PDA

View Full Version : Why is Florida in the BCS game ???

ratedrsuperstar
1/4/2009, 08:14 AM
We have all heard the argument about why Oklahoma shouldn't be there by other teams fans and the media, the media at the same time says the best 2 teams now are in the championship game :rolleyes:
I got to looking at it and I haven't quiet figured out why these same folks are questioning the Gators. I used the final BCS rankings, not where they were ranked when the games were played.

Florida lost at home against a team that finished ranked 25th in the BCS. They did beat the #4 and the #15 ranked BCS teams, both a neutral sites.

Oklahoma lost at a neutral site to the #3 BCS team. The Sooners beat the #7 (at home), #11 (at home),#12 (at home),#13 (on the road) and #21 (neutral field) BCS ranked teams

Texas lost on the road against the #7 ranked BCS team and as we know beat one of the 2 teams in the championship game on a neutral field. The Horns also beat the #13 and #21 BCS teams, both at home.

USC lost on the road to Oregon State. They beat the #10 and the #17 ranked BCS teams.

Utah lost to no one all season while beating while beating the #11 and #16 BCS teams, both at home.

Alabama lost only to the #2 ranked BCS team on a neutral field. The tide beat the #15 (on the road) and #25 (at home) BCS teams

By looking at these facts, I think everyone is arguing about the wrong team being in the BCS game. USC and Utah have great cases as to why they should be in over the Gators based on who they lost to and where the game was played.

Circle City Gator
1/4/2009, 10:11 AM
Huh? USC lost to an unranked team. Texas did not win its conference. Utah? No non-BCS team is going to make the championship game. They systems isn't set up for it (fair or not), and their day-in day-out schedule does not justify it. Next thing you know, you'll be telling me Boise State is a legitimate BCS team, and we all know they would never fare well against a real team. ;)

P3 Gator
1/4/2009, 11:26 AM
At the time UF beat Bama, they were the number 1 ranked BCS and AP team and it was at a neutral site. At the time OU lost to Texas, the were number 1 in the AP (no BCS) and lost to a number 5 team at a neutral site. That's why.

stoopified
1/4/2009, 11:34 AM
Gators are ROADKILL

Bccajun
1/4/2009, 11:51 AM
At the time UF beat Bama, they were the number 1 ranked BCS and AP team and it was at a neutral site. At the time OU lost to Texas, the were number 1 in the AP (no BCS) and lost to a number 5 team at a neutral site. That's why.

and Florida gave up over 300 yards to The Citadel @ home

P3 Gator
1/4/2009, 11:55 AM

Yeah because the three deep guys were playing. UF had over 700 yards of offense that game too with mostly 2 and three deep guys the whole 2nd half.

fadada1
1/4/2009, 11:57 AM

you're still looking through the blue/orange shades.

loss to #5 on neutral site - OU to texas - OK
loss to #6 on the road - texas to tech - OK
loss to no one - utah - OK
loss to unranked team on the road - usc to oregon state - borderline OK
loss to unranked team at home - UF to ole miss - NOT GOOD!!!!

we all know who everyone beat and they're all impressive enough. the question is, who did you lose to and where. that's the original point of this thread.

Circle City Gator
1/4/2009, 11:57 AM

Yeah, after going ahead by 40 or 50 we put in guys who aren't even listed in the media guide. BFD.

fadada1
1/4/2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah because the three deep guys were playing. UF had over 700 yards of offense that game too with mostly 2 and three deep guys the whole 2nd half.

WELCOME TO OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

PDXsooner
1/4/2009, 12:13 PM
I would have jumped in here a month ago -- at this point, who cares? LET'S GET IT ON!!!!

Red October
1/4/2009, 12:18 PM
Florida's popularity in the media, polls and voters can be summed up in one simple equation.

