PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. Coppin State Recap

Sooner04
1/3/2009, 09:52 PM
Like Ahab the Arab aboard Clyde outside of Fatima's tent, the Arkansas game brought the talk of greatness to come to a screeching halt. We can't play defense. Capel's not using the bench properly. We're way too thin (that was my complaint, actually). Once the Chicken Littles scurried away to their bunkers to watch more bowl coverage on ESPN at 4 AM, our basketball team decided to get back to business.

OUSKINS mentioned in another thread that we probably wouldn't learn anything today, but I tend to disagree a tad with that sentiment. We all knew Fang's Brigade would be overmatched, that's a given, but when our stars vacated to the bench it would give us fans a chance to really see what we've got sitting on the bench. Call it a hunch, but I think you'll see the rotation shuffled a bit before we go to Manhattan a week from today. Guys like Omar, Ray and Orlando came out and played really hard off the bench. We've got another scrub game on Monday against Maryland Eastern Shore, so we'll see if they get a bump in minutes from their play today.

Another interesting thing is how we wasted little time in dispatching Coppin State. We've been guilty of playing down with our opponents lately, and that trend continued right into the Arkansas game. It obviously bit us in the tail, and we dug a hole for ourselves that was far too deep. Today, Crocker came out firing and we did nothing but run away and hide. Speaking of which, Crocker's been hot for a spell now. That probably means he'll miss the flight to Manhattan.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 26 [Flew in from Miami Beach B. O. A. C.]
2nd - 19 [Didn't get to bed last night.]
3rd - 23 [All the way the paper bag was on my knee.]
4th - 25 [Man I had a dreadful flight!]

LEADING SCORERS:
20 - Tony Crocker [Dominated from the word go. Stroke looked real good.]
14 - Blake Griffin [Ho-hus, hum-mus]
14 - Willie Warren [Developed into a great outside threat too.]
11 - Omar Leary
10 - "Gamma" Ray Willis [Always got his hand in the cookie jar up there.]

[b]LEADING REBOUNDERS:
12 - Blake Griffin
10 - Taylor Griffin
6 - "Gamma" Ray Willis [Zounds!]

PLUSES:
1. Omar Leary: I was really impressed with Omar today, and it probably had more to do with my infatuation with up-tempo basketball. As good as Austin is defensively, it drives me nuts when he won't take advantage of fast-break opportunities. Omar, today, showed no restraint in pushing the ball up the floor. His 50-foot pass up the floor to Blake was a thing of beauty.

2. "Gamma" Ray Willis: We all know he can score with little to no conscience thought, but I loved how he got after it on the glass. 10 points and six rebounds in 14 minutes on the floor. Even more impressive is when you consider he did that after getting the quick hook in the first half. He was tentative early, but he played "Gamma" Ray ball in the second half.

3. Tony Crocker: I've said all year he's the X-factor. I almost want us to force him into the game by making him shoot until he hits. Consistency from Tony is what will win us the conference. Not 25 one night and two the next. His 20 today was effortless.

4. Orlando Allen: I thought he really played hard out there. His defense reminds me of those old Roller Derby tapes, but I'll give kudos any time somebody grabs four boards and ALL of them are offensive.

5. Rebounding: Speaking of the glass, we outrebounded Coppin State 48-29. Good effort. It must've been a stern talking point in practice.

6. Willie Warren: I take this kid for granted sometimes. 14 points, seven assists against only one turnover for a guy who moonlights at the point. Incredible player, maybe the most talented "true" basketball player on the team.

MINUSES:
1. Austin Johnson: Did he play?

2. Juan Patillo: The first semester is over and I didn't see Juan on the bench. Has the Chupacabra headed back to Vegas?

3. Ryan Wright: If Ryan does not win the Longar Longar/Roberto Duran "Hands of Stone" Award at the postseason banquet I'll riot in the streets of Ardmore for a month.

4. Nick Saban: Little off-topic here, but they said Saban took Alabamuh to see Valkyrie a night or two before the Sugar Bowl. What an uplifting flick! What's he going to show before the home opener in the fall? Schindler's List?

In closing, no, we probably didn't stumble upon anything earth shattering today. That said, it's always nice to see who really puts out the effort when they get meaningful minutes of game time. If those same effort givers get more minutes Monday, maybe we can count on them a little more when we stroll into the teeth of the conference schedule. One more tune-up, then the real fun begins.

Thank you for your time.

8timechamps
1/3/2009, 10:16 PM
Depth, depth, depth...

