:35 PM
Tulsaoilerfan, you beat me to it.

Iam4OUru
1/4/2009, 03:36 PM

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!!!!!!!! Keep it up, dude.....I'm lovin' it! I might not like it when OU's players spout off but I get fired up when clowns like you do it!

:pop:

Iam4OUru
1/4/2009, 03:38 PM
Mom! Make Sam give Timmy his trophy back! :D

LMAO!!!

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 03:39 PM
Plus I am telling McCoy you were bashing on his grammer! I think you have never competed at a high level to take words and turn it into taking someone lightly.

http://eslus.com/LESSONS/GRAMMAR/Gram.htm

PDXsooner
1/4/2009, 03:47 PM

I don't think Tebow's the best QB. I think Bradford is better and I think Colt McCoy's better. I also think Michael Crabtree's better.

Maybe some other people thought the same thing.

Why didn't the sportswriters in the South rank Bradford #1? I think they tried to rob him of the trophy myself.

TXBOOMER
1/4/2009, 04:10 PM
Does shat talk only help our competitor? LSU talked a bunch of shat prior to the Sugar Bowl. Jumping up and down before the game and talking shat has no effect on the execution on the field. It is good for the media and chat boards and that is about it. F Litig8r.

MojoRisen
1/4/2009, 04:22 PM
Definitely, shiat talk is OK too a degree- I have played in games and was the only white dude. People can jump around and talk all the smack they want if we are focused in what needs to be done and not intimidated we are fine.

Truth be told we lather up just as nice as Florida so let's get it on!

I will also take a moment to thank my team for making it possible for me to look at arse on south beach for a couple of days getting ready to be the
12th guy trying to make the BCS National Championship a real envrionment to remember!

BOOMER

RedstickSooner
1/4/2009, 04:33 PM
Too bad Boz isn't on this team; one can only imagine what he would have to say about Tebow. :)

The Boz would back it up.

fadada1
1/4/2009, 04:36 PM
don't like the smack talk at all, but you gotta think the defense is tired of hearing all about tebow. you think phlorida's D is getting near the questions about OU's offense/bradford??? sure, they get the courtesy question, but the slobberfest over tebow has to wear on these guys.

just back up your statements, franks.

FirstandGoal
1/4/2009, 04:37 PM
When I first heard that Dom had made these comments, my gut reaction was to wince and hope like hell that it wasn't as disrespectful as everyone was making it out to be.

After carefully reading his comments, I have come to the conclusion that nothing out of line was really said. In fact, he is only saying what all of us have been saying to the Gators that visit over here, which is nobody plays offense better right now than the Big 12.

Now if he would have said something along the lines of "We are going to hold Florida's offense to under 'X' amount of points...."

Well, then that would have been a dumas statement ;)

MojoRisen
1/4/2009, 04:46 PM
I believe he wants that opportunity! Take it from straight he can make a big difference in run support and big plays to get us back in the game..

Let's get it on Franks! Thanks for not going to USC

OUMedMan
1/4/2009, 04:58 PM
I guess I don't quite understand this.

With OU's recent record in BCS games -- why in the world are any of the OU players giving the gators bulletin board material?

Are any of them at all aware of Birdine's absurd statement -- that Leinert was a best a mediocre quarterback -- and then said mediocre quarterback passed for about 500 yards and 55 points on the Sooners?

Are they aware of Birdine being mocked in the third quarter of said game when the USC offensive line kept askign him "Is Leinert still a mediocre quarterback?"

Why, oh why, would OU players and coaches do anything but give the Gators the highest respect possible?

redhawk49
1/4/2009, 05:21 PM
National Commies Against......IDK, :confused: something or another, But I liked when he painted his shoes to look like buffalo hooves in Boulder. Also, same game where he gave a subtle up yours arm signal to the CU student section.:D

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 05:53 PM
National Commies Against......IDK

And if the Sooners were playing the NCAA that night your example would be relevant.

Hotrod3157
1/4/2009, 06:35 PM
I'm a noob but have read on here for some time and am a lifetime Sooner fan. When I opened my browser and my yahoo homepage popped up guess what is on the front page now. A link to the article and a headline saying an Oklahoma player has dissed Tim Tebow. Florida has talked trash for a few weeks and you have to actually try and find the articles and quotes. One OU player says something and bam front page of Yahoo gotta love that bs.

adoniijahsooner
1/4/2009, 06:41 PM
I'm a noob but have read on here for some time and am a lifetime Sooner fan. When I opened my browser and my yahoo homepage popped up guess what is on the front page now. A link to the article and a headline saying an Oklahoma player has dissed Tim Tebow. Florida has talked trash for a few weeks and you have to actually try and find the articles and quotes. One OU player says something and bam front page of Yahoo gotta love that bs.