ESPN + ABC + Tim Tebow = Lovefest.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2009, 01:03 PM
Florida used the tried and true formula - lose early, go on a long winning streak, win your CCG in a respected conference. Sound familiar? ;) The only real question for the title game was if it was going to be OU or TX. The Utah thing will die away quickly. We are talking about the BCS championship and they are from a non-BCS conference. I just don't see one of those teams ever getting more than an at-large bid. I'm guessing they are pretty happy with a Sugar bowl win and a final BCS rating in the top 5.

Dan Thompson
1/4/2009, 01:25 PM
ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

ETGator1
1/4/2009, 03:01 PM
Style points, same as OU.

L-Boy
1/4/2009, 03:30 PM
We have all heard the argument about why Oklahoma shouldn't be there by other teams fans and the media, the media at the same time says the best 2 teams now are in the championship game :rolleyes:
I got to looking at it and I haven't quiet figured out why these same folks are questioning the Gators. I used the final BCS rankings, not where they were ranked when the games were played.

Florida lost at home against a team that finished ranked 25th in the BCS. They did beat the #4 and the #15 ranked BCS teams, both a neutral sites.

Oklahoma lost at a neutral site to the #3 BCS team. The Sooners beat the #7 (at home), #11 (at home),#12 (at home),#13 (on the road) and #21 (neutral field) BCS ranked teams

Texas lost on the road against the #7 ranked BCS team and as we know beat one of the 2 teams in the championship game on a neutral field. The Horns also beat the #13 and #21 BCS teams, both at home.

USC lost on the road to Oregon State. They beat the #10 and the #17 ranked BCS teams.

Utah lost to no one all season while beating while beating the #11 and #16 BCS teams, both at home.

Alabama lost only to the #2 ranked BCS team on a neutral field. The tide beat the #15 (on the road) and #25 (at home) BCS teams

By looking at these facts, I think everyone is arguing about the wrong team being in the BCS game. USC and Utah have great cases as to why they should be in over the Gators based on who they lost to and where the game was played.

So the only criteria of whether you go to the BCS championship is who you lost to, and not who you beat??

That makes a LOT of sense. :rolleyes:

L-Boy
1/4/2009, 03:34 PM
you're still looking through the blue/orange shades.

loss to #5 on neutral site - OU to texas - OK
loss to #6 on the road - texas to tech - OK
loss to no one - utah - OK
loss to unranked team on the road - usc to oregon state - borderline OK
loss to unranked team at home - UF to ole miss - NOT GOOD!!!!

we all know who everyone beat and they're all impressive enough. the question is, who did you lose to and where. that's the original point of this thread.

That "unranked team" just beat the cowinner of the the Big 12 south.

Gat0r
1/4/2009, 03:59 PM

Stop with the logic. Doesn't apply on this thread.

fadada1
1/4/2009, 04:29 PM

i only remember seeing OU represent the big12 south in the championship game.

BermudaSooner
1/4/2009, 04:41 PM
The interesting theme here, is that most OU fans can look at this objectively and agree there are arguments for teams other than OU to be in the Championship game. We're glad we are here, and are deserving, but so are 3-4 other teams.

Florida fans, on the other hand, don't see this. Nothing but SEC, SEC, we're so fast.

Who had the worst loss (or best loss) is a legitimate discussion point and one of the criteria for deciding who is more deserving. When looking at these 5 teams, Florida and USC--BY FAR--had the worst losses. In fact, it isn't even close.

MarylandGator
1/4/2009, 05:27 PM
The interesting theme here, is that most OU fans can look at this objectively....WOW. seriously?

L-Boy
1/4/2009, 05:49 PM
WOW. seriously?

OU fan boards are no different than Bama Fan Boards, Nole Fan Boards or even Gator Fan boards or even partisan political blogs. There exists this mass delusion that THEY have the inside information on the state of the world and that ALL others just don't get it. The locals have been privileged with the correct and all knowing point of view.