At this point in the season, we should be able to see some sort of bench depth developing. Sounds like we're a little behind the 8 ball here.

I am officially declaring my man love for Willie. The kid can play (didn't see anything but a highlight of the game, but he's just a ball player).

Valkyrie huh? In Sabin's defense, maybe he thought it was a sequel to Jeff Waltrowski's 2002 Project Valkyrie. You know, the one where the robot destroys 3rd Reich?!

King Crimson
1/3/2009, 10:35 PM
i've always liked Omar. and have defended him on the other boards....i think he's good things for us most of the time.

easy to say that today, but happy to see him have a good game.

King Crimson
1/3/2009, 10:37 PM
those Ukraine girls really knock me out.

8timechamps
1/4/2009, 03:05 AM
3. Ryan Wright: If Ryan does not win the Longar Longar/Roberto Duran "Hands of Stone" Award...

The more I think about this, the more I laugh.

OUSKINS
1/4/2009, 12:41 PM
OUSKINS mentioned in another thread that we probably wouldn't learn anything today, but I tend to disagree a tad with that sentiment. We all knew Fang's Brigade would be overmatched, that's a given, but when our stars vacated to the bench it would give us fans a chance to really see what we've got sitting on the bench.

I'm still not sure we "learned" much, but I do agree that you can judge certain things from this game. Most notably, you can judge energy and focus-- and OU brought both of those things to the table on Saturday afternoon.

Call it a hunch, but I think you'll see the rotation shuffled a bit before we go to Manhattan a week from today. Guys like Omar, Ray and Orlando came out and played really hard off the bench. We've got another scrub game on Monday against Maryland Eastern Shore, so we'll see if they get a bump in minutes from their play today.

This is my biggest criticism of Capel so far this year: His lack of trust in the bench. He has given those guys some decent minutes in the "scrub" games, but they waste away on the pine in every game where we face a decent opponent. It's pretty clear to me he doesn't trust any of those guys outside of Davis. While I understand his apprehension to go with some of those unproven guys in big situations, sometimes, you just have to take the chance.

Crocker came out firing and we did nothing but run away and hide. Speaking of which, Crocker's been hot for a spell now. That probably means he'll miss the flight to Manhattan.

Crocker is going to put me in the looney bin (not that I don't already belong there). The guy drives me nuts. A bit of inconsistency is fine, but he is borderline schizo. His swings of play from brilliance to putridity (totally cool new word I just made up) is mind boggling.

1. Omar Leary: I was really impressed with Omar today, and it probably had more to do with my infatuation with up-tempo basketball. As good as Austin is defensively, it drives me nuts when he won't take advantage of fast-break opportunities. Omar, today, showed no restraint in pushing the ball up the floor. His 50-foot pass up the floor to Blake was a thing of beauty.

I so wish that Omar was a bit bigger and a bit more talented, because that guy does EVERYTHING right on the basketball court. Coaches must love him.

2. "Gamma" Ray Willis: We all know he can score with little to no conscience thought, but I loved how he got after it on the glass. 10 points and six rebounds in 14 minutes on the floor. Even more impressive is when you consider he did that after getting the quick hook in the first half. He was tentative early, but he played "Gamma" Ray ball in the second half.

Players that can score in bunches are always intruiging. Willis has some real skill, but he is also very wild. It is going to take a leap of faith for Capel to trust him to play against the big boys....but Willis can't prove anything if he's sitting on the bench.

4. Orlando Allen: I thought he really played hard out there. His defense reminds me of those old Roller Derby tapes, but I'll give kudos any time somebody grabs four boards and ALL of them are offensive.

By far the best he's ever looked, but the sample size is way small. Not sure if looked better because he's gotten better or because Coppin St. provides the level of competion he merits.

1. Austin Johnson: Did he play?

Leary totally outplayed AJ yesterday, but AJ was doing a decent job guarding the point. Anyway, I don't really care what AJ does in these types of games. Where we need him is to guard the other team's PG and make smart decisions. He needs to be better than he was against Arkansas.

2. Juan Patillo: The first semester is over and I didn't see Juan on the bench. Has the Chupacabra headed back to Vegas?

Didn't notice that. Good catch. It's a concern because I view him as a key to next season.

OUSKINS
1/4/2009, 12:43 PM
Tried to quote 04, but obviously I messed up...I know it makes it hard to decipher what's what...apologies....the internets confuse me :(

snp
1/4/2009, 02:24 PM
Take out the / in [/quote] at the beginning of each text segment that you wish to be quoted.

OUSKINS
1/4/2009, 03:52 PM
snp-- Thanks!