I noticed that as well

CrimsonJim
1/4/2009, 06:49 PM

As cranky as he gets with grammar and bad journalism, he's probably a real ****** when it comes to spellin'. :D

Lay off the Cheetoh's Leroy, and come back when you can play better with others.

Edit: Doh! I didn't realize ****** was a banned word. heh heh heh Lemme straighten up my nOOb hat. :(

goingoneight
1/4/2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah... Birdine and the Sooner team collectively laid a turd in the 2005 Orange Bowl. Leinart was a great college QB for USC, as was Zabransky for Boise State. While Leinart's making good bank right now, he's taking about as many NFL snaps as Zabransky, Mauck and Pat White.

Truth be told, college football awards should be moved to the far end of the season. I mean, if awards were about votes, Florida would take the trophy and run with it. Maybe OU would have taken a different approach in 2003, 2004, maybe even 2008/9. The awards should be scheduled AFTER the college football playoffs. :D

OU_Sooners75
1/4/2009, 07:12 PM
Where is the trash talk?

I see a lot of passion and a lot of facts in his statements, but no trash talk.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/4/2009, 07:21 PM
Hey Birdine was partly right. Leinart turned out to be a BIG FAT BUST.

Why you gotta talk bad about big fat busts?
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5917/ewagreentop055su.jpg

Toronto Sooner
1/4/2009, 07:46 PM
Why you gotta talk bad about big fat busts?

LOL - that was funny :cool:

OUstud
1/4/2009, 08:51 PM
I'm amused at what passes as "smack talk" nowadays. It's like every player is expected to fellate their opponent, and when they God forbid give an honest opinion to a muckraking, middle school-caliber journalist it's suddenly bulletin board material. :rolleyes:

Whet
1/4/2009, 08:53 PM
You should know, the questioner that asked Franks those questions is the SID of FLORIDA!

If you look on the Orange Bowl website, you can read the questions this HOMER asked OU vs. those questions he asked Florida.....

Jason, do you guys as a team ever get angry at Tebow when you have to wait for him as he's signing autograph after autograph and you're on the bus waiting?
I asked Watkins the same question and I'll ask you guys: Do you ever get annoyed at Tebow when you're on the bus and you have to wait for him to sign all those autographs and you're hungry?
Tim, you've been involved in public speaking for many years through the missionary trips that you've done with your family. I was wondering if you could just talk about how difficult some of that was early on, and if you think being able to handle speaking in front of lots of people has helped you and how as a football player.
Steve, I remember talking to Coach Meyer about this, knowing what Tim has done going to the Philippines and missionary work and going to prisons, what does that tell you about him not only as a player but as a human being?
This is for all three of the offensive linemen: As the protectors of Tebow, you guys probably know him better than anyone else. We know he does mission trips and visits hospitals, does he ever do anything wrong? Does he ever not leave a tip? Trip people in the street ?Now questions to OU:

Tim Tebow has been described as a guy who has a frame of a linebacker and legs of a running back. Based on what you have seen on film of him, what challenges will he pose to your defense?
If I could follow, Nic, he does that jump ball type thing sometimes, too, comes to the line and just jumps it over, tosses it. Is that something that you have seen before by other quarterbacks?
Obviously you get to practice against one of the best offenses in the country. I know it's not the same as Florida's, but is there anything you can take away that's going to help you with the speed and the quickness of this team?To OU:
To any of you guys, this game has sort of been billed as the SEC style with their defense and the Big 12 style with their offense. Do you take a little disrespect from that? To Florida:
I'm just curious if you guys view this as a Big 12 versus SEC, two different ways of doing it? How do you guys view that? You've heard the hype. I'm sure you guys talk about it somewhat. We've heard about the Big 12 and the offenses, we've heard about the defenses in the SEC. Can you guys comment on the two different brands of football?
Jason, a lot of people talk about the Big 12, Oklahoma, Big 12 doesn't play defense. As an offensive lineman what have you seen that pretty much says they have a pretty decent defensive front?

sooner2b09
1/4/2009, 09:04 PM
I also agree that I dont think he was trash talking, the writer spun it to sound like he would be number 4 in the Big 12, when all Franks was saying was that the 3 QB's in the Big 12 were great and hard to prepare for.