Again, cherry picking one criteria, who you lost to, and making that the primary criteria baffles logic, but it was a few week backs when I heard this "best loss" argument by one of these goofy talking head TV sports pundits, so its not surprising to see it parroted back on fan message boards.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/4/2009, 06:58 PM
Again, cherry picking one criteria, who you lost to, and making that the primary criteria baffles logic, but it was a few week backs when I heard this "best loss" argument by one of these goofy talking head TV sports pundits, so its not surprising to see it parroted back on fan message boards.

BRAAAACK! Polly want a playoff? Braack!

DCGator
1/4/2009, 07:47 PM
The interesting theme here, is that most OU fans can look at this objectively and agree there are arguments for teams other than OU to be in the Championship game. We're glad we are here, and are deserving, but so are 3-4 other teams.

Florida fans, on the other hand, don't see this. Nothing but SEC, SEC, we're so fast.

Who had the worst loss (or best loss) is a legitimate discussion point and one of the criteria for deciding who is more deserving. When looking at these 5 teams, Florida and USC--BY FAR--had the worst losses. In fact, it isn't even close.

Ole Miss beating TT would seem to put that question to the test. Ole Miss > TT therefore Texas had a worse loss than UF. Honestly, I don't see us losing by 44 to anyone. Even though OU is #1, that drubbing shows some real weakness, so I would put TT's loss as worse than UFs 1 point loss.

Can anyone make a good argument for UFs loss being any worse than anyone but OU's? The "at home" argument is nice, but it is commonly accepted to be worth 3 pts.

L-Boy
1/4/2009, 09:32 PM
BRAAAACK! Polly want a playoff? Braack!

Yes, but then we wouldn't have all this Buzz and these stimulating debates, and the regular season games would be less important, and fans would just not show up, and college football would die due to lack of interest and everybody would start following lacrosse.[/Playoff opponents]

Hot Rod
1/4/2009, 09:45 PM
This thread should've been titled "bait for gator fans". Seemed to work.

L-Boy
1/4/2009, 10:37 PM
Ole Miss beating TT would seem to put that question to the test. Ole Miss > TT therefore Texas had a worse loss than UF. Honestly, I don't see us losing by 44 to anyone. Even though OU is #1, that drubbing shows some real weakness, so I would put TT's loss as worse than UFs 1 point loss.

Can anyone make a good argument for UFs loss being any worse than anyone but OU's? The "at home" argument is nice, but it is commonly accepted to be worth 3 pts.

If we want to take the best loss theory to its illogical end, then Boise St should have been playing Utah for the national championship, and UF fans are talking about their Sugar Bowl win and OU fans their Fiesta Bowl win.

o0Dan0o
1/5/2009, 03:50 AM
Ole Miss beating TT...

And Utah beat Bama. Bowl games have a weird way of playing out. Gator fans want to downplay their loss to Ole Miss, as Sooner fans would like to do so with their loss to UT.
Dan

o0Dan0o
1/5/2009, 03:52 AM
If we want to take the best loss theory to its illogical end, then Boise St should have been playing Utah for the national championship, and UF fans are talking about their Sugar Bowl win and OU fans their Fiesta Bowl win.

That depends on how you consider things. If you use worst loss as the first tie-breaker then your right, but if it's after several, such as strength of schedule, than it starts to make some sense. I, for one, would say UT's schedule was as difficult as Florida's.
Dan

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2009, 04:09 AM
Guys (Sooners and Gators), we're both in the BCS title game! This thread should be battled out on some longhorn/trojan/Ute message board. No need to keep running after you catch the bus.

Okie35
1/5/2009, 04:14 AM

if you want to go by "logic" ok then we also beat that team(tech) held them to their lowest point total while ole miss let them score more than the gators did besides the fact we played a healthier tech team... and ole miss beat tech on neutral while they beat the gators @ home and held them to only 30 unlike techs 34... so i mean logically if you put it together umm the gators are in for a huge loss... but i mean like i said thats "logic"... ole miss' defense was no better than baylor's "logically" lol... i think ppl(gator fans) need to realize it doesn't matter if it was a cowinner of the big 12... TECH IS NOWHERE NEAR THE CALIBER OF OU... FACT