PDA

View Full Version : Last Time I posted...

westcoast_sooner
1/4/2009, 01:40 AM
a thread here that said why we would win the game was before the Tech game. Turns out I was right - we rolled.

I've been thinking (and reading a lot of posts here, some by UF fans) about this game and have gone from one extreme (no way we can possible do this) to the other (we'll stomp a mud hole in Florida). The truth, I'm convinced, is somewhere in the middle, hopefully more on the OU side than the Florida side.

1) Florida Offense isn't something we've faced before. Truth is, I think we've faced elements of the UF offense, just different times against different teams. Baylor tries to exploit Griffin - but he's not as physical as Tebow. KSU features Josh Freeman - who is big and physical and was a load for our guys to bring down, but doesn't throw well when he's under pressure which we applied. Finally both A&M and Texas would option some so we have played it before - sometimes well, sometimes not. Coach Venables isn't stupid and has had a month to plan for this.

2) Florida's team speed is more than we can handle. Look, we've faced some pretty speedy teams. UF is fast, but it's not like we don't have speed ourselves, and that there aren't things we can do to neutralize their individual advantages.

3) SEC defenses are invincible. Well, we saw last night just how invincible Utah thought the Bama defense was. Our MO all year has been to sprint to a lead and hold it. If we get a 21 point lead against UF, I like our chances we can hold it.

4) Tebow is just too tough. Look, Tebow is good - good enough to win a Heisman Trophy. But he has weaknesses, just like any other player - he's basically key to the win, IMO - stop Tebow and you stop UF. Make him one dimensional. Take away the option - make him run and punish him all game long.

5) Sam hasn't faced pressure like he'll face against UF. The two big defensive challenges we've faced by good defensive teams were against TCU and UT. In both games, Sam still managed to throw for over 300 yards and we still scored 35 - which should be good enough to beat UF.

6) Both TCU and UT stacked the box and dared us to run and in some ways, we failed. Since the loss in Dallas, no defense has stopped our run game - not Tech, not OSU, not anyone. Our O-line was challenged and responded. Our RBs were challenged and responded.

I'm convinced overall, things aren't as bad as they seemed at first look. We actually do have a chance. I posted a thread some time ago about how we were "built road tough" based on comments from the kids earlier. I think this group seems much more mature than the guys that played against USC.

I'm nervously optimistic about Thursday. No distractions, no screw ups - focus on football and getting the job done and I think we bring home number 8.