SoonerHawk
1/4/2009, 10:28 PM
Ok wtf? Florida's had COUNTLESS trash talking comments worse than that. Yet ESPN decides to put the first Sooner who talks smack?

EXACTLY!! Mandel with SI did the same thing. Here is the link: http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/the_sweep/posts/37581-custom-fit-for-the-bulletin-board?eref=fromSI

Hotrod3157
1/4/2009, 10:32 PM
Now we get to hear about what Franks said on EsPin tonight if anybody still watches Sportscenter. Anybody wanna lay odds on any mention of what all Florida has said over the past month? I'm guessin slim to none

8timechamps
1/4/2009, 10:37 PM
To be honest, Marshall was lucky he didn't get flagged for that one.

Have you ever been anywhere near a cointoss at a football game? This was/is common in high school, college and pro.

And for the record, Boz talked a lot before big games. If you've forgotten, please re-read his book, find some old news video. He was the mouthpiece for Sooner football.

catsigater
1/4/2009, 10:42 PM
I also agree that I dont think he was trash talking, the writer spun it to sound like he would be number 4 in the Big 12, when all Franks was saying was that the 3 QB's in the Big 12 were great and hard to prepare for.

Don't see that what he said was exactly bb material. Sounds like he's pretty realistic...

Even though Franks made waves Sunday by saying there were three quarterbacks in the Big 12 that were better than Florida's Tim Tebow, he acknowledged that the Sooners haven't seen the kind of speed this season the Gators will put on the field Thursday.

"This will be the fastest team we've faced," Franks said.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec?tag=FedEX%20BCS%20National%20Championship%20Ga me

landrun
1/4/2009, 10:50 PM

So true!

ESPIN hates us. They didn't want us in the Championship game and are doing everything they can to make us look bad. I hope we play better than we have all year and dominate in this game.

adoniijahsooner
1/4/2009, 10:51 PM
Have you seen Tebow when he's angry? He's exactly the kind of player who takes perceived slights personally

its comments like this that make other teams get tired of Mr. Tebow. Stewart Mandel did not bring up one quote by a florida player. If we are "lucky" enough for tebow not to get angry at poor Dom Franks maybe we still might have a chance.

adoniijahsooner
1/4/2009, 10:53 PM
Hey Stewart Mandel, my fiance looks better than Tim Tebows. How about that?

Hotrod3157
1/4/2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah it was a very realistic comment that a cornerback would rather be in pass coverage only 25 times a game instead of 40 or 50 like in Big 12 games and Tebows stats just don't compare to the Big 12 qb's this year. He gave real honest answers and everybody just heard what they wanted to hear and now that one sports network is going to make sure everybody hears it. I'm so ready for Thursday to get here so I don't have to hear about Tebow for a little while.

Toronto Sooner
1/4/2009, 11:40 PM
That Florida reporter (asking the questions) sounds like he has his head up Tebow's butt. There is a perfect part for him to play in the movie "Hancock". Anyone that has seen the movie knows exactly the part I am refering to.

the_ouskull
1/4/2009, 11:41 PM
Dominique Franks has an opportunity to make a historical name for himself in "Sooner Lore." He also has an equal opportunity to make himself look like a complete idiot. Who is he going to be? Torrance Marshall, ("You got my boy's trophy.") or Matt Hassellbeck? (We want the ball. And we're going to score.")

I think that, no matter what, he should be a captain for the coin toss. Our defense has been SORELY lacking a mouthy player.

the_ouskull

Curly Bill
1/4/2009, 11:50 PM
I like Franks' confidence...

Venables' cautious timidity not so much, of course with his track record in bowl games I understand. ;)

sooner2b09
1/4/2009, 11:59 PM
Dominique Franks has an opportunity to make a historical name for himself in "Sooner Lore." He also has an equal opportunity to make himself look like a complete idiot. Who is he going to be? Torrance Marshall, ("You got my boy's trophy.") or Matt Hassellbeck? (We want the ball. And we're going to score.")

I think that, no matter what, he should be a captain for the coin toss. Our defense has been SORELY lacking a mouthy player.

the_ouskull

See: Nic Harris Texas Tech game

tuckfebow
1/5/2009, 12:13 AM
While Tebow is out there daydreaming about what camp overseas he will be attending this summer, OU will quickly dominate and back up all of the talk.

