PDA

View Full Version : Football Freuds: why the gator visitors?

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2009, 10:05 AM
I've got a question for all you guys and gals. Why has the title game attracted all the gator analysts/visitors ? I understand the ones that want to find out something about the OU team or even the smack talkers. What I don't get are the ones compelled to camp here and post proof after proof that the gator team is superior. Any discussion of match-ups or team trends is immediately responded to by counter example or conference strength or just plain assertion of superiority. The posts include a barrage of stats and data and are even often accompanied by a final score prediction. It seems they feel that if any discourse goes without cross-examination, it will actually cost their team on the field during the game!

I have my theory on this behavior, but I'd like to hear yours.

G8trGr8t
1/4/2009, 10:18 AM
Boredom waiting for the game. Love to debate. Interaction with a different group of people from our own boards. Respect and desire for differing opinions.

olevetonahill
1/4/2009, 10:28 AM
Boredom waiting for the game. Love to debate. Interaction with a different group of people from our own boards. Respect and desire for differing opinions.

Plus everyBody Has to Be somewhere, Might as well Be here :D

lexsooner
1/4/2009, 10:32 AM
The psychological reason might be Gator fans, or Southern SEC fans in general, are more passionate about their sports teams than fans from other parts of the country. The practical reason might be SEC fans/Southerners have more time on their hands and sit around more than people from other parts of the country, which is conducive to being productive on internet message boards.

Here in Kentucky, it is common for folks to sit in their cars for long periods of time in store parking lots, just staring off into space while the spouse or whomever is shopping. I have never seen it anywhere else. You can walk through a lot and you look up and Buford is looking right at you from inside his parked pickup, where he has been for an hour.

oupride
1/4/2009, 10:43 AM
I've noticed that too. Many times a gator is the 1st responder to the thread, just like this one. Could it be to find some spec of information on OU that is not being talked about in the mainstream and pass it on?

MojoRisen
1/4/2009, 11:11 AM
They are the type of fans that firmly believe in trying to be a 12th man... If they give an inch on anything it is loosing the battle... Example would be all the flaming that came out after the Tech Ole Mis game.

They immediately thought they smelled blood and went for it and many even wanted to be executed and kicked of the board as some sort of victory that they have done all they can to raz us before the game.

It is going to suck for them to drive home and rattle their brains on what happened and why couldn't they couldn't use their speed..

If spacing is any example on what can happen to Bama then what can happen to Florida. I don't remember Florida speed on the ground really hurting Bama... But UTAH and the spread did

Bama has the higher rated D - and we are about 20-30 points better than Utah on offense.

Also I hope florida fans are a little nicer than LSU fans - I am not going to take BS or intimidation at the game or around the circus.

Darth Gator
1/4/2009, 11:12 AM
I am a Gator Fan and I registered in this forum a few days ago. I searched for a good Sooner Forum and this one seemed to be one of the better ones. I apologize in advance for the length of this post. Sorry.

To answer the thread...For my part, I enjoy hearing opposing points of view from the other teams. I actually only belong to one Gator Forum and I find it quite borring...not because the conversations are any less intelligent, but because as a Gator Fan in the heart of Gator Country....I have already read or heard everything they are talking about.

This is my first post on this forum. However, I have lurked and read for a few days now. Normally, I would post more, but most of the threads I have seen...well, there was either nothing more to add because it had been fully discussed or the conversation had simply digressed into an "Our team is better than your team" argument (from both UF and OU sides - admittedly often instigated by a UF fan just here to smack talk) and I would rather avoid conversations like that.

I will be attending the game in Miami and am already nervous. I think that the majority of Gator Fans, the smart ones, (despite what mainstream media would have you believe) has a HUGE respect for OU's team and coaches. Most of us still REALLY like Bob Stoops for his role in winning our first ever National Championship. It will definitely be our toughest test of the year. I think if we play our best game...flawless with no mistakes, Florida can win. If not, OU will be the champs. I agree that the Sooner offense is like nothing we have seen this year and have put up INCREDIBLE numbers. But I also believe that the Sooners have yet to face a defense as good as Florida's. I hate to stoop to a cliche' but it will be won or lost in the trenches. The media can talk all they want about Bradford's numbers and accuracy, Tebow's toughness and running, Harvin's speed and game-breaking ability, or anything else....but none of that happens without winning the line of scrimmage. I also dont understand the "Florida is favored" line of thought. Even in Vegas, the spread is only 3 points which is a statistical tie for the odds makers in Vegas with 3 points only awarded to a team that is considered the "home" team.

So, I will apologize for lurking in enemy territory and hope to represent the Gator Nation well. Win or lose, I will make a visit back here after the game to either say "Great Game - YEA!!!" ...or...."Great Game - dammit!!!!". Good luck and I look forward to reading some more of your posts. Go Gators!!!

sooner ngintunr
1/4/2009, 11:20 AM
cause gaytor forums suck

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2009, 11:32 AM
Good post, DarthGator. I think your opinion reflect similar thoughts to a lot of Sooner regulars on this board. Or I'm just projecting, because your thoughts are so similar to mine. You are not the type I'm asking about (or at least not in your first post) - you didn't even include the final score of the gator victory! ;)

My theory on the behavior is these folks are fighting that inner doubt and uncertainty that makes them feel uncomfortable. I think any intelligent fan knows that anything can happen and that we will all have nervous stomachs at kick-off time. But Dec 6th->Jan 8th is a looong time and some folks cannot deal with uncertainty for that long. If they put down on paper (or on a message board) data that makes it clear they will win, they can defer or at least lessen that feeling until game time. But my theory doesn't explain why they feel compelled to come here rather than the friendlier confines of a gator message board. So I'm going to combine my theory with the on posted by MojoRisen - they also need to feel proactive and be the 12th man. They need to go into enemy territory and do some verbal blocking and tackling and protect the gators backside.

olevetonahill
1/4/2009, 11:43 AM
Welcome Darth , I greened you , So stay that way .:D

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/4/2009, 02:46 PM
In answer to the original post question:

As my friends and I say to each other: "If you're trying to convince me, you can stop right there. If you're trying to convince yourself, however....":)

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2009, 03:02 PM
Got a few responses to this one.

A lot of truth here (especially the boredom of a 5 week wait). But the desire for differing opinions doesn't ring true to me. I know I'm lumping the posters together, but so many threads degrade to point/counter-point, and no real discourse. If there was just 1 gator visitor who said they were leaning toward OU to win, I would be convinced. I'm sure there are gator fans out there that honestly believe that, but are not the types to post here. We have seen that from visitors of other opponents - even a couple of horns this year prior to the game.

I've noticed that too. Many times a gator is the 1st responder to the thread, just like this one. Could it be to find some spec of information on OU that is not being talked about in the mainstream and pass it on?

I'm sure there is some of that - especially from lurkers who never post. But it doesn't explain the need to counter every single post.

They are the type of fans that firmly believe in trying to be a 12th man... If they give an inch on anything it is loosing the battle... Example would be all the flaming that came out after the Tech Ole Mis game....

This is the answer that explains things the best for me. For example there have been a couple of comments on the Citadel game. Why on earth would a gator fan feel compelled to respond to that? I mean there is absolutely no meaning to that game as it relates to how UF might match up to any decent BCS conference team. But if you think about the "12th man theory", you understand that you have to "finish your block" and "play until the whistle" no matter the circumstance. Sure enough, more than 1 gator defended the Citadel game.

Another analogy might be found in war games. The gators here might just feel the need to jam the communication channels of the enemy. I have to admit, it has worked against me as I now skip so many of the X & O threads that I normally enjoy. The point/counter-point threads are just so tedious and content free. Thank goodness game time is finally approaching.

OU_PhD
1/4/2009, 03:03 PM
How about the pleasure principle?

Better to stay here and continually and (over)confidently claim that Florida is flawless and will undoubtedly win the game, and avoid the brutal realities they might be faced with if they keep the conversation introspective and on their own boards.

ETGator1
1/4/2009, 03:09 PM
Would UF and OU playing for the first time ever in the BCSNCG have anything to do with it? Duh! (G)

For the record, I've seen OU fans visiting the free sites of Gator Country, Scout, and Rivals. When we go away after the game, you'll miss us. It might be like missing a headache, but you'll miss us. (wink)

OUDizzle
1/4/2009, 03:13 PM
Insecurity. Why else would a program with no real championship history and only recent success have such a large chip on their shoulder?

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2009, 03:17 PM
For the record, I've seen OU fans visiting the free sites of Gator Country, Scout, and Rivals.

I'm sure there are and I suspect the reasons are the same. I mean take any large sample of people and they really are similar. (Except LSU fans ;) )

AlbqSooner
1/4/2009, 03:26 PM
Penisenvy. Pound for pound gators have dinkie twinkies. Crocodiles on the other hand * * *;)

soonervegas
1/4/2009, 03:26 PM
Its the age of the fan base. I bet on average it is 15 years younger....

Think Kansas State with actual success.

L-Boy
1/4/2009, 03:41 PM
The psychological reason might be Gator fans, or Southern SEC fans in general, are more passionate about their sports teams than fans from other parts of the country. The practical reason might be SEC fans/Southerners have more time on their hands and sit around more than people from other parts of the country, which is conducive to being productive on internet message boards.

Here in Kentucky, it is common for folks to sit in their cars for long periods of time in store parking lots, just staring off into space while the spouse or whomever is shopping. I have never seen it anywhere else. You can walk through a lot and you look up and Buford is looking right at you from inside his parked pickup, where he has been for an hour.

:D I believe it.

DCGator
1/4/2009, 03:46 PM
My reason, and I suspect a number of others is that it's pretty d@mn exciting to be in the championship game. It takes luck, no matter how good your team is, to get there. I personally am milking all of the enjoyment I can out of these few weeks. I'm here rather than on a Gator board because I already know about the Gators, our strength and weaknesses. There is nothing to be learned, and no better depth of understanding of the game to be gained by spending all of my time on a Gator site. I spend some time here because I can gain a greater depth of understanding of OU and why, for instance, I should be screaming at the coaches from my seat in the stands "Call a crossing route you g-- d-mn idiot!!!" if Box turns out to be still injured.

You don't learn more about the opponent without having a discourse with them and questioning why your theories about the game are valid or not. And at least I personnally get a greater enjoyment of the game if I have a deeper understanding of what is going on and why, rather than just sitting in the stands saying "Ooh, that was a good play by that OU guy. I wonder what his name is."

L-Boy
1/4/2009, 03:49 PM
I've got a question for all you guys and gals. Why has the title game attracted all the gator analysts/visitors ? I understand the ones that want to find out something about the OU team or even the smack talkers. What I don't get are the ones compelled to camp here and post proof after proof that the gator team is superior. Any discussion of match-ups or team trends is immediately responded to by counter example or conference strength or just plain assertion of superiority. The posts include a barrage of stats and data and are even often accompanied by a final score prediction. It seems they feel that if any discourse goes without cross-examination, it will actually cost their team on the field during the game!

I have my theory on this behavior, but I'd like to hear yours.

I think if you are looking for rationality of fan behavior, you will exhaust yourself looking. Admittedly we are all wasting a lot of time and energy on this for no particularly good reason, except for the fact we must enjoy it.

As to why I post here - for various reasons - to get different opinions, perspectives, learn a little bit, but mostly because I kind of like to argue and debate, but in a constructive fashion, about a subject matter I enjoy. I am usually not much for mindless smack. I find homer boards, including some Gator boards, boring, because its all about the politically correct opinion. I rarely go to Gator Country, but I perused over there after Addazio, the O line coach, was made O Coor, and there was nothing but "EXCELLENT PICK!!". Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but I don't learn anything entering an echo chamber nor do I desire to win the prize for most compliant homer of the month.

But that's just me.

catsigater
1/4/2009, 06:50 PM
How about the pleasure principle?

Better to stay here and continually and (over)confidently claim that Florida is flawless and will undoubtedly win the game, and avoid the brutal realities they might be faced with if they keep the conversation introspective and on their own boards.

Or could be the opposite. The will to not be (self) deceived. (Raising your Freud and seeing you a Nietzsche) A Gator who thinks he possesses a good take on the game, will have it tested much more rigorously here, doncha think?