8timechamps
1/5/2009, 01:00 AM
Surprisingly, it was kinda downplayed on Sportscenter.

I personally don't think it's going to do anything except force Dom to play at his best.

HoustonsOwn
1/5/2009, 01:01 AM
just read the first page of posts (not reading this whole thing) but...

i have no problem with this by any measure.....i've been sick of Florida players sayin slick **** about us

and i'm not a huge "****-talkin" fan, but at some point or another, you gotta let some facts be known....that's all franks was doing

facts like:

tebow would merely be the 4th best QB in the big 12...not only that, he could also be argued as the 5th best

the big 12 was LOADED with talent this year....so please, calm down with all the superhero talk....we have athletes galore

we'll be most likely defending 20 less passes on defense....sure, we'll have to play great defense in the secondary to not give up big plays (as with any game), but at least this time, those big pass plays are going to happen 20 less times

i'll take that.....

anyway, i'm glad we're showing swagger....reminds me of 2000 alot....can't wait for the game

boomer sooner

*goes back to lurking*

Desert Sapper
1/5/2009, 01:08 AM
I think the realistic side of this is that OU MUST stop UF's run game. If Tebow has to win with his arm, he will have some success, but UF's strength is the run game. Franks is right in the sense that OU has faced AT LEAST 3 teams that throw the ball more. McCoy is tougher to beat because he is fast. Tebow is strong and a good between the tackles runner. Both are intensely accurate.

I don't think Tebow will need any lockerroom material to be fired up for the game. It sounds like the OU D won't need any more lockerroom material either (although Tebow gave it early on). This Defense has been disrespected and disrespected and disrespected again. It's put up or shut up time. Either they ARE as bad as the media says, or...

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2009, 09:01 AM
There is a solution to this problem: Just don't talk to the media. Nothing good ever comes of it.

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2009, 09:05 AM
Yeah... Birdine and the Sooner team collectively laid a turd in the 2005 Orange Bowl. Leinart was a great college QB for USC, as was Zabransky for Boise State. While Leinart's making good bank right now, he's taking about as many NFL snaps as Zabransky, Mauck and Pat White.

As a fan of a team once quarterbacked by Jason White, of what possible relevance is Leinart's pro career to this discussion?

KSBoomerSoooner
1/5/2009, 10:06 AM
The sooners shouldn't say a word until Thursday. They have a lot to prove
http://soonersgameday.com/2009/01/05/dominique-franks-gives-tebow-more-motavation/

soonerbrat
1/5/2009, 10:27 AM
Great..

I wish Stoops would put a gag order on all players, with the exception of a chosen few who can conduct an interview without giving the competition cause for motivation.

This is the same kind of stuff Larry Birdine spewed in '04, and..well, I wont remind everyone happend.

I would rather they keep this kind of stuff in the locker room instead of blabbing to the media.

what happened? I don't remember anything about anything. was there a game?

Hot Rod
1/5/2009, 10:33 AM
The sooners shouldn't say a word until Thursday. They have a lot to prove
http://soonersgameday.com/2009/01/05/dominique-franks-gives-tebow-more-motavation/

Well, when a reporter asks a dumb question, he's gonna get a straight up answer from an OU player. Hats off to Franks!

SOFSooner
1/5/2009, 10:35 AM
I think it is funny that Florida players say all kinds of billboard making statements and there is nothing about it in the news. But let one of Bob's boys make a statement about where he thinks Tebow would rank in the quarterbacks in the Big XII and it automatically gets on all the news systems. I have a OU flag ready to fly on Friday at Camp Bondsteel in celebration of the 8th MNC at OU. SOONERS RULE!!!!!

soonerbrat
1/5/2009, 10:40 AM
http://eslus.com/LESSONS/GRAMMAR/Gram.htm

Since you're such a grammar whiz, you should know that there's not supposed to be an apostrophe for a plural noun. Unless Cheetoh is someone who has something that you shouldn't feed a dog, your grammar is incorrect.

olevetonahill
1/5/2009, 10:57 AM
Since you're such a grammar whiz, you should know that there's not supposed to be an apostrophe for a plural noun. Unless Cheetoh is someone who has something that you shouldn't feed a dog, your grammar is incorrect.

Hes Just a wizz ;)

CrimsonJim
1/5/2009, 12:15 PM
Hes Just a wizz ;)

He makes me want to take one......oh......wait, there wasn't an "H" in there, was there? :